major error weather forcast by Acuweather

Posted by: picard120

major error weather forcast by Acuweather - 02/12/09 03:32 AM

I notice a significant error in weather forcast.

Accuweather forecast temperature differ by several degrees from the weather network.

How can this error vary so much? I rely on weather network since I found it to be more accurate. Accuweather report the temp in Toronto only plus 3 when it is suppose to be plus 7 degrees Celcius.

Is the weather network more reliable than other weather channels?
Posted by: Blast

Re: major error weather forcast by Acuweather - 02/12/09 03:46 AM

Wait a minute, computer models of weather aren't accurate?!

whistle
-Blast
Posted by: Todd W

Re: major error weather forcast by Acuweather - 02/12/09 06:10 AM

L O L@ Blast.

The nearest station is like across a river and in another county.. ya not very accurate. The nearest town is always +10 or -10. They may have no snow while I get 1ft.... ya not accurate... I guess that's how it is when you are not in a HUGE CITY.

We had winter storm warning last night 10 to 20" of snow... we got 4". Then snow today we got .2" until I left at 5pm then we had 4" in 2 hours, and climbing... hmmm.

Posted by: unimogbert

Re: major error weather forcast by Acuweather - 02/12/09 12:54 PM

You're worried about a three degree variation?

You ought to try being a PILOT and THEN you'll see why you need to do your own wx forecasting.

The weather guesser is like the stockpickers on MSNBC. They do the best they can but none get fired for being wrong so they don't get much better nor apologize for being blatantly wrong.

Have you heard that the issue is no longer "global warming?"
It's now "global climate change." Just to be sure all the bases are covered ;-)

Posted by: ironraven

Re: major error weather forcast by Acuweather - 02/12/09 11:07 PM

*laughs*

Four degrees celcius....

I've seen that much of a temperature change in three miles.

It isn't an exact science.
Posted by: Be_Prepared

Re: major error weather forcast by Acuweather - 02/12/09 11:47 PM

I'm happy if they can tell the difference between blizzards and sunny days grin or maybe if I need to start building an ark or something? Beyond that, I don't have a lot of faith in them.
Posted by: Desperado

Re: major error weather forcast by Acuweather - 02/13/09 04:00 AM

18 years ago, I met a full bird colonel that had been a weather forecaster for longer than I have been alive now. We were out in the field on a two week FTX. Storms were brewing and he was watching the radar in the weather guys mobile weather lab. I was asking all the good questions like "what is tomorrows weather like" and "why can't they ever get the weather right on TV".

His response was "that is why meteorologist call each other weather GUESSERS"

Right after that he asked me where the nearest building with a basement was. Then he pointed to the radar and said "That is a tornado headed this way, we have less than 10 min. to find a hole to hide in."

We were in a GP Medium tent at the time.....
Posted by: airballrad

Re: major error weather forcast by Acuweather - 02/13/09 01:14 PM

Desperado, you have some great stories. You better finish that one! Did he guess right? wink

To the Original Poster: You're technically inclined and currently seeking a job; maybe this could be a new career? In all seriousness...
Posted by: UncleGoo

Re: major error weather forcast by Acuweather - 02/13/09 03:04 PM

There really are only three temperatures: "too hot," "too cold," and "this'll do, pass me a margarita."
Posted by: Desperado

Re: major error weather forcast by Acuweather - 02/13/09 09:20 PM

Yeah, it was about 1/4 of a mile away to the south, moving west to east.
We could only see it in the lightning flashes.
Fine with me it got no closer.

I have also been accused of being a bullet magnet.
Posted by: Roarmeister

Re: major error weather forcast by Acuweather - 02/14/09 05:34 PM

Geographically Toronto is a pretty big place. Where were the weather stations? Typically at airports because the need for accurate weather is greater there. However you may have intermediate weather stations throughout the city that vary by a considerable margin. Plus if the WS is near buildings and pavement, the temperature is going to be warmer no matter what.

In my little city of Regina, I live on the east end, airport is on the west end and the difference in weather is often considerable. It can be bone dry at the airport and a complete deluge of rain on the north-east. This has happened a couple of times where I've been able to physically verify it by driving through town.