My first survival sailboat inspection

Posted by: dweste

My first survival sailboat inspection - 08/10/08 10:34 AM

Today I did my first survival sailboat inspection and learned new things.

Rudders with major impact craters and cracks thru gel coat into laminations are better because they soak up water faster, and get heavy, giving you the same benefit as water ballast in MacGregor boats.

I think that’s the way you raise the pop-top but I never used it.

Teak that is in a silver-gray eroded, crumbly-looking state is like vintage wine, some sailors just prefer them that way.

The dappled daylight you can see through the fiberglass hull bottom from the inside that matches with hundreds of gouges through the paint and gel coat on the outside are normal in a boat of this age; a little sanding and repainting will set it right.

Flexing and oil-canning in the lower hull shows the boat has good flexibility to absorb the effects of waves; all good boats have this kind of flexibility.

A six-inch impact crater in the rub rail and surrounding fiberglass deck, clearly showing the underlying laminate is also cracked, is not important because if the boat is that heeled over to put the rail underwater you are already in bigger trouble than a possible leak,

Seals under the pop-top and hatch were optional, it is better to have fiberglass-to-fiberglass contact because it is stronger; if you have waves hitting them you are already in bigger trouble than a possible leak. I don’t know anything about that line of what could be glue marks around the underside of the top.

Battens missing from the sail suite are not important; if battens are missing its because the sail designer did not think they helped the sail and they weren’t with the sail when it was first delivered.

Kinks in running gear wire just happen and will pull out over time to straighten the wire.

Bow end impacts [with the trailer’s V-block?] that have crunched through to the laminate to form a couple of four inch long smash lines about a ¼ inch deep into the laminate [look like someone took a big piece of rebar and whaled away] ate part of boating; they are the kind of cosmetic thing you can fix in an hour if you are fussy about your boat.

Yes, I glued down some new carpeting along the sides of the inner hull to spiff up the boat inside but there were no leaks, stains, or damage in those places or they would have been fixed first.

Torn and sagging ceiling liner? That’s just part of every older boat’s character.

I don’t know what’s under there; but it doesn’t matter because I would have looked if there was ever a problem and I don’t remember ever looking.

All the lights work as far as I know but I don’t sail after dark. Well, this is the master switch but you don’t want to run down the battery. Since you insist, uh, that light’s never worked and that one is just the bulb – no, I am out of bulbs – no, it’s too much trouble to swap bulbs to check.

You can hear the static so you know the radio works but without an antenna you can’t hear anything. I took the antenna off to work on it; no, we can’t hook the antenna up because it takes too much time.

Raising and lowering the mast is real easy but I just got it up and don’t want to go through that again. All the stuff up top works fine.

No, hooking up the boom and raising the mainsail is too much trouble, you can just lay them out on the lawn if you want.

The main sail is on a furling boom but I just reef so I don’t know how to use it.

You can’t stand in the back of the cockpit or the boat will fall off the back and hit the ground; makes it easy to launch at a ramp. I normally use a 9.9 horsepower motor and take 6 gallons of fuel but I carry them in my truck and put them in the boat after it is in the water. No, I don’t have a strap to hold the boat on the trailer and I have never had any problem.

I never bothered with the mast crutch when I trailered so I have no idea where it is – you don’t need it.

I don’t have anything to say about the keel; you can look if you want.

No there aren’t any bumpers; I only used mooring buoys, like at Angel Island

I berth the boat for one month a year near Rio Vista and sail the Delta and the Bay.

No there’s no dinghy; I never needed one because it’s just a day sailor.

Marine surveys are a waste of money on boats as old as this,

I never used the galley so I don’t know anything about it; I don’t think a stove came with the boat. No, that can of beans doesn’t go with the boat.

No. you can’t unsnap the cushion to set up the dinette berth; if it tore up I couldn’t sell the boat. The fabric is frayed off the entire end of that cushion; I’m not sure why – the boat probably came that way.

Those holes through the transom are probably where someone had a depthfinder; you can just seal them up.
Posted by: Bill_G

Re: My first sailboat inspection - 08/10/08 11:09 AM

Pretty comprehensive. So, when do you take delivery on this seafaring jewel? smile
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: My first sailboat inspection - 08/10/08 12:56 PM

Please tell is that this is not all on the same boat!!!
Posted by: Stu

Re: My first sailboat inspection - 08/10/08 12:58 PM

I was on a boat just like that Yesterday. smile
I'm looking for a nice 30'er, with good cabin space, a wheel not a tiller, and a built in engine.

Re: My first sailboat inspection - 08/10/08 03:08 PM

One boat, one guy, one hour or so. Only slightly fictionalized to paint a more complete verbal picture of the inner truth of the situation.

I think the universe sent me this boat and this guy to see if I was serious about finding a sailboat to liveaboard. If there was a law against sailboat abuse ....

The amazing thing was that the rigging was really very good. Stainless steel is pretty tough stuff.

His attitude empowered me to look at every single piece of gear, open every ccompartment, every surface, look at both sides of every sail, ask every question, have him drag out everything from the garage for me to look at, etc. I kept saying," Well, I know it is a little trouble but I need to check it out now so I can justify my purchase decision."

I'm glad my buddy Richard was along. He has a lot of experience with boats. I think he was worried I was seriously interested in the boat, until I quietly told him, "This has just turned into an educational experience, what else can we get this guy to say?" It became a game of finding everything screwy on the boat and getting the expert explanation about why I shouldn't worry about it.

My visual is the boat slowly sinking under full sail with our hero looking at circling fins and cursing the inferior "manufacture" of the S/V Tormented over the VHF to the Coast Guard - who keep telling him his signal is breaking up too much for them to vector in. Over and over again - as the Devil laughs.
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: My first sailboat inspection - 08/10/08 04:50 PM

All very sound advice and practical observations ... if you don't mind getting wet... and quite a deal considering that they throw in a swimming lesson and impromptu sea survival course with every purchase.

With a little luck, assuming you can get a call out and they can get there in time, you might get to see the USCG in action up close. Surely a spectacle worth the price of admission.

If they don't get there in time ... well ... you were looking for adventure and sounded like you needed a bit of time alone to contemplate life and regain perspective.

There is nothing quite so adventurous as facing down a storm at sea in a completely inadequate boat. And nothing so conducive of a change of perspective as contemplating spending the rest of a rather foreshortened life bobbing cold and alone in a life jacket on a dark and stormy night. Be sure to bring your own life jacket. Not having one takes a lot of the fun out it.

Assuming you live you could expect it to be a tale you could tell the grandkids. There I was ...
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: My first sailboat inspection - 08/10/08 05:07 PM

I don't see a problem. Just park it in a campground and call it an RV.

:-)

Re: My first sailboat inspection - 08/10/08 05:15 PM

The hull bottom looked and felt "funny" but if the sun had not been shining so I could see through from the inside, I might have doubted my evaluation. I am still trying to figure out how the hull bottom got so dinged up.

My best guess is someone tried to chip off a layer of anti-fouling paint, apparently with a delicate jack-hammer-like action, instead of sanding it off. But I suppose it might have been the end result of removing a layer of barnacles! It really must have taken hours and hours.

I can't wait to see the next boat!

Edit: Note to self, bring flashlight to duplicate outside sun effect from now on.
Posted by: wildman800

Re: My first sailboat inspection - 08/10/08 08:10 PM

I am glad that you are looking at boats with your BS Detector working at full power. Just remember to keep acting dumb about sailboats and keep asking questions!!!

Re: My first sailboat inspection - 08/10/08 08:13 PM

Originally Posted By: wildman800
remember to keep acting dumb about sailboats !!!

Perhaps too easily done at this point, but I like to think I am a quick study.
Posted by: KG2V

Re: My first sailboat inspection - 08/10/08 11:00 PM

That boat was a real winner. I saw a nice looking speed boat out by shelter island that will be lucky to be that good in a few years - guys zips up along the port side the north Ferry, cuts in front of the ferry abiut 50 yds in front, and dumps the throttle to go into the marina - all this about 150 yds from the Greenport Ferry dock - yes, he cut between a ferry and it's slip with less than 200 yards to go. The Ferry Capt was on the horn, and on the reversing thrusters pretty fast. My comment to the crew on driving off "Nice boat, with that much money you'd thing he could afford a Power Squardon Class" Their reply "I think he needs more than one"

Re: My first sailboat inspection - 08/11/08 02:38 AM

"...call it an RV..."

Hey, that could make us RV'rs look bad! A whole new class of Trailer Trash...

Re: My first sailboat inspection - 08/11/08 07:09 AM

That's Motor-Sailer Trash to you!

Re: My first sailboat inspection - 08/11/08 01:03 PM

My error. I never claimed to be much of a water rat...

Re: My first sailboat inspection - 08/11/08 05:37 PM

FYI here's my sailboat inspection / maintenance mega-list [MS Word table format didn't survive the upload]:

Inspection Maintenance
Deck clean, uncluttered Non-slip wax
Deck core de-lamination, water penetration – flex , oil-canning, blisters Fiberglass rebuild if serious
Cleats / cam cleats corrosion, leaks, alignment Remove, clean, replace
Chainplates corrosion, leaks, alignment Remove, clean, replace
Pulpit corrosion, leaks, alignment Remove, clean, replace
Mast towing hardware corrosion, leaks, alignment Remove, clean, replace
Pushpit corrosion, leaks, alignment Remove, clean, replace
Mast towing hardware corrosion, leaks, alignment Remove, clean, replace
Stanchions corrosion, leaks, alignment Remove, clean, replace
Fairleads corrosion, leaks, alignment Remove, clean, replace
Winches corrosion, leaks, alignment Open, service, lube, replace
Rails corrosion, leaks, alignment, pins and retaining rings Remove, clean, replace
Lifelines corrosion, leaks, alignment, pins and retaining rings, tension Remove, clean, replace, re-tension
Forestay(s) fish hooks, chafing, alignment, pins and retaining rings, attachments Remove, clean, replace, re-tension
Backstay fish hooks, chafing, alignment, pins and retaining rings, attachments Remove, clean, replace, re-tension
Upper shrouds fish hooks, chafing, alignment, pins and retaining rings, attachments Remove, clean, replace, re-tension
Lower shrouds fish hooks, chafing, alignment, pins and retaining rings, attachments Remove, clean, replace, re-tension
Blocks / pulleys / travelers / alignment hardware straight, even, corrosion, damage, wear, alignment, pins and retaining rings Remove, clean, replace, re-tension
Rope halyards chafing Remove, replace, re-tension
Rope-wire connections damage Remove, replace, re-tension
Wood trim UV damage, fasteners Oil, re-fasten, replace
Mast crutch UV damage, fasteners Oil, re-fasten, replace
Windows sealed, fasteners, clean, leaks Remove, clean, re-caulk, re-fasten
Zincs wear Remove, replace
Rub rails straight, fastened, damage, leaks Remove, inspect, re-caulk, replace
Anti-fouling paint Holidays, scrapes touch-up
Hatches leaks, cracks, seals, clamps Remove, or replace
Lockers leaks, cracks, seals, clamps Remove, inspect, repair or replace
Lazarette leaks, cracks, seals, clamps Remove, inspect, repair or replace
Transom leaks, cracks inspect, repair
Mast straight, even, corrosion, damage, wear Clean, re-tension, repair or replace
Mast light wire and deck socket Corrosion, damage Clean, service, repair or replace
Mast hinge Corrosion, damage Clean, service, repair or replace
Mast hinge pin / pivot pin – lock nut Corrosion, damage Clean, service, repair or replace
Spreaders straight, corrosion, damage, wear, attached to shroud line, end protection Clean, service, repair or replace
Boom straight, corrosion, damage, wear Clean, service, repair or replace
Mainsail cleat straight, corrosion, damage, wear Clean, service, repair or replace
Connection to mast corrosion, damage, wear Clean, service, repair or replace
Boom vang Cracks, alignment Clean, service, repair or replace
Poles straight, , corrosion, damage, wear Clean, service, repair or replace
Sail tracks fasteners present, secure, leaks Clean, service, repair or replace
Welds Cracks, corrosion, leaks Clean, inspect, repair or replace
Navigation lights Work, damage, dirty Clean, repair or replace
Bumpers Damaged, dirty Clean, repair or replace
Dock lines Chafing, dirty Clean, repair or replace
Canvas
Dodgers Chafing, dirty, worn Clean, service, repair or replace
Biminis Chafing, dirty, worn Clean, service, repair or replace
Equipment covers Chafing, dirty, worn Clean, service, repair or replace
Pop-top cover Chafing, dirty, worn Clean, service, repair or replace
Cabin
Floor damage, leaks Clean, service, repair or replace
Ceiling liner damage, leaks Clean, service, repair or replace
Bulkheads / dividers not shifted at connections to deck hull, or ceiling liner, water damage Secure, repair or replace
Galley
Pipes work, leaks, clamps repair or replace
electrical wiring Work, secure Repair or replace
fuel tanks Work, full, secure Fill, Repair or replace
pumps Work, leaks Repair or replace
Dinette Secure, damage Repair or replace
Water tanks Leaks, secure Repair or replace
Dry storage Secure, damage Repair or replace
lights Work, corrosion Repair or replace
Berths Clean, service, repair
Storage areas Dry, secure Clean, service, repair
Lights Work, corrosion Clean, service, repair or replace
Bilge Oil, debris clean
Pumps operational, leaks Repair or replace, tighten clamps
Limber holes debris clear
Hull
Blisters Drain, inspect if water in laminate Remove, repair, restore gel coat
Cracks Inspect if beyond gel coat Fill, restore gel coat
Scratches Inspect if beyond gel coat restore gel coat
Impact damage Inspect if beyond gel coat restore gel coat
Thru-hull fittings corrosion, leaks double clamps, lube seacocks
Cockpit drains Drains, leaks
Outboard well Drains, leaks
Water ballast valve Leaks, corrosion Clean, replace gaskets, hardware
Pop-top
Locking devices alignment, functions Repair or replace
Seal straight, flexible, continuous Repair or replace
Forward hatch
Locking clamp alignment, functions Repair or replace
Cabin hatches
Keel / centerboard Damage – leading edge Repair or replace
Lock pin / pivot pin alignment, corrosion, damage, wear Repair or replace
Uphaul hardware alignment, corrosion, damage, wear Repair or replace
Rudder Repair or replace
Blade damage, leading edge Repair or replace
Hinges, pintels damage, distortion, fit, guide holes round not oblong Lube, repair or replace e,
Pivot bolt and nut damage, distortion, fit, guide holes round not oblong Lube, repair or replace
Tiller blisters, de-lamination, damage, distortion Repair or replace
Engine
Spark plugs Present, working Clean, replace
zincs wear Replace
impeller works Replace
primer bulb Works, leaks Clean, repair or replace
fuel line Works, leaks Clean, repair or replace
Fuel tank Clean, leaks, gauges, Clean, fill, repair or replace
oil Clean, full Replace
oil filter Works, leaks repair or replace
fuel filter Works, leaks repair or replace
Propellers bent, nicked, notched, cracked Replace
Backfire flame control device present replace
Safety cable sound repair or replace
Clamps Tight, lock, motor solid replace
Papers
Title Match to hull numbers Inquiry, report, no-go
Insurance Match to hull numbers Inquiry, report, no-go
Registration Match to hull numbers Inquiry, report, no-go
HIN Match to trailer registration Inquiry, report, no-go
manufacturer plate Match to trailer registration Inquiry, report, no-go
Coast Guard required equipment
PFDs inspect replace as needed
Fire extinguishers inspect, check expiration date replace as needed
Flares inspect, check expiration date replace as needed
Air Horn / hailer inspect Repair or replace
Nav lights inspect Repair or replace
Dinghy / life raft inspect Repair or replace
Placards : oil discharge, waste disposal Repair or replace
Other
Anchors inspect Repair or replace
Anchor rode[s], chain, connectors inspect Repair or replace
Sea anchor inspect Repair or replace
Series drogue inspect Repair or replace
Rocker stopper inspect Repair or replace
Jack lines inspect Repair or replace
Safety harness(es) inspect Repair or replace
Man overboard float, flag, rescue rope inspect Repair or replace
Radar reflector inspect Repair or replace
Mast float inspect Repair or replace
At-anchor lights inspect Repair or replace
Electrical
Batteries water level if not sealed, terminals, terminal covers clean & lube
Lights test, spare bulbs, corrosion Repair or replace
Gauges test Repair or replace
Shore power check line, inverter, sockets, Repair or replace
fuses and breakers inspect Replace as needed
Connections Corrosion, shrink wrapped, copper Clean, replace as needed
Wires neat, organized, labeled Repair or replace
Electronics
Radio check, spare batteries, check antenna Repair or replace
GPS check, spare batteries, check antenna Repair or replace
Sonar check Repair or replace
Radar check Repair or replace
Compass check calibrate
Nav check charts / tide book / nav tools / logbook / radio channel list replace
Head working, chemicals and TP at hand clean, lube, treat, replace
Trailer
rollers and pads Worn, loose Repair or replace
wheel bearings Check lubricate
winch Check Clean and lubricate
winch pawl / latch Check Clean and lubricate
winch strap Check Clean and lubricate
safety chain from boat to trailer Check Clean and lubricate
tongue jack Check Clean and lubricate
lights Check Clean and lubricate
electrical connection Check Clean and lubricate
tires pressure and condition Inflate, service
wheels lug nuts Tighten, replace
brakes breakaway chains Repair or replace
tongue lock works Repair or replace
Boat on trailer Level, tongue weight Adjust
Mainsail clean, stiff, wear / chafing Repair or replace
Main halyard Bowline through twist pin U shackle, pins and retaining rings Repair or replace
Roller / furler gear wear, damage, drum, stay couplings Repair or replace
Reef points wear, damage Repair or replace
Attachment hardware wear, damage Repair or replace
Batten pockets - wear, damage Repair or replace
Battens wear, damage Repair or replace
Stitching – seams, wear, damage Repair or replace
Jib clean, stiff, wear / chafing Repair or replace
Jib halyard Bowline through twist pin U shackle, pins and retaining rings Repair or replace
Roller / furler gear wear, damage, tape, drum, stay couplings Repair or replace
Stitching – seams wear, damage Repair or replace
Genoa clean, stiff, wear / chafing Repair or replace
Genoahalyard Bowline through twist pin U shackle, pins and retaining rings Repair or replace
Roller / furler gear wear, damage, tape, drum, stay couplings Repair or replace
Stitching – seams wear, damage Repair or replace

Posted by: Todd W

Re: My first sailboat inspection - 08/12/08 12:56 AM

Have you been checking Sacramento Craigslist? I've checked recently for boats actually too.

Re: My first sailboat inspection - 08/12/08 12:58 AM

Yes. I have found the best craigslists to check are: Sacramento, SF Bay Area, Orange County, and San Diego.

What type boat are you looking for?
Posted by: bmisf

Re: My first sailboat inspection - 08/15/08 09:27 PM

Thanks, dweste - outstanding post, and your checklist is something I'll save for future reference if I ever decide to go for a sailboat.

Ask me someday about my experiences inspecting, purchasing, owning and maintaining a 1950s V-Tail Beech Bonanza ;-)

Re: My first sailboat inspection - 08/16/08 03:47 AM

"...V-Tail Beech Bonanza..."

Ah, one of those "v-tailed doctor killers". Glad you survived that...

Re: My first sailboat inspection - 08/16/08 04:56 AM

I was able to post a sailboat inspection table and a sailboat tools table in their native MS Word format here:

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/0F6mSDNo7OI...0inspection.doc

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/0F6mSOhqac4...%20hardware.doc

Feel free to download and modify the files for your own use.

Re: My first sailboat inspection - 08/17/08 12:54 AM

Hi dweste - those links don't seem to be working...

Re: My first sailboat inspection - 08/17/08 01:10 AM

Copy them into your browser's URL window, then you can go to them.

Re: My first sailboat inspection - 08/17/08 08:11 PM

Yes - of course I did that; it says "document not found".

I tried it in a download program I use as well - same message. Various edits to the URL don't seem to help.

Re: My first sailboat inspection - 08/17/08 11:06 PM

Sorry, apparently it works for me because I am a member of the Yahoo group where I posted the files. My bad.

I don't have a website, yet, and I am not sure how / whre else to post. I have not noticed a "files" area in this forum. that I can use.

Anybody have a simple suggestion?

I suppose I could email the files to someone better prepared to share them.

Re: My first sailboat inspection - 08/18/08 01:13 AM

Sure - send them to me and I'll put them where they're publicly available on my servers and post URLs. I'll pm my address to you.

Re: My first sailboat inspection - 08/18/08 01:44 AM

Big thanks again to dweste for providing the files. I've posted them for him here:

http://www.brilliantmedia.com/pub/sailboatdocs.zip

(Both files are in the zip - enjoy.)