I know we're not supposed to talk about zombies...

Posted by: el_diabl0

I know we're not supposed to talk about zombies... - 01/29/09 05:59 PM

But this is pretty funny.

With all the gloom and doom in the news these days, a little humor is a welcome thing.
Posted by: airballrad

Re: I know we're not supposed to talk about zombies... - 01/29/09 06:16 PM

Yeah... that ones's been popping up all over the Zombie Squad site. But it's driving the moderators nuts; hacking road signs is illegal (and dangerous) and their forum rules prohibit discussing illegal activity. So they keep closing the threads, and more people (who did not see the previous threads, because they are now closed) keep posting it. grin
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: I know we're not supposed to talk about zombies... - 01/29/09 07:03 PM

Thats why everyone should password protects their computer BIOS with a strong username and password. Utilities such as ORPCRACK need the boot order to be either a CD-ROM, etc to be setup as the first boot device in the boot order. I had to use ORPCRACK today because someone forgot their Vista Admin Password as someone or something had deleted one of the only Administrator User Profiles on his computer. A registry edit in safe mode was able to get the Admin User profile back again to allow him to login as normal.

Posted by: ironraven

Re: I know we're not supposed to talk about zombies... - 01/29/09 11:56 PM

First rule, you do not talk about Zombie Squad at Equipped.

*laughs* You, me, Blast, at least three more who use different names - how many of us cross posting?
Posted by: Susan

Re: I know we're not supposed to talk about zombies... - 01/30/09 03:11 AM

Since when have we not been allowed to talk about zombies?

How can we make our ZomOpPreps?

Sue
Posted by: scafool

Re: I know we're not supposed to talk about zombies... - 01/30/09 03:28 AM

I think I had zombies once when I was a kid....or maybe it was mumps... Hmmm, I wonder....Oh well.
Posted by: James_Van_Artsdalen

Re: I know we're not supposed to talk about zombies... - 01/30/09 05:02 AM

I travel by that intersection regularly. The highway department is not being entirely truthful: that's an exposed position with much traffic, even at night. No way did someone spend the time to "hack into the computer" without getting caught.

From memory I don't think there's anything going on there that needs a sign, but it could sure be bad news if the highway guys don't start locking that stuff up.

PS. That intersection isn't on any commute route to the University. Students wanting to show off would have done it elsewhere.

PPS. Wait until the kids start pranking traffic speed and stop light cameras everywhere. That will be an even bigger uproar.

Re: I know we're not supposed to talk about zombies... - 01/30/09 03:21 PM

I recall an article from a couple years back on these electronic road signs. In many cases they are not locked, and all you need to do is open the box, type in the new message, and away it goes. So it would be a fairly easy prank to pull off. Although a few more high-profile cases like this and it will be more commmon for them to be locked up, I expect...

Re: I know we're not supposed to talk about zombies... - 01/30/09 03:22 PM

Originally Posted By: ironraven

Oops... blush

Although you gotta admit; between the two sites, pretty much all my bases are covered. grin
Posted by: JCWohlschlag

Re: I know we're not supposed to talk about zombies... - 01/30/09 03:23 PM

Originally Posted By: James_Van_Artsdalen
No way did someone spend the time to "hack into the computer" without getting caught.

From what I have read, transportation workers rarely even put the control panel for those signs into a locked state to prevent these kinds of changes. Even when the transportation workers do lock the control panel (and I mean “lock” as in via the control panel software), the unlock passcode is probably Sharpied onto the inside of the case cover.

And all it would take is an orange vest and a hard hat and the passing motorists would ignore you.

These roadway sign changes have been a popular subject for Fark.com headlines for a while, from “UFO crossing ahead” posted probably a year ago to this “Zombies in area! Run” sign.
Posted by: Blast

Re: I know we're not supposed to talk about zombies... - 01/30/09 08:21 PM

Quote:

*laughs* You, me, Blast, at least three more who use different names - how many of us cross posting?

Ironraven, Shhhhh! Don't ruin my reputation here as the smart, level-headed guy!

-Blast laugh

Re: I know we're not supposed to talk about zombies... - 01/30/09 08:36 PM

Originally Posted By: JCWohlschlag
Originally Posted By: James_Van_Artsdalen
No way did someone spend the time to "hack into the computer" without getting caught.

From what I have read, transportation workers rarely even put the control panel for those signs into a locked state to prevent these kinds of changes. Even when the transportation workers do lock the control panel (and I mean “lock” as in via the control panel software), the unlock passcode is probably Sharpied onto the inside of the case cover.

And all it would take is an orange vest and a hard hat and the passing motorists would ignore you.

These roadway sign changes have been a popular subject for Fark.com headlines for a while, from “UFO crossing ahead” posted probably a year ago to this “Zombies in area! Run” sign.

Even if they padlocked access to the panel if you ever spent any time on any construction site anywhere you would likely have a very good idea of where to reach for the spare key.

As for the hard hat and vest, the only people that might notice or care would be other construction workers or cops.

I think that the sign change was likely an end of last shift going away prank by a worker who was quitting.
Posted by: jamesraykenney

Re: I know we're not supposed to talk about zombie - 01/30/09 08:51 PM

I am over there with the same user name as here.
Posted by: JCWohlschlag

Re: I know we're not supposed to talk about zombie - 01/31/09 04:18 AM

Originally Posted By: jamesraykenney

I am over there with the same user name as here.

As am I, although I do far less posting there, usually because someone has already posted what I would have wanted to say by the time I read a thread.
Posted by: MrEarp

Re: I know we're not supposed to talk about zombie - 01/31/09 05:24 PM

Just thought I'd poke in and throw some more ZS love into the mix!

Re: I know we're not supposed to talk about zombie - 01/31/09 08:54 PM

AHHHH, A Zombie Squad Run!!!

I wonder how many of these sites are all the same group of people now?

Re: I know we're not supposed to talk about zombies... - 02/01/09 10:06 PM

You use a picture of you and DD1 as your icon over there- can't cover that one up for you. *laughs*

Re: I know we're not supposed to talk about zombies... - 02/02/09 08:09 PM

Quote:
You use a picture of you and DD1 as your icon over there- can't cover that one up for you. *laughs*

Hey, that's a wonderful picture! Her in her fairy princess garb, me wearing blood-splattered hazmat gear... It's almost Norman Rockwellian!

-Blast, who really hasn't added anything productive to this formun in like 100 posts or more.

Re: I know we're not supposed to talk about zombies... - 02/02/09 08:16 PM

I don't know about that nonproductive Blast fellah.
He sure does have a good site about plants.
Posted by: Mike_H

Re: I know we're not supposed to talk about zombies... - 02/03/09 12:34 PM

Originally Posted By: scafool

Ask him about cat bites. He is an expert on them as well!
Posted by: Stu

Re: I know we're not supposed to talk about zombies... - 02/03/09 03:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Mike_H

That will leave a mark. grin grin

Re: I know we're not supposed to talk about zombies... - 02/03/09 05:38 PM

Quote:

That will leave a mark.

Y'all are just jealous because I'm famous (see results #5 and #16).

-Blast

Re: I know we're not supposed to talk about zombies... - 02/03/09 07:12 PM

Just another reason why I'm not a cat person...

Then again, my 11 month old can land a pretty good bite.
Posted by: Rhinojo

Re: I know we're not supposed to talk about zombies... - 02/04/09 04:31 AM

Somebody PM me about why people think zombies are a real life threat / concern. I've been seeing it discussed here and there and at first thought it was a joke. wtf, anyway??

Re: I know we're not supposed to talk about zombies... - 02/04/09 05:22 AM

The one site they are referring to uses the zombies as a metaphor for whatever EOTWAWKI event you care to hypothesize about.
They are not actually expecting walking dead reanimated corpses, even though those Zombies are just as likely as some of the proposed disasters.

There are things worse than Zombies.

Re: I know we're not supposed to talk about zombies... - 02/04/09 10:56 AM

If we are talking about Zombie Squad, it has to do with the origions of the group. It started after watching zombie movies and asking "what if". It has become a metaphor, based on the theory that if you are ready to survive zombies, you can survive almost anything. I would encourage you to take a look at their faq, http://zombiehunters.org/faq.php.

If you start talking about all the heavy stuff, it scares people off. This is a lighter way of looking at it. Right now, zombies are the silly disaster of the day, 20 years ago it was mutants. And if you don't get the whole "zombies are a metaphor" part, deep breath, sit down, take things a little less seriously.
Posted by: benjammin

Re: I know we're not supposed to talk about zombies... - 02/04/09 01:49 PM

I haven't been on ZS in a while. Ever since I posted my "Final Solution" for dealing with zombies (the one that sent Ironraven off screaming into the night), everything else is kinda anti-climactic.

Fun with chemicals, it's not just for Blast, you know, although my method won't go bang.
Posted by: BillLiptak

Re: I know we're not supposed to talk about zombies... - 02/05/09 04:02 PM

I lurk on ZS, same name. Also on candlepower and EDCF... really only active here and on EDCF

Posted by: CAP613

Re: I know we're not supposed to talk about zombie - 02/05/09 04:55 PM

Originally Posted By: benjammin

Fun with chemicals, it's not just for Blast, you know, although my method won't go bang.

So what is the fun in that
Posted by: Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp

Re: I know we're not supposed to talk about zombie - 02/05/09 07:34 PM

Someone hacked the computerized road construction signs near Collinsville, IL. and put this on them.

'DAILY LANE CLOSURES DUE TO ZOMBIES,'

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2009/02/street_signs_ha.html

Re: I know we're not supposed to talk about zombie - 02/05/09 07:40 PM

Originally Posted By: CAP613

So what is the fun in that

Well, I think I found his post on the subject. The fun is that there is zero cleanup afterwards. grin
Posted by: benjammin

Re: I know we're not supposed to talk about zombie - 02/05/09 08:20 PM

The final solution. Hydrogen tri-Fluoride.

Wanna see a zombie melt?

Ironraven runs off screaming again...

I think this stuff would even have Blast a bit worried.
Posted by: sodak

Re: I know we're not supposed to talk about zombies... - 02/05/09 09:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Rhinojo
Somebody PM me about why people think zombies are a real life threat / concern. I've been seeing it discussed here and there and at first thought it was a joke. wtf, anyway??

You won't think it's a joke when they come stumbling across your yard.

Re: I know we're not supposed to talk about zombies... - 02/06/09 12:36 AM

*scratching behind my ear with my foot*

Huh?

I don't remember you making me run screaming into the night.

EDIT

Oh, now I remember. You wanted to dissolve them with very scary compounds of florine and chlorine. *shudders* Yeah.... It would work.

Re: I know we're not supposed to talk about zombies... - 02/06/09 12:44 AM

Originally Posted By: sodak
You won't think it's a joke when they come stumbling across your yard.

The don't stumble, the shamble.

Unless they are howlers, those things are too agile. I hate the fast ones.

Re: I know we're not supposed to talk about zombie - 02/06/09 12:50 AM

Quote:

Hell yes! That stuff is the wet cat of chemicals... eek

-Blast
Posted by: wester

Re: I know we're not supposed to talk about zombie - 02/06/09 11:39 AM

Just wanted to speak up as another cross-poster. Although I don't post too much on either forum, I pretty much just have to search or wait a couple of hours to get any answers I need.

Re: I know we're not supposed to talk about zombie - 02/06/09 11:51 AM

Amazing how much we aren't talking about zombies! wink
Posted by: CAP613

Re: I know we're not supposed to talk about zombie - 02/06/09 02:23 PM

The final solution. Hydrogen tri-Fluoride.

Wanna see a zombie melt?

Ironraven runs off screaming again...

A bit worried, try very scared.

That is real nasty stuff.

Anyway on a more to the point subject how useful
do you think signs like these or the low power
broadcasts would be in an emergency.

My feeling is that most of the person who would be
setting them up would be long gone before they would be of any use.

Posted by: James_Van_Artsdalen

Re: I know we're not supposed to talk about zombie - 02/06/09 07:19 PM

Back on the original topic, kinda, here's a story of different kind of problem in hacking traffic signs & signals: some government & police in Italy are in trouble for hacking traffic lights at stop light cameras to make money off of illegal "running a red light" tickets.
Posted by: wildman800

Re: I know we're not supposed to talk about zombie - 02/06/09 08:21 PM

I have identified a specific sub-species of Zombies:
Labotomized Zombie (Zombius Labotimus)

Characteristics: Has sufficient brain cells working to maintain internal organ functions. Has sufficient brain cells to imitate the living in most scenarios. Does not have sufficient working brain cells to support any but the simplest task, at a given time. Has no powers of reasoning (common sense). Do not leave alone while such a Zombie is "watching a child or invalid".

Re: I know we're not supposed to talk about zombie - 02/09/09 12:28 PM

Originally Posted By: wildman800
I have identified a specific sub-species of Zombies:
Labotomized Zombie (Zombius Labotimus)

Characteristics: Has sufficient brain cells working to maintain internal organ functions. Has sufficient brain cells to imitate the living in most scenarios. Does not have sufficient working brain cells to support any but the simplest task, at a given time. Has no powers of reasoning (common sense). Do not leave alone while such a Zombie is "watching a child or invalid".

I think I've worked with several species of that Zombie and didn't realize the full danger.

Thanks for advising us of this widespread danger!