Beware of wildlife!

Posted by: Arney

Beware of wildlife! - 11/05/08 11:57 PM

This news story sounds almost like a bad comedy sketch. A woman was attacked by a rabid fox while jogging and she ran a mile back to her car with the animal clamped onto her arm the whole way. Then she drove herself to the hospital. Can you imagine what was going through her mind during all this? Hope she's OK.
Posted by: Desperado

Re: Beware of wildlife! - 11/06/08 12:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Arney
This news story sounds almost like a bad comedy sketch. A woman was attacked by a rabid fox while jogging and she ran a mile back to her car with the animal clamped onto her arm the whole way. Then she drove herself to the hospital. Can you imagine what was going through her mind during all this? Hope she's OK.

Yeah, she was thinking "What a nice looking new neck warmer"
Posted by: UncleGoo

Re: Beware of wildlife! - 11/06/08 02:18 AM

She's lucky that no one threw red paint on her for wearing fur...
Posted by: benjammin

Re: Beware of wildlife! - 11/06/08 01:54 PM

"Nothing like a good piece of hickory".

Whether running, hiking, walking, biking, whatever, I always have at least a walking stick with me, and this is one reason why. Rabid fox clamped onto stick is much preferable to clamped onto arm. If stick gets rabies, I will put it down and get another.

Now comes the needle in the belly routine for a while.
Posted by: LumpyJaw

Re: Beware of wildlife! - 11/06/08 02:35 PM

Quote:
"Nothing like a good piece of hickory".

Pale Rider?
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Beware of wildlife! - 11/06/08 03:00 PM

I a mile she couldn't find one nice sized rock to smack that little guy with???
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: Beware of wildlife! - 11/06/08 03:49 PM

i just read the whole story on another site..she was jogging and saw it in a clearing..backed away and in got her by the leg,tried to strangle it and it got her arm..back at the car she
got it off and wrapped it in a shirt..tossed in trunk..both her and the wildlife officer who was involved --and got bit--got shots..thats the first rabid animal story i have see i awhile..
i could see that the run to the car was a better choice than fighting with it in the field..wraping it up..taking it with her..all cool thinking dispite a crazed fox snapping away at you.
Posted by: Hikin_Jim

Re: Beware of wildlife! - 11/06/08 04:04 PM

Tough chick. Someone should invite her to the ETS forum...

Re: Beware of wildlife! - 11/06/08 04:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim

Yeah. Anyone who has the presence of mind to want to keep the animal so it can be tested for rabies...well, she's tougher than me. I probably would've run away screaming like a little girl (no offense to little girls). wink

Re: Beware of wildlife! - 11/06/08 05:13 PM

Well, that's good news. I don't like them long needles no-how.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Beware of wildlife! - 11/07/08 04:19 AM

She was on CNN this morning, and they interviewed the folks camping near where it occured, Prescott AZ, I think.

The campers were kinda comical- they wondered what all the hubbub was about........
Posted by: haertig

Re: Beware of wildlife! - 11/07/08 05:01 AM

That had to look peculiar to anybody else in the parking lot. Girl jogs up. Fox latched onto arm. Opens trunk. Throws fox in. Gets into car. Drives off. I know I'd be doing a double-take if I saw that one unfold.
Posted by: Todd W

Re: Beware of wildlife! - 11/07/08 05:32 AM

I`m interested in the cause myself... crazy store though.
Posted by: Desperado

Re: Beware of wildlife! - 11/09/08 04:50 PM

Yeah. Anyone who has the presence of mind to want to keep the animal so it can be tested for rabies...well, she's tougher than me. I probably would've run away screaming like a little girl (no offense to little girls). wink [/quote]

Having worn the "bite sleeve"and fought trained German Shepherds, I PROMISE this was no easy task.

One only has to look at my hands and arms to see where the dog got the wrong arm.

We had two GSDs start fighting at the same time my DD came out to pet the dogs. (age 3 at the time) I dove between her and them while DW took her inside. 52 puncture wounds later (36 of those major), I learned NOT to have two dominate (alpha) females in the same yard. Even if only dog sitting one for three days.

Kudos to this lady for toughing it out, but maybe a can of postman's mace could be fit onto he MP3 carrier.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Beware of wildlife! - 11/09/08 06:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim

We sure this wasn't Sue? wink
Posted by: Susan

Re: Beware of wildlife! - 11/10/08 02:36 AM

THANK GOD, NO!

She makes me look like a crying wimp (no offense to wimps grin )!

The vet I used to work for described a multiple-month rabies outbreak in CA when he worked there. It gave me the heebiejeebies galore! He said the rabid cats were the worst.

Sue
Posted by: nursemike

Re: Beware of wildlife! - 11/10/08 03:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Susan
THANK GOD, NO!

She makes me look like a crying wimp (no offense to wimps grin )!

The vet I used to work for described a multiple-month rabies outbreak in CA when he worked there. It gave me the heebiejeebies galore! He said the rabid cats were the worst.

Sue

There was an outbreak in upstate NY in the early 90's. Players included a child attacked by a rabid otter, a couple of raccoons and foxes, and a farmer exposed to transmission by cow drool. It was sorta interesting for a while-we were using a 3 shot series of vaccinations as I recall. Note to Benjammin-the injections do not hurt as long as you hold still while we screw them in-
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Beware of wildlife! - 11/10/08 03:28 AM

"...the rabid cats were the worst..."

Bad news for Blast...

Re: Beware of wildlife! - 11/10/08 03:48 AM

Originally Posted By: MDinana
We sure this wasn't Sue? wink

I knew that it couldn't have been Sue. If it were her, the article would have said something about the woman using a road flare to chase off the rabid fox (the same flares that she can't carry in her work vehicle), and then using the lit flare to cauterize and sterilize her bite wounds so that she would be safe from rabies. Now that would've been Sue! wink
Posted by: Themalemutekid

Re: Beware of wildlife! - 11/10/08 07:31 AM

WTF?? Nobody had a knife or stick?? Any wild animal that did that to me would be a goner...LOL
Posted by: comms

Re: Beware of wildlife! - 11/10/08 02:50 PM

I heard this morning on the top of hour radio news, that Arizona may break its previous rabies outbreak record. This has been projected since May of this year and it trending accurate.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2008/11/08/20081108rabies1108.html

Re: Beware of wildlife! - 11/10/08 04:05 PM

Sounds like it's time for agencies to consider dropping rabies vaccine impregnated feed along the transtition zones. They had to do that a couple years ago along the Appalachian corridor due to an outbreak among raccoons and such. Don't know how effective that was.