A question about surviving...

Posted by: JohnE

A question about surviving... - 12/18/08 08:03 PM

eons ago when I first started posting here, just kidding, it's only been a short time really, I mentioned that I was interested in the psychology of preparing for survival.

That interest kinda gave way to the rush of acquiring some cool gear, learning some stuff, reading some books, more time needing to be spent at work, etc. But I'd like to revisit it, and put a question or two out to the group here at large.

How many of you, either consciously or way back in the dark recesses of your mind wish that something would happen so you could test out some of your theories and your gear? I don't mean going camping and finding out that that the 20 degree sleeping bag is really a 40 degree sleeping bag, I mean an actual survival situation.

And, how many of you have pushed themselves past either a psychological or a physical or even an equipment limitation in order to see what would happen? Ever confronted someone cause you knew that you were better equipped to do so because of your training/gear? Ever wish you had? Ever wish you hadn't?

I'm asking cause in reading some other "survivalist" forums I read an underlying theme of disillusioned people hoping for some sort of apocalyptic/personal confrontation event to take place in order to prove themselves and I don't get the same sort of feel from things I read here.

I'm not writing a book, nor am I accumulating data for a research paper, I'm just an amateur psychologist interested in why people do the things that they do.

Private or public replies, your choice, private replies will remain so, I promise.

JohnE
Posted by: Nishnabotna

Re: A question about surviving... - 12/18/08 08:13 PM

Originally Posted By: JohnE

I'm asking cause in reading some other "survivalist" forums I read an underlying theme of disillusioned people hoping for some sort of apocalyptic/personal confrontation event to take place in order to prove themselves and I don't get the same sort of feel from things I read here.

That's mostly because this isn't a survivalist forum.
Posted by: dweste

Re: A question about surviving... - 12/18/08 08:18 PM

I prepare to avoid problems but be able to cope better than the average bear. I also have a small irrational belief there is a little mojo working to scare problems away before they materialize if you are prepared.
Posted by: Andy

Re: A question about surviving... - 12/18/08 08:26 PM

Well, that's a deep subject...

(Sorry, my wife teaches 3rd grade, that's the level of humor to which I am constantly exposed)

But not a bad question. I think it's a thought that occurs to some or maybe even many of us. Folks who are outdoors a lot for fun or work test their gear all the time; sometimes on purpose, sometimes not. We suburbanite deskjockies may have a Walter Mitty view of holding civilization together when disaster strikes but have no experience in actually doing so.

Do I secretly wish to actually being lost in the woods, or have my car slip into snow covered gully, or fight aliens or zombies just to have a 'learning' experience? Absolutely not!

I prepare for all those things (well, for space aliens and zombies, not so much). But if most of my gear never needs using I'll be ok with that.

Preparation, both physical and mental, for me is a way to provide for my family and challenge my brain so that when stuff happens I've got a chance. At least survival situations, on the wild chance they may occur, won't be a foreign concept. But I ain't about to go looking for one.
Posted by: TheSock

Re: A question about surviving... - 12/18/08 08:27 PM

there was a thread not long ago about some chap who deliberately put himself in danger motor biking in the desert. the virtual unaminous verdict on this site was that he was an idiot.
the sock
Posted by: Jeff_M

Re: A question about surviving... - 12/18/08 08:28 PM

How many of you, either consciously or way back in the dark recesses of your mind wish that something would happen so you could test out some of your theories and your gear? I don't mean going camping and finding out that that the 20 degree sleeping bag is really a 40 degree sleeping bag, I mean an actual survival situation.

Nope. Since I'm in the disaster response business, I get regular exposure to the receiving end of that which has been through the spinning impeller. I also have occasion to risk my one asterisk semi-regularly. I'm not looking for more, although I have pondered this same question.

And, how many of you have pushed themselves past either a psychological or a physical or even an equipment limitation in order to see what would happen?

Yes, but in pursuit of other goals, and never just to see what might happen.

Jeff
Posted by: wildman800

Re: A question about surviving... - 12/18/08 08:59 PM

An interesting question,,,,,

I don't "hope" or "expect" a TEOTWAWKI situation. I am afraid that an EMP incident is going to occur in our future, during my lifetime.

Things do seem to happen in my vicinity, HazMat incidents, Hurricanes, Auto Accidents, Persons blowing themselves up inside of small pick up trucks, etc.

Past colleagues have described the "Bo Zone" as a disaster zone that occurs more than 3 feet from my body and not more than 500 yards from my body. Because of the "Bo Zone", my experience dictates that I be prepared for anything!!!!
Posted by: MDinana

Re: A question about surviving... - 12/18/08 09:14 PM

I've never "confronted" anyone, but I have had discussions with camping partners before we go - usually delegation of supplies and such, and their lack of stuff when appropriate.

Do I hope for something? Well, my dad thinks I do wink But really, I think it's odd that so many things happen when I'm not around. For example, the big east coast blackout happened a month after I moved from Philly. Most of the big fire seasons in CA happen when I'm not around - conversely, while CA is under ridiculous amounts of snow, here in Detroit there's about 2 inches on the ground (though more coming in). I wonder if I'm prepared enough for, say, a week long blackout. I don't "hope" for it, but I'd be curious. The best way to find out, of course, is just not use any electricity for a week, but I haven't done that.

I've never intentionally pushed myself, but occasionally stuff happens. I've gotten lucky so far, and in all fairness, I don't think some of those things wouldn't have been helped by being prepared.
Posted by: Blast

Re: A question about surviving... - 12/18/08 09:30 PM

Hmmm, I really don't want to break my leg while alone in the woods but I have to admit sometimes when I'm being crushed at work I fantasize about some sort of big "reset" button being pushed tossing us all back to an agrarian existence where I rule everyone with a strong but merciful fist. Also, there's only one guy for every twenty women but that might just be a mid-life crisis sort of thing.

-Blast, currently being crushed at work

Posted by: Desperado

Re: A question about surviving... - 12/18/08 09:40 PM

Forty right?
Posted by: kd7fqd

Re: A question about surviving... - 12/18/08 09:47 PM

"1 man for every 20 women" Dude where do I sign up? LOL

Blast, Why choose agrarian? why not something else, like stone age (you pretty brung flower), or something for simple minds like that.

Mike
Posted by: Blast

Re: A question about surviving... - 12/18/08 09:51 PM

Quote:
Blast, Why choose agrarian?

Agriculture = Beer

-Blast
Posted by: ironraven

Re: A question about surviving... - 12/18/08 11:03 PM

How many of you, either consciously or way back in the dark recesses of your mind wish that something would happen so you could test out some of your theories and your gear?

Not I. *consults with subconscious* Not him. *looks* I'd ask my unconscious, but he's sleeping. But he doesn't like the cold and the wet and the no running water and internet, so I'm guessing no for him, to.

*grins*

I plan for longish disruptions- example is if you were to have a Katrina-magnitude event in your area. But longer than that... I think I'll pass. I like my soft, modern living, thank you very much. If I had to, I could probably make a water wheel and rig an alternator to it for a 12v power source. But I don't want to.
Posted by: Andy

Re: A question about surviving... - 12/18/08 11:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Blast
Also, there's only one guy for every twenty women but that might just be a mid-life crisis sort of thing.

Yes, Blast that is a middle age crisis fantasy. When those wonderful DD's of yours are teenagers and you're doing your best to survive having more than one woman in the house your fantasy will be moving to a monastary. With two daughters and a wife in the house I spent some weeks in the basement...
Posted by: Jeff_M

Re: A question about surviving... - 12/19/08 12:40 AM

Not to mention that they'd likely make you into their, um, er, houseboy.

Jeff
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: A question about surviving... - 12/19/08 01:15 AM

"...How many of you, either consciously or way back in the dark recesses of your mind wish that something would happen so you could test out some of your theories and your gear?..."

No. Not only no, but hell no!!!

Re: A question about surviving... - 12/19/08 01:29 AM

Ok, so that's one maybe for OBG...;^)

JohnE
Posted by: Desperado

Re: A question about surviving... - 12/19/08 01:40 AM

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
"...How many of you, either consciously or way back in the dark recesses of your mind wish that something would happen so you could test out some of your theories and your gear?..."

Well, um, I inadvertently tested a few items back in 1989. Hummm, uhhh umm, not something I would recommend as overall good for one's health.
Even remotely prepared, it cost me about 30 lbs. and over a month in the hospital. I still have issues from it (Jungle Rot does NOT go away it just rests).

We got from where we were to where we were supposed to be and did the missions, but I will never forget what bad water can do as a weight loss program.

So as the wise man said
OH NO, Not just no but HELL FUCKING NO!

Having thought about what I said, I will say that we have "practiced" a 'get-out'a-dodge" before. Wife and I had the 5th wheel ready to go and woke the kids in the middle of the night and went camping as fast as possible. Once there we took stock of what we missed keeping in the trailer and in the BOB's. Then we started "training". Everyone learned to use the different components of their BOB and then we moved to field expedient water gathering. That wasn't hard as it was raining cats and dogs. Each camping trip is spent with the 5th wheel RV as a "home base" and skills are worked on from there. We have also done this when everyone was out and about for work/school. Communicated, coordinated and hit the ORP. Store excess vehicles and move out. From a no notice start to out of the county in an hour is the goal. If we are too spread out we have secondary ORP's in differing areas as needed. But grab the BOB and hit the weeds for a week, NO.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: A question about surviving... - 12/19/08 03:11 AM

I first got interested in preparedness as a kid, after falling through the ice, bowhunting, far from home. My brother reacted appropriately, got me warm enough, but we both agreed it was close. Planning began soon after, throughout my teen years, and into my next couple of decades.

Then I lost touch, career, other interests, until Hurricane's Gloria (east coast), Iniki (far west coast), kept reminding me of how unprepared I had become.

Then a winter in new Mexico, 7200 feet, no electricity (the entire house was electric), 2 days before the road was plowed, 12 miles to the nearest grocery.

Here I am today. Never pushed to the limit, but gently reminded how fragile the supply chain is.

Another reason why the cooperation of others is so important- they saved my a** each time, I owe a big return favor to the next ill prepared, with restraint.

Posted by: Tom_L

Re: A question about surviving... - 12/19/08 06:20 AM

I've always enjoyed long hikes in the wilderness, occasionally climbing a mountain or taking a trek through the unknown. I'll be the first to admit that sometimes I have pushed myself a but further than I should, taking risks I could've avoided. Not in the sense of inviting danger on purpose but testing myself or my gear and enjoying the thrill you can only get from doing something extraordinary (but never truly daredevilish).

That said, I do not indulge in post-apocalyptic dreams and I don't look forward to any natural or man-made disasters. I don't need a disaster to prove myself as a human being. I just want to live a responsible life and do what I can to keep myself and everyone I care about safe while still remaining a functional member of our society.
Posted by: Dan_McI

Re: A question about surviving... - 12/19/08 01:33 PM

My precise sentiments. I know many posters here are inclined to trek out into the middle of nowhere, with some gear, enjoy the time and practice some things. But to put yourself in an actual emergency simply for entertainment value, I should hope not. To hope for some destructive force to come along, so that everyone lives less comfortably, but so you get increased prestige or culture, I should really hope not.
Posted by: unimogbert

Re: A question about surviving... - 12/19/08 01:36 PM

Originally Posted By: kd7fqd
"1 man for every 20 women" Dude where do I sign up? LOL

Mike

I'm sure they'd be happy to see you volunteer at the nursing home :-)
Posted by: unimogbert

Re: A question about surviving... - 12/19/08 01:39 PM

I take small daily satisfactions at having tools, parts and know-how to deal with domestic chaos like broken washing machine, curtain rods coming down, lost eyeglasses screws and such.

I'd prefer that The Big One remained a thought experiment. I don't want to be That Right.
Posted by: nursemike

Re: A question about surviving... - 12/19/08 03:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Andy
Originally Posted By: Blast
Also, there's only one guy for every twenty women but that might just be a mid-life crisis sort of thing.

Yes, Blast that is a middle age crisis fantasy. When those wonderful DD's of yours are teenagers and you're doing your best to survive having more than one woman in the house your fantasy will be moving to a monastary. With two daughters and a wife in the house I spent some weeks in the basement...

In my nursing school class there were 44 girls, and me. Same ratios in preceding and succeeding classes. If I dated no one, and behaved as big brother to all, life was celibate, but peaceful. If I dated one, life was not celibate, but I had 43 surly classmates. Adolescent daughters are the punishment that the universe inflicts on dads for being men.
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: A question about surviving... - 12/19/08 03:34 PM

My sentiments exactly.

Anyone who wishes to test themselves in the aftermath of a societal breakdown can board a plane to Congo, Zimbabwe, Afghanistan, or any of a dozen places. Spend a year living like the locals. Get a good close look. Then come home, kiss the ground and thank your lucky stars.
Posted by: LeeG

Re: A question about surviving... - 12/19/08 05:00 PM

I look at it this way. Being prepared for a major disaster prepares you also for myriads of smaller problems.

My pocket knife will probably never save my life, but it will open thousands of boxes. I'll probably never need my EDC flashlight to get out of a building after a power failure, but I often need to look for something under a desk or in an unlit closet.

It is seldom a difference between survival and not, but rather a difference between major and minor inconvenience. It just turns out that many of the things that make major inconveniences minor ones also can make life threatening situations less so.

Posted by: Lono

Re: A question about surviving... - 12/19/08 05:03 PM

I've always been solo - as a hiker, climber, responder. Always prepared, in the proper context - for wind, rain, snow, falling rocks, medical emergencies. I've gotten myself out of the woods following unexpected snowfall and windstorms intact, and off of a rock ledge with a broken hand, only because I was prepared. Then I got married, then we had kids - I had to extend my role to being prepared and preparing others. We had an earthquake about 7 years ago, and I realized there was a whole realm I was only marginally prepared for - local catastrophe. The Seattle Fault may not slip but every 300 years, it may not slip in my lifetime, but it could slip tomorrow, and I figure I'll be prepared for that to a reasonable level: reasonable defined as every person in my extended family having enough gear and know how to survive the initial shake and the predictable aftermath, and then some. Based on those preparations, we all do really well with wind storms, or large snowfalls, followed by windstorms, which we're facing right now. But I gotta tell you, equipping 35+ people is alot harder than I thought, and these are reasonable people, relations. My future career and professional goal is to attempt the same with 35,000 non-related folks.

I only live a few hundred yards from the Seattle Fault, I will in all likelihood be crushed in the initial shake. Someone else will have to come and pillage all my neat stuff. I hope they take good care of my chain saw though, its been like the second son I never had. But if I survive, I have obligations - to my neighbors, to my employer, co-workers, to total strangers, to the Red Cross - to help them out and help them get past the initial event. Its the obligations that I like, it gives meaning to what I do everyday, much moreso than my 9-5 job which tends to pale in comparison to helping others. There's alot of psychology wrapped up in that, good luck decoding.
Posted by: Mike_H

Re: A question about surviving... - 12/19/08 05:37 PM

As many have already said in previous posts, I like to go out in the woods, camp, and try some things, but I don't want to purposely put myself into a dangerous situation. Each camping trip, I try something new. How would things go if I only had this firelighter or this knife... Obviously I have backups and such, but I see what can be done with self-imposed limited gear. When it does work, I know I need to practice that skill or user my other gear.

It feels odd buying things and creating survival kits that may never get used, but it is like insurance. You hope to not have to use it, but it is nice when it is there when you need it.

Now I try to install some simple things with my wife. Slipping a FAK into the diaper bag so that she has it. Making sure we have water stocked in the house for the baby. Things like that...

Posted by: comms

Re: A question about surviving... - 12/19/08 05:50 PM

My truest intentions for preparing myself with information and gear is to protect my family in case of a civil disturbance that affects my family and to support my friends while we are out.

I don't expect TEOTWAWKI nor do I prepare for the apocalypse or to live in the 21st Century with only 17th Century technology.

I do expect that during any given day, someone I know will need a multi tool. That at some point I may be called upon for a lighter or start a fire. Someone will need a mirror that 'hey what do you know', doubles as a signaling device. That a whistle travels farther than my voice. That I am always in need of a flashlight.

If traveling in a non-cell reception area, (like most state & national parks)or in bad travel conditions I have food, water, shelter and gear to keep warm for an extended period of time.

I have been in life threatening civil conditions a few times and my approach is not 'Rambo' or 'survivalist', its prudent planning and thoughtfulness.
Posted by: benjammin

Re: A question about surviving... - 12/19/08 06:46 PM

Not so much from a personal experience sort of desire, but I think we get socially complacent and come up with silly ideas about how to live, and every once in a while a good dose of reality needs to come up and bite us just a bit and let us know how things really are. I don't advocate apocolyptic extremes, but Katrina was a good sort of wake up call for many people, not just those who were directly affected by the storm. It should never have gotten as bad as it did, and thankfully it was not nearly as bad as it could've been.

A little exposure, just like a little revolution, now and then is a good thing.
Posted by: Russ

Re: A question about surviving... - 12/19/08 09:28 PM

Quote:
I'm just an amateur psychologist interested in why people do the things that they do.
Quote:
How many of you, either consciously or way back in the dark recesses of your mind wish that something would happen so you could test out some of your theories and your gear?
First, as stated earlier, we aren't survivalists and this is not a survivalist forum. We're about preparedness. I look to earthquakes and wildfires when I think of likely situations. Others here look at hurricanes, tornadoes and serious floods. How about a routine drive out west and a winter storm brings you to a stop in a mountain pass. Survival may mean nothing more than extra clothing, blankets and a way to cook a small meal in your vehicle. For me it's about continuing to maintain the kits that will get me through that cold night. It's doubtful though that I'd ever let myself get that far into the mountains without knowing that the weather was closing in. Avoiding those situations is very doable.

I don't want to test my mettle in an EOTWAWKI scenario. There are enough natural situations in the real world that kill folks everyday.
Posted by: Susan

Re: A question about surviving... - 12/20/08 03:11 AM

I don't like being inconvenienced. I figure that if I am prepared, i would be a lot less inconvenienced if there is a quake, volcano eruption, flood, toxic spill or wildfire.

Our state weather service is warning of 70-90 mph winds tomorrow, and nearly a foot of snow on top of the eight inches we're got now, and a windchill down to zero, with power outages in many areas nearly a given.

But I've got a bunch of wool blankets, a load of firewood, food, water and pet food. And I hope that that is enough.

Sue
Posted by: Brangdon

Re: A question about surviving... - 12/20/08 12:47 PM

Not me.

Quote:
Ever confronted someone cause you knew that you were better equipped to do so because of your training/gear?
That doesn't sound like me either, but I'm not sure I understand the question. Is it about weapons? I know many people here are pro-gun, pro-knife and pro-self-defence; are you asking whether they have moved towards a fight instead of away from it because they thought they had superior fire-power?

Re: A question about surviving... - 12/20/08 01:53 PM

and it's going to start warming up. All that snow and then it warms and starts to rain. . .
Posted by: Chisel

Re: A question about surviving... - 12/20/08 02:51 PM

My answer is an exact copy of comm's

Originally Posted By: comms
My truest intentions for preparing myself with information and gear is to protect my family in case of a civil disturbance that affects my family and to support my friends while we are out.

I don't expect TEOTWAWKI nor do I prepare for the apocalypse or to live in the 21st Century with only 17th Century technology.

I do expect that during any given day, someone I know will need a multi tool. That at some point I may be called upon for a lighter or start a fire. Someone will need a mirror that 'hey what do you know', doubles as a signaling device. That a whistle travels farther than my voice. That I am always in need of a flashlight.

If traveling in a non-cell reception area, (like most state & national parks)or in bad travel conditions I have food, water, shelter and gear to keep warm for an extended period of time.

I have been in life threatening civil conditions a few times and my approach is not 'Rambo' or 'survivalist', its prudent planning and thoughtfulness.

Having said that ( well, comms said it ) , I sometimes wish a tiny disaster disturbs our (family) life. Not a life threatening thing, but a big inconvience shakes my wife to start prepping, or at least stops laughing at me when I prep. A loss of power for two days and a wife shaken at the possible loss of her frozen stuff is not too bad.

A few such events have happened already and my wife started the first step of a 1000 mile.

I do not wish anyone to get hurt in the meantime - not at all.

Re: A question about surviving... - 12/20/08 04:19 PM

Be careful what you wish for. . . IMF warns of economic riots, police ready for civil unrest

Re: A question about surviving... - 12/20/08 07:21 PM

Quote:
Ever confronted someone cause you knew that you were better equipped to do so because of your training/gear?
That doesn't sound like me either, but I'm not sure I understand the question. Is it about weapons? I know many people here are pro-gun, pro-knife and pro-self-defence; are you asking whether they have moved towards a fight instead of away from it because they thought they had superior fire-power?[/quote]

That's pretty much what I was thinking of when I asked. There are a lot of folks who talk a lot about weapons, just wondering if any of them have ever as you say, moved towards a fight, rather than moving away.

I'd be shocked if anyone actually fessed up to doing so, not that they did it, but if they admitted it.

Thanks to everyone who's posted so far. The info isn't going anywhere, just for my own edification.

JohnE
Posted by: M_a_x

Re: A question about surviving... - 12/20/08 10:35 PM

Actually I have moved towards a fight once. I was at the age of about 15. A newcomer in the school class turned out to be a bully and he chose to bully me. It was fight or be bullied for at least a year or two. So I chose to pick the time and place. It was an unarmed fight but with 9 years of martial arts training it was not a fair one.
Apart from that I avoided fights. Good self defense instructors always tell you that you donīt loose a fight if you manage to avoid it in the first place.
Posted by: Paragon

Re: A question about surviving... - 12/22/08 02:56 AM

Much like others collect stamps or coins or whatever, I look at preparedness as a hobby. Unlike a coin or stamp collector who would never consider actually using the items they collect, I actually get to use of most of my items through various training exercises, as well as during camping trips on weekends.

While it's unlikely we'll ever experience TEOTWAWKI or a zombie-infested PAW, I have had opportunities to use several of my items during a few SoCal earthquakes, a couple of extended power outages, and once when a week-long expedition into the mountains got quite ugly.

Although I also don't expect to ever witness a major civil disturbance scenario, I do have a collection of various firearms and a significant cache of spare mags and ammo. I enjoy most shooting sports and having lived through the last assualt weapons ban in 1994, I simply didn't want to find myself wishing that I had bought an AR-15 and a bunch of PMAGS two months into the next ban. One only has to look at how crazy everything has been over the past six weeks since the election to imagine how difficult it would be if you actually needed to acquire anything during a legitimate crisis.

Jim