electrocution of handwell near light pole.

Posted by: picard120

electrocution of handwell near light pole. - 02/03/09 05:15 PM

have you guys notice electrocution from electrical handwell near light poles?

There have been numerous electrocution of kids and dogs in Toronto due to corrode wires in handwells. I wonder if you guys notice in US.
Posted by: Desperado

Re: electrocution of handwell near light pole. - 02/03/09 05:24 PM

Most of the recent electrocutions I have heard of involved copper thieves. I don't doubt it is possible that I have missed it though. In the last four years, son#1 and I have found two crispy critters laying in the freeway while coming home from late night hockey practice.

Seems folks tend to try the freeway light standards late at night, I guess just because the lights are off???

Once they get the wrong light, it is pretty quick. We have never seen someone injured, just dead.

When you say "kids", do you mean teens? Maybe there was more than met the eye going on??
Posted by: airballrad

Re: electrocution of handwell near light pole. - 02/03/09 06:05 PM

ConEd in NYC had a problem with this that made the news a couple years ago...

Story about nervous dogwalkers...
Posted by: GarlyDog

Re: electrocution of handwell near light pole. - 02/03/09 06:52 PM

Wow! Thanks for the heads up on this.
Posted by: Susan

Re: electrocution of handwell near light pole. - 02/03/09 07:06 PM

Rubber shoes for the walkers, rubber booties for the dogs.

Sue
Posted by: benjammin

Re: electrocution of handwell near light pole. - 02/04/09 01:52 PM

Rubber booties ain't gonna cut it if the dog lifts his leg near the lightpole. He'll only ever do it once.
Posted by: Mike_in_NKY

Re: electrocution of handwell near light pole. - 02/04/09 04:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Desperado
...while coming home from late night hockey practice.

Knew there was something about you that was good!

Apparently the issue in Toronto is where underground electrical connections, installed with metal covers experience leaking to the cover. When you step on one that is leaking you get zapped.

To accurately determine which of the 15,000 boxes are faulty they have to inspect each one by removing the cover. Some are bolted in place, corroded, etc. Some have to be jack hammered out to test them! New plastic/composite boxes are being used. They expect it to take a couple of months to check all of them. Advise is not to step on any metal box in the sidewalk!

That link to the ConEd experience sounds like a similar issue.
Posted by: Desperado

Re: electrocution of handwell near light pole. - 02/04/09 04:48 PM

Son#1 has been playing since he was 6. Started with inline and moved to ice. We have traveled the world with it since. I miss getting to help on the rink, but I have ZERO business out there.

While in construction, I have seen things with electrical boxes that would make the average citizen faint with fright. We had a composite box run over by a tractor and destroyed in a residential area. I called the local utility after securing the area from passers-by. (KIDS!) Waited for 6 hours for the utility to show up. Then I built a box from 2x4's and sheets of OSB (wafer board) around it and went home. Called the utility for every day the following 2 months. They finally came and fixed it.
Posted by: Eugene

Re: electrocution of handwell near light pole. - 02/05/09 02:35 PM

I've seen lots of light poles along city sidewalks with the acess covers at the bottom missing and wires exposed. Seems to be a normal thing.
Posted by: Susan

Re: electrocution of handwell near light pole. - 02/06/09 02:03 AM

"Rubber booties ain't gonna cut it if the dog lifts his leg near the lightpole."

Rubber shoes, rubber booties for the dog, and a RUBBER BAND until you get to the park! grin

Sue
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: electrocution of handwell near light pole. - 02/06/09 03:53 AM

When I was in the Republic of Panama doing my bit for Uncle Sam we had one of the Security Forces patrol horses get electrocuted when his hoof sank deeply into the wet ground next a recently installed light pole on the walking path. It was incorrectly wired. The horse's name was El Diablo and from what I heard he earned the reputation associated with it. He was a miserable beast to be sure. The tragically comical part came when they were trying to figure out a way to remove the carcass from the scene. Many attempts were made using various improvised methods (there are no manuals for this). They eventually ended up using the baggage bucket used for luggage and baggage loading/unloading the transport planes. Pretty comical; yet in a sad way. The requisite grotto was erected overnight and flowers and candles were found to be aplenty. Some cruel person did manage to sneak in a bottle of glue and some dog food. Now that's funny!!!!