Tent/Shelter Survey

Posted by: KenK

Tent/Shelter Survey - 11/14/08 03:23 PM

I'm just curious ...

What kind if tent / shelter do you use when out camping (or not sleeping in a brush pile)?

When I go camping I really enjoy the menagerie of different tent shapes, sizes, and colors.

I always thought that Boy Scout Camporees - where there are lots of troops and even more tents - somehow reminds me of a typical family Christmas tree.

My most used tents:
Cold-weather - Alps Mountaineering Taurus Outfitter 5-person
Warm-weather - Alps Mountaineering Meramac AL 6-person
Windy-weather - Eureka Assault Outfitter 4-person
Backpacking - Eureka Spitfire 2-person

Ken K.
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: Tent/Shelter Survey - 11/14/08 03:40 PM

I am afraid I have become a bit "soft" as I age and rarely use a small backpacking type tent anymore.

My week long October moose hunting trips are done from a 14'x16' canvas wall tent complete with cots and heated with a sheet metal wood stove.

Monthly youth group activities are done in a large military modular tent, in ground sheet shelters (hoochies) or in a 2 layer Artic tent in the winter.

Through work I occasionally have to spend long hours observing from one location, if it looks like rain/snow I erect a small camo tarp.

I purchased a Hennessy Hammock last year and as of yet have only tried it out in the daytime. It feels a little claustrophobic and cool on the underside due to air movement under the hammock.

Mike
Posted by: Tom_L

Re: Tent/Shelter Survey - 11/14/08 04:35 PM

Out in the woods I never carry a tent. I prefer an improvised shelter, almost always a lean-to. When alone I use a military poncho, which is plenty big enough for myself and my gear. When travelling in a group of 2 or 3 we bring a tarp, about 6'x10'. If necessary (in cold or very windy weather) I also construct some extra side screens, as simple as a few sticks and a big plastic bag.
Posted by: bmisf

Re: Tent/Shelter Survey - 11/14/08 04:51 PM

Most-used tents:

Solo non-extreme weather: Antigravitygear Tarptent or Bozeman Mountain Works bivy + poncho tarp
Duo non-extreme weather: Big Sky Evolution 2P
Solo or cramped Duo winter extreme weather: Hilleberg Jannu
Duo+ winter extreme weather, or when using a pulk and wanting lots of room: Hilleberg Saivo
Posted by: haertig

Re: Tent/Shelter Survey - 11/14/08 04:52 PM

Here's mine:

http://www.planetmountain.com/english/Lab/gear/nebula/index.html

http://www2.thenorthface.com/download/pdf/instructions-A130.pdf

A rock solid beast, but because of that it's heavier. It's 3-4 season convertible with zip out panels. And three support poles instead of the two you normally find on a tent of this shape. The poles feed through in sleeves, not loops or clips. This is a lot more stable and solid, at the expense of air movement. This lack of air movement between tent and fly is great when it's cold out but can make the tent too warm during hot weather, even with the 4-season panels open.

This tent is no longer made. I picked it up for next to nothing from REI on closeout. $149!!! Previously selling at right near $400, and that was ten years ago.
Posted by: Nishnabotna

Re: Tent/Shelter Survey - 11/14/08 04:56 PM

Bargin 2 person 2 pole dome tent. Cold weather, hot weather, wet weather... whatever. No complaints.
Posted by: benjammin

Re: Tent/Shelter Survey - 11/14/08 05:36 PM

I have a couple nylon dome style tents. I think mine are three pole. I have to have something at least 8 x 7 on account of my size.

Re: Tent/Shelter Survey - 11/14/08 06:05 PM

The The North Face Nebula looks amazingly like the Eureka Assault:

http://www.eurekatent.com/p-67-assault-outfitter-4.aspx

That's the commercial version of the Marine Combat Tent that Eureka makes for the USMC. I really like the tent, though I prefer not having pole sleeves and like having the taller (6') tents for longer-term camping.

The Assault is a very nice tent, but as you say, its a bit on the heavy side.

Ken K.
Posted by: haertig

Re: Tent/Shelter Survey - 11/14/08 07:00 PM

Yes, the Eureka and North Face to look similar in design. Tent shape, pole layout, sleeves, etc. Slight differences in windows and fly door. The Eureka website says "pre-bent aluminum frame", but my poles are straight and then bend you insert them in the sleeves. The North Face also has a zip out top panel (mesh underneath) which makes it 3-4 season convertible, at least on paper. In practice, the pole sleeves and rainfly prevent much air getting into the top mesh. But it works well without the rainfly in place.
Posted by: dweste

Re: Tent/Shelter Survey - 11/14/08 07:16 PM

Usually just use a tarp as groundcloth, which is big enough to fold over my sleeping gear if wind, rain, etc. make that appropriate.

Also use an REI HooDoo3 if the need for privacy or the likelihoood of inclement weather make it appropriate.
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Tent/Shelter Survey - 11/14/08 07:19 PM

Quote:
What kind if tent / shelter do you use when out camping (or not sleeping in a brush pile)?

Crux X2 Storm - Mainly for winter use up high - http://www.crux.uk.com/en/crux_tents_x2_storm.php

Lightwave ZR0 Cylq - If I'm out by myself for Spring and Autumn use - Not available anymore..Its equivalent would be the Lightwave TO Ultra - http://www.lightwave.uk.com/en/tent_t0ultra.php

Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: Tent/Shelter Survey - 11/14/08 08:07 PM

i have run this before but you are..

Hilleberg Atko..one man tent and proof against anything except falling trees and rampaging moose..the weather in canoe country can get wet and cold fast.summer thunderstorms are severe ..i have woke up with inches of water under this tent and was still dry..it's small but i use it just for sleeping and storm sheltering and have a Baker style shelter for general rain and bug protection
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Tent/Shelter Survey - 11/14/08 09:06 PM

We got rid of our 10x13 canvas tent, our 13x13 dome, and just go with the 7x7 square based dome that I bought waaayyy back in 1989. But when we used it a few months ago we discovered that a zipper is on its last legs, so we just replaced it with this one by Eureka. Haven't had a chance to actually use it yet...
Posted by: Desperado

Re: Tent/Shelter Survey - 11/14/08 09:47 PM

I assume that this is cheating . . . .

But I have to confess that this is what I take as Base Camp for most Harley trips and as a base camp for back pack camping trips. It allows us to move around the country in comfort and then hike out for several days from there.

Oh yeah, beats the heck out of sleeping 5 in the cab of an F350.

Backpacking, means field expedient shelter augmented with GI Ponchos.
Posted by: Stretch

Re: Tent/Shelter Survey - 11/14/08 11:27 PM

I use a Kelty Gunnison 4. Enough for my family plus gear. Whatever doesn;t fit inside can stow in the limited room of the two vestibules.
Posted by: Jeff_M

Re: Tent/Shelter Survey - 11/14/08 11:33 PM

Usually a Bibler bivy, occasionally a SD Clip Flashlight or Orion.

Jeff
Posted by: clearwater

Re: Tent/Shelter Survey - 11/15/08 12:13 AM

Tarps for solo, Pyramid Tarps for family and friends.

Silicone nylons or sometimes Cuben Fiber.
Posted by: Paul810

Re: Tent/Shelter Survey - 11/15/08 12:14 AM

When I'm not making my own shelter I have a Eureka Solitaire that I use. I've had it for a long time and I like it. It's small and light weight, but still reasonably durable. They're also pretty inexpensive and readily available. My only problems with it are it's a bit tighter than many more modern designs, and it's not really a winter tent (as the top is open mesh with a fly cover and there is no center support). I've never had a problem with it though.

Hmm, I think it's about time to get myself a new winter sleeping bag and tent, maybe a nice bivy bag too for the summer. whistle
Posted by: GoatRider

Re: Tent/Shelter Survey - 11/15/08 02:09 AM

Now that I'm always car-camping, I use the REI Basecamp-8 for me, my wife, and the dog. Yah I know, I'm getting soft in my old age. This is a 4-season, full rain-fly tent. We used to canoe-camp with just a 3-person tent.
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: Tent/Shelter Survey - 11/15/08 02:05 PM

In my large BOB I have a Green Eureka K-2 XT that has been excellent. After 3 years it's still in great shape. I use a Eureka Floor saver with it.

In my small BOB I have a 10' x 10' Polyurethane Coated Nylon Tarp, which I'm really starting to use over the Eureka because of the ease of use and versatility. I'm thinking about adding a mosquito net to this setup.
Posted by: AROTC

Re: Tent/Shelter Survey - 11/15/08 03:17 PM

I have an Army bivy I picked up on e-bay for about $150 with the two sleeping bags that come with it. I also bought a thermarest pad that fits inside. I've camped in Wyoming in November in it and was pretty comfortable. I've slept dry in a down pour in it too. My only complaint is that the head doesn't zip or velcro securely.

I just open the valve on the pad and roll the whole thing up and crush it in the compression sack. Takes about 10 minutes to setup and take down. I'll also carry a poncho or small tarp to protect my gear.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Tent/Shelter Survey - 11/15/08 03:40 PM

I use the REI Half Dome w/footprint, I've found a free-standing tent is the quickest and most multi-terrain friendly. The rainfly has a little plastic window so you can see out without getting out. Lots of complaints about condensation, but I haven't had that problem. Kinda heavy at 6 pounds.

Plus you can use just the rainfly, poles, and footprint as a minimalist shelter if need be.

It has a built in attic, vestibule, etc., like most tents do these days.
Posted by: Paragon

Re: Tent/Shelter Survey - 11/16/08 03:12 AM

GHB/Vehicle kit (Solo) - Eureka Solitair

BoB/Backpacking (Solo) - The North Face Bullfrog 23

INCH/Car Camping (Duo) - Coleman Sundome 7' x 7'

(Actually my Sundome is silver with a red fly).

I also have a Hennessy Expedition ASYM and an Equinox 10' x 12' siliconized nylon ultra-light tarp that I sometimes use in hot/muggy weather.

The Solitair is a great little tent for the GHB/Vehicle kit, although it doesn't have enough space to keep my backpacking gear inside during regular camping trips. Next summer I plan to use this as my gear garage when I'm camping with the Hennesy or the Equinox.

The Bullfrog is my favorite tent for solo backpacking or car camping. It's similar to the TNF Tadpole, although it's somewhat larger in that it actually sleeps two very comfortably. It's the perfect size for me when I'm out on my own (or camping with others with their own tents) as well as stowing all my gear inside. Even when sleeping two, there is enough space in the vestibule for boots and a couple of packs.

The Sundome is a true 3-person tent, but my hope is to eventually drag my wife and our two small doggies out for the weekend. There should still be enough space to keep all our weekend gear inside as well.

Jim
Posted by: Brosia

Re: Tent/Shelter Survey - 11/17/08 07:15 PM

I am purely a fair-weather, full-utilities campground sort of camper, so my Walmart tent works just fine for me and my 2 kids. With air mattresses.

but when I go camping, I too love to look at the different styles and colors of the tents.

Re: Tent/Shelter Survey - 11/17/08 07:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Brosia
I am purely a fair-weather, full-utilities campground sort of camper ...

What ... no brush shelters?? Just kidding. Welcome to the Campfire!!!
Posted by: GameOver

Re: Tent/Shelter Survey - 11/18/08 12:54 PM

We do car camping at established pad sites. For the 6 of us I use 2 Big Agnes Big House 4 tents.
http://www.bigagnes.com/str_tents.php?bid=11

I've never been a big fan of the giant family tent, I prefer a couple quality tents. The BH4 fits 3 people plus gear fairly well. It has kept us dry in some heavy rains.

I have the vestibule for one of the tents. While nice it does add a large footprint.

We have only done 3 trips (2 of which had decent rain, of course) and the tents have stood up well, are fairly easy to set up, and I am happy with them.

All of my younger camping days were in a Eureka Timberline, still one of my favorite tent models.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Tent/Shelter Survey - 11/18/08 03:59 PM

Welcome Newguy!!!
Posted by: Hikin_Jim

Re: Tent/Shelter Survey - 11/18/08 11:10 PM

I mostly back pack. Here's what I've got:

-Winter, 1 or 2 person - An old North Face tent that I bought used in the late 80's. I'm pretty sure it's from the 70's. I have no idea what model it is, but it's fairly light for a four season tent at about 7.5 lbs. I've taken it through some pretty good storms (in terms of wind velocity), but I've never taken it through a big dump of heavy, wet snow.

-Three season, 2 person - Big Agnes Sunnyslope 2. Big Agnes has a pretty good reputation in the backpacking community. I have to say my tent has lived up to the Big Agnes reputation. I went through a major, sustained thunderstorm in the Rockies, and not one drop got inside. The rain from the thunderstorm was coming down so hard that there were splash marks almost all the way to the top of the tent, and the Sunnyslope 2 is not a low-slung tent.

-Summer, 1 person - Hennesy Hammock. A very comfortable, practical shelter if you're in areas with trees and not a lot of brush and the weather's good. I've frozen my butt off in the fall. I only take the hammock if I'm familiar with the place I intend to camp. In S. Calif, one cannot always count on suitable trees.

-Summer, 1 person - OR Aurora bivy. For when I don't know that I can use my hammock. Very light and compact, but like most bivvies, a bit claustrophobic. I get the sense too that the bivvy compresses my down bag a bit. I've been cold even at temperatures well above the rating of my sleeping bag when using the bivvy whereas I sleep much more warmly in a tent.

Also for summer, I have a 1 person Kelty Dart I. If you're looking for a one person shelter, don't get this one. I've found it has huge condensation problems and is a bit small for a six footer like me.

For car camping, I have a Sierra Designs Omega tent which is a spacious backpacking tent. My (petite) wife and I fit inside with room to spare. My Omega is a bit more comfortable with it's extra space and multiple pockets, but is heavier than my Sunnyslope 2 which is why I tend to use the Omega for car camping.

Lastly, I've got an REI Camp Dome 2 that I picked up at a Used Gear Sale for something like $25.00. It's a bit small for me (short mainly). I use the tent as a loaner for friends who want to camp or backpack but don't have all their own gear (or don't want to take their good gear on a plane when they visit from out of town). For $25.00, it's no big loss if "stuff happens."

Re: Tent/Shelter Survey - 11/18/08 11:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim

-Summer, 1 person - OR Aurora bivy. For when I don't know that I can use my hammock. Very light and compact, but like most bivvies, a bit claustrophobic. I get the sense too that the bivvy compresses my down bag a bit. I've been cold even at temperatures well above the rating of my sleeping bag when using the bivvy whereas I sleep much more warmly in a tent.

Recent studies shows that some compression of down
INCREASES its r-value or insulation ability, in fact
compressing the down by 25% in loft may be the most
efficient amount.

It works by making the dead air space more dead, kind of
like how thinsulite works.

I always thought I slept warmer in a two bag system when
the down bag was on the inside. Now I may know why.

Re: Tent/Shelter Survey - 11/19/08 06:21 AM

Interesting! Really interesting. Do you have a link regarding the increased R value effect that occurs when compressing down?
Posted by: Jesselp

Re: Tent/Shelter Survey - 11/20/08 04:05 PM

I've been using a Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight 2 for many years as my backpacking tent. It was given to me as a gift by a close friend when I was his best man at his wedding.

It is relatvely light weight (very lightweight for its time) and has kept me dry in some substantial downpours. It was comfortable for me alone, and cozy when I had company.

Now that I have a family, I'm in the market for a more "family sized" tent. Most likely for car camping for the next few years.

I've used other Sierra Designs tents over the years and always been very happy with them.

Re: Tent/Shelter Survey - 11/20/08 05:20 PM

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/index.html

Search their forums for R value and down compression.

Re: Tent/Shelter Survey - 11/20/08 10:21 PM

Originally Posted By: clearwater
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/index.html

Search their forums for R value and down compression.
Cool, thanks. I'll check it out.
Posted by: ohiohiker

Re: Tent/Shelter Survey - 11/23/08 06:51 AM

Unless I get corralled into the hotelesque Family Tent, eek I'm sleeping in the hammock/tarp I made (and am continually changing each month). I haven't done a winter overnighter in it yet, but plan to soon.