Proud Dad moment

Posted by: KG2V

Proud Dad moment - 08/16/08 04:12 AM

Friday afternoon (about 12 hours ago), I got to pick my daughter up from her 5 day summer camp. It was out on Shelter Island NY. It seems the camp had a new activity this year - sailing. Only small day sailers, but...

Well, it seems my Daughter was out for the first time with the instructor, and one other camper, on what turned out to be the 2nd windiest day in of the summer

The ALMOST capsized, but Anna kept her head (mind you 1st time out), and followed what she had been taught, and let out on the jib, and helped prevent them from going over. She got a real nice letter for the instructor, and an invite to go out with 1-2 of the other kids on his personal boat BEFORE camp next year, to try and get her to the point she can help instructing

How cool is that?

Anna said "I may have looked cool, but I was scared inside". My reply was that bravery is not the absence of fear, but doing what you need to do in the presence of fear
Posted by: dweste

Re: Proud Dad moment - 08/16/08 04:35 AM

Sweet!
Posted by: Blast

Re: Proud Dad moment - 08/16/08 12:44 PM

Wow, excellent! You've done a great job!

-Blast
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Proud Dad moment - 08/16/08 01:28 PM

Kids can indeed make you proud from time to time...
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: Proud Dad moment - 08/16/08 01:46 PM

Awesome.
Posted by: Kris

Re: Proud Dad moment - 08/16/08 02:33 PM

Very cool...

Next she'll teach you how to sharpen your knifes!!!!

Re: Proud Dad moment - 08/16/08 03:52 PM

Sailing I know in THEORY, but not in practice (I've never had the chance) but I have sailed model sailboats. She can teach me

As for sharpening knives, THAT I know. I still remember one very good frend asking me to borrow a knife, as I handed it to him (type of friend that if he wants my knife, my car, my truck - anything, he can have it), my other friend who was with us (of the same caliber) looks at him and says "John, be carefule with that, if Charlie says the knife is SHARP, it's REALLY sharp" (hint, if I can't shave efortlessly with it, it's anywhere from "it's slightly sharp" (if it'll still shave) to "dull"
Posted by: kd7fqd

Re: Proud Dad moment - 08/16/08 03:59 PM

My DD always surprises me too, tell Anna WAY to go
Posted by: Todd W

Re: Proud Dad moment - 08/16/08 05:39 PM

Awesome smile Good for her.
Posted by: nurit

Re: Proud Dad moment - 08/16/08 10:24 PM

Hurrah for Anna!

And what you said to her about bravery ... right on the mark!

Nurit
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Proud Dad moment - 08/16/08 11:07 PM

Congratulations to you and to Anna.

Now she knows that she can keep her cool and act positively while under duress. That will always be an Ace up her sleeve!!

Re: Proud Dad moment - 08/17/08 03:55 AM

yeah, keeping your cool while the little animal brain in the back of your head is going "aaaaaahhhhhhhhh" is a big asset.

She's starting to get it. She's still a typical Tween a lot of the time, giving us sass, and not wanting to do homework or chores, but other times, she just makes me smile and say "that's my girl"
Posted by: DaveT

Re: Proud Dad moment - 08/17/08 11:48 AM

Congratulations Charlie...always great to get one of those moments.

Dave
Posted by: KenK

Re: Proud Dad moment - 08/17/08 02:32 PM

Yeah, I know that feeling.

My son has a mild form of autism that makes him very sensitive to sensory issues and unwilling to, well, go outside the "usual".

Three weeks back at Boy Scout summer camp, at the request of his only real friend in the troop (another autism thing), my son did the Wilderness Survival merit badge, including spending a night by himself in a shelter that he built with nothing but a knife, two matches, a poncho, and the clothes on his back. Cool.

Re: Proud Dad moment - 08/17/08 09:46 PM

Originally Posted By: KenK
Yeah, I know that feeling.

My son has a mild form of autism that makes him very sensitive to sensory issues and unwilling to, well, go outside the "usual".

Three weeks back at Boy Scout summer camp, at the request of his only real friend in the troop (another autism thing), my son did the Wilderness Survival merit badge, including spending a night by himself in a shelter that he built with nothing but a knife, two matches, a poncho, and the clothes on his back. Cool.

VERY VERY cool - Beats Anna by a mile. I have 2 friends in my life that I would trust with anything. They are "Brothers by choice" (we are each only children, and are real close). One of them (won't use name here, but) has a son with moderate Autism, and has the usual sensory problems, so I have some clue as to what you experienced there. Last time I was at his house, his son saw a cloud or 2 in the sky. The son has serious problems with Thunderstorms, and he refused to leave the house (they were not thunderstom clouds - just nice puffy cumulis clouds). Took about 2 hours to talk him into going outside, but we did eventually
Posted by: KenK

Re: Proud Dad moment - 08/18/08 01:08 AM

That's funny. My son does the very same thing. Any hint of weather issues on TV or from the weather radio will bring my son into the family room asking me to look on the internet and TV for details. He'll worry constantly until I find something that can reassure him that things are OK. It started with severe weather training at school and blossomed from there.

Kids with autism are real treasures, so long as us less "gifted" people have some patience and understanding to do our best to see things from their perspective. There are days when I'm stupid and think there is something wrong with my son. Then there are the other days when I realize that he is sooo gifted in many areas - that maybe he's the next step in our evolution (in a way).

I'm one very proud pappa.
Posted by: comms

Re: Proud Dad moment - 08/18/08 03:32 AM

it is moments like that which includes an emotional attachment that will stick to her for the rest of her life