Man catches record fish with Barbie fishing pole

Posted by: CityBoyGoneCountry

Man catches record fish with Barbie fishing pole - 08/22/08 11:56 AM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080821/ap_on_fe_st/odd_barbie_fishing_record

I wish I could have been there to see that.
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: Man catches record fish with Barbie fishing po - 08/22/08 12:40 PM

Cool Beans! laugh
Posted by: GameOver

Re: Man catches record fish with Barbie fishing po - 08/22/08 02:00 PM

I have 4 of those Barbie fishing rods. All 4 girls fishing at the same time and never caught one of those fish. Probably a good thing as that fish would scare the heck out of the kids.
Posted by: Angel

Re: Man catches record fish with Barbie fishing po - 08/22/08 02:56 PM

I love to see people taking the time to take kids fishing. Yesterday I took my dad fishing,he's 81, he loves to help kids learn to fish. We always go to a little fishing bridge where there is usually the same people and they bring their kids, always a family atmosphere. Yesterday a boy about 12 got to talking with my dad about how much he would love to learn to fish but that his dad didn't have but one rod and reel so he usually just used a stick with a line and hook attached and never really caught anything. My dad almost always carries an extra rod and reel that he gives away. He spends time with the kids and teaches them to fish and will let them use his extra rod and reel. When we get ready to leave he will just let them keep the rod. He has so much fun and the look on the face on the kids when he gives them their very own rod just makes my day. Yesterdays little kid, with my dads help, caught 6 crappie and a couple of small bass, he was so proud of himself, he caught dinner. I gave him one of my extra multi tools so now he's set up and totally hooked on fishing.
Posted by: comms

Re: Man catches record fish with Barbie fishing po - 08/22/08 03:34 PM

That is just Classic. I just bought a Cabela rod. Walked right past those Barbies in the store.

Next time, next time I'm grabbing one of those Scooby Doo rods. Save me about $200.
Posted by: BobS

Re: Man catches record fish with Barbie fishing po - 08/22/08 04:48 PM

I would love to go fishing with Barbie Benton….

And I don’t like fish.
Posted by: Stu

Re: Man catches record fish with Barbie fishing po - 08/22/08 06:26 PM

Originally Posted By: BobS
I would love to go fishing with Barbie Benton….

And I don’t like fish.

Oh yea.
Posted by: Air_Pirate

Re: Man catches record fish with Barbie fishing po - 08/22/08 09:49 PM

I don't mean to talk bad about the guy, but my step-son's father is a loser, so I took the little man fishing for his first time a few weeks ago and he caught a tiny little catfish. He was so happy, you'd have thought he'd hooked into Jaws with Robert Shaw cheering him on! Kids will be embarassed to hang out with there parents before they know it, so I LOVE taking any chance I get to hang out with my daughter and step-son.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Man catches record fish with Barbie fishing po - 08/22/08 11:11 PM

I know that feeling. Couple of years ago we took our number one grandson, then about six, fishing for the first time. He picked up casting with his little BatMan rod super fast, and when he caught his first little five inch bluegill the grin was blinding...
Posted by: Grouch

Re: Man catches record fish with Barbie fishing po - 08/22/08 11:32 PM

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
He picked up casting with his little BatMan rod super fast, and when he caught his first little five inch bluegill the grin was blinding...

There's nothing that compares to the bond and joy that can develop when a grandfather and grandson go fishin'. One of my grandfathers took me fishing while I was very young (4-5) and I remember it like it was yesterday. He passed away when I was 7 years old and our fishing together is the strongest memory I have of him some 45 years later, even though I was at his side when he took his last breath.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Man catches record fish with Barbie fishing po - 08/22/08 11:36 PM

You're lucky. I only met one of my grandfathers, he died when I was three. Only thing I remember was seeing him in the casket...
Posted by: Grouch

Re: Man catches record fish with Barbie fishing po - 08/22/08 11:58 PM

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
You're lucky. I only met one of my grandfathers, he died when I was three. Only thing I remember was seeing him in the casket...

Sad, but now you get to have the experience on this end. I have no grandkids. Life is littered with tradeoffs. smile
Posted by: samhain

Re: Man catches record fish with Barbie fishing pole - 08/22/08 11:58 PM

Sweet Mother!!

Good thing Grampa had a hold of the rod when the fish hit.

Looking at the size of the fish compared to the child, it coulda been the other way around

"Local fish makes good, catches record human!"

Posted by: Air_Pirate

Re: Man catches record fish with Barbie fishing pole - 08/23/08 02:04 AM

Originally Posted By: samhain

"Local fish makes good, catches record human!"

Now that's funny!