Length of lanyards on sighting (mirror) compass

Posted by: SARbound

Length of lanyards on sighting (mirror) compass - 10/20/08 03:37 AM

Just wondering what is the length of most lanyards on sighting compasses such as the Silva Ranger and Suunto MC-DL2...

Would any owners of such sighting compasses take a second to measure their lanyards?

Thanks smile
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: Length of lanyards on sighting (mirror) compas - 10/20/08 05:52 AM

The length of the lanyard on my Suunto MC-2G is 18 inches from the attachment point on the base-plate to the end of the adjustable collar-piece, so the lanyard's total length is about 36 inches in diameter give or take a quarter of an inch.
Posted by: Hikin_Jim

Re: Length of lanyards on sighting (mirror) compas - 10/20/08 06:13 PM

Most of the lanyards I've seen (Silva and Suunto) are way too short. I'll measure mine tonight when I get home, but you might think about getting a longer lanyard than is standard.

To sight, one holds the compass at about arm's length. The lanyards I've seen are too short for this. What I've done is to untie the lanyard so that it is no longer a loop around my neck but is one single long line, one end of which is affixed to my pack strap and other end to the compass. This seems to work well for me. I store my compass in a pouch on my pack strap by the way. If you store your compass in your pocket, my method wouldn't work well at all.

On those occasions that I use the compass but am not wearing a pack, I keep the compass in a (buttonable) chest pocket and affix one end of the lanyard to a buttonhole on my shirt.

HTH,

HJ

Re: Length of lanyards on sighting (mirror) compas - 10/21/08 06:42 AM

I measured my Ranger's lanyard. Approx 28", but I've got a got a couple of loops in it at either end. Call it 34" or 36".

Like I say, I want it longer (than standard) so I can sight at arm's length while still having attached to my person.

Re: Length of lanyards on sighting (mirror) compas - 10/22/08 04:39 AM

Jim : 36" is the total length of the lanyard then? So that means the compass is hanging about 18" below your neck?

I'm working on an adjustable lanyard using a double fisherman's knot. I'll be able to slide both parts closer to each other (longer lanyard, to sight at arm's length) or farther (shorter lanyard for simple neck carry only). Sounds like that might work! I'll post a few pics when i'm done.

Thanks for your ideas and measurements guys.

Re: Length of lanyards on sighting (mirror) compas - 10/22/08 04:52 AM

Yes, that's basically correct regarding the length of the lanyard although some of the lanyard's length is taken up when tying the two ends together and by the larkshead (aka lanyard hitch) that attaches the compass to the lanyard.

Your idea sounds interesting. I'll look forward to the pix.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Length of lanyards on sighting (mirror) compass - 10/22/08 02:07 PM

I'm not gonna dig mine out to measure, but it is just long enough for me to hold it at arms length with the lanyard drawn tight against my neck. The tension helps me hold the compass nice and steady...
Posted by: Yuccahead

Re: Length of lanyards on sighting (mirror) compass - 10/22/08 03:01 PM

I know it's not exactly the brand/style you were asking about but the lanyard loop on my Cammenga GI compass is 27" long -- that is, the string is around 54" long. GI lanyards might be designed to be longer since it has to go over helmets and other gear.
Posted by: KenK

Re: Length of lanyards on sighting (mirror) compass - 10/22/08 03:27 PM

Yeah, I tend to hold the compass at arms length, but with my elbow kinda bent a little, and replace the factory lanyard with one of sufficient length. I've been using some "Sportsman Cord" that I found at a Walmart some years back.

I don't like the feel of the lanyard bobbing back & forth on my stomach when walking, so either I wear a shirt with a breast pocket or stow the compass in another pocket (pants, fanny pack, day pack, etc ...).

I've read people suggesting to attach the lanyard to something other than a neck in order to minimize risks of strangulation. So far I still put it around my neck.

Re: Length of lanyards on sighting (mirror) compass - 10/22/08 05:15 PM

Originally Posted By: KenK
I don't like the feel of the lanyard bobbing back & forth on my stomach when walking, so either I wear a shirt with a breast pocket or stow the compass in another pocket (pants, fanny pack, day pack, etc ...).

I've read people suggesting to attach the lanyard to something other than a neck in order to minimize risks of strangulation. So far I still put it around my neck.
I can't stand having a compass bobbing about either, and I can't imagine it's good for the compass. I have a pouch that I affix to my pack's shoulder strap. I then run the lanyard out of the pouch and tie it to another point on the shoulder strap. I don't know if this photo is big enough to be illustrative, but hopefully it's helpful.

Re: Length of lanyards on sighting (mirror) compass - 10/24/08 02:03 AM

There we go.

Re: Length of lanyards on sighting (mirror) compass - 10/24/08 04:50 AM

Hmm. Interesting. Is it easy (and quick) to adjust? Interesting concept. I wonder if you could build something into the compass like a tape measure's retractor or like a retracting key ring.
Posted by: Kris

Re: Length of lanyards on sighting (mirror) compass - 10/24/08 12:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
Hmm. Interesting. Is it easy (and quick) to adjust? Interesting concept. I wonder if you could build something into the compass like a tape measure's retractor or like a retracting key ring.

If you look at some Scuba online stores, you find all sorts of retracting key rings (mainly for your computer)... here is an example:
http://www.joediveramerica.com/page/JDA/PROD/ae/LR-7424

I personally don't like them for diving, but they could be used for other purposes!!!
Posted by: aloha

Re: Length of lanyards on sighting (mirror) compass - 10/24/08 03:51 PM

Just doing a quick gear check before leaving for camp. The lanyard on my Silva is 30".

Re: Length of lanyards on sighting (mirror) compass - 10/24/08 08:26 PM

The retractable key rings are usually too loose to hold the weight of the compass. I think my double fisherman knot lanyard is stronger and just as effective. And I can wear it around my neck at all times.

Re: Length of lanyards on sighting (mirror) compass - 10/24/08 10:03 PM

Originally Posted By: SARbound
The retractable key rings are usually too loose to hold the weight of the compass. I think my double fisherman knot lanyard is stronger and just as effective. And I can wear it around my neck at all times.
Gotcha. If you get a chance, perhaps a few "field notes" would be in order?