I need help with job interview.

Posted by: picard120

I need help with job interview. - 02/08/09 05:45 AM

I need help with job interview. I work as a contractor in IT field.

I went through the routine of answering technical & behaviroral quesitons.

what should I say to the interviewer at the end that will convince him that I am interested in the job.

I just not good at selling my self. I am currently suffering depression now thus my voice might not sound enthusiastic to the interviewer. I tried to speak more enthusiastically but no avail.

one of the question interview ask for 1 of your strongest strength.
Should I just say that I am well trained to deal with customer service since I have extensive hands on dealing with irate users.

for weakness question: Should I say that I don't have weakness that might hinder my performance on the job? Is this a good answer?

I feel nervous on interview thus sometimes my eyes avert around the interviewer although my mind is focus on the question.

Do guys tend to avert their eyes in direct conversation with ppl than women?
Posted by: scafool

Re: I need help with job interview. - 02/08/09 07:40 AM

Relax and smile, Picard. Just remembering that will put you in a much better position.

Most of the interview questions are really meaningless as questions and are really just meant to test your reactions to them.
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: I need help with job interview. - 02/08/09 01:50 PM

Unfortunately, most employers rely heavily on the interview rather than a hands on assessment of the skill required for the job. Yes, they are looking for reactions, but this is usually the only time your potential future boss will get to make an assessment of your job skills. Technical knowledge may be what they are looking for, or it could be the Human Resources department conducting the interviews, in which case they may no know any of the technical aspects of the job. Every company seems to do it differently.

If you technical knowledge is good, but you have trouble with the interview process, I would suggest some practice with friends. There are numerous web sites which are designed to help job seekers with interviewing and contain typical questions. Have your friends interview you, and get them to be tough on you. This is good rehearsal and will build confidence.

Next, go to more job interviews. You may not get the job, but the experience with the various processes used by different companies will also aid in confidence building. The education you will gain from this is priceless.

When answering questions, be direct and answer confidently. Do not "stare" into their eyes. Be polite and professional and do not come across as antagonistic, regardless of the questions asked. The interviewers have only a short interview to find out if you can do the job, will fit in with the company, didn't lie on your resume and that you will not be a liability to the company. While it may seem like a game, hiring good people is critical to any company. It is a shame that they rely so heavily on a short interview.
Posted by: Russ

Re: I need help with job interview. - 02/08/09 02:16 PM

Quote:
what should I say to the interviewer at the end that will convince him that I am interested in the job.
He knows you're interested in the job, the question in his mind is whether or not he's interested in you. The only time I ever walked into a job cold was 1971, things have changed. I was asked questions across a variety of topics and all I did was answer and carry my side of the conversation. I made eye contact and answered the questions honestly -- this is my opinion and I don't care if you don't like it.

I get the impression from your posts here that you lack self confidence/self esteem and it's probably apparent in interviews. If you don't like you, why should they hire you?
Posted by: Eric

Re: I need help with job interview. - 02/08/09 02:44 PM

A lot of this depends more on the interviewer than on you. If they are using behavioral questions they are probably looking for specific natural strengths or tendencies - not "you are good at things" but more like the you are passionate or energized about things. They know how these strengths map to job performance (hopefully) and want hire people who fit the preferred profile. Good interviewers understand the process and that there are different routes to the same destination - bad ones are checking off the boxes on the form. frown

You need to be able to explain why your strengths make you an excellent candidate for the job. To do that you need to know the specifics of your strengths and how you would apply them on the job. This is why you get questions like - tell me about a time when.... A good interviewer is looking for a specific example, not a hypothetical. This is when you get to highlight how you applied your strengths and skills and sell yourself as a good fit for the job.

Of course this works better (for you and the interviewer) when you know what your natural strengths are - what are the things at work that you could do all day and feel energized about. Are there things that you really look forward to at work - when are you "in the zone" and time just flys on by?

- Eric

Posted by: Andrew_S

Re: I need help with job interview. - 02/08/09 02:59 PM

Originally Posted By: picard120
for weakness question: Should I say that I don't have weakness that might hinder my performance on the job? Is this a good answer?

No, terrible answer. What the interviewer takes from that is that you can't learn from your mistakes, because you don't think you make any.

The way to answer the infamous weakness question is to describe some weakness, and then also describe how you are working on overcoming that weakness. This shows that you are aware of your shortcomings and are always working on improvement.
Posted by: Desperado

Re: I need help with job interview. - 02/08/09 03:04 PM

Do not focus on wanting the job, but on what the company need's are currently and in the near future. Ask questions according to the research you have done about the company. Current and future projects. Ask the interviewer what challenges they face and the show them what solutions you bring to the table. Your hard skills are getting your foot in the door. Now it is time for your critical thinking and soft skills to land you the job offer.
Posted by: KG2V

Re: I need help with job interview. - 02/08/09 03:53 PM

I've always wondered if I should answer the weakness question

"I don't come across my best when being interviewed"
Posted by: Dagny

Re: I need help with job interview. - 02/08/09 03:54 PM

Lots of good advice here.

Do you know anyone who has done hiring who could help you practice? I've been on both ends of the process and practice helps. Keep in mind that interviews are as individual as the people doing the interviewing.

Try to put yourself in the interviewer's shoes, and imagine what questions you'd ask if you were looking at your resume. How would your technical skill-set help their organization? How would your "soft skills" help -- your capacity for teamwork, your work ethic, your drive to succeed and contribute?

Everywhere I've done hiring, what I'm looking for in the interview is a sense of the person and answers to any questions the resume poses (such as clarifying what exactly they did in those jobs and looking for an explanation of gaps between jobs). Some tips:

1) SCRUB YOUR RESUME and have others do so, too. Make sure there are no errors. Your resume is the first clue to your "attention-to-detail."

2) BRING COPIES OF YOUR RESUME TO THE INTERVIEW. In case the interviewer misplaced it, they'll appreciate you having extras handy.

3) No matter what, follow up the interview with a typed THANK YOU NOTE. This alone will set you apart from the crowd -- especially these days. E-mails are no substitute for old-fashioned snail-mail, even in IT. And if you aren't the right fit for this job, the thank you note will make it more likely they'll keep you in mind for the future.

4) ASK STRATEGIC QUESTIONS. A good interview is a two-way conversation. You are also interviewing that workplace. Know as much as you can going in to the interview and plan beforehand a couple of questions that show your knowledge and demonstrate your strategic sense (including who else you'd be working with and how long they've been there -- a team player wants to know about their future team).

5) INVENTORY YOUR STRENGTHS -- and have them on the tip of your tongue. Your technical qualifications, past successes, personal attributes (teamworker, hardworker, quick learner)

6) BE ABLE TO ARTICULATE A WEAKNESS -- I never ask this question but it is not uncommon. Can't say I have a stock answer but would try to formulate in advance a weakness that also conveys a strength. (perhaps the ETS gang can help with this)

7) Be rested and try to be relaxed when you go in. Give it your best shot and know that even if that situation doesn't work out you can gain from the process.

The interviewer wants you to succeed. They want to like you and know that you can do the job so they can hire you and get on with their own job.

Have faith.

Posted by: GarlyDog

Re: I need help with job interview. - 02/08/09 04:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Dagny

6) BE ABLE TO ARTICULATE A WEAKNESS -- I never ask this question but it is not uncommon. Can't say I have a stock answer but would try to formulate in advance a weakness that also conveys a strength. (perhaps the ETS gang can help with this)

How about "I have been accused of being a perfectionist at times. Sometimes perfection isn't the best answer when costs have to be measured or funds are limited. This one is hard for me so I do my best utilizing the available resources, time, money, etc."
Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Re: I need help with job interview. - 02/08/09 05:40 PM

Originally Posted By: GarlyDog
Originally Posted By: Dagny

How about "I have been accused of being a perfectionist at times. Sometimes perfection isn't the best answer when costs have to be measured or funds are limited. This one is hard for me so I do my best utilizing the available resources, time, money, etc."

Wrong answer! See:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start...4kcF-wAh8XybwzA
Posted by: Andy

Re: I need help with job interview. - 02/08/09 06:40 PM

I have spent a lot of time interviewing job candidates. I don't follow the standard HR protocol because I'm not an HR person, I'm the guy who needs folks to produce.

The best candidates are those folks who have the requisite skills and experience and who also voice their interest in contributing to the success of the company. If you a good technical fit then please tell the interviewer that you're looking for work (not a job), that you want to contribute (and sound like you nean it), you're anxious to learn how to help the company grow, that you understand that the company's success is yours (not the other way round), that you're confident in your abilities and you enjoy a challenge.

If you can also point to examples of tasks done/work experiences that show these qualities, the specifics will re-inforce your position.

Try to relax. Remember that the interviewer has a problem. He/she needs somebody to fill a position. He wants to do that with the least amount of work possible. If you can make her believe that you are her solution, the deal's done.

One last thing, please do not ever say "How will taking this job help me get my next job?" I hear that all the time from IT folks. My answer is always, "You can starting looking now". End of interview.
Posted by: Tom_L

Re: I need help with job interview. - 02/08/09 07:47 PM

Respectfully, there seems to be a problem more serious than just being afraid of a job interview. Forgive me if my impression is wrong but in some of your earlier posts you indicated you'd like to improve your confidence and self-esteem.

These are common issues and I can partly relate to them, being an introverted guy by nature. Still, if your fears go so far as to hinder you from achieving your major goals I think it might be better to confront them once and for all or they will impede your progress for the rest of your life.

I am no psychologist but perhaps there are some simple steps that might resolve your real issues. Think of your true fears. Everybody has some weak points. Some are afraid of snakes, some can't cope with failure (or even the thought of it), others hate formally speaking in public (count me in!), maybe it is unsuccessful relationships in the past or problems in the family. Deep down I'm sure you know already what it is.

Now think about it again. Why should any fears from your past stand in the way of your future? Try to visualize yourself at the job interview. What's the worst thing that can happen to you? You'll get laughed at and thrown out. Might be embarassing but on a 1-10 scale, it ranks dead low on my disaster list. So low it's not even worth worrying about. We've all made a fool of ourselves many more times that we can remember. So what? It's not even a disaster, just a little embarassment. Remember, if people laugh at you, it's best to laugh with them. Don't take life too seriously because it really isn't. Our existence in this world is so short, why make it miserable? Make the best out of it you can, be a good man but most of all, relax and enjoy life. Unless you're Buddhist, you won't get another chance. wink

The more you interact with people (especially new contacts) the more comfortable you'll be at a job interview. You have absolutely nothing to lose! Find something that you're really good at and feel the pride. You're no worse than anybody else out there so why should you feel inferior or inadequate in any way?

Finally, start working out regularly if you're not doing already. Your mind and body are closely connected and you should keep both in good shape. Another very simple thing that has helped me a great deal in difficult times is Zen meditation. You can learn it in a few days but it will take your concentration and inner peace to a whole new level.
http://www.mro.org/zmm/teachings/meditation.php

Anyway, best of luck and may you reach every goal you ever wanted to achieve!
Posted by: MDinana

Re: I need help with job interview. - 02/09/09 12:30 AM

one of the question interview ask for 1 of your strongest strength.
Should I just say that I am well trained to deal with customer service since I have extensive hands on dealing with irate users.

I would NEVER answer the first question that way. It sounds like you're MAKING lots of pissed off customers, then having to correct those issues. Just leave off everthing after "since" and that answer is much better.

Weakness... always tough. I haven't found a good answer for that yet. I tend to just say that my one of my strengths is confidence, which can be mistaken for arrogance. Which is kinda-sorta true.

Probably the best thing is to get treated for depression. It takes a while, but can be done. Good luck, I know from first hand experience how debilitating it can be.
Posted by: Russ

Re: I need help with job interview. - 02/09/09 01:09 AM

I am glad I didn't have any of those questions posed, don't know how I'd've handled them. I guess honestly with eye contact. Weakness? I tend to over-think and I would probably have over-thought and not realized that was my weakness. I work better on a compressed schedule, less opportunity to rethink. . .

Really though, I don't like to game interviews. I'd rather take them cold and just talk. I guess some could consider that a lack of preparation.
Posted by: MedB

Re: I need help with job interview. - 02/09/09 05:25 AM

Some personal examples of ways I've answered the weakness question...

"I was not lucky enough to be born with a natural organization gene, therefore I've worked very hard at developing good organizational habits that have become real survival skills in my career. Things like religious use of a DayTimer, Task Lists, etc have helped me to excel."

"One growth opportunity I see for myself is continuing to develop my ability to deal with folks who are highly risk-averse. In the past I found it challening to partner with folks who dismiss new methods and thinking out of hand. As a result, I've worked hard to develop an understanding of those behaviors so I can help them win and build a relationship in the process. But I think one can never be too good at that so I will continue to work on it."

Be honest. Show self-awareness. Show growth. Be positive.

Posted by: MedB

Re: I need help with job interview. - 02/09/09 05:36 AM

If you want to show inerest at the end of an interview, one method that I've seen applicants use is the following...

Method
1 - Tell them that you think it might be a great fit
2 - Tell them you want to learn more about the company and in particular the cutlure.
3 - Ask what opportunities might exist and/or offer possibilities

I've had applicants ask about our community outreach so they could get to know our people. Others have asked about meeting some of the employees and/or attending part on an orientation as an observer.

It's bold for sure, but if you want show "they are the one", it's a strong strategy.
Posted by: Mike_H

Re: I need help with job interview. - 02/09/09 01:43 PM

As an IT person myself, it is critical to be able to talk about your prior positions, what you learned, how the team functioned, etc...

I've had many variations on different interviews. Some don't tech me at all, other do a personal one first, then if they like me, do a more in depth tech as a second interview. Others just rely on the tech alone.

My problem is that I don't often tech interview well. They ask for definitions of terms and such sometimes, which is completely moronic since any good IT person knows they can look up specific syntax and use as needed. It is impossible to hold every scrap of programming knowledge in your head at all times. I usually try to convy that in the personal interview beforehand.
Posted by: ratbert42

Re: I need help with job interview. - 02/10/09 02:39 AM

Ask questions. I hate interviewing people that don't have any questions for me. Ask about their customers, history, financials, etc. Get the interviewer to talk about themselves too. People like to talk about themselves.

I don't worry too much if someone doesn't make much eye contact. I'm hiring software developers. I expect quirks and nervousness, especially in a job interview. I just need to see that they're capable of communicating with others without making everyone mad. It'd be a lot different if I were hiring in sales or consulting.

Posted by: ch451

Re: I need help with job interview. - 02/10/09 03:22 AM

Your best bet if you are single is to go on a bunch of blind dates. If your in a relationship, think back to your first few dates. A job interview is just like a first date. Think about it, when you find or have found that special someone, you had to sell yourself to that person and if you are good that person bought "the goods" ask yourself why? Because you offered something that they saw or were interested in. Employers are the same. I think that getting a second date is harder than getting a job. IMO Because you have KSA's Knowledge, Skills and abilities. In an interview you have resume with your KSA, all you have to do is explain your KSA's, be personal and how it will help the company, I wish you could just had out resumes for dating but you can't you have to sell yourself for that next date. Your ability to sell yourself or interview is as easy as dating. Hope this helps. I had a professor who explained it like this once. Good luck

Re: I need help with job interview. - 02/10/09 04:03 AM

thank you for all your help. I appreciate it very much.

Is it legal for me to tape the interview? I want to be sure the company doesn't dump for for racist reason.

Re: I need help with job interview. - 02/10/09 04:08 AM

Originally Posted By: MedB
Some personal examples of ways I've answered the weakness question...

"I was not lucky enough to be born with a natural organization gene, therefore I've worked very hard at developing good organizational habits that have become real survival skills in my career. Things like religious use of a DayTimer, Task Lists, etc have helped me to excel."

"One growth opportunity I see for myself is continuing to develop my ability to deal with folks who are highly risk-averse. In the past I found it challening to partner with folks who dismiss new methods and thinking out of hand. As a result, I've worked hard to develop an understanding of those behaviors so I can help them win and build a relationship in the process. But I think one can never be too good at that so I will continue to work on it."

Be honest. Show self-awareness. Show growth. Be positive.

your answer sounds good. I will use it.
Posted by: Dan_McI

Re: I need help with job interview. - 02/10/09 09:59 PM

Is it legal for me to tape the interview? I want to be sure the company doesn't dump for for racist reason.

I think that would not be a good move. Interviews are subjective things. Thinking you need to tape an interview is telling your interviewer you already do not trust them. That's not creating a good environment within which to have an interview or work.

Good luck.
Posted by: JCWohlschlag

Re: I need help with job interview. - 02/10/09 11:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Dan_McI

I think that would not be a good move. Interviews are subjective things. Thinking you need to tape an interview is telling your interviewer you already do not trust them. That's not creating a good environment within which to have an interview or work.

Good luck.

Additionally, no one here would be able to answer your question without knowing what state or country you live in. The recording and wiretapping laws are different from state to state with some requiring only one party being recorded giving consent and some requiring that all parties being recorded giving consent. Some states also make distinctions between recording an electronic conversation, i.e., a telephone conversation, versus a face-to-face oral conversation, in that consent is required in the former while only advisement is required in the latter. Some states not only take expectation of privacy into consideration, but take the additional expectation of non-interception as well. If you would like to research this subject further yourself, feel free to check out The Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press: Can We Tape?

Once you understand where your legal boundaries lie, consider Dan_Mcl’s argument to its appropriateness. wink

Re: I need help with job interview. - 02/11/09 04:33 AM

Originally Posted By: JCWohlschlag
Originally Posted By: Dan_McI

Good luck.

Additionally, no one here would be able to answer your question without knowing what state or country you live in. The recording and wiretapping laws are different from state to state with some requiring only one party being recorded giving consent and some requiring that all parties being recorded giving consent. Some states also make distinctions between recording an electronic conversation, i.e., a telephone conversation, versus a face-to-face oral conversation, in that consent is required in the former while only advisement is required in the latter. Some states not only take expectation of privacy into consideration, but take the additional expectation of non-interception as well. If you would like to research this subject further yourself, feel free to check out The Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press: Can We Tape?

Once you understand where your legal boundaries lie, consider Dan_Mcl’s argument to its appropriateness. wink

I am from Canada. I went to previous job interviews which interviewer said I fit the role that they want. however they chose another dirt bag. I [censored] me off.

Re: I need help with job interview. - 02/11/09 04:34 AM

[censored] out of them. I can't tolerate such companies.
Posted by: Desperado

Re: I need help with job interview. - 02/11/09 04:45 AM

IF you choose to record your interview, I would do it on the sly. When I was a hiring manager at a large company, we recorded all interviews and counseling/performance review sessions to cover our butts.

Don't know if it was legal, but it was insurance. Proving racial bias is going to be difficult in a hiring situation though. There are too many ways to say someone else is a better "fit" than another.

Case in point:

Large metropolitan police department I applied with. I passed all of their tests. (written, physical agility, physical fitness, background check, three interview boards, polygraph and psychological)

I was then told I did not meet the requirements of the department.

I knew my recruiter personally, and asked him off the record what happened. I was informed I needed a good tan and indoor plumbing so to speak. The department had an EEO quota to reach, and I did not fit the image.

VERY FRUSTRATING!