I need a Canuck

Posted by: Desperado

I need a Canuck - 11/23/08 02:01 AM

I alluded to my handgun problem crossing US/CAN border in another thread.

Question: Are all handguns illegal in Canada?
Including for US commissioned peace officers?

It is a real bite to have to leave the CHL out of the HD's saddle bags.
sometimes the hotel is a tent, and the door lock just isn't that good.

Oh yeah, someday I must tell the story of not stopping for the mini-van I thought was a private security company car in Montreal. I had my own low speed chase going almost and didn't know it. I had never imagined the police driving a mini-van unless it was crime scene guys.

Did I mention I DON'T speak french.

Same guys ended up helping wife and I get back to hotel after Habs/Stars game that night. Long walk to St. Catherine's and across to Lowe's Vogue.
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: I need a Canuck - 11/23/08 02:15 AM

That's O.K. le Quebeca often ne parlais l'englais either.
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: I need a Canuck - 11/23/08 02:16 AM

Hi Desperado,

Here is a link to a Canadian Firearms Centre factsheet on importing firearms into Canada. The site has a lot of information on it and worth looking at if traveling to Canada with firearms.

Mike

Re: I need a Canuck - 11/23/08 02:26 AM

Thanks a million. DW and I really enjoy it up north, but I must find a way to leave sam colt just south of the border safely.

Can Canadian citizen own handguns? I used to handgun hunt long ago and far away. Seems like I remember stories in some magazines about folks going to Canada to do that.

Re: I need a Canuck - 11/23/08 03:23 AM

Thanks. I don't hunt anymore. (not since 1991) If a survival issue, hunting would be no problem, but I just don't feel the the need to hunt for sport. Still get license and tags each year, and my nephew makes sure to bring me some venison from my deer tag he uses while I am along as camp cook/chief bottle washer.

Re: I need a Canuck - 11/23/08 03:37 AM

Chris

French + Texan = What the heck did that fella just say? orQu'est-ce que le diable l'a fait juste de dire Fella. I hope. If it is wrong, blame Google
Posted by: climberslacker

Re: I need a Canuck - 11/23/08 02:12 PM

Me latin teacher who also taught french told us a story about teaching french in texas... it sounds slightly hilarious smile
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: I need a Canuck - 11/23/08 03:11 PM

"...Including for US commissioned peace officers?..."

Pretty much. I know of two CA peace officers who left their issued handguns, along with a hefty fine, in Canada when they got caught with them at the border. I also know of one officer, who was involved in a "cop ride" murdercycle ride from Cal up thru a lot of Canada and back. He managed to get a permit to bring two handguns with him. I don't recall the details, it was too long ago, but I think he got himself entered in some pistol match in Canada, which allowed him to carry the weapons, but not on his person, and not loaded.

It is pretty easy to bring certain rifles/shotguns into Canada, I did that a couple of years ago...
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: I need a Canuck - 11/23/08 03:27 PM

I learned french in 4-5-6 grades in an anglican private school.
Our teacher retired and announced she was visiting her homeland. We all got excited for her seeing Paris. Then she promised to send a postcard from Budapest.
It took 3 years of high school french to fix my accent.