What are your favorite Cocktails and Shots

Posted by: Blitz

What are your favorite Cocktails and Shots - 12/26/08 09:45 PM

Since it's such a festive time of the year, what are your favorites?

I like Tom Collins (Vodka) and Screwdrivers myself. For shots I prefer Sambuca.

Now I know there are some people who appreciate their alcohol here so please feel free to chime in.

It's still Christmas in my mind, my GF is still wrapping presents. wink
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: What are your favorite Cocktails and Shots - 12/26/08 10:10 PM

Vodka (any brand, I often drink the cheap stuff) with OJ (actually Crystal Lite orange drink), or dark rum with the OJ (that one is kindasorta an acquired taste thing). I have also been known to drink the vodka with Crystal Lite iced tea. I would prefer the name brand stuff (Stoli isn't bad), but would rather use the cheap stuff and have extra $ for other things. Having limited storage space and a small refer makes Crystal Lite a really good thing...

Re: What are your favorite Cocktails and Shots - 12/26/08 10:22 PM

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
Vodka (any brand, I often drink the cheap stuff) with OJ (actually Crystal Lite orange drink), or dark rum with the OJ (that one is kindasorta an acquired taste thing). I have also been known to drink the vodka with Crystal Lite iced tea. I would prefer the name brand stuff (Stoli isn't bad), but would rather use the cheap stuff and have extra $ for other things. Having limited storage space and a small refer makes Crystal Lite a really good thing...

Vodka...I like.

grin

Try it with your favorite Gatorade sometime. wink
Posted by: climberslacker

Re: What are your favorite Cocktails and Shots - 12/26/08 10:43 PM

hmmm... shirly temple or roy rodgers, both virgin smile

also a virgin screwdriver is always good in the morning with breakfast
Posted by: Russ

Re: What are your favorite Cocktails and Shots - 12/26/08 10:57 PM

Not big on drinks per se, but American Honey neat (really, it's the only way to drink it) is nice -- store it in the 'fridge or freezer. Other than that, a nice Bordeaux. . .
Posted by: Eric

Re: What are your favorite Cocktails and Shots - 12/26/08 10:59 PM

I don't mind Vodka but it doesn't seem to like me despite several attempted introductions smile

Cocktails:
Margarita, on the rocks w/salt
(top shelf version with 100% blue agave tequila and real lime)
Other than that I tend to stick w/rum and coke or JD and Coke (or similar)

Shots:
100% agave double distilled tequila - el patron comes to mind
Makers Mark
Templeton Rye
Cheap rum (I can't tell the difference so I don't pay it smile )

- Eric
Posted by: Todd W

Re: What are your favorite Cocktails and Shots - 12/26/08 11:08 PM

Zaya Rum = Good
Cazadores (Spell?) Tequila = Good
Crown Royal = Good
Jack Daniels (Any) = Good

Zaya + RC = Good
JD + RC = Good
Crown + RC = Good
Tequila Straight or Margarita = Good

Those are my favorite, if I can't get RC then sub Pepsi Cola smile

And I enjoy Red Wine... a nice cab smile and long walks on the beach... oh darn, wrong thread... ha!

Re: What are your favorite Cocktails and Shots - 12/26/08 11:24 PM

"...your favorite Gatorade..."

Ain't no such thing...

Re: What are your favorite Cocktails and Shots - 12/26/08 11:25 PM

TaKillYa is OK. I like vodka and rum better, but it will do in a pinch...

Re: What are your favorite Cocktails and Shots - 12/26/08 11:46 PM

You seem to like Vir...

Nevermind...

wink
Posted by: Kris

Re: What are your favorite Cocktails and Shots - 12/27/08 12:01 AM

-Scotch...
-Beer; Murphy's, Tentants, Hieny, Alexander Keiths
-Bailey's in coffee

Re: What are your favorite Cocktails and Shots - 12/27/08 01:13 AM

I married a 28 year old vir... once. Trust me on this, they are not all they are cracked up to be. Cost me 22 miserable years and 44% of my retiredment. Hence the cheap booze...
Posted by: GarlyDog

Re: What are your favorite Cocktails and Shots - 12/27/08 02:07 AM

I'm a cheap date. I'm happy with a Budweiser.
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: What are your favorite Cocktails and Shots - 12/27/08 02:53 AM

Quote:
When it comes beer the only kind I can stomach is "Old Engine Oil" by Harvieston Brewery in England.

Actually the Harvieston Brewery is in Alva, Scotland. wink

If you like Old Engine Oil you might like some Old Jock as well.

Posted by: Desperado

Re: What are your favorite Cocktails and Shots - 12/27/08 03:47 AM

Should we have a large ETS gathering, it appears I need to dust off my old bartenders tools and cheap tux shirt & vest. All must bring at least on exotic beer as tip. For those across the pond, it must be cold. I just can't do the room temp thing.

Re: What are your favorite Cocktails and Shots - 12/27/08 04:46 AM

Now you guys got me thinkin' wink
Posted by: stargazer

Re: What are your favorite Cocktails and Shots - 12/27/08 06:09 AM

I don't care for beer at all. I prefer either a Beautiful Girlfriend, or just Beautiful, which is equal parts Cognac and Grand Marnier in a brandy snifter, or I also like a Ancient Mariner made equally from Goslings Old Rum and Grand Marnier Centenaire. Usually these are difficult to find in the bars and I have them at home.
Posted by: Stu

Re: What are your favorite Cocktails and Shots - 12/27/08 12:34 PM

A Bloody Mary with a green bean and a fresh boiled shrimp in it will be mt New Years morning drink of choice,

I often prefer a Bloody Mary on Sunday mornings, as a breakfast drink.

My 2009 #1 resolution is to cut way back on my hard liquor, beer and soda consumption. Not that I drank a lot anyway.
Posted by: Paul810

Re: What are your favorite Cocktails and Shots - 12/27/08 04:20 PM

I'm a Scotch/Bourbon/Whiskey/Whisky kind of guy. My favorites being The Macallan (Highland Scotch) and Maker's Mark (Bourbon). I rarely drink, but when I do it's a nice treat. Especially now in winter, as it gives that warm from the inside-out feeling. smile
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: What are your favorite Cocktails and Shots - 12/28/08 04:21 AM

I do not drink much anymore.

-Cold beer after workig hard or while BBQ'ing.
-Tall Rye (usually Canadian Club) and Ginger Ale (Temagami or Canada Dry) with ice, in social settings.

Nothing fancy here.

Mike
Posted by: benjammin

Re: What are your favorite Cocktails and Shots - 12/28/08 03:09 PM

My most often requested cocktail at the bar is a Manhattan, made with Jim Beam and straight up.

Occasionally I will get a snakebite, or a gin & tonic.

At home, I have a variety of liquors, and often I make buttershots (butterscotch Schnapps with an Irish Cream floater) for my guests.

Recently I recreated a cocktail I enjoyed on Singapore Airlines, which I could not find the formula on the internet anywhere. I call it a "Tomosa". It is two parts orange juice, one part tomato juice and one part cheap champagne. I served these at my recent christmas party, and everyone who tried it found it different but quite pleasant. Even without the champagne, it is still a refreshing beverage, and one of my favorites for breakfast.
Posted by: AROTC

Re: What are your favorite Cocktails and Shots - 12/28/08 09:40 PM

I like a dry martini, Hendrick's gin for preference, Bombay Sapphire or Tanqueray if its not available (which it almost never is). Some times with a splash of scotch, it adds a nice smoky flavor. It irritates me to no end that I often have to specify a gin martini. There is no such thing as a straight vodka martini, vodka and vermouth is called a Kangaroo. What James Bond was ordering was a drink that was two parts gin, and one part vodka. Not pure vodka. And stirred. Ending up with a martini full of ice fragments and tasting primarily of water is not satisfactory.

Otherwise, I enjoy Singapore slings, Manhattans, New Yorks, margaritas, Tom Collins (Not in a tumbler!), Hefeweizens and Dark microbrews.

When I take shots, which is rare, its either rye whiskey, tequila (100% blue agave with lime and salt) or German chocolate cake. A chocolate cake is Frangelico, with a sugar coated lemon on the side. You bite into the lemon and hold the juice in your mouth while drinking the liquor and it tastes just like chocolate cake. But this is a frou frou shot and is only appropriate for birthday parties and surprising women.

I don't like the current trends that college students are taking with regards to cocktails. I prefer to take my drinking seriously (this is not necessarily the same thing as getting seriously drunk).

Re: Stew cocktail - 12/28/08 11:35 PM

"...Ever seen a full Brazilian with nothing left but, as she put
it, a "landing strip"? :-)..."

Every day. And that is all I am gonna say on this subject...

Re: Stew cocktail - 12/29/08 02:24 AM

Time to shed the tan lines. No longer considered appropriate work attire...
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: What are your favorite Cocktails and Shots - 12/29/08 02:41 AM

Guiness Stout

Re: Stew cocktail - 12/29/08 03:32 AM

"...Time to shed the tan lines..."

Did that on our cruise. I'm not gonna tell you about our next "job"...

Re: Stew cocktail - 12/29/08 03:58 AM

Your gonna look funny with wax burns....

First thing you find there is the storm shelter, then sunscreen... More later PM
Posted by: el_diabl0

Re: Stew cocktail - 12/29/08 04:43 AM

Beer (local stuff- Great Lakes Brewing Co), rum (Flor De Cana), bourbon...
Posted by: ChristinaRodriguez

Re: Stew cocktail - 12/29/08 09:02 PM

Gosh, I think I drink harder than some of the fellas on this board... not sure that's a good thing, but oh well. I'm a Mexican artist, afterall.

My current favorite cocktails (made with Maker's Mark):
Manhattan
Godfather (made with my homemade amaretto)
Mint Julep
Whiskey Sour

When I drink tequila (Patron Silver), I usually have it straight or on the rocks with real lime juice and triple sec (NEVER bottled margarita mix).

For vodka, I like Stoli and Grey Goose. White Russians are always good, though Caipiroska is my favorite vodka drink right now (uses a whole crushed lime).

As for beer, I've recently discovered a local micro-brewery and really like their stuff. Otherwise I drink Dos Equis and Corona.

If you're ever looking to try something new, I micro-blog various cocktail recipes that I come across: http://twitter.com/Mixologist.

Posted by: benjammin

Re: Stew cocktail - 12/29/08 10:43 PM

Hmm, I always thought Pacifco was the preferred cerveza from that brewery. Oh well, marketing is the name of the game.

Now, Maker's Mark, that is the hair of the most proper dog. Beam for a decent Manhattan, but for sipping whiskey, MM has to be right up there. With MM, I don't need any bitters to give the bourbon some character.

Re: Stew cocktail - 12/29/08 10:51 PM

Originally Posted By: l33tYoDuh

Ever seen a full Brazilian with nothing left but, as she put
it, a "landing strip"? :-)

"Pull up! Pull up!"

I didn't know you were a pilot. wink grin

Or have you been hanging out in one of those places by the airport again. blush

Re: Stew cocktail - 12/29/08 10:53 PM

I'd love to drink with you!!!
Posted by: Mike_H

Re: Stew cocktail - 01/09/09 06:32 PM

Let's see... typically a 7&7.

For beer, I prefer my own homebrew, but like a black & tan (guiness/bass) when out.
Posted by: Be_Prepared

Re: Stew cocktail - 01/09/09 09:02 PM

On land, usually Ketel One or Grey Gooose vodka, hopefully just out of the freezer, with perhaps some ice and a wedge of lime.

When on a beach or boat, somehow it has to be tequila or Corona. Patron Silver for the tequila, or another 100% agave product.

This is a nice Friday topic... TGIF!
Posted by: JCWohlschlag

Re: Stew cocktail - 01/09/09 09:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Be_Prepared
This is a nice Friday topic... TGIF!

It also helps explain why the posting frequency drops off during the weekend. laugh
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Stew cocktail - 01/10/09 02:56 AM

I don't drink any more but when I did the favorite was 'beer and a bump', a Bud long-neck and a shot of scotch. Twelve year old single-malt if I could get and afford it. Lesser stuff, Old Granddad or Cutty Sark if not.

If I wanted a shock to the system tequila was the way to go. Favorites were Tequila Guervo 1800 or Jose Guervo 12 year old. But any good brand would do. Cheap tequila, discount liquors in general, will make you hate life come the morning. In part because cheap liquors are less refined and partly because if your buying cheap liquor your more likely to drink it by the bottle.

If an image of sophistication was the goal Bombay Sapphire gin, Beefeater's in a pinch, and tonic with a dash of bitters was the drink of choice.

I can remember a lot of good times drinking. Had more than a few good times I can't remember. Over time it dawned on me that I wasn't enjoying it as much as I once did. Drinking had become a habit and reflexive action. That annoyed me. I never came up against any serious health or legal problems but it dawned on me that I was spending loads of time and money and going nowhere. So I gave it up.

I don't resent my time drinking and I don't begrudge the joys of drinking for others. For years after I gave it up I worked in a bar and never felt any need to preach sobriety to anyone. Everyone finds their own path in their own time. I had explored the length, breadth and depth of drinking and got all the good I could out of it. When it no longer paid off what I invested into it I left it behind and never went back.