Feeling stupid, need help.

Posted by: Ade

Feeling stupid, need help. - 07/31/02 12:01 AM

Hello all,<br><br>I just bought an 86 Suburban. Love the vehicle. I can't find the jack or lug wrench. This would not be a problem (I'd just replace them) except that I cannot even find where they should be. Does anyone know?<br><br>Thanks and take care,<br><br>Andy
Posted by: AyersTG

Re: Feeling stupid, need help. - 07/31/02 02:14 AM

Andy,<br><br>Dunno, but some places to check: Behind the panel in the corner near the rear door (passenger side); under the hood; under the third seat. Of course, now you have room to stow some pioneer tools and a 48" Hi-Lift jack...<br><br>Tom

Re: Feeling stupid, need help. - 07/31/02 02:56 AM

Tom,<br><br><br>I had checked all of those places. No jack, no lug wrench. My Dad says that Chevy was famous for bundling all of the tools together with a metal plate on the spare during those model years, so probably what happened is they're just gone. I have a Hi-lift jack, a 10 ton hydralic jack and a cross lug wrench, so no problem there. I was just going nuts trying to figure out where in the heck the factory tools SHOULD have been. Thanks for the suggestions, though.<br><br>As for the pioneer tools and Hi-lift, he-he, he-he....I'm having fun trying to figure out what all I'm going to store in the back. I'm not used to having so much room. My wife says that the Suburban is my attempt to compensate for having a small....er, having a history of owning smaller cars smile <br><br>Take care,<br><br>Andy
Posted by: johnbaker

Re: Feeling stupid, need help. - 07/31/02 06:19 AM

Andy, again I can't help you: you've already checked the places I thought of; anyway, we're Ford & Toyota people.<br><br>Tom, what did you have in mind re pioneer tools?<br><br>Besides mechanical/vehicular/camping tools & supplies, we have the following in the rear of our camper shell covered PU:<br><br>HiLift jack<br>Come along<br>Additional hand winch<br>Tow strap<br>Tow cables<br>Ample rope <br>2x6, 4' long, #2<br>C Clamps<br>Small vise<br>Ax<br>Hatchet<br>Saw<br>Shovel (long handled)<br>Mattock<br>GI shovel (WW II design)<br><br>John<br><br>
Posted by: AyersTG

Re: Feeling stupid, need help. - 07/31/02 01:19 PM

You have what I had in mind covered. To me, a minimum set of vehicle pioneer tools include axe, saw, shovel, and pick-mattock. Andy knows where my paradigm comes from...
Posted by: billvann

Re: Feeling stupid, need help. - 07/31/02 02:03 PM

I doubt this will help, but mine (Montero) are stashed under the rear seat. A piece of the carpet pulls back to expose a small door that opens into a small compartment.
Posted by: inkslngr

Re: Feeling stupid, need help. - 07/31/02 07:39 PM

Under the hood on top of the passenger side inner fender.

Re: Feeling stupid, need help. - 07/31/02 09:12 PM

Tom,<br><br>Yeah, I do. In fact we just inventoried four pioneer boxes last drill. I got yelled at when I started sharpening and oiling the tools ("What are you doing?! We don't do that here, and even if we did, we don't have time for that! The race is on, do you want me to miss it?"). I'm definately getting out of the KY Guard.<br><br>Take care,<br><br>Andy

Re: Feeling stupid, need help. - 07/31/02 09:14 PM

Bill,<br><br>Thanks, but I already checked there. The things must just be gone.<br><br>Take care,<br><br>Andy

Re: Feeling stupid, need help. - 07/31/02 09:18 PM

Ink,<br><br>Nope. But thanks for trying.<br><br>Take care,<br><br>Andy
Posted by: Comanche7

Re: Feeling stupid, need help. - 07/31/02 10:23 PM

Hi Andy,<br><br>Try looking under the rear end, betwen the rear axle and rear bumper. <br><br>Hope it helps.<br>Comanche7
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Feeling stupid, need help. - 07/31/02 11:14 PM

I have to agree on the hi-lift jack. If you are going to buy one anyway, you might as well get one that will work from the bottom of a ditch.

Re: Feeling stupid, need help. - 08/01/02 01:54 AM

Comanche,<br><br>Nope. Thanks for trying though.<br><br>Take care,<br><br>Andy<br><br>

Re: Feeling stupid, need help. - 08/05/02 11:28 PM

Andy,<br><br>Another variation of a theme . . . noticed that the Grand Cherokees have a middle bench seat, sort of a 60/40 divided bench . . . by looking at it, I never would have expected to find the lugwrench and jack under the bench. Sure can't tell it from a casual look see.<br><br>The trick is that these seats have a heavy duty nylon loop that hides just inside the crack where the back of the seat bench joins with the seat back. (yeah, the crack where the seat belts keep getting lost ;>) )<br><br>Anyway when the loop pulled up, over center, then down and forward, the seat bench actually folds down into the foot pan in front of the bench and, viola' there is a small compartment under the seat portion that contains the goodies. <br><br>Could this work for you?<br><br>>smile> Failing this, I suppose that one could always go to www.google.com and search for Suburbans & related websites. <br><br>Comanche7

Re: Feeling stupid, need help. - 08/06/02 02:35 AM

Comanche,<br><br>I checked and....nope, not there. Thanks, though.<br><br>I've spent a lot of time in and around (and under) my suburban lately; if the lug wrench and jack are in it, they're hidden so well that Steven Jay Gould and a team of crack diggers/mechanics couldn't find it.<br><br>As I've said, I have a cross-type lug wrench, a high lift jack and a bottle jack in the truck. It's not that I'm hurting for the means to change a tire. I'm just curious as to where the tools would be if they were still with the truck.<br><br>Thanks again and take care,<br><br>Andy

Re: Feeling stupid, need help. - 08/06/02 02:59 AM

Andy,<br><br>Check out this site for Surburban info. <br>http://forums.vmag.com/suvsuburban0300<br><br>If this does not help, at least it should be interesting reading. I poked around a bit, there are many threads covering a wide variety of Surburban related Q & A. Have a big cup of coffee before you call it up as it is a big forum. >Chuckle<<br><br>Enjoy,<br>Comanche7

Re: Feeling stupid, need help. - 08/06/02 03:19 AM

Comanche,<br><br>The URL did not work for me. Is it possible that the address was mis-typed? <br><br>Thanks again.<br><br>Andy

Re: Feeling stupid, need help. - 08/06/02 03:21 AM

Andy,<br><br>I dunno, let me check.<br><br>Comanche7<br>******<br><br>Andy, I rechecked and the link worked fine for me just now, I copied it from the forum posting above and entered it in my browser after deleting the ETS url. It popped right up. <br><br> I also tried shortening the url by removing all the stuff from suv on . . . this is a MASSIVE SITE, with ALL KINDS OF VEHICLES, including two that we have. <br><br>My guess is that there is a transposition or possible typing error, I've virtually given up trying to type in URL's lately, too many slips 'twixt the eye and the browser . . . <br><br>Good luck,<br>Comanche7
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Feeling stupid, need help. - 12/28/02 09:59 PM

look in the engine compartment.
I own a 86 dodge ram charger and i had a similar problem and was unable to locate jack. I just purchased a 2 1/2 ton floor jack and lost the space in the rear of the truck. well one day while charging my ac up there it was any plainer it would have split my lip.
hope this helps
good luck
woodsman

Re: Feeling stupid, need help. - 12/29/02 10:36 PM

Andy,
Just wondered if you struck paydirt yet?

Re: Feeling stupid, need help. - 12/29/02 11:51 PM

Comanche,

Nope, not yet. I have followed another Suburban to Wal-mart and asked the owner where his were, but no help. He carried a non-factory jack and lug wrench too.

Andy
Posted by: Hutch66

Re: Feeling stupid, need help. - 01/04/03 03:50 AM

My brother drives a '97 suburban and his are in a little cubby above the drivers side rear wheel. If you sit in the third seat you could put your left elbow on it and not know it, but there's a little latch that you pop up and pull. Don't know if it's the same in yours, but it's worth a shot.
Hope this helps,
Chris.