Any 'Heroes' fans here?

Posted by: CityBoyGoneCountry

Any 'Heroes' fans here? - 09/03/08 12:51 AM

I don't usually watch TV dramas. I think most of them are stupid, especially all the cop dramas, hospital dramas, and the absolute worst of them all... court dramas.

But I tell you what, Heroes is something special. The first season was just incredible. The second season got kinda goofy, but I stuck it out and was satisfied with the way Hiro Nakamura dealt with Takezo Kensei, a.k.a. Adam, at the end of the season. (Sucks to be you, Adam!)

The two-hour premier of season three will be on September 22. Am I the only one here who will be watching it?
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: Any 'Heroes' fans here? - 09/03/08 01:00 AM

I really liked the first two seasons of Heroes, but in the last few years I've grown tired of waiting for shows due to their absurdly long hiatuses and short run seasons.

I can't tell if I'll keep up with Heroes anymore. I might get fired up again after the first episode airs later this month. I'll have to wait and see.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Any 'Heroes' fans here? - 09/03/08 01:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Nicodemus
absurdly long hiatuses and short run seasons.

A SciFi channel watcher, I see *laughs*
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Any 'Heroes' fans here? - 09/03/08 01:32 AM

Is it on ABC, NBC, or Fox? That is all we get here, and only Fox is clear. Most of the time...
Posted by: BobS

Re: Any 'Heroes' fans here? - 09/03/08 02:14 AM

Originally Posted By: CityBoyGoneCountry
I don't usually watch TV dramas. I think most of them are stupid, especially all the cop dramas, hospital dramas, and the absolute worst of them all... court dramas.

The worst TV shows have to be all the reality shows.

Reruns of Lawrence Welk (sp?) on PBS has to come in second.
Posted by: Todd W

Re: Any 'Heroes' fans here? - 09/03/08 02:55 AM

I started watching... loved it, figured I'd wait and get the DVDs same thing for a couple other series. I can't schedule my life around when a TV show is on and I HATE commercials.
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: Any 'Heroes' fans here? - 09/03/08 03:30 AM

Originally Posted By: ironraven
A SciFi channel watcher, I see *laughs*

Ugh... Battlestar has vexed me to no end. LOL
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Any 'Heroes' fans here? - 09/03/08 04:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Nicodemus
I really liked the first two seasons of Heroes, but in the last few years I've grown tired of waiting for shows due to their absurdly long hiatuses and short run seasons.

I heard good things about it and caught what seemed like the fourth or fifth show in the first season. Then, as I remember it they moved the show so I missed a couple. I saw one more and then they had some sort of mid-season reruns where I kept seeing only the ones I had already seen. Then there was something like two months of seasonal specials or some other rot. A few shows got thrown in at seeming random intervals to keep interest up and then about nine months of nothing but an occasional advert.

By the time the second season rolled around I had just about forgotten about it. Besides the plot line broke the stories up so much and the broadcast season was so fractured and the breaks so long I never could tell you who was who or what was going on.

Seemed like an interesting story that would have worked and gained my interest if they had just picked a time and stuck with it for a reasonable number of episodes.

These sorts of shows are essentially soap operas. Never much like the standard soap operas but they keep the exact same schedule and fill it with new shows day after day for years. I know a few ladies who are addicted to their soaps and every weekday at the same time they drop what they are doing and watch. And have done so for decades. What they lack in originality, acting, and scripts they make up in consistency.

The first weekly I really liked was 'Hill Street Blues'. A fine show with credible stories and deep characters. 'The Shield' is another one. A dark one. Recently I got into 'Dexter'. Another dark one.

Dexter brings an interesting perspective. A law and order crime show from the perspective of a well mannered sociopath and serial killer that has used his talents to help clean up evil in Miami in his own special way.

Re: Any 'Heroes' fans here? - 09/03/08 10:45 AM

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
Is it on ABC, NBC, or Fox? That is all we get here, and only Fox is clear. Most of the time...

NBC. The story is constantly evolving, though. It would be difficult for anyone to understand what's going on without having seen the first 2 seasons. Fortunately, the first 2 seasons can be rented on DVD.

Re: Any 'Heroes' fans here? - 09/03/08 01:00 PM

Oh well, back to the five seasons of NCIS we have on DVD...
Posted by: LeeG

Re: Any 'Heroes' fans here? - 09/03/08 04:23 PM

I enjoy some TV but I really can't stand commercials or scheduling my life around a show. About two years ago, my wife and I bought a Tivo DVR and I would count it as one of the best entertainment related purchases ever.

You just pick what shows you want, and whether to record only first run, or everything, and that's it. It downloads programming and records the shows. It has dual tuners so can record two different stations at once.

As to OP, I've not gotten into that show yet, but perhaps I'll rent the DVD's and see what it is all about.
Posted by: RayW

Re: Any 'Heroes' fans here? - 09/03/08 09:39 PM

Hulu is adding Heros to it's collection,

http://www.hulu.com/heroes

And it is free to watch with limited commercials, saves time and can be watched anytime. Browse around while you are there, lots of tv shows and movies to watch.

Re: Any 'Heroes' fans here? - 09/03/08 11:14 PM

Originally Posted By: RayW
Hulu is adding Heros to it's collection,

http://www.hulu.com/heroes

And it is free to watch with limited commercials, saves time and can be watched anytime. Browse around while you are there, lots of tv shows and movies to watch.

That's cool. I wish they had more than 5 episodes.
Posted by: Todd W

Re: Any 'Heroes' fans here? - 09/04/08 04:22 AM

I'd much rather buy the dvds and watch it like amovie all th eway laugh
Posted by: BobS

Re: Any 'Heroes' fans here? - 09/04/08 05:00 AM

I love watching TV shows on DVDs, when commercial time comes, it’s just a blink of the screen and it’s back to the show.

Lets hope they don’t come up with the idea of putting some kind of advertising in the slots on a DVD where the commercials would have been. It would not surprise me if this comes to pass.

Re: Any 'Heroes' fans here? - 09/04/08 02:21 PM

I saw a couple of seasons at Costco yesterday...