What item(s) from your BoB would you.......

Posted by: wildman800

What item(s) from your BoB would you....... - 11/28/08 05:32 PM

What item(s) from your BoB would you try to take into a "Crisis Relocation Camp" if you were rounded up??

This is a rhetorical question since we all know that such doesn't exist and there are no plans for any such animals!

I would try to keep my blankets/bedroll/sleeping bag, messkit/knife, fork, & spoon, and my
Bic/matches/firestarter(s).

The blankets/bedroll/sleeping bag helps to fulfill my shelter requirements.

The messkit, besides the obvious dining purpose, could be used as digging tools (for gardening), a minor defensive tool if you still have the knife.

The Bic/matches/firestarter(s) provide the means to have warmth, cooking, and would be a morale booster.

This supposes that unlike the Nazi's, you would be allowed to keep anything.
Posted by: Rodion

Re: What item(s) from your BoB would you....... - 11/28/08 06:44 PM

Um, all of it?

Strange question. If it's gotten that bad we need a refugee camp, who's to say the camp won't be disbanded the next day? I'd want as much of my gear as possible.

If you're asking what is the most important, it's a rather simple choice: knife and sleeping bag.
Posted by: Stu

Re: What item(s) from your BoB would you....... - 11/28/08 07:28 PM

I'd take nothing, because I wouldn't need anything after they tried to relocate me to camp. I'd not be going, period.
Posted by: Lono

Re: What item(s) from your BoB would you....... - 11/28/08 07:39 PM

I don't know about a 'Crisis Relocation Camp' as I don't know who runs those, but I now have some first hand experience running a Red Cross shelter, and wouldn't hesitate to enter with any of my kit. We had three homeless guys during a recent flood, and I read the shelter rules for them - no weapons, no smoking, etc - I arranged for one guy to surrender the weapon he had on him to a local sheriff so he could stay the night. He got it back in the morning. Everything else was okay to have with you in the shelter.
Posted by: LED

Re: What item(s) from your BoB would you....... - 11/29/08 05:59 AM

Depending on the number of people, type of crises, etc, I imagine the restrictions could be similar to those required for flying. No sharps, no flammables, no pets, and maybe a backpack and one small/med sized bag, if that. Yeah, I'll pass, thanks.
Posted by: HESS

Re: What item(s) from your BoB would you....... - 11/30/08 12:15 AM

It would depend if it were a camp set up resulting from a natural disaster or if it were a marshal law thing. In a natural disaster probably everything but firearms would be allowed from my B.O.B. IN a marshal law situation I could not comply and would have to escape, evade, or end it with some civil disobedience.
Posted by: Russ

Re: What item(s) from your BoB would you....... - 11/30/08 12:28 AM

One thing I did right in SERE training was not get caught. I would strive to not take anything into a government managed camp.

As for the rhetorical aspect of the question -- I would stash the entire kit so that it would be available after I found a way out of the camp. As you indicate, who's to say what they'd confiscate for the greater good. Once the crisis is over, I'll reclaim my stuff and do what needs doing.