A little girl's last Christmas...

Posted by: snoman

A little girl's last Christmas... - 12/22/08 08:13 PM

Hey guys, I writing on behalf of five-year-old Hannah Garman. She's a little girl from Lititz, Pennsylvania.
This little girl lost her mother to breast cancer two years ago. Unfortunately, in October, she was diagnosed with glioblastoma multiforme, a rare and incurable brain tumor. She was given about 12 weeks to live. She was going to be the flower girl in her cousins wedding in May, but was diagnosed a week after she was asked.
Right now she has lost most of her motor skills. She is confined to bed and cannot really do anything or play with the gifts she is getting from people, but she LOVES getting cards - she has gotten so many from people she does not know and just loves to have grandma read about the people who send them and see their pictures and is so proud of all her cards. Her room is just filled with cards.
When asked what she wants for Christmas, she said she wants to see how many Christmas cards she can get. Many people have passed this wish along to their churches, prayer groups, friends and family. There are school groups
where children are making her cards. People are including pictures so she can see who it is that is sending her the card.
If you would like to help with her wish, please send her a card at:

Hannah Garman
704 Orchard Rd
Lititz, PA 17543

Snopes says it's absolutely true. Let's see if we can have the cards coming in big postal bags for her this Christmas, since it will be her last holiday. Mine's already on the way. THANKS!

Hannah Garman

Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: A little girl's last Christmas... - 12/22/08 10:29 PM

Things like that just aren't supposed to happen to little kids...
Posted by: Desperado

Re: A little girl's last Christmas... - 12/22/08 11:01 PM

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy

Agreed . . . Another reason I didn't even think of going into medicine.
Posted by: aloha

Re: A little girl's last Christmas... - 12/23/08 04:49 AM

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy

You're right...my card is sealed and is going out tomorrow.
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: A little girl's last Christmas... - 12/23/08 05:31 AM

" life isn't fair. And it isn't fair that it isn't fair."- Edward Abbey
Posted by: benjammin

Re: A little girl's last Christmas... - 12/23/08 01:43 PM

Maybe say a prayer or have a kind thought for the dad, too. There's no torture on earth that compares to that sort of suffering. First watching his wife go through it, then his daughter, it's gotta tear him up inside. Heck, it's busting me up just reading about it.
Posted by: snoman

Re: A little girl's last Christmas... - 07/23/09 04:27 PM

"The little red-haired girl from Lititz — whose battle with cancer and a plea for Christmas cards touched people's hearts the world over — was given only a few weeks to live late last year.

But Hannah, who was diagnosed with glioblastoma multiforme in October and wasn't expected to see Christmas, struggled through to her fifth birthday on Jan. 16. She celebrated Easter and even managed to dip her toes in the Chesapeake Bay during an early summer outing.

She rode in a fire truck in the Mother's Day Make-a-Wish convoy and, on May 30, she fulfilled a dream by serving as flower girl in her cousin Sheri's wedding. Her favorite colors were pink and purple, and she loved to draw.

Hannah died Tuesday evening, surrounded by her family.

Her father, Darin, who faithfully kept a record of Hannah's progress at CaringBridge, a Web site devoted to the care of people with terminal illnesses, announced the news with a brief message just a few hours later.

"Tonight at 5:45 Hannah went home to be with Jesus," he wrote at 9:18 p.m. "She was surrounded by family & passed peacefully.

"Right now I'm pretty exhausted. It's been a long day. Please pray for the family & me over this tough time."

Hannah's grandmother, Shirley Garman, said Tuesday that the family is coping with the loss with the support of family and friends.

Knowing it was coming didn't make the reality any easier, she said.

"She was a brave little thing. She stayed brave right to the end," Shirley Garman said.

"But it really hits hard, when it comes. We're just trying to get through the days without her.""
Posted by: KenK

Re: A little girl's last Christmas... - 07/23/09 05:43 PM

Snopes.com says that she died on June 16, 2009.

Posted by: Todd W

Re: A little girl's last Christmas... - 07/23/09 06:22 PM

That's sad... I really feel for the dad talk about a major loss in the last couple years frown
Posted by: scafool

Re: A little girl's last Christmas... - 07/24/09 03:41 PM

I miss OBG.
Posted by: paramedicpete

Re: A little girl's last Christmas... - 07/24/09 04:35 PM

Me too frown

Pete
Posted by: Kris

Re: A little girl's last Christmas... - 07/24/09 05:31 PM

Originally Posted By: paramedicpete
Me too frown

Pete

ditto... it doesn't 'feel' the same here without the guy.
Posted by: Desperado

Re: A little girl's last Christmas... - 07/24/09 05:35 PM

+1