Coleman RAM-X 15 canoe

Posted by: JohnE

Coleman RAM-X 15 canoe - 09/03/08 12:16 AM

Got a chance to pick one of these up with a set of paddles for what seems like a very good price. I know it's no Old Town but for paddling around a lake and doing some casual fishing with my 14 yr. old son, whatta you folks think?

When I say a good price, I'm talking under $200 with the paddles.

John E
Posted by: BobS

Re: Coleman RAM-X 15 canoe - 09/03/08 02:07 AM

As long as it handles the weight of you, your son and whatever gear you need, go for it & have fun.

Re: Coleman RAM-X 15 canoe - 09/03/08 02:09 AM

Are you saying I'm overweight...?

Man, just cause I need to lose a couple of pounds...;^)

Just waiting for the seller to get back to me.

John E

Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Coleman RAM-X 15 canoe - 09/03/08 02:39 AM

A $200 boat that floats can be a lot of fun. More fun on a river, though, where gravity does some of the work.

I've paddled a number of Colemans over the years, and had loads of fun in them. From a technical point of view, no great expectations: they are what they are. A tough little bathtub.

Hull speed? Never heard of it. Secondary stability? That's what life jackets are for.

But you know, even when we get a Clipper (DW is a canoe snob) I'd still pick up a $200 Coleman for fun. Duct tape a whole lot of 'D' model rocket engines to it and hit the switch at night. Nephews would think that was really cool. J-stroke is passe.

Posted by: jshannon

Re: Coleman RAM-X 15 canoe - 09/03/08 03:05 AM

Some reviews at this link...

http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/showReviews.html?prod=212
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: Coleman RAM-X 15 canoe - 09/03/08 01:24 PM

excellent deal! enjoy your boat
Posted by: dweste

Re: Coleman RAM-X 15 canoe - 09/03/08 03:21 PM

See if you can try out some other canoes, rowboats, etc. An inexpensive boat is that way for reasons that you will experience every time you use it. You might find spending $200 to build a simple rowboat would provide more room, stability, and fun than this canoe.

Whatever you do, have great time with the kids and keep everyone in pfd's.

Re: Coleman RAM-X 15 canoe - 09/03/08 04:54 PM

Thanks everyone, I can't get the seller to return my messages so it might all be a moot point anyway.

The canoe's asking price with the paddles was $150, I don't think I could buy or build anything for that much money that would be much better, plus it has to fit on the roof of my car. I have looked into building a canoe but remodeling the workshop is ahead of that on the long list of future plans.

Hoping to hear from the seller today...

John E
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: Coleman RAM-X 15 canoe - 09/03/08 10:45 PM

Hi John,

I have had a green Coleman Ram-X 15ft canoe for years and have had a huge amount of fun with it. I camo spray painted it and have subjected it to a huge amount of abuse, it just plain works. It is not lightweight and does not paddle like a high-end canoe, but for the rough trips I take it has worked just fine. I rigged a set of door hinges to a 2x4 to act as a small motor side-mount and often push the canoe along with a 2hp motor. I moose hunt with it every year and it has moved tons of meat for me and my group.

For $200 just buy it, I have had a lot of fun with mine.

I have heard it is difficult to patch one of these "plastic" canoes; I do not know, mine has always bounced back from impacts? I guess you could burn or wear a hole through the plastic?

Good Luck,

Mike