How Will You Prefer To Check Out???

Posted by: wildman800

How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/10/08 03:09 PM

Just read a post on the Survival Forum stating an opinion on how someone would or would not want to check out of this life. That got me to thinking......I know it's dangerous,,,,,

How have I expected to check out? by gunshot before 30.

How do I want to check out? In bed while sleeping.

How do I NOT want to check out? By an accident, especially a stupid accident.

What are y'all's expectations or desires on this rather morbid subject.

By the way, I don't like Undertakers and I want to be cremated so I can keep them from getting a chunk of what I have worked my life away for!
Posted by: Blast

Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/10/08 03:16 PM

Not sure, but I hope it happens after I turn 110 and cheerleaders are involved. laugh

-Blast
Posted by: DesertFox

Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/10/08 03:18 PM

Quick and painless. But not soon.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/10/08 03:26 PM

In my sleep would be just fine. What I do not want to do is cause a lot of people to put themselves in jeopardy searching for my body.

Once I am gone, cremate me. We have plans for my wife/widow to scatter a little bit of me in every state she travels thru...
Posted by: CityBoyGoneCountry

Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/10/08 03:26 PM

How have I expected to check out? Heart attack.

How do I want to check out? I don't want to check out.

How do I NOT want to check out? Drowning or burning.
Posted by: CityBoyGoneCountry

Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/10/08 03:28 PM

When I'm dead, just throw my body on the compost heap. That way I can give back at least a little something to the planet I have taken so much from.
Posted by: rescueguru

Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/10/08 03:33 PM

Given the oppurtunity to choose, I think I'd like to live forever providing I am in reasonable health, able to ambulate, and most importantly in my right mind or at least like I am now. However, since this isn't possible yet:

How I expected to check out: Shot, stabbed, or blown up during a tactical operation. Thankfully hasn't happened YET.

How I would Like to check out: Sleeping in a hammock on a Caribbean island near the beach.

How I DO NOT want to check out: I DON'T WANT TO BURN. I've spent all my adult life fighting the Red Devil and I don't want him to win in the end.

Problem is, WE don't get to choose except in one instance and I'll assure ya I'm not gonna hurt myself.

Two evident truths that remain constant, (1) If I'm found dead and it looks like suicide, someone has cleaverly disguised a murder mad, and (2), check my wallet because the winning lottery is there grin
Posted by: Angel

Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/10/08 03:55 PM

I don't look at death as the end so I don't fear it. I hope I go on an adventure and am never found. I don't want searchers looking for me or risking their lives in any way trying to find me. I'd prefer it if nobody was around or even knew it.
Posted by: Nishnabotna

Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/10/08 04:16 PM

Originally Posted By: CityBoyGoneCountry
How have I expected to check out? Heart attack.

How do I want to check out? I don't want to check out.

How do I NOT want to check out? Drowning or burning.

+1
Posted by: benjammin

Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/10/08 04:28 PM

How do I want to check out? When they fire up the atom smasher at the LHC in Switzerland/France and create an artificial black hole that sucks the whole planet in, that'd be a one timer worth experiencing I reckon.

How I do not want to check out? Like the friend who stroked out in the hospital over a two and a half week period. Even the nurses and doctors couldn't take watching him go through it. I shoulda put a pillow over his face, but I was too young and stupid then.

Alternatively my cousin woke up with a headache and half an hour later he was gone. Aneurism.
Posted by: Rodion

Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/10/08 04:44 PM

Never thought I'd make it to 20. Had a passive death wish of sorts.

I would like to take a bullet for someone, thanks. Preferably someone I like, but anyone will do really.

I would not like to end up as a Darwin Award nominee.
Posted by: Jeff_M

Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/10/08 05:20 PM

I'd like to go just like my grandpa did - drunk and asleep ...

Anyway, certainly not like those poor screaming passengers on his bus at the time.

Jeff
Posted by: wildman800

Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/10/08 05:30 PM

This I have to comment on: I think I know where you're thinking is.

I used to call Miami my "Homeport Away from Homeport". I'd walk into town in the morning and I'd observe this very elderly gentleman being wheeled out onto the porch. I'd be going by again, around lunch and he'd still be there. I'd be sloshing by there, 3 sheets to the wind, that evening, and then I'd watch as the nurse came got him, and wheeled him off to bed, after a changing/freshening up. That old man had been sitting in that chair, in his body waste via a diaper, for the entire day, and everyday that I'd pass by there in good weather.

I hope I'll be able to exercise the .45ACP option before I'd get to that point of an existence.

BTW, I plan to live until my 200th birthday, just to do my part in driving Uncle Sammy broke by paying my retirement and medical expenses, aka: out of pure spite!!!!
Posted by: Rodion

Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/10/08 05:43 PM

Originally Posted By: NightHiker
I have a pretty strong feeling that I'll check myself out.

Heck of an attitude for somebody interested in survival aint it?

Well, you don't get into disaster preparedness by being well adjusted...
Posted by: Stu

Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/10/08 06:35 PM

Originally Posted By: wildman800

I used to call Miami my "Homeport Away from Homeport". I'd walk into town in the morning and I'd observe this very elderly gentleman being wheeled out onto the porch. I'd be going by again, around lunch and he'd still be there. I'd be sloshing by there, 3 sheets to the wind, that evening, and then I'd watch as the nurse came got him, and wheeled him off to bed, after a changing/freshening up. That old man had been sitting in that chair, in his body waste via a diaper, for the entire day, and everyday that I'd pass by there in good weather.

I hope I'll be able to exercise the .45ACP option before I'd get to that point of an existence.

BTW, I plan to live until my 200th birthday, just to do my part in driving Uncle Sammy broke by paying my retirement and medical expenses, aka: out of pure spite!!!!

Miami Beach used to be a place where people went to die.

"I hope I'll be able to exercise the .45ACP option before I'd get to that point of an existence."

I hope I have that option before I get to that point also.
Posted by: thseng

Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/10/08 06:48 PM

I believe that God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things, and right now I am so far behind I will never die. - Calvin

I'm with St. Augustine: "Lord, make me a saint... but not just yet."
Posted by: Brangdon

Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/10/08 07:20 PM

I hope to die at a time of my own choosing.
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/10/08 07:54 PM

The failure of most theologies is the pondering of post mortality. I am still trying to understand how the world got by BEFORE I was born, and where I was before 1953.ROFLOL

Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/10/08 08:36 PM

I think I've seen every form of death imaginable. There are ways I know I don't want to die:

1. Burning to death, which is a bit odd as a number one pick for a professional firefighter. But I was burned once as a child, spent time with my mother in the burn ward when she had very life threatening burns, and have witnessed people trapped, alive, and burning to death.

2. Osteocarcinoma and certain other forms of cancer, which can be unimaginably painful.

3. In a hospital ICU, slowly.

4. Beaten, stabbed or otherwise tortured to death.

5. Suffocation, strangulation or drowning.

6. While doing something stupid. I don't suppose I'll be in a position to care then, but the thought of a humiliating death bothers me.

7. From an otherwise reversible or treatable condition due to lack of access to medical care, poor medical care, or medical error. It would just be so frustrating to me.

8. By legal execution for a crime I did not commit. (one of my secret paranoid fears is wrongful conviction)

Ways I wouldn't mind (too much) dying:

1. While successfully rescuing or saving another, especially a friend, family member or colleague.

2. On fairly short notice after a diagnosis of a fatal, but not too painful or debilitating disease, like some forms of brain cancer. I could say my good-bys and make my arrangements, without lingering on.

3. Unexpectedly, at home, in bed, asleep. But that would be tough on my wife. I've seen it many times.

4. Sudden, unexpected accident, provided I was rendered immediately dead or at least unconscious. Especially if it wasn't my fault, or at least where I've not harmed anyone else. One minute everything's fine, the next - poof, you're gone.

5. TMB Syndrome. (non-specific cause in advanced old age, just "Too Many Birthdays")

6. Anything after my wife goes, so the burden of widowhood falls on me, not her.

7. While out having fun, doing something I love, preferably in the wilderness, alone.

8. Shot by a jealous husband, at age 90.

Jeff
Posted by: Brangdon

Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/10/08 08:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
The failure of most theologies is the pondering of post mortality.
It's one of things which made me realise I wasn't Christian: I discovered I didn't believe their life-after-death story.

(I'm guessing for me to write much more about this would be off-topic and liable to get the thread locked.)

Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/10/08 09:26 PM

Originally Posted By: BigDaddyTX

I've seen both sides, and it's way better to have laughing people at your funeral than a sad bunch.

Amen. My Mom died in January. It was a long time in coming, since she was declared terminal on several different occasions beforehand. But she lived a full and rich life, and enjoyed it right up until her final heart attack and hospitalization.

She had hoped to die at home quietly, with me, and I had hoped she would pass peacefully in her sleep at my home, instead of in a hospital. But that was not to be. Instead, she staved off her death for more than a week, until her family could come come and visit from all over the country. She and I knew the truth without having to say it, but she put on a very brave front for their sake. She was even able to see her first great-grand daughter, since I was able to get her into the ICU against hospital rules (babies and young children are banned from most ICUs for the quite legitimate reasons that they are both notorious spreaders of infections dangerous to the critically ill and they are extra-susceptible to the dangerous contaminants unavoidably lurking in ICUs).

My wife, the greatest blessing of my life, practically lived in the hospital night and day, refusing to let my mother ever be alone. She did the same during my mother's other hospitalizations, and visited daily whenever she was in a nursing home for recovery. She basically left only when I or other family members could be there. She knew the score.

But when they all had good long visits and had to return home, she waited for me to visit her alone. Then she told me that it was time for her to go, and then died in peace, with me at her side, as she had wished. I believe she endured longer than she would have otherwise for her children's sake. She was kind like that, always putting others first. Her final act was to donate her tissue, to help others, such as burn victims like herself.

She asked to be cremated without ceremony, and to have her ashes scattered in the CA Redwoods. Because of our large family's busy schedules, it wasn't until August that we could all gather together to remember her and scatter her ashes.

This lapse of time turned out to be a very good thing. It allowed us to mourn her with our own families first, and when we all finally gathered together, we were able to celebrate her life and truly enjoy being together, instead of merely mourning together. It was a huge party of family and friends, able to be joyous and remember everything good, without the burden of immediacy of grief.

I would encourage anyone to consider delaying a memorial service for that reason.

Jeff
Posted by: dweste

Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/10/08 09:33 PM

Entirely morbid, but fascinating.

I suppose I hope to drift away to sleep somewhere on the water, happy after catching and releasing a few fish.
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/10/08 09:39 PM

My first thought is to go out like the guy I read about in the paper.

Story says that a woman walked into a police station, placed a 'large caliber handgun' on the desk and reported that she had killed her husband.

Seems he had insisted that she carry the gun for protection. Anyway she comes home early and finds him in bed, at maximum connubial percuspance, with two women. He was facing away from the door. The first he was aware of a problem was when some portion of his brain hit the wall in front of him. As I remember it she shot him in the back of the head and neck area three times. After which she turned herself in at the police station.

By the time the police arrived the two women had fled the scene.

At a superficial level it has a lot going for it. There is, of course, the implicit joke about coming and going. Not necessarily a great joke. Also good odds it was quick and painless. And he was doing something he loved.

It also makes for a very lively, if not necessarily an open-casket, wake and funeral. You can count that your death will be talked about for a great many years and turn you into something of a local celebrity. Granted a posthumous award and infamous way to go but for going out with memorable style and a bang it is high on the list.

On the other hand I really don't think I care if I go out in style and in a way that will go down in local history. And if I'm cheating on my wife I certainly don't want her to end up in jail if she ventilates me while I'm long stroking the alternates. If she plugs me I would prefer the police pat her on the back, wipe away her tears and give her a stern warning about discharging a firearm in city limits. That sounds more like justice to me. But that isn't how the law works.

In the end I think the best i can ask for is to die in a quick and painless manner with a minimum of mess. No broad gestures. No celebrity. No greater theme or message.

Brained by the boom during a ill timed jibe, knocked into the sea where I drown unconscious. Consumed by sharks and crabs the body never recovered. The boat found in good shape sailing on its own. As good a way to go as any I guess.

Being at ground-zero for a nuclear weapon and instantaneously vaporized would also be good. Even if it is dramatic.

Less assured to be quick and painless I was there when a 78 year old man died with his family around him. He played with his grand kids and felt tired. The kids were shuffled out and then with his family around he quietly died. More like drifting off to sleep really. The familial togetherness theme has a lot going for it. As long as it doesn't get too maudlin.

Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/10/08 09:53 PM

Originally Posted By: dweste
Entirely morbid, but fascinating.

Sorry. I had some dental work this morning. I don't handle drugs well. It seems to have made me verbose, maudlin and a bit morbid.

Jeff
Posted by: BillLiptak

Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/10/08 10:06 PM

Ironicly, I sit in the hospital watching my mother wane as I write this. She was admitted saturday for hemmraging from, well where woman normally bleed. She has been diagnosed with cancer of her endometrium (uterine cancer). Because of her diabetes and cardio/respatory disease she is not a candidate for surgery. Now all of this "shouldn't" be a concern, its still containable or treatable with localized treatment, but since she's been here she's lost all motor functions and is in constant and severe pain thru out her body. Doctors don't know what wrong and so far can't figure it out. I'm tired of telling my mom I can't shoot her to stop the pain.....
Sorry for being a downer guys, we are christan and death would be a welcomed release. Me and my brother have already signed the DNR paperwork. I hope to die fast and furious, not this lingering hell she is living thru.

-Bill Liptak
Posted by: ironraven

Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/10/08 10:11 PM

As a reincarnationalist, I look upon this topic as a grander version of, say, buying a new car or changing hair style. Say about on par with buying a house, or (if you'll forgive the pun) a farm.

Part of me wants to die at 120 from the actions of a jealous 30 year old husband.

Or maybe something memorable and honorable.

But honestly, I'm not exactly making an appointment.

As for what to do with the hardware once I've migrated the software... Cremate it, spread on the driveway in a slippery spot in winter.

Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/10/08 10:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
The failure of most theologies is the pondering of post mortality. I am still trying to understand how the world got by BEFORE I was born, and where I was before 1953.ROFLOL

Old saying: Cemeteries are full of "indispensable" men.

On a somewhat related note: Attorneys sometimes have faced requests from clients that their pets be put to sleep after their death, because the client doesn't think Fluffy of Fido could bear living after they are gone.

It's a bit awkward to explain that their beloved pet will do just fine without them.

Personally, I'm just a bit more concerned about where I'll be AFTER I die, rather than where I was before I was born. But that's a Christian thing.

Jeff

Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/10/08 10:17 PM

Originally Posted By: BillLiptak
Ironicly, I sit in the hospital watching my mother wane as I write this.

-Bill Liptak

My thoughts and prayers are with you, your Mom and your family. Feel free to contact my off-list if you need to talk, vent, pray, ask questions, or whatever.

Jeff

Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/10/08 10:43 PM

"...she shot him in the back of the head and neck area three times..."

Wow! Considering that the first shot was probably at a moving target, that is good grouping!!!

Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/10/08 10:46 PM

I am so sorry, and I too hope that the end comes quickly...

Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/10/08 10:48 PM

If I should ever decide to take myself out, and it is not a poor health thing, I'm gonna make the world a better place before I go. I have this list in my head, constantly changing of course, of some folks who are using air that good people need..
Posted by: samhain

Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/10/08 11:22 PM

Easy.

At the age of 120 in a scandalous nude skydiving accident (leave them scratching their heads).

And my girlfriend at the time so grief stricken that she has to sit out a year of college and move in with her parents....

Seriously,

How do I want to die?

I want to be lying down peacefully in the forest looking up at the trees at a very ripe old age.

How do I expect to die?

Unfortunately, experience has taught me that I will probably be in a hospital bed with needles in my arms, a tube down my throat and paralytics coursing through my veins to keep me from pulling my tube out.

Yes I have a living will, and my daughter at age 15 has known for a long time what DNR means and that I want it tattooed on my chest, but a lot of unpleasant things can happen on your way getting to the DNR-point.

I've got no control on how I die save making it a DIY job (not something I'm considering).

So I'm going to focus on how I live at this moment and let death worry about itself.

Good question though...

Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/10/08 11:26 PM

Originally Posted By: samhain
Yes I have a living will, and my daughter at age 15 has known for a long time what DNR means and that I want it tattooed on my chest, but a lot of unpleasant things can happen on your way getting to the DNR-point.

Just a quick reminder - DNRs are typically NOT effective outside of a hospital, such as when the paramedics come to you.

Jeff

Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/10/08 11:38 PM

Originally Posted By: wildman800

I can understand that and I feel that way at times myself.

I've just taken care of so many individuals that enriched my life (while I was changing their diapers) and taught me about grace, dignity, and compassion (and some pretty good dirty jokes) that I hope I'm able to give that to some new nurses/techs in my old age.

I've also taken care of some vicious SOB's that try my patience (oh! how they try my patience - -high speed lead therapy is a tempting treatment option)

I just hope when Alzheimer's gets me I'm entertaining and happy. People will check on me then. If I'm an old a$$hole, they'll just restrain me and close the door and I'll die alone and scared.

Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/10/08 11:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Jeff_McCann

Just a quick reminder - DNRs are typically NOT effective outside of a hospital, such as when the paramedics come to you.

Jeff

Understood, Jeff.

I know y'all will do everything in your power to revive me if y'all are called.

It's up to me to instruct/ re-instruct/ re-re-instruct my family on when it's time NOT to call EMS and just let me go... Or at least if they have to, do it slooowlly, and give me a head start...

Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/10/08 11:52 PM

I am so very sorry as well Bill.

I hope they are able to get her pain under control and that she doesn't suffer anymore.

You and your family are in my thoughts.

Posted by: comms

Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/10/08 11:52 PM

I recently had a 'check out' moment.

Long story short, while doing my 3rd Ironman triathlon in April I raced myself into kidney failure and liver failure. All the muscles in my legs and ribcage cramped up. My lungs and heart cramped up. During all this, I refused to stop racing and refused all treatment on the course. This lasted for about six hours. The only thought in my head was, "Finish, never quit."

Consequently I didn't finish and when I made it to the hospital they told my wife, I would probably be dead in five or six hours. It turns out I have a condition that I did not know about with my kidneys and this exertion put it over the line.

I don't know how or when I will check out. I am still in recovery and have a 20% of dying on any hard work out I do to this day(and this is four months later). This has obviously caused my wife, family and I to have some very pointed dialogue about what I do for fun.

I'd like to think I will live a long, life with lots of happiness and adventure with my wife and son, plus one on the way. If I don't I have a well stocked spiritual bank account.

Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/11/08 12:11 AM

Glad you made it. I'm supprised that the condition didn't make itself known while you were training...

Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/11/08 12:13 AM

"...nude skydiving accident..."

I happen to have an intersting photo of some nude skydivers, PM me with an e-mail address and I will send it to you...

Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/11/08 12:14 AM

They are not all that great in the hospital either, 'specially if the DNR is not on that particular hospitals form. Been there, done that...
Posted by: BlueSky

Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/11/08 12:25 AM

The how doesn't concern me so much.

I do hope that it comes after I'm able to raise my boys to adulthood, to be the kind of father I always wished I had. Plus some time for me and my wife to finally have some time together after they've moved into the world. That's what I'd prefer, since you ask.

Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/11/08 12:25 AM

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
They are not all that great in the hospital either, 'specially if the DNR is not on that particular hospitals form. Been there, done that...

That's one of my (many) beefs with how medical records are handled.

I get a lot of repeat patients and sometimes it's up to staff to remember "hey, Mr X was a DNR last time wasn't he?" and then you have to look up the old records (if you can find it in time because sometimes it's on a different id number or a misspelling of the name) to confirm that and then get the doc to write the order.

Meanwhile, the long estranged son or daughter shows up and demands that every heroic measure be taken to extend Mr X's life regardless what the rest of the family or Mr X wanted.

It's those folks I would like to force to stay in the room when we have to code Mr X. I want them to see what we have to do to their loved one ("you wanted it, now you gotta watch it buddy!).

Sorry for the rant, that's one of my sore spots...

Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/11/08 01:08 AM

Rant away, I could not agree with you more...

Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/11/08 01:25 AM

Rant away, I could not agree with you more...

Agreed. You don't even want to get me started . . .

Jeff
Posted by: LED

Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/11/08 02:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Blast
Not sure, but I hope it happens after I turn 110 and cheerleaders are involved. laugh

-Blast

Hell, I'd settle for a fair bit less than 110 if cheerleaders are involved. I can imagine friends saying, "well, at least he went doing something he loved." grin

How do I expect to checkout? Unexpectedly.

Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/11/08 02:16 AM

Meanwhile, the long estranged son or daughter shows up and demands that every heroic measure be taken to extend Mr X's life regardless what the rest of the family or Mr X wanted.

It's those folks I would like to force to stay in the room when we have to code Mr X. I want them to see what we have to do to their loved one ("you wanted it, now you gotta watch it buddy!).

That's a great idea! I think we've all seen more than enough of that.

I'm also just a bit tired of family members, who have apparently done nothing to help or even visit their deceased "loved one" while he or she was alive, greedily showing up and demanding their "share" of the decedent's estate, often before the body has had time to assume room temperature.

Add to the list family members dragging in their elderly parents, sometimes obviously too impaired to do so, into my office to get them to change their will, in their own favor, of course.

I'm also an advocate of ALLOWING families to witness resuscitation attempts if they want to.

Jeff
Posted by: Lono

Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/11/08 04:08 AM

Leave me on an ice floe. Death by polar bear. Face the beast.
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/11/08 04:55 AM

OBG you have forever altered my image of khaki and blue tied Chips with razor sharp starched pleats and heavy in leather riding herd on th SUV bovines of Highway 101 at 5 P.M.
Posted by: AROTC

Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/11/08 06:10 AM

Quote:
At the age of 120 in a scandalous nude skydiving accident (leave them scratching their heads).

And my girlfriend at the time so grief stricken that she has to sit out a year of college and move in with her parents....

That's pretty much what I've always thought. Well past the age where I care how many more years I have, at terminal velocity. I always thought a long fall like that would be fun...plus no funeral expenses.
Posted by: CAP613

Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/11/08 12:03 PM

I watched my mother pass of cancer then my dad 6 months later of an infection, I think he just did not want to live any more.

As for me I will go kicking and screaming when death comes to get me, I do not plan to go into the night quitly.

But at the same time I hope I have a chance to make a difference before I go and if I have to go to make the difference then so be it.

Posted by: Russ

Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/11/08 01:10 PM

It seems many of us have the same feelings about how and when, and also realize that some things are not in our control.

Quickly, doing something I enjoy is a predominant theme. Supposedly, years back a retired military guy was running the Marine Corps marathon and had a heart attack near the Washington Monument in DC. According to the story, he was dead before he hit the ground. That is almost ideal -- almost because I'd rather land on grass and that area is mostly asphalt. Exercise and stay in good shape; as I understand it an athlete's heart attack can be much more final.

Checking yourself out is cheating, you lose by default. Just take enough Viagra and keep going after your 4 hours are up cool

Cremate me when it's over too. I don't want some archeologist digging me up 1000 years from now and putting my bones on exhibit in some museum, I'd rather be eaten by sharks and let them spread me across the ocean.

Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/11/08 01:50 PM

Well, in my defense, I didn't take the pic, just happen to have it...

Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/11/08 02:59 PM

After saying "Hold my beer and watch this!"

Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/11/08 03:18 PM

Not that bad...
Posted by: comms

Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/11/08 05:10 PM

Glad you made it. I'm supprised that the condition didn't make itself known while you were training...

Ya know, OBG, it did. But the way my body processed my blood and adrenaline in training was different than in races, especially those that last 13-17 hours.

To go out and ride 100 miles or run 20 miles was affecting my body but we (me, wife, coach, team mates) thought it was general fatigue. I also was only training between 3-6 hours at a shot so the build up in my blood was not as much as in Ironmans.
Posted by: Ranter

Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/14/08 07:21 AM

I've told my friends 2 things about me dying for years. 1. When I check out there will either be a monument to me or trouble finding my body. Nothing in between laugh
2. Sure you can kill me, but can you trust me to stay dead?
I have a copy of a "motivational" poster with a rather attractive young lady in lingerie pointing 2 guns at the camera with the caption "My Death. This is how I picture it". I didn't think it would be appropriate to post it here but that's how I'd like to check out. Fast with nice scenery!

Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/15/08 04:17 PM

Originally Posted By: l33tYoDuh
YoDuh wants to go out with the charge nurse :-)

I'm flattered YoDuh (I'm a charge nurse), but I'm married and my gate don't swing that way... wink

Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/15/08 04:45 PM

Originally Posted By: l33tYoDuh
YoDuh wants to go out with the charge nurse :-)

I'm flattered YoDuh (I'm a charge nurse), but I'm married and my gate don't swing that way... wink

Touche
Posted by: mountainboy

Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? - 09/15/08 05:55 PM

dont want to but if had choice .cool rainy day laided up snugglen with a beautiful female well yall get the idea .just dont want to go before i raise my kids .