Equipped to Survive - Christmas!

Posted by: Eric

Equipped to Survive - Christmas! - 12/25/08 12:01 PM

Not sure where the best place to put this is.

What do you keep around (besides christmas "spirits") to ease your way through christmas day?

Here are a few things I have found helpful.

Small "harmless looking" knife - think swiss army or benchmite
Lighter - no one ever seems to be able to light candles or fires these days
Small side cutters - to deal with all the annoying wires in the kids presents
Small nippers - for when the side cutters can't get at the blamed wires
Leatherman Squirt E4 - great for dealing with battery compartments.
Leatherman Charge TI - for when the Squirt isn't big enough
A couple of small flashlights for looking in/under things (Inova T1, peak matterhorn(?))
mini tripod (so I don't get stuck holding the camera(s)
extra batteries / media for cameras.
More AA, AAA, C and D batteries than I can carry for all the "toys"
small forceps to reach the teeny tiny screws that always fall where I can't reach.

And of course some true spirit(s?) can help smooth out a very hectic day if used appropriately smile

Merry Christmas all

- Eric
(patiently waiting for the family to wake up so I can find out what Santa brought me this year - I've been really good!)
Posted by: bsmith

Re: Equipped to Survive - Christmas! - 12/25/08 02:04 PM

- trash bag for the paper recycle stuff.

- utility knife to reduce cardboard boxes to a more manageable size.

- good humor.
Posted by: Kris

Re: Equipped to Survive - Christmas! - 12/25/08 02:15 PM

Don't forget the scotch!!!!
Posted by: Russ

Re: Equipped to Survive - Christmas! - 12/25/08 02:34 PM

Don't like scotch much, must be an acquired taste wink
However, for those who haven't tried it or even heard of it, Wild Turkey has a Bourbon & Honey liqueur called American Honey -- very nice smile
Posted by: Desperado

Re: Equipped to Survive - Christmas! - 12/25/08 03:02 PM

First one must finish with all of the sharp objects and put the car keys in someone else's control. Then proceed to slowly ritualized consumption of one of America's finest products that come from the state of Tennessee.

Relax, repeat. Add a good cigar if one is so inclined....

Re: Equipped to Survive - Christmas! - 12/25/08 03:36 PM

Haven't tried JD's Single Barrel. Note to self. . .
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Equipped to Survive - Christmas! - 12/25/08 03:41 PM

I've not heard of American Honey, looks good, perhaps you can compare it to Drambuie or even better, Glayva if you get the chance.

I do like Makers Mark Bourbon though, its a top quality Whiskey.

Re: Equipped to Survive - Christmas! - 12/25/08 04:03 PM

Much smoother than Drambuie. Think of AH as a very an extremely smooth bourbon with overtones of honey -- the taste of honey but w/o all the sweetness.
Posted by: Desperado

Re: Equipped to Survive - Christmas! - 12/25/08 04:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Desperado
First one must finish with all of the sharp objects and put the car keys in someone else's control. Then proceed to slowly ritualized consumption of one of America's finest products that come from the state of Tennessee.

Relax, repeat. Add a good cigar if one is so inclined....

Discretion is the better part of valor, and moderation in everything...
Posted by: JCWohlschlag

Re: Equipped to Survive - Christmas! - 12/25/08 08:48 PM

To veer off the alcohol path for just a second…

Tin snips: For the utter annihilation of those stupid blister packs everything comes in nowadays. I believe I brought up this topic last year, and the tin snips rule for this task.
Posted by: Eric

Re: Equipped to Survive - Christmas! - 12/25/08 09:24 PM

Hmm, not exactly the path I thought this would go down but I guess I did kind of push things this way in a backhanded sort of way. So to add to the list...

It is kind of cold in the midwest lately so we need Baileys for the coffee and rum for the hot chocolate, though peppermint schnapps will do if no rum is available. This is critical survival preps.

Then after the kids go to bed we can turn up the thermostat and enjoy some margaritas (100% blue agave tequila of course) or rum and cokes since keeping morale up is critical in situations like this. My wife is not a fan of whiskey so I usually save that for time with friends who do appreciate it. Makers Mark by preference though I occasionally have had to make do with some of the more comment blends (like Seagrams) in a survival situation like this. One must be prepared to rough it a bit during trying times.

- Eric
Posted by: bmisf

Re: Equipped to Survive - Christmas! - 12/25/08 10:15 PM

Mmm... Pappy Van Winkle's 15 Year Family Reserve.

http://www.bourbonenthusiast.com/forum/DBvd.php?id=104&task=displaybottling

Somewhat pricey (if you can even find it - seems to be around $60 a bottle these days anyplace that has it in stock), but absolutely worth it. Got rated 98 by Beverage Tasting Institute and top listings by many other reviewers.

Some prefer the 20 Year Reserve, others think this is the better bang for the buck; I've not had the 20 year yet and so can't compare, but the 15 Year is flat out the best I've ever had.

I like Booker's too, and Knob Creek is pretty good for a few more steps down the rungs...

Merry Christmas!
Posted by: big_al

Re: Equipped to Survive - Christmas! - 12/26/08 12:18 AM

I guess I just haven't aquired a tast for finer whiskeys My Favoret liquor is Jim Beam Straight rye whiskey, Mild and mellow made in a copper distiller.
Posted by: comms

Re: Equipped to Survive - Christmas! - 12/26/08 12:29 AM

Aside from the booze, i haven't had any today fo some reason, i have pretty much all the original posters gear nearby

Re: Equipped to Survive - Christmas! - 12/26/08 12:37 AM

I had a couple glasses of wine w/ dinner and RUM Cake smile
Posted by: Stu

Re: Equipped to Survive - Christmas! - 12/26/08 03:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Russ
Don't like scotch much, must be an acquired taste wink
However, for those who haven't tried it or even heard of it, Wild Turkey has a Bourbon & Honey liqueur called American Honey -- very nice smile

What did I ever do to you??? grin Headed to liquore store now, severe wallet damage may happen
Posted by: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Re: Equipped to Survive - Christmas! - 12/26/08 09:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Eric
Not sure where the best place to put this is.

What do you keep around (besides christmas "spirits") to ease your way through christmas day?

Here are a few things I have found helpful.

Small "harmless looking" knife - think swiss army or benchmite
Lighter - no one ever seems to be able to light candles or fires these days
Small side cutters - to deal with all the annoying wires in the kids presents
Small nippers - for when the side cutters can't get at the blamed wires
Leatherman Squirt E4 - great for dealing with battery compartments.
Leatherman Charge TI - for when the Squirt isn't big enough
A couple of small flashlights for looking in/under things (Inova T1, peak matterhorn(?))
mini tripod (so I don't get stuck holding the camera(s)
extra batteries / media for cameras.
More AA, AAA, C and D batteries than I can carry for all the "toys"
small forceps to reach the teeny tiny screws that always fall where I can't reach.

And of course some true spirit(s?) can help smooth out a very hectic day if used appropriately smile

Merry Christmas all

- Eric
(patiently waiting for the family to wake up so I can find out what Santa brought me this year - I've been really good!)

Victorinox Swiss Tool Spirit. For putting kiddies toys together.
Headtorch. For seeing those damn fiddly bits.....
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Equipped to Survive - Christmas! - 12/26/08 10:12 PM

I used my Leatherman Wave 'bout a dozen times yesterday, cutting packages/packaging open, opening battery compartments, etc. Not being in our home, we let the home owner (daughter) worry 'bout everything else...
Posted by: DaveT

Re: Equipped to Survive - Christmas! - 12/27/08 03:13 AM

My favorite honey spirit is Barenjaeger. Not something I drink often, but I really like it for making a hot toddy when I've got a bad cough and cold.

http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=2360
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: Equipped to Survive - Christmas! - 12/28/08 04:29 AM

On Christmas morning I had my Mini-PSK/Phone Kit on my belt so I used the Gerber STL 2.0 in it about a dozen times to open that tough plastic packaging. I did not want to see any bleeding spoil Christmas so the deal was that if a family member needed something opened they would pass it to me, and I would do the cutting.

Mike