worm infect woman brain that came from uncook pork

Posted by: picard120

worm infect woman brain that came from uncook pork - 11/22/08 07:28 PM

A woman got infected from a worm which came from improperly cook pork.

doctors are seeing more of these cases appearing in hospitals.
I just want to warn you guys of this issue. People aren't washing their hands properly or cook pork improperly.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=650_1227339383

Posted by: ironraven

Re: worm infect woman brain that came from uncook pork - 11/22/08 11:41 PM

Wash your hands. Make sure you cover any open cuts. Wash EVERYTHING immediately after putting the pork in the pan. Cook it completely.

Most of what eats pigs eats humans. Apparently, we taste the same.
Posted by: Stretch

Re: worm infect woman brain that came from uncook pork - 11/23/08 02:00 AM

I think the key is to cook the pork. Cook the pork!
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: worm infect woman brain that came from uncook pork - 11/23/08 02:10 AM

I caught the local grocery chain's butcher blowing his nose into his hands and wiping them on his apron before resuming work.
Nowadays I just walk with my chabbad nieghbors to the local kosher butchers.
Posted by: Desperado

Re: worm infect woman brain that came from uncook - 11/23/08 03:48 AM

Cook pork?

Amazing that such things must be said, but I have a customer that tried Trichinellosis on for size recently because she just doesn't like overcooked meat supposedly. All she will say is "not pleasant" regarding her experience.

Re: worm infect woman brain that came from uncook pork - 11/23/08 04:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
Nowadays I just walk with my chabbad nieghbors to the local kosher butchers.

Yes yes indeed. Avoiding any problems with uncooked pork. And yet I learned, during a "visit" to a kosher meat packing plant, that Rabbis sneeze too (and continue to work a 10 hour day in a cold plant). Sanitary, you ask? I testify before you.... "NO!".

Cook the meat, I say. It's not just to warm our insides. When we don;t cook the pork, we are just playing with the fire....

Re: worm infect woman brain that came from uncook pork - 11/23/08 04:40 AM

Cooking with parasites aside, for the moment....Is there any truth to the idea of avoiding aspirin after eating pork?
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: worm infect woman brain that came from uncook pork - 11/23/08 12:47 PM

Apparently even Bear Grylls will cook his SPAM thoroughly - freshly dispatched Zebra on the other hand holds no such precautions. What is shocking is his apparent lack of table manners - being a Brit he should at least know how to hold a knife and fork properly. laugh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BybDM7sjhvY

Posted by: Anonymous

Re: worm infect woman brain that came from uncook pork - 11/23/08 04:01 PM

I heard this on the radio the other day, I understood it to be undercooked pork, and in Mexico to boot.

We went to an Outback Steakhouse several years ago, my wife ordered pork chops, and the waitress said "how would you like those done?".. We both looked at her like she had 3 heads. She must have realized her mistake, and made up some dodge about their pigs being raised indoors.

Needless to say, we asked for the manager, and he took her aside to set things straight. I think, being a steakhouse, she just regurgitated (maybe a poor choice of words) the same rote statement she said after every order, and rather than admit her mistake, tried to tap dance around it.

But can you imagine someone saying to her, in reply, "oh, medium, I guess".

Am I wrong on this? I know they say if you freeze pork then no trichina survive, but yikes!
Posted by: leemann

Re: worm infect woman brain that came from uncook pork - 11/24/08 06:43 AM

Agreed cook pork completely.

Lee
Posted by: NAro

Re: worm infect woman brain that came from uncook pork - 11/24/08 12:35 PM

FROM THE CDC regarding trichinellosis:
... infection is now relatively rare. During 1997-2001, an average of 12 cases per year were reported. The number of cases has decreased because of legislation prohibiting the feeding of raw-meat garbage to hogs, commercial and home freezing of pork, and the public awareness of the danger of eating raw or undercooked pork products....If you eat raw or undercooked meats, particularly bear, pork, wild feline (such as a cougar), fox, dog, wolf, horse, seal, or walrus, you are at risk for trichinellosis.... Cases are less commonly associated with pork products and more often associated with eating raw or undercooked wild game meats.

How can I prevent trichinellosis?
Cook meat products until the juices run clear or to an internal temperature of 170 o F. Freeze pork less than 6 inches thick for 20 days at 5deg. F to kill any worms.
Cook wild game meat thoroughly. Freezing wild game meats, unlike freezing pork products, even for long periods of time, may not effectively kill all worms. Cook all meat fed to pigs or other wild animals.
Do not allow hogs to eat uncooked carcasses of other animals, including rats, which may be infected with trichinellosis.
Clean meat grinders thoroughly if you prepare your own ground meats. Curing (salting), drying, smoking, or microwaving meat does not consistently kill infective worms.

Since a number of us here hunt, I thought you'd be interested in this.

Posted by: Anonymous

Re: worm infect woman brain that came from uncook pork - 11/24/08 09:38 PM

Hmmm-
I wonder what is the reason that freezing wild game would not effectively kill the worms, yet freezing pork would?

And the <6 inch thick rule? what is the reason behind that?

Curiousity killed the, er, worm?
Posted by: RobertRogers

Re: worm infect woman brain that came from uncook pork - 11/26/08 08:58 PM

This is why everyone in my household washes hands as soon as they walk in the door from being in town. Just observe when you go into a public restroom the percentage of people who wash hands after taking a dump. My advice: do not touch the handle of the door with your bare hands!