Goodbye OBG

Posted by: Blast

Goodbye OBG - 02/22/09 07:57 PM

For some reason I can't reply in your original post...

OBG, even though we never managed to meet, I've counted you as one of the most influencial people in my life for years. I can't imagine you not being here anymore.

If you promise to come back and say it was just a joke I'll...I'll buy you a popsicle.

Please?

-Blast, feeling like the little boy at the end of "Shane".
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: Goodbye OBG - 02/22/09 08:21 PM

OBG,

I pray that your fini flight will be peaceful....

High Flight
by John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth,
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds...and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of...wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air.
Up, up, the long, delirious burning blue
I've topped the windswept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, nor even eagle flew.
And while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space...
...put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

MSgt Brian E. J. Taylor, USAF Retired
Posted by: Grouch

Re: Goodbye OBG - 02/22/09 09:41 PM

OBG,

May your new journey be the beginning of something wonderful. You and your loved ones will be in our prayers. Godspeed.

-- Grouch
Posted by: GettingThere

Re: Goodbye OBG - 02/22/09 09:57 PM

OBG,

Some people say the true measure of a man's life is in the number of people whose lives he made better, whether for an instant or an eternity. If so, then you have lived well, compadre, as many of us are better people, thanks to your willingness to share. Like the others here, I appreciate your gifts of wisdom that you've given to us, and wish you peace and contentment for the next phase of your journey.
Posted by: oldsoldier

Re: Goodbye OBG - 02/22/09 10:47 PM

OBG, I will miss you brother. You & I think alot alike; I believe we have quoted one another & backed each other up here more than a few times. We have never met, but I count you as a friend. Good luck Brother, we were well met.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Goodbye OBG - 02/22/09 10:56 PM

oh my gods

OBG, may the next life find you reunited with those who stand by you and love you in this one. I know that you'll always be a protector and teacher, in any life.
Posted by: Susan

Re: Goodbye OBG - 02/23/09 12:40 AM

Don, I read your post with tears streaming down my face, searching your words for a hint that this was some kind of awful joke.

I do not have the words to tell you how much you have meant to me and the other members here, I just don't.

Sue
Posted by: kd7fqd

Re: Goodbye OBG - 02/23/09 01:04 AM

OBG You will be missed around the campfire, I know that when you reach the other side others will look to you for advice as we here on earth have. Don just remember all the friends and family you have here at ETS.

God Speed Don

Mike
kd7fqd
Posted by: Loganenator

Re: Goodbye OBG - 02/23/09 01:42 AM

G'bye ol' sage frown

I couldn't help but think of this song when I read your last post. We all will follow you into the sunset one day ol' boy.

Cheers OBG. You have always exuded goodwill and smiles here...thank you for that.

~Logan.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Goodbye OBG - 02/23/09 02:07 AM

OBG:

I have never had the opportunity to meet or talk with you, however I would like you to know that it was reading one of your many posts of wisdom here that motivated me to sign up and be a part of this ETS community.

Today my thoughts are with you and your family. Tiatén:ro (You and I are friends) and I hope that you find Skennen'kó:wa (great peace) wherever you may journey.

Ó:nen ki' wáhi (Goodbye) OBG

Sherpadog
Posted by: leemann

Re: Goodbye OBG - 02/23/09 02:32 AM

OBG You'll be missed Godspeed my friend.

Lee
Posted by: marduk

Re: Goodbye OBG - 02/23/09 02:35 AM

You're in our thoughts and prayers. One prayer is that the docs are wrong.

Re: Goodbye OBG - 02/23/09 03:18 AM

Originally Posted By: marduk
One prayer is that the docs are wrong.

It happened to a close friend over the holidays. He was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer and given a year to live. A few days later, the doctors informed him that they were wrong and that he had no cancer whatsoever. I pray that OBG's doctors are wrong.
Posted by: Tom_L

Re: Goodbye OBG - 02/23/09 05:46 AM

OBG, we have never talked in person and we may never meet online again but my thoughts are with you. May you find all the strength and courage you will need for your final journey. Goodbye and Godspeed!
Posted by: Chisel

Re: Goodbye OBG - 02/23/09 06:16 AM

I come to this forum to learn preparedness
But this is news that one can never be prepared.

OBG
For watever time left for us in this life, we will remember you

Posted by: Todd W

Re: Goodbye OBG - 02/23/09 08:00 AM

You can prepare for many things and this is not one of them. You will be missed OBG and it will not be the same w/out your replies here.
Posted by: Mike_H

Re: Goodbye OBG - 02/23/09 12:29 PM

OBG,

The prayers of my family and I are with you. Thank you for joining us here. I hope that you are prepared with your ultimate PSP for the journey we will all take.

God bless,

Mike
Posted by: enolson484

Re: Goodbye OBG - 02/23/09 01:07 PM

OBG;

May you have fair winds and following seas as you embark on the last great adventure.

Semper Fidelis.
Posted by: CAP613

Re: Goodbye OBG - 02/23/09 01:08 PM

OBG,

My and my families prayers go with you and your loved ones. Thank you for sharing your wisdom here. My you find calm
winds and blue skies.
Posted by: Arney

Re: Goodbye OBG - 02/23/09 01:45 PM

I'm still in shock at reading the news...

OBG, you've always been a class act on ETS, and I can only assume, in real life as well. Our thoughts and prayers go out to you during this time.
Posted by: DesertFox

Re: Goodbye OBG - 02/23/09 02:10 PM

Hope the docs are wrong. I have always looked forward to your posts, OBG. You and yours are in our thoughts and prayers
Posted by: Erik_B

Re: Goodbye OBG - 02/23/09 04:12 PM

The Old Bald one's been here from the start,
Making this place's madness a form of art.
Sharing his wisdom and telling tales
That geezer's cander never fails.
An inspiration to us all,
And we all now mourn
The coming fall.
Fare Well.
Posted by: billym

Re: Goodbye OBG - 02/23/09 04:32 PM

OBG,
I have not been too active lately here at ETS.
I was very sad to hear of your illness. I hope and pray that you can heal and stay with us in this world for a bit longer. If not then God Speed my friend.
You have always been a very very important member of this forum.
We will miss you but you won't be forgotten.
Peace
Billy
Posted by: Ranter

Re: Goodbye OBG - 02/23/09 06:46 PM

You will be missed sir. I lurked forever before finally joining ETS, always enjoyed and looked forward to reading OBG's posts.
Posted by: Mhallcinci

Re: Goodbye OBG - 02/23/09 07:58 PM

There isn't a smiley sad enough for this post.....been lurking here for years before I even registered...still this is my first post. Call me one of the quiet ones. OBG, you're one of my favorite posters.....lets hope things turn out well for you. Easy travels. frown frown

Posted by: raptor

Re: Goodbye OBG - 02/23/09 08:05 PM

I am very sory to read this.:( What a shock. I hope there is some chance of curing.
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Goodbye OBG - 02/23/09 08:09 PM

Old Bald Guy,

My and my family's prayers go out to you and your family.

I also pray that your Dr's are wrong!

As Susan has said, "There are people we have come to "know" and there are the people that we have "met"!

Thank you for sharing your wisdom and your unique sense of humor with all of us.

If worse comes to worse, I'll see you the other side!

Peace be with you and yours, OBG

Bo & Edie
Posted by: paramedicpete

Re: Goodbye OBG - 02/23/09 08:30 PM

I feel like I have been gut punched and the pain just will not go away. I am absolutely numb with the sense of loss. You Sir, are a class act and I will deeply miss your words of wisdom. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Pete
Posted by: Xterior

Re: Goodbye OBG - 02/23/09 08:57 PM

What words are there to say to this verry sad an bad news.

I just hope your docters are wrong.

You will be missed.
Posted by: stevenpd

Re: Goodbye OBG - 02/23/09 09:06 PM

OBG,

ETS and the world will be lessened by your disappearance.

God speed and see you at the great campfire in the sky.
Posted by: nurit

Re: Goodbye OBG - 02/23/09 10:31 PM

Dear OBG,

We've prepared for many a disaster, but not for this ... losing you!

I too hope, very much, that your doctors are wrong.

all the best to you,
Nurit
Posted by: dweste

Re: Goodbye OBG - 02/23/09 10:35 PM

However it seems, you are not alone. Add me to those who send you thanks, and support, and courage, and strong best wishes.

Was hoping to meet in this world, guess I'll just hope there is a next. A little angry at God right now, though I know that's pretty foolish and selfish.

You have done well; take your rest if that's what must be.
Posted by: Comanche7

Re: Goodbye OBG - 02/23/09 11:06 PM

Hi OBG,

Although we've only exchanged a few PM's and other messages over the years, I've truly enjoyed the conversations and have spent many hours looking over the various posts that you've been a part of.

It is with much heartfelt regret that I read your post and learned about this latest challenge. You have brought a lot of both wisdom and wit to the forums, you will be sorely missed, but remembered kindly for years to come.

I realize that you may never see this message, but if you do, please know that it comes from the heart and that I thank you for being you for all the good that you've performed in your life.

May we cross paths again my friend.
Best regards, Comanche7
Posted by: boatman

Re: Goodbye OBG - 02/23/09 11:13 PM

It is always sad to see one's as your self go.And I pray It is not to be.I seldom post but I'm all the time there(the quiet one in the background)and I always would check your posts first.You were the pillar of logic to me.Your knoledge,freindship,and kindness will be irreplaceable.You were always one of the first one's to welcome the new guy's.In the Navy you would be considered a Sea Daddy.(Damn it's hard typing through tears!)Fair winds and following seas and may the peace of God be upon you.

Gods speed on your next journey

Boatman

Re: Goodbye OBG - 02/24/09 12:03 AM

Hey....again..sorry for being the lurker. Is there a fund for giving either funds to OBG or to a group he supports? I'm in for $100 bucks....just need to know where to send it..anyone else?

Re: Goodbye OBG - 02/24/09 12:06 AM

I would like to contribute either $100 bucks to either OBG directly or a group he supports...Is there anyone able to either find a group or start one?
Posted by: Kris

Re: Goodbye OBG - 02/24/09 12:39 AM

I'm in for a contribution... whatever it is count me in.
Posted by: nouseforaname

Re: Goodbye OBG - 02/24/09 12:39 AM

you're the kind of guy who people listen to when you post - i can only imagine it is that way when hearing you speak.
you don't know me from Adam, but you should know that what you have offered has benefited more than you realize.

one can tell when someone has the Lord at their back...

G-d speed, good sir.
Posted by: falcon5000

Re: Goodbye OBG - 02/24/09 12:52 AM

Mhallcinci brought up a good idea on a donation or some sort of thing that we could do to either help his family or commemorate him for his contributions through the years with ETS. I wonder if Susan may have any ideas on the best way to handle this. If there is a donation to help out his family or what have you, I would be interested in contributing as well. Does anybody have any ideas of the best way to handle this?
Posted by: ki4buc

Re: Goodbye OBG - 02/24/09 03:13 AM

OBG,

I enjoyed your posts thoroughly through the years. I also hope the docs are wrong and you are here a few more years with us.

As for donations, etc. The first thing that popped into my head was an ETS Cap... Maybe someone else has a better idea.

It might be too little, too late, but what about printing out these threads and sending them to him? It sounds like people know him personally.
Posted by: 2005RedTJ

Re: Goodbye OBG - 02/24/09 04:39 AM

I never actually met you, but Via Con Dios. We lost a fellow offroader last year to cancer. He was just a little over 20 years old. He never once got down about his situation, he was always smiling when you saw him. We all chipped in and rebuilt his Jeep for him with the help of a couple of local 4x4 shops. So many people showed up to work on it, it was amazing. The shops donated free parts, labor, everything.

We delivered it to him at the hospital, I actually got to be the one to drive it there. The look on his face when he saw it said it all. He actually got to ride in it one time before he passed away.

His last wish was for everyone in our local club to come to the funeral in jeans and club t-shirts and drive our rigs in the funeral. Most of the folks had never seen a rock-crawling buggy, full exo-cage, on 39" tires in a funeral procession. I had his dad toss a Spicer universal joint from my Jeep in the grave before it was filled in. Spicer brand is tough stuff, but nowhere near as tough as Zach was.

I still get really sad when I see a thread on our local forum with his posts in it. But I know he's in a better place and is no longer in pain.
Posted by: digimark

Re: Goodbye OBG - 02/24/09 04:45 AM

OBG: I'm devastated by your news. I've only been participating in ETS Forums for a short time, but I've looked forward to your postings -- you always had a smile or a unique insight to offer, and I see you, Blast, Ironraven, Wildman800 and several others as the mentors of our discussion.

You're now facing the one, final adventure we will all face sooner than we will want, and I hope you find comfort in knowing the positive impact you've had on us here. I will raise a glass of cheer to you and wish for you calm seas, a fair wind at your back and a bright star to sail towards. We'll see you soon.
Posted by: Desperado

Re: Goodbye OBG - 02/24/09 04:54 AM

Re: hiking staffs
OldBaldGuy
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
My Dad used to smoke a pipe, and carried a bunch of kitchen matches in his front pants pocket. One day they all ignited, you can imagine what got singed!!<br><br>

Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote Notify Email Post

OBG Post #1 of 5704

Knowledge and Humor.....

With Class.

Re: Goodbye OBG - 02/24/09 09:33 AM

I don't know OBG outside of this forum but I always look(ed) forward to his insightful and humorous contributions. With that said, I find myself getting surprisingly wistful while reading this thread and I miss him already. frown

I'm not giving up though, since doctors can be wrong and people can overcome tremendous obstacles. If OBG returns, it will be a glorious event! If not, he will live on here and in the memories of each of us who were lucky enough to share this space with him. smile
Posted by: LoneWolf

Re: Goodbye OBG - 02/24/09 11:13 AM

I haven't the words. We never met, but I still feel like you are friend that I have come to know.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

LW
Posted by: ChristinaRodriguez

Re: Goodbye OBG - 02/24/09 04:12 PM

Thank you, OBG, for all that you've contributed to this forum. We've all appreciated having you here. Best of luck with this next stage of your life; our thoughts and prayers will be with you during this difficult time.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Goodbye OBG - 02/24/09 06:00 PM

Having re-read for the 2nd or 3rd time this thread, after the other one froze-up, I wonder if there's any way for OBG to read how he's touched all of us?

He mentioned in that last post that he wouldn't be back, so I ownder if he's even seeing these posts. For the moderators, is there any way to track down his DW and have a print out of all these well wishes sent? Perhaps be bought from or donated to ETS over the years? There should be some delivery address if so.

OBG, like the rest here, I'm going to miss your insights - "Sea daddy" sums it up nicely. Every time I'm back home with my parents I wonder if you're the old guy driving an RV whenever I pass one. I caught myself today reading something and waiting for your thoughts on the topic. Your absence is already being noticed.
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: Goodbye OBG - 02/24/09 07:47 PM

The control panel above the forums has a MEMBER box.
By clicking this you can see who was last online.
OBG has been on a few times.
I don't know if he can type or return messages, but he sees them.

Re: Goodbye OBG - 02/24/09 07:48 PM

Originally Posted By: MDinana
Having re-read for the 2nd or 3rd time this thread, after the other one froze-up, I wonder if there's any way for OBG to read how he's touched all of us?

He mentioned in that last post that he wouldn't be back, so I ownder if he's even seeing these posts. For the moderators, is there any way to track down his DW and have a print out of all these well wishes sent? Perhaps be bought from or donated to ETS over the years? There should be some delivery address if so.

OBG, like the rest here, I'm going to miss your insights - "Sea daddy" sums it up nicely. Every time I'm back home with my parents I wonder if you're the old guy driving an RV whenever I pass one. I caught myself today reading something and waiting for your thoughts on the topic. Your absence is already being noticed.

I agree that OBG touched many, and am glad you thought of this. I have OBG's email, and assume that it is shared with his wife. I have made a PDF copy of the two threads and shall forward them to said address.

EDIT: Maybe I better talk to the Moderators and Doug first. I really don't want to step on any toes with this.

I will email Doug and hit notify for Mods.
Posted by: boatman

Re: Goodbye OBG - 02/24/09 08:32 PM

Perhaps a donation to the ETS foundation in his memory would also not be out of the question.

Re: Goodbye OBG - 02/24/09 09:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Desperado
Originally Posted By: MDinana

I agree that OBG touched many, and am glad you thought of this. I have OBG's email, and assume that it is shared with his wife. I have made a PDF copy of the two threads and shall forward them to said address.

EDIT: Maybe I better talk to the Moderators and Doug first. I really don't want to step on any toes with this.

I will email Doug and hit notify for Mods.

Both threads have been converted to a PDF and emailed on to OBG's email. I shall update the PDF to him and his family unless either asks me to stop.

Re: Goodbye OBG - 02/24/09 10:00 PM

Mhallcinci brought up a good idea on a donation or some sort of thing that we could do to either help his family or commemorate him for his contributions through the years with ETS. I wonder if Susan may have any ideas on the best way to handle this. If there is a donation to help out his family or what have you, I would be interested in contributing as well. Does anybody have any ideas of the best way to handle this?

I can see either a contribution to ETS or the American Cancer Socitey.....does anyone have any direct contact with OBG or his family? I would perfer to give to a cause they believe in just to make it more personal.
Posted by: ki4buc

Re: Goodbye OBG - 02/24/09 10:40 PM

Relay For Life is coming up.

http://www.relayforlife.org/relay/

Non-Corporate Team Membership:
http://www.relayforlife.org/relay/nonctp
Posted by: TomP

Re: Goodbye OBG - 02/25/09 02:52 AM

Good-bye OBG. We are all thinking of you. You are not alone.
Posted by: widget

Re: Goodbye OBG - 02/26/09 01:34 AM

God bless you OBG. We will all miss you and have been privileged to have shared your wisdom. My prayers are with you sir.

Re: Goodbye OBG - 02/27/09 07:01 PM

I can see either a contribution to ETS or the American Cancer Socitey.....does anyone have any direct contact with OBG or his family? I would perfer to give to a cause they believe in just to make it more personal. [/quote]

I went and did a donation to ETS......I figured since thats how I "met" OBG it just made sense.
Posted by: climberslacker

Re: Goodbye OBG - 05/06/09 11:56 PM

OBG, you dont know how I much I respected you, and how much I looked up to you, as always being the "young one" of the forum, you and a select few others were always there to offer me advice, and wisdom, and for that, I thank you!

-CS