Taste test

Posted by: marduk

Taste test - 08/09/08 02:43 AM

For dinner tonight DD (my most enthusiastic camping/canoeing partner) and I “taste tested” some Backpackers Pantry products we had. Why? Because we could! Wife is out with the “girls” and DS is at a sleep-over.

BEEF STROGANOFF: 2 serving pkg. use by date:05.09.08
taste: not bad
quantity: sufficient for 2 if not real hungry, about right if after a long wilderness day.
Texture: following the directions yields stroganoff soup

Rec.: buy again yes, next time use 25% less water.

THAI SPICY PEANUT SAUCE: 2 serving pkg. use by date:05.28.09
taste: verrrry spicy, unfortunately no other flavor
quantity: sufficient for 2 if not real hungry, about right if after a long wilderness day.
Texture: following the directions: worse than al dente. Needed 20 min. to “cook”, not 10, then ok.

Rec.: leave it on the shelf unless the alternative is to starve.

Just another exciting night at the ranch.
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: Taste test - 08/09/08 03:04 AM

the best luck i've had with those is anything with rice..you
can always add more to fill them out..
chile mac and beef will sting sunburned lips!!
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: Taste test - 08/09/08 03:57 AM

I like a lot of hot/spicy foods and the Thai Spicy Peanut to me tasted under-spiced so it fell back on the peanut taste. Having said that, I'd rather have had a peanut butter sandwich if I'd craved peanuts all that much.

So far I've liked a good portion of the Backpacker's Pantry meals with the exception of that one.

I agree with the observation about how much water you use in the stroganoff, but would add that the same goes for a couple of their other meals as well. I wonder if that's how it stretches out to the advertised 2 meals. The meals didn't seem to be undercooked in that the noodles or rice hadn't had a chance to absorb enough water for them to be tender, they just seemed soupy. Even so, I can't say that they weren't pretty good overall.

I really like the diversity of Backpacker's Pantry too.

Posted by: comms

Re: Taste test - 08/11/08 02:18 AM

The Beef Strog. is a good one. Can't eat that one al dente. Got let the noodles get soft.

I like the sweeter ones, like Hawaiian Chicken. So much of what I snack on during the day is salty, (jerky, nuts) that is almost tastes like a desert to my tastebuds.

My one warning is when trying new meals, which I enthusiasticly recommend, read the package to make sure the instructions don't involve a bunch of mixing.
Posted by: SirJoel

Re: Taste test - 08/11/08 06:39 PM

Thanks for the reviews.