Soon to be new daddy here...

Posted by: Kris

Soon to be new daddy here... - 09/04/08 09:00 PM

Went to the doctor's office for the first pregency appointment (7-8 week mark), and just found out that we are having twins!

Dr. showed us baby 'a' (and at the moment i'm thinking, why would you call a single baby - baby 'a'??) then showed us baby 'b'!

Still in shock but damn proud! Is it normal to have a goofy look on your face when your expecting kids (yup, first timers here)?
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Soon to be new daddy here... - 09/04/08 11:40 PM

Congratulations Kris!!

Re: Soon to be new daddy here... - 09/04/08 11:44 PM

YoDuh,

I'm not much of a marksman, so i'll leave the rest up to your imagination!

Kris
Posted by: epirider

Re: Soon to be new daddy here... - 09/04/08 11:45 PM

Congrats! I hope all goes well.
Posted by: kd7fqd

Re: Soon to be new daddy here... - 09/04/08 11:53 PM

Kris, Congrats I was a twin and with my DW's family history, (3 sets) we were worried about us and we ended up with one each time (1 boy and 1 girl)

Thanks
Mike
Posted by: Blast

Re: Soon to be new daddy here... - 09/05/08 12:04 AM

Kris,

Congratulations!!! You have no idea how much fun you are going to have with the little ones. Plus, you get to buy a bunch more cool gear. laugh

-Blast

p.s. Remember to teach them how to throw stuff at things!
Posted by: BlueSky

Re: Soon to be new daddy here... - 09/05/08 12:05 AM

Congrats! Being a parent is wonderful. Hard work with big rewards.

Twins will keep you very busy at the beginning, but there will be a big benefit when they're old enough to play together. There are also twins in my family, but my wife and I had them one at a time.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Soon to be new daddy here... - 09/05/08 12:18 AM

Congratulations!!!
Posted by: BobS

Re: Soon to be new daddy here... - 09/05/08 01:24 AM

Congratulations!!! Kids really make life more enjoyable in so many ways.

Re: Soon to be new daddy here... - 09/05/08 02:25 AM

Thanks all!

Looking forward to buying all the cool new stuff, times 2!!!!

I'm also trying to convince my wife that I should be the soccer dad, but so far i'm loosing that battle. ;-)
Posted by: dweste

Re: Soon to be new daddy here... - 09/05/08 03:18 AM

Congrats!
Posted by: marduk

Re: Soon to be new daddy here... - 09/05/08 04:42 AM

Congratulations!
Posted by: Stokie

Re: Soon to be new daddy here... - 09/05/08 05:17 AM

Kris, Congratulation to you and your DW.

As others have said you're set for some fun times.

Get all the sleep you can now, the first few months pass by in a blur.

Re: Soon to be new daddy here... - 09/05/08 11:08 AM

Thanks... looking forward to all those fun times!
Posted by: KG2V

Re: Soon to be new daddy here... - 09/05/08 11:32 AM

Kris,
Congrats from here too.

One of the funniest things I ever saw was one of my wifes co-workers about 4 weeks after she had twins. We were invited over, and on one hand we had Dad, holding one baby, and Mom, holding/feeding the other. The second the baby Dad was holding started to fuss, the babies were swapped.
Posted by: thseng

Re: Soon to be new daddy here... - 09/05/08 12:35 PM

Congrats! Someone gave us a fridge magnet that says

"Discover Wildlife: Have Children"

Re: Soon to be new daddy here... - 09/05/08 07:09 PM

Originally Posted By: kc2ixe
Kris,
One of the funniest things I ever saw was one of my wifes co-workers about 4 weeks after she had twins. We were invited over, and on one hand we had Dad, holding one baby, and Mom, holding/feeding the other. The second the baby Dad was holding started to fuss, the babies were swapped.

I don't doubt this will happen!!!!!

Re: Soon to be new daddy here... - 09/05/08 07:10 PM

Again, thanks all.

I guess I should start up a thread and find out what you guys put in your diaper bags!
Posted by: CJK

Re: Soon to be new daddy here... - 09/06/08 04:04 PM

Congradulations!!!! Good luck, G_d speed and say goodbye to any thoughts you had of ever getting sleep again. LOL
Posted by: Dan_McI

Re: Soon to be new daddy here... - 09/06/08 04:57 PM

Congratulations and Good Luck!!

Posted by: Angel

Re: Soon to be new daddy here... - 09/06/08 05:17 PM

Congrats on the babies, you'll know what true happiness is when they arrive.
I'm in the process of putting together a baby emergency kit. I'm using a sterilite tub from walmart. The first layer will be 2 of the thicker blankets then 3 recieving blankets. Then I plan to put 3 bags in and fill one with 1 pkg. disposable diapers, 1 doz cloth diapers, safety pins, plastic pants, diaper rash cream, some baby wipes, a few wash cloths and 4 changes of clothes. In another bag i'll put 2 cans of powdered formula, a few boxes of dry cereal and several jars of baby food. In the other bag i'll put things like bottles a bottle brush, extra nipples,small stainless steel bowl, medical supplies and anything else I can think of that may be needed. In a pinch, the tub can be used as a bassinet. Any other ideas?

Re: Soon to be new daddy here... - 09/06/08 06:22 PM

Angel,

Not a bad idea.

Right now i'm still in shock over twins! But i'm starting to think what we need and what will work, etc.

Looking for daddy's new diaper bag! Which Maxpedition did something. Their MPB bag isn't too bad.

Kris
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: Soon to be new daddy here... - 09/08/08 02:52 AM

Congratulations Kris,

Welcome to a whole new world!

Mike

Re: Soon to be new daddy here... - 09/08/08 02:26 PM

Thanks SwampDonkey...

Looking forward to it, but now trying to get the wife through morning sickness. The twins are really taking it out on her. Shes on medication to keep it down to minimum but still gets sick.

I guess kids start to beat up on ya before they are even here, eh!!!!
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Soon to be new daddy here... - 09/08/08 03:59 PM

Yup. Then come the oh dark thirty feedings and diaper changes...
Posted by: GameOver

Re: Soon to be new daddy here... - 09/08/08 06:42 PM

Kris,

I'm father of a set of twins myself, we've all survived 5 years so far together. They're great, they always like having a ready made playmate whenever they need one. I look back and it is already hard to remember all the infant care stuff that seemed so major when they were born (diapers, feeding, etc.).

My dad still calls them "Baby A" and "Baby B", just to mess with them.

Best of luck to you both. Cope with the hard times, enjoy the fun times, and look forward to the future.

Re: Soon to be new daddy here... - 09/08/08 08:35 PM

Thanks Mike!

Posted by: GameOver

Re: Soon to be new daddy here... - 09/09/08 12:19 AM

Oh, and check manufacturers (pampers, similac, graco, etc) for special offers for parents of twins. Often you can get special offers, coupons, etc. Now, this may be at the expense of getting on their mailing list, but some of the offers can be pretty decent. Not sure how well this will work for you in your neck of the woods, but worth checking.

Re: Soon to be new daddy here... - 09/09/08 12:19 AM

Oh, I almost forgot an important piece of advice. Don't be afraid to stand up to the nipple-nazis. These are the nurses who think breastfeeding is a precise, regimented science and will have a new mother in tears because the baby isn't "on right" or she forgot to switch sides or the baby fell asleep while eating or is "just snacking". Relax and do what comes naturally. Mother and baby(s) know what to do.
Posted by: nursemike

Re: Soon to be new daddy here... - 09/09/08 12:53 AM

Originally Posted By: thseng
These are the nurses who think breastfeeding is a precise, regimented science...

Absolutely true. As a student nurse, I got assigned to the rooming-in suite. It was me (at age 24), mom and the baby, and the plan was for me to teach breast-feeding. Mom's first baby, so she hadn't a clue. I had read the book, but had no experience that I could recall. Disaster loomed, but the baby knew just what to do. In later years, terrified moms would bring babies to teh ER cuz it was midnight and the baby kept dozing off instead of nursing. Usually solved with a bottle of glucose water or pedialyte. And however bad it gets, in those first few months, take comfort in knowing that, when they reach 13 years of age...it will be worse...

Re: Soon to be new daddy here... - 09/09/08 11:53 AM

Originally Posted By: nursemike
Originally Posted By: thseng
These are the nurses who think breastfeeding is a precise, regimented science...

Absolutely true. As a student nurse, I got assigned to the rooming-in suite. It was me (at age 24), mom and the baby, and the plan was for me to teach breast-feeding. Mom's first baby, so she hadn't a clue. I had read the book, but had no experience that I could recall. Disaster loomed, but the baby knew just what to do. In later years, terrified moms would bring babies to teh ER cuz it was midnight and the baby kept dozing off instead of nursing. Usually solved with a bottle of glucose water or pedialyte. And however bad it gets, in those first few months, take comfort in knowing that, when they reach 13 years of age...it will be worse...

Amazing you guys mentioned this. A friend of mine just had a baby up in the states, maybe 2 months ago. The Lactation Nurses (or Consultants, can't remember proper title) - yes pural - basically made her feel like a pile of do-do. Kept at her telling her everything she was doing was wrong, yelled at her, wouldn't let the baby have any formula at all (mom's milk wasn't coming through), etc. The baby was just hungry, thats why she was crying all the time. Finally after day 2 or 3 (forget exact details), went to another doctor and they mentioned to use this newborn formula. Supplement with breast milk when you can, etc... Baby was fine after that. The new doctor was pleasant and very informative. Sometimes bedside manner goes a long way.

Posted by: Eugene

Re: Soon to be new daddy here... - 09/09/08 12:33 PM

We had the same issue, lactation consultant grabbed my wife's breast ans shoved in the baby's mouth which neither liked very well.

Re: Soon to be new daddy here... - 09/09/08 12:54 PM

Yup, the first job of a new dad is to put the nursing nazis in their place.

Perhaps you'll get a good one who is a teacher rather than one who washed out of Marine drill instructor school for being too agressive.

But if its the latter... "Aus! Aus! Schnell! Back to zee baracks, Schnell!"

Seriously, breastfeeding is great, its best for the baby(s), natural and very convenient. But its not a religion. Ask for help and ask questions but don't let them push her around.

Nurse: "Would you like to try feeding him now?"
DW: "Yes."
Nurse: "Is this your first baby?"
DW: "Fifth."
Nurse: "Oh, uh... I'll just be down the hall if you need me..."
Posted by: BillLiptak

Re: Soon to be new daddy here... - 09/09/08 01:19 PM

I'm a little late jumping on the bandwagon here but.....
CON-GRAT-U-LATIONS!!!!!!!!
Wish you, the misses and the wee ones much luck and good health.

-Bill Liptak

Re: Soon to be new daddy here... - 09/11/08 05:52 PM

Thanks!!!!
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: Soon to be new daddy here... - 09/12/08 01:17 PM

Good advise thseng,

We also had difficulty with nursing "experts" with our first child, it really stressed my wife out, at a time when she was most vulnerable.

After the babies are born closely monitor the new mother for "the baby blues", my wife had a serious case that developed into a postpartum depression. I understand that this is more understood and openly discussed now. In my wifes situation professional help was very beneficial and solved this problem quickly. It reappeared after each of our kids were born (3 total) but never as bad as the first time as we were able to identify what was going on and address it quickly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postpartum_depression

Good Luck and Congradulations again.

Mike

Re: Soon to be new daddy here... - 09/12/08 04:22 PM

Thanks again Mike.... Never thought of PPD.
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: Soon to be new daddy here... - 09/13/08 02:36 PM

I will only use two words to offer "help"...Bag Balm (human version, of course)...

My poor DW took a beating with one child; can't imagine two. It really helped a bunch. So much for two words.

The fun starts at the delivery. What an awesome experience. Watching new life begin will change yours forever.

Have fun and welcome to the parenting fray.

Congratulations my friend.

Re: Soon to be new daddy here... - 09/14/08 02:48 PM

Bag Balm (http://www.bagbalm.com/)? I google'd it and came up with stuff for animals... From what i can gather its for cuts and scratches...

Posted by: Angel

Re: Soon to be new daddy here... - 09/14/08 04:12 PM

I know this sounds silly but my daughters Dr reccommended Udder Butter.
Posted by: RobertRogers

Re: Soon to be new daddy here... - 09/16/08 10:21 AM

New daddy? How the heck did that happen?