Virus alert CNN

Posted by: Blitz

Virus alert CNN - 08/13/08 01:29 PM

I received one in my e-mail yesterday, I thought it was fishy.

http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/cnnalert.asp

Can't copy from snopes, link only.
Posted by: Hikin_Jim

Re: Virus alert CNN - 08/13/08 07:04 PM

The idea of someone hacking into my system in order to perpetrate a crime just makes me cringe.

There's a lot of good freeware available at download.com

I personally use:
-HijackThis
-Spybot Search and Destroy
-AdAware
-Spyware Blaster
-WinPatrol

Note: I'm in the IT biz. Be careful with some of these, particularly HijackThis and Spybot S&D (in advanced mode). If you aren't particularly computer savvy, leave HijackThis off your download list, and use Spybot in it's default mode only.
Posted by: MartinFocazio

Re: Virus alert CNN - 08/13/08 07:09 PM

I use a Mac or Linux and Firefox 98% of the time. EXE's are meaningless to me.

For my Windows unavoidables, I NEVER EVER EVER use IE, if a site is "IE only" I don't use it.

Thank you for checking this one, it's always good to have a post with some decent citations and facts, one of the main things that keeps most of us here.

Re: Virus alert CNN - 08/13/08 09:15 PM

Oh, fine; brag why don't ya. smile
Posted by: Grouch

Re: Virus alert CNN - 08/13/08 11:43 PM

I might as well gloat about being a Mac user too, while there's still something to gloat about. It's just a matter of time until Macs are targeted by hackers. Then watch all of us scramble to get protected. wink
Posted by: Kris

Re: Virus alert CNN - 08/13/08 11:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Grouch
It's just a matter of time until Macs are targeted by hackers. Then watch all of us scramble to get protected. wink

True... It will happen.

I'm a mac and ubuntu user mainly at home (yes I have a windows machine as well...), but at work have to live in the windows world. Would love to switch at work as well, but it won't happen.

Still doesn't stop me from using ubuntu on a couple under-the-desk machines for the basic stuff. Even have ubuntu running off a usb key in persistent mode that i can use almost anywhere.

Posted by: GarlyDog

Re: Virus alert CNN - 08/14/08 02:17 AM

Thinking that you are invulnerable on the Internet using any computer or browser is naive.

DNS cache poisoning attacks can get you no matter what browser or operating system you are using. This method exploits a base problem with the underlying technology that controls the Internet.

http://www.secureworks.com/research/articles/dns-cache-poisoning/

The bottom line is that you need to keep your wits about you when you are on-line too.

Garlydog, CISSP
Posted by: Grouch

Re: Virus alert CNN - 08/14/08 06:54 AM

Originally Posted By: GarlyDog
Thinking that you are invulnerable on the Internet using any computer or browser is naive.

Yup.

Quote:
DNS cache poisoning attacks can get you no matter what browser or operating system you are using. This method exploits a base problem with the underlying technology that controls the Internet.

http://www.secureworks.com/research/articles/dns-cache-poisoning/

Yup, I took preventive measures as soon as this exploit was revealed.

Quote:
The bottom line is that you need to keep your wits about you when you are on-line too.

I take nothing for granted on-line except that people are always trying to do evil.
Posted by: haertig

Re: Virus alert CNN - 08/15/08 04:52 AM

Anytime I go to a sensitive site (my bank, etc.) I make a habit of first attempting to login using a bad password - on purpose. If you somehow got spoofed or received a bum DNS reply, the bogus site will probably let you in with any password. That would be your clue that something has gone amiss. You have to have multiple layers of protection, topped off with the most important layer of all - your common sense and wariness.

If you're really wary, don't do any online banking or sensitive stuff like that, and do all your websurfing using a LiveCD like Knoppix (with all your harddrives unmounted). If you're really really wary, don't plug the network cable into your computer. If you're really really really wary, don't use a computer. No computer is 100% secure, unless it's also 100% non-functional.
Posted by: MartinFocazio

Re: Virus alert CNN - 08/15/08 12:34 PM

Originally Posted By: haertig
Anytime I go to a sensitive site (my bank, etc.) I make a habit of first attempting to login using a bad password - on purpose.

This is an interesting concept, and I checked it out with one of my clients, a major issuer of credit cards, and this is a good way to "test" a site before you proceed - EXCEPT - that some sites have a 3-strikes you're locked policy, so if you're on the REAL site, you enter the wrong PW once, you now only have 2 tries to get it right. Maybe not a big deal, but sometimes I'm all fumble fingers.

Also, in the same discussion, we talked about products like "Roboform" and other local password storage systems and we all seemed to agree that these are short-term solutions, as they assume computer=person, and increasingly people are thinking "This computer" not "My computer" - in other words, any old computer will do, since so little of your online life is stored locally anymore.

Finally, in terms of Identity Theft (and we were victims), by far, the leading source of identity theft is paper. This was the case for us (cell phone service applications were being copied and sold by a nefarious customer service agent) and, in our research for big credit card company, it is the case for most cases where an individual's identity was stolen. That said, there are breaches that have nothing to do with the internet. The capture of some 40 million credit card numbers at TJ Maxx stores was done not by "phishing" or DNS poisoning, it was done by simply monitoring the wireless networks at retail locations and capturing card data.

Since so much of my work is in putting telecommunications and financial services operations online, I'm acutely aware of the risks and protections in place.

Quite frankly, I'm more worried about the quality of my online banking experience than the security of it.

And as far as DNS cache poisoning, there's a lot to worry about there, however, there's a lot more to a secure login page on a major bank than a blob of UI code shot over to the user. You could scrape and match the domain, look, feel and even the basic back-end functionality of a credit card of bank site, and still not match what the companies have in their back pocket in case DNS cache poisoning becomes a real problem.

I saw an authentication method last month that is not yet in use that is utterly brilliant, simple, and most amazingly, does away with passwords entirely, while adding a level of quality to the user authentication process. This was at a security conference.

Instead of a password, you are presented with 5 pictures. 4 of the 5 pictures are ones YOU uploaded when you set up the account, 1 is not.
You click on the 1 that is not yours.

Then, you are presented with a list of 5 vendors with transactions on your account. 1 is not a transaction you made. You click on the 1 that are NOT your transaction.

Ultimately, you're going to carry a NetKey on your keyring. Paypal and Etrade and many others issue these. They are a small device with a calculator-like display screen that displays a 6 to 8 digit number. Every 60 seconds, the number changes in an unpredictable fashion, but the pattern is known to the issuer. When you want to log in, you must enter the number (or "token") on your device. This technology is old and established, long used in the business world. There's even a software version of the number-generating device that runs on the blackberry. The point is that the days of username and password being the only way to log in, and the vulnerabilities therein, are soon to end.
Posted by: haertig

Re: Virus alert CNN - 08/15/08 03:45 PM

Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
...EXCEPT - that some sites have a 3-strikes you're locked policy, so if you're on the REAL site, you enter the wrong PW once, you now only have 2 tries to get it right. Maybe not a big deal, but sometimes I'm all fumble fingers.

I have a three strike rule on my home Linux boxes. I only have the SSH port open, you get three attempts to authenticate and then you're locked out - permanently (at least until I manually release the locked out IP). Also, to authenticate, you get a shot a entering passwords, however no password will ever work since I only accept pubkey authentication. And ssh is configured to only allow my personal login, and no others, remote access. Any other services I want to us on these Linux boxes are configured to listen only on the localhost adapter, so I have to first tunnel in with ssh before getting to them. Firewalls and routers block these other service ports from the outside world as well as me having their services attached only to localhost. As I said in an earlier post: "LAYERS of security". You can never get things perfectly secure, but you can make unauthorized access more difficult.

All my setup is obviously to protect ME from incoming threats. It's much harder to protect yourself from making a mistake when connecting outgoing to some (possibly spoofed) website. Your brain is the biggest asset there. No "software security suite" is going to protect you from your own ignorance. You might get a little help from security suite software here and there, but it's certainly not idiot-proof or bullet-proof protection.

Re: Virus alert CNN - 08/15/08 04:27 PM

Originally Posted By: haertig
Anytime I go to a sensitive site (my bank, etc.) I make a habit of first attempting to login using a bad password - on purpose. If you somehow got spoofed or received a bum DNS reply, the bogus site will probably let you in with any password. That would be your clue that something has gone amiss. You have to have multiple layers of protection, topped off with the most important layer of all - your common sense and wariness.
Brilliant!
Posted by: thseng

Re: Virus alert CNN - 08/15/08 04:57 PM

Re entering an incorrect password on the first try: I would expect that a phishing site would take the username and password you entered, log in to the real site and redirect you there so you don't realize you've been phished. Or at least that's they way I would do it if I where cyberscum.

Perhaps they don't bother, knowing that many of the people who fell for the phish wouldn't realize it anyway.

I don't have a source handy, but I seem to recall that most identity theft is committed by family or friends of the victim.