Adjusting fit of a Stetson?

Posted by: MDinana

Adjusting fit of a Stetson? - 01/16/09 01:52 PM

I've had a "cowboy" hat for a couple years. It's wool felt, pretty nice quality, but the fit is just a touch too small. Is there any way to "stretch" it a bit so that it fits more comfortable, and will get some decent use instead of being a shelf queen?

It's not a matter of the headband or chin strap being too tight, the actual crown of the hat is snug. I know if a wool cap is too large you can dunk it in hot water and then wear it for a while until it "shrinks" to your head. What about the opposite direction?
Posted by: UncleGoo

Re: Adjusting fit of a Stetson? - 01/16/09 02:27 PM

You probably want someone like this:
http://www.henrythehatterdetroit.com/ind...rt&Itemid=1
to block or renovate the hat.
I don't know Henry, I just Googled "hatters detroit."
Posted by: Desperado

Re: Adjusting fit of a Stetson? - 01/16/09 03:04 PM

Yeah, this is one you want to let a pro do. They have the steaming machines and blocks/stretchers to do the work correctly.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Adjusting fit of a Stetson? - 01/16/09 06:44 PM

Yup. If it was just the sweatband, most western wear stores have stretchers, but for the crown, it needs a real pro. I once watched such a guy "making" custom hats for walk up customers at a gun show. He started out with something that looked a lot like what Hoss Cartwright used to wear, then put the crown and brim shapes on that the customer wanted. Very interesting to watch...

Re: Adjusting fit of a Stetson? - 01/16/09 10:53 PM

Aw crud... ok, thanks guys.
Posted by: marduk

Re: Adjusting fit of a Stetson? - 01/16/09 11:22 PM

Yo could try this - SLOW and EASY, lots of steam:
http://www.villagehatshop.com/jack_stretcher.html.

Usual disclaimers: no connection, no experience with this company, etc., etc.

I have used similar products in the past when I wore hats more frequently.
Posted by: scafool

Re: Adjusting fit of a Stetson? - 01/16/09 11:46 PM

If you are finding it unwearable maybe you should just take the sweat band out.
Newer Stetsons use a plastic material for the sweat band that does not stretch at all and is not really comfortable.
If yours is silk lined you will likely lose the lining cloth if you do this, but I found mine to be much more comfortable without the sweat band.

You might want to add a proper hatband, one that you can tighten, if it feels too large without the sweatband inside of it.
The hatband on mine was just a little strip of felt they stuck on to cover the line where they sewed the sweatband into the hat.
It was easily replaced with an adjustable band.

Mine is not exactly a dress or uniform item though.

Re: Adjusting fit of a Stetson? - 01/17/09 12:01 AM

It's not actually a stetson, just a similar style. No headband, just my head in contact with the felt.

It fits (sorta), it's just really snug. Like, gives me a headache after a while.
Posted by: scafool

Re: Adjusting fit of a Stetson? - 01/17/09 12:21 AM

Steam it and stretch it over your knee.
A boiling teapot will give you enough steam. Hold it over the steam coming out the spout.
The felt should be hot to the touch but not boiling hot.
Steam mostly where you need to stretch it
You might have to pull fairly hard to stretch it enough, just stretch it a bit at a time though until it fits right.
The hot steam will let you reshape the crown and brim too if you need to.

edit.
Stetsons are way overpriced.
Smithbuilt or Baily are every bit as good.

Re: Adjusting fit of a Stetson? - 01/17/09 01:03 AM

Originally Posted By: scafool

edit.
Stetsons are way overpriced.
Smithbuilt or Baily are every bit as good.

LOL

I was looking at some last night actually. $49.99. I think I bought mine, in Yosemite, for $39.99. Wish I knew offhand what brand it was!
Posted by: Muleskinner

Re: Adjusting fit of a Stetson? - 01/20/09 12:29 PM

Assuming this is a "Do it yourself" site using as little money as possible and not relying on someone else to do it for you, I have a procedure for you to stretch a felt hat to fit your head.

Start boiling some water in a sauce pan or skillet. Once the steam is rolling, hold the hat by the crown over the steam.

Once the felt becomes soft enough to work, Take it away from the steam and as soon as you can without scalding you, Cram it down on your head as far as it will go and let it cool completely.

Repeat the procedure until it won't stretch any more, or until it fits. If it needs to stretch some more, Start putting sheets of newspaper or similar material "BEHIND" the sweat band and repeat the procedure.

If you keep at it, it will stretch to a custom fit.

I have done it MANY , MANY times on my own hats that have been used and abused.

One thing that shrinks them up is heat. Leaving them in a hot truck is really hard on them.

Once it fits, get a large piece of solid styrofoam and cut it to fit inside the hat for storage. Make sure you put a couple holes in it or a handle on the styrofoam so you can get it back out.

Works great.

Muleskinner

Re: Adjusting fit of a Stetson? - 02/17/09 01:08 AM

Thanks! I'll try this when I get home.
Posted by: Erik_B

Re: Adjusting fit of a Stetson? - 02/17/09 10:38 PM

if it were me, i'd just get a new hat. even if you get it to fit, a wool felt hat will shrink back down pretty quick. i'd recommend checking out Akubra; i've got a Federation and i love it to death. and with the current exchange rate most of them come to just a bit more than a professional reblock.
http://www.hatsdirect.com/cgi-bin/products.cgi?group=Akubra+Hats&page=1