Attention EMS & First Responders (3 Parts Inside)

Posted by: Desperado

Attention EMS & First Responders (3 Parts Inside) - 11/30/08 11:38 PM

First, I hope everyone had a safe and slow holiday weekend as I remember what it could be like out there.

Second . . .

To those that show up on scene and find "Joe Citizen" has all but expended his MAJOR blood stopping supplies and offer to replenish his kit (even partially),
a VERY BIG THANK YOU!!!!!

Everyone hang on, I am about to rant, let me find my soapbox...
It has taken me since Wednesday to calm down and I am editing as I go (family site, don't ya' know)

Yeah I know, I am the one who decided to stop and render aid and all that, but is it that hard to throw a guy a bone?

If any of the folks on I-35 in southern Oklahoma read this, I want them to know that one of the Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troopers tried to do just that from the small kit he keeps in his car.

The young "expert" from some private "bambulance" company (miss-spell intentional) could not get off his high horse long enough to even lend some hand wash to my son (17) where his gloves tore through.
But he did have time to remove the tourniquet from the completely severed leg of one person we found in the roadway (ejected from bed of pick-up)!

Please don't get me started on the TOTAL lack of C-Spine care etc.

It was a trying weekend.

I had to burn the clothes my son and I were wearing and thank god I had the 5th wheel behind us. It allowed wife to care for non-injured in some safety, and son and I to shower.

OK Rant over.

Third:
Anyone got a good on-line source for bulk blood stopping stuff? Not to mention small consumables, I have discovered many things were out of date when repacking the two kits. (single dose stuff)

Son will be visiting with a friend who is a professional counselor again tomorrow. (Thanks Wildman800)

Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Attention EMS & First Responders (Three Part) - 12/01/08 01:38 AM

I must have missed parts one and two somehow.

I have seen more than one ambulance in CA replace used supplies at the scene. They just add the charge onto the patients bill. I have given lots of state issued EMT supplies to folks who stopped to help. Nothing in policy covered that, I just did it 'cuz it was the right thing to do...

Re: Attention EMS & First Responders (Three Part) - 12/01/08 02:16 AM

Three parts in one. Some day I swear I am going to repaint the F350 and 5th Wheel like a EMS vehicle. Let me hit one highway and considerations of true EMT / Paramedic training comes closer to mind.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Attention EMS & First Responders (Three Part) - 12/01/08 03:12 AM

Desperado-
As a "bambulance" driver at one time myself... he should have restocked you. Call the company and complain to the shift manager. I've been refilled a few different times when I helped out first. Also, it's probably appropriate to complain about the patient care - Cspine, tourniquet removal, etc. You might be within rights to call the state EMS agency and reporting him.

Second... I35 is nasty. PLEASE make sure you know what's going on when you stop on the freeway - vehicle positioning, safety warnings, don't get nailed by some yahoo on a cell phone. I've wiped out there myself once.

For bulk, I always just run to Galls, but you can probably just google "EMS supplies" or something similar, as Galls can be pricey. Bulk 4x4s are dirt cheap, abd pads are pretty cheap too. Of course, any friends in a FD or hospital help too. Sometimes, Sportsmans Guide has some first aid supplies for cheap.

Re: Attention EMS & First Responders (Three Part) - 12/01/08 03:48 AM

I used the term "bambulance" due to the fact I grew up in small town Oklahoma, and we used that term for the guy that should have been a driver only, as-in:

"OK Joe-Bob, you got us here nice and safe, now you stay in the truck while we go help these folks"

Now I am not knocking all EMS folks up there (related to many), but whew, what a scene.

As a reserve deputy (in the old days) in a county astride I-35, I have had more time on the side of the Highway than I EVER wanted. You would be amazed how fast my fat a-- can vault over a car into the ditch.

A Ford F350 with a 40' 5th wheel travel trailer parked at an angle blocks a hell of a lot of traffic.

I found Red Flare and MFASCO on-line. Great pricing, and cheap shipping.

Since I have established a nest egg that will allow me to live off of interest w/o changing lifestyle, I am considering EMT1 to Paramedic training at night as an add on skill, while looking for a new gig.

Guess I should have been a Medic opposed to MP in the army.

Re: Attention EMS & First Responders (Three Part) - 12/02/08 12:27 AM

Originally Posted By: MDinana
Desperado-
As a "bambulance" driver at one time myself... he should have restocked you. Call the company and complain to the shift manager. I've been refilled a few different times when I helped out first. Also, it's probably appropriate to complain about the patient care - Cspine, tourniquet removal, etc. You might be within rights to call the state EMS agency and reporting him.

Second... I35 is nasty. PLEASE make sure you know what's going on when you stop on the freeway - vehicle positioning, safety warnings, don't get nailed by some yahoo on a cell phone. I've wiped out there myself once.

For bulk, I always just run to Galls, but you can probably just google "EMS supplies" or something similar, as Galls can be pricey. Bulk 4x4s are dirt cheap, abd pads are pretty cheap too. Of course, any friends in a FD or hospital help too. Sometimes, Sportsmans Guide has some first aid supplies for cheap.

Well I decided to contact the county the accident happened in to determine who to discuss this issue with.

After a lengthy run around, I found someone who was in a position of responsibility.

Turns out this was a "manpower issue" for the EMS company. The individual that made most (not all) of the grievous errors was indeed only supposed to drive the bus. He will soon be undergoing EMT1 training, but the company is way understaffed, and they sent him to help. Had the scene not been such a mess, the two trained EMS folks would not have lost track of him the way they did.

As far as the restock I just let it go. They offered to let me stop by next time I was in that area and they would help me out, but we only go that way occasionally so not worth it.

Obviously, the restock was not such a big deal as the untrained young man was.

I really don't think him removing the tourniquet was cause for the end result on that individual anyway. His outcome was pretty much a foregone conclusion.

Thanks for the ideas about calling the state and the company involved.

Posted by: Nishnabotna

Re: Attention EMS & First Responders (Three Part) - 12/02/08 12:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Desperado

The individual that made most (not all) of the grievous errors was indeed only supposed to drive the bus. He will soon be undergoing EMT1 training, but the company is way understaffed, and they sent him to help. Had the scene not been such a mess, the two trained EMS folks would not have lost track of him the way they did.

I hope he had some kind of training...
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Attention EMS & First Responders (Three Part) - 12/02/08 01:33 AM

Not necessarily. I think in CA it's still on the books that a "driver" doesn't need formal EMS training. that being said, I think they aren't supposed to be touching patients either!

Not sure about other states, but the phrase "ambulance driver" is around for a reason smile
Posted by: JohnE

Re: Attention EMS & First Responders (Three Part) - 12/02/08 02:50 AM

I'm curious, what actually happened?

John E.
Posted by: Dan_McI

Re: Attention EMS & First Responders (Three Part) - 12/02/08 03:16 AM

Desparado,

The untrained driver should have stayed in the bus, and I'd think it is likely he will at least get a tongue lashing. On the other hand, if he thought he was doing good, was trying to do and in reality did little harm, I would not want it to go that far.

However, your family should get a round of applause. I find too few people today are of the mindset to stop and help when they see someone in trouble.

Re: Attention EMS & First Responders (Three Part) - 12/02/08 03:42 AM

Originally Posted By: JohnE
I'm curious, what actually happened?

John E.

The accident happened just as we got there.
Rural I35 in this area has the shortest on-ramp / acceleration lanes I have ever seen. Basically when you reach the top of the ramp, you are in traffic.
The end of this ramp was just beyond the apex of a small hill/curve combination and was out of sight to approaching traffic.

A relatively new Chevy Impala SLOWLY entered traffic and was struck by a pick-up truck from behind at highway speed. This truck had just passed me earlier, and I commented on the fact he was going WAY to fast and had occupants in the open bed of the truck.

The back bumper of the Impala was pushed into the front seat passenger area and the two in the rear seat were deceased by the time I could get to the car. One occupant (riding on top of the crossover tool box) of the pick-up was ejected into the roadway and then his legs were run over by an 18 wheeler. Another vehicle then struck the pick-up from behind and had injuries inside it, but not nearly as bad as expected.

When I left the rig crossway blocking the lanes, traffic was already stopped behind me. I told my family to stay put and went to the Impala. When I turned to look back to my vehicle, my son already had the big vehicle FAK (it just keeps getting bigger) out and was headed to the car that hit the pick-up. (+1 for initiative - 1 for not following orders).

I went for the man down in the road and applied my belt as a hasty tourniquet to the one leg that was a total amputation + ABC's then ran back for the FAK. Bandaged the other leg (still don't understand why it wasn't gone also) and then the other wounds. USGI space blanket for shock and moved back to help son. (Honestly, I don't think he would have made it if he had landed in a trauma OR after the ejection, much less the amputation.)

First LEO's arrived about then, and really things get kinda fuzzy.

Distinctly remember wife and daughter had some "non-injured" kids in the trailer to shelter them from the sights. Other drivers helped also, but didn't get many details from them.

After it was all over, son and I decided to shower and change clothes before moving on.

Looking back, I have a small AAR:
1 gloves stored in heat of a vehicle degrade quickly. Buy Black Talon
2 More KERLIX, AB Pads, TONS OF 4x4's
3 Any spare space in your bags should be filled with Blood Stopping type
stuff
4 QuickClot bandages will be joining my FAK's as soon as ups gets them here
5 I really should not have obsessed on the resupply, I now see it makes me look like the horse's posterior that my ex-wife says I am.

And as my hero Forrest Gump said. "That, That's all I have to say... About that."

Posted by: JohnE

Re: Attention EMS & First Responders (Three Part) - 12/02/08 04:40 AM

Thanks for explaining. Good job on helping your fellow travelers and kudos to your son.

John E.
Posted by: KR20

Re: Attention EMS & First Responders (Three Part) - 12/02/08 04:51 AM

Desperado

Take a look at Boundtree Chinook Medical EMP and NARescue for supplies.

I would avoid the Black Talon gloves, it is easy to miss blood that has gotten on you and you could contanimate other things. Look at a Nitrate glove ( Microflex ) the synthetic holds up to the heat a lot better than Latex. Do you have gowns, masks, and eye protection in your kit? If not it might be worth looking into.
Posted by: kd7fqd

Re: Attention EMS & First Responders (Three Part) - 12/02/08 06:29 AM

Desperado, I agree with KR20 avoid Black Talon gloves it's too easy to miss blood on them, +1 on Microflex (good glove)+++1 on masks and eye protection (I don't know if gowns are worth the trouble but that's me) this guy was very lucky you came by as fast as you did, as far as the "driver" goes good move speaking to his "bosses", Don't sweat about being restocked, Tell DW more 4x4s for xmas (8 or 9 cases should suffice for a while) (snicker snicker)

Mike
Posted by: Nishnabotna

Re: Attention EMS & First Responders (Three Part) - 12/02/08 12:12 PM

If there's one thing I've learned from this site, it's that you can never have enough 4x4.

Re: Attention EMS & First Responders (Three Part) - 12/02/08 02:39 PM

Interesting crash. Be fun doing the diagram for that one. Great job on your part. Kinda exciting, huh???

Re: Attention EMS & First Responders (Three Part) - 12/02/08 11:18 PM

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
Interesting crash. Be fun doing the diagram for that one. Great job on your part. Kinda exciting, huh???

Yeah, another reason I am glad I don't do that full time any more. Of course, they use surveyor's equipment now as opposed to that tiny cheap measuring wheel that bounces more than it rolls. It had been a long time since I lost my lunch at something like that. (since the OKC bombing) Lunch was much better the first time. Accident scenes and spicy tex-mex just don't go well together.

The one thing I have never been able to wrap my mind around is why when the blood and gore is splattered everywhere, I usually am not bothered, but just let the discovery health channel come on and I am done.

The only thing this one lacked was fire. I was amazed the gas tank did not fail catastrophically. I just knew there was going to be a fire, but thank god no fire. Son is doing well, we have talked about it at length. May just have to make a USAF PJ out of him yet.

OBG,

I already knew this, but this incident refreshed my memory. An F350 and a 40 foot 5th wheel with 50 gallons of fuel and 100 gallons of fresh water plus all the stuff in it takes a LONG time to stop. Don't forget that next time you hit the road.

Re: Attention EMS & First Responders (Three Part) - 12/02/08 11:33 PM

Originally Posted By: KR20
Desperado

Take a look at Boundtree Chinook Medical EMP and NARescue for supplies.

I would avoid the Black Talon gloves, it is easy to miss blood that has gotten on you and you could contanimate other things. Look at a Nitrate glove ( Microflex ) the synthetic holds up to the heat a lot better than Latex. Do you have gowns, masks, and eye protection in your kit? If not it might be worth looking into.

Eye protection and masks in the small vehicle GHB, but son and I both wear safety sunglasses all the time. (Look like Oakleys but MUCH less costly)

Gowns I just don't have room for, and probably time for. A little gasoline and a match took care of the laundry this time. I will miss my belt, I made it myself years ago.

I actually use the Microflex in the trailer when doing the sanitary "doodies" at the dump station. Glad to hear they hold up well. They even have them at Wal-Mart here in town.

Thanks

Re: Attention EMS & First Responders (Three Part) - 12/02/08 11:52 PM

"...Don't forget that next time you hit the road..."

Our home on wheels is only 35 ft, but you are right, they don't stop on a dime...
Posted by: idiggHx

Re: Attention EMS & First Responders (Three Part) - 12/23/08 06:09 AM

... I can't even get my service to replace supplies that I use. Not that I would want their old, cheap, yellowed, crap. But I supply all of my own supplies. Though, I usually don't have a problem replacing supplies of those providing Initial care. May even trade a full O2 cylinder for an empty one, give if it's in date and not defective.

(For Kits and Disposables)
I find Pro Med to be the cheapest, but best quality.
http://www.progressivemed.com/

(for burn/IV solutions)
This one doesn't require a physicians order
http://www.bpmedicalsupplies.com/main.sc

Do NOT.. EVER... Buy from First Aid Only. I was spec'ing a kit, as we saw fit. A 50 Unit (b/c 36 Unit isn't enough) self made kit in a 3 shelf industrial box was my target. When I went to add the splint, I noticed that they sell the SAM Splint for $31 over the retail suggested price. In fact, most of their products, are gouged, at twice or more, their mfg.'s suggested value. So, I made a point, to tell them that their severely over priced splint, was the cause of them losing a $300.23 sale.

Re: Attention EMS & First Responders (Three Part) - 12/24/08 03:12 AM

Welcome Newguy!!!

Re: Attention EMS & First Responders (Three Part) - 12/24/08 08:32 AM

Thanks,

Welcome to the fire. Sorry your first "in" had to be on my rant.

Posted by: Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp

Re: Attention EMS & First Responders (Three Part) - 12/24/08 01:01 PM

Originally Posted By: MDinana
Not necessarily. I think in CA it's still on the books that a "driver" doesn't need formal EMS training. that being said, I think they aren't supposed to be touching patients either!

Same here in Illiois, the service I worked at in the early 90's had a guy that failed his EMT test 5 times, but they let him work as a "driver". He could NOT legally touch a patient, but we had to keep reminding him of that almost daily. Every chance he got when he thought you were to busy to watch him, he would start trying to "treat" people.

Posted by: Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp

Re: Attention EMS & First Responders (Three Part) - 12/24/08 01:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Nishnabotna
If there's one thing I've learned from this site, it's that you can never have enough 4x4.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!! smile