Interesting article: Spam, flying off shelves

Posted by: Themalemutekid

Interesting article: Spam, flying off shelves - 11/15/08 10:06 PM

Seems like Spam & other non perishable food sales are booming. I wonder why? whistle
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Interesting article: Spam, flying off shelves - 11/15/08 11:18 PM

Probably what the article said, money's tight, times are hard, Spam resembles food on the table. Plus it has a good shelf life...
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Interesting article: Spam, flying off shelves - 11/18/08 05:15 AM

I am a Spam stocker (not stalker), got the taste for it living in Hawaii, and have about 16 cans I rotate out. Don't eat it often, but nice to do fried spam sandwiches, or cut it up in a fried rice dish, or Musubi.

That being said, I am due to replace some, hope there's not a shortage!
Posted by: UTAlumnus

Re: Interesting article: Spam, flying off shelves - 11/18/08 05:42 AM

Try chunks fried with potatoes & onions. This also works with vinena sausages.
Posted by: NIM

Re: Interesting article: Spam, flying off shelves - 11/18/08 12:50 PM

Wait a second. Spam is food? I mean I tried eating it once...I just thought it was a gag that had gotten out of hand.

Are you sure it's flying off the shelves and not being recalled due to its melamine or human parts per million? smile

Just because you don't know it's made of humans doesn't mean that it's ok to eat it (morally) or that you won't get Kuru!

Stomaches of cast iron you must have!

I'm kidding but I'm really impressed you can stomach it. I've eaten maggots, larva, and my outlaw's cooking ...but I can't handle that "food" product, at least not while death is still an option.

Needless comments by,

-NIM
Posted by: benjammin

Re: Interesting article: Spam, flying off shelves - 11/18/08 01:51 PM

Spam, spam, spam, spam. Spam, spam, spam, spam,....

A great Monty Python musical number, no doubt.

Spam is a good source of protein, saturated fat, and an excellent source of sodium. Everything you need in a survival food.

I've even had a spam pizza. Not bad, dripped grease about as much as a good pepperoni pizza. We used pineapple, black olives, and tomato slices. Some pepper flakes and you would be surprised.
Posted by: Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp

Re: Interesting article: Spam, flying off shelves - 11/18/08 02:06 PM

OMG, don't fall for it guys!!!

Posted by: comms

Re: Interesting article: Spam, flying off shelves - 11/18/08 03:35 PM

Living in the south pacific for a bit, I know SPAM is a staple of people who don't have a lot or any refrigeration space. My love for the 5th food group started much earlier than my travels.

Interestingly, cannibals on pacific islands were giving SPAM after WW2 and they remarked that it tasted like 'Long Pig.' When asked to define Long Pig, they said...people.
Posted by: Erik_B

Re: Interesting article: Spam, flying off shelves - 11/18/08 10:36 PM

Posted by: UTAlumnus

Re: Interesting article: Spam, flying off shelves - 11/20/08 01:22 AM

Quote:
I'm kidding but I'm really impressed you can stomach it.

Try it sliced thin (~1/4-1/2") & skillet fried. Other than that, when the potatoes & onions run out so does my appetite for Spam unless it's that or nothing.
Posted by: LED

Re: Interesting article: Spam, flying off shelves - 11/20/08 03:44 AM

Originally Posted By: l33tYoDuh
[
YoDuh - "Just here to serve man."

One of my favorite Twilight Zone episodes.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Interesting article: Spam, flying off shelves - 11/20/08 01:29 PM

Try a sandwich with mustard (quite a bit), mayo, and sweet pickles (they are the key here)...