rope handle for a knife

Posted by: steelie

rope handle for a knife - 07/30/08 03:38 PM

ok... here's the deal. i own this:

and i want to make a handle on the knife out of paracord. does anyone know the proper way to tie it on? i can't find anything "how-to" instructions for tying a rope handle onto the knife. i'm sure it involves threading it through the hole in the handle, but after that i'm lost. any ideas?
Posted by: Nishnabotna

Re: rope handle for a knife - 07/30/08 03:40 PM

County Comm has great instructions for threading paracord around their stuff.
Umm.... here you go
http://countycomm.com/eodrtool.htm
2nd youtube video
Posted by: BobS

Re: rope handle for a knife - 07/30/08 03:48 PM

If you want to know how to tie knots and make things like rope handles (and a heck of a lot more) a good book to buy or check out of the library is,

“The Ashley Book Of Knots”
Posted by: MRPrice

Re: rope handle for a knife - 07/30/08 04:24 PM

No advice on tying it on but a question that I seem to have a mental block on

I understand cord/extra cord but for some reason to me having it be used as the handle for a knife always strikes me as "wrong" in that you seem to be sacrificing a more effective handle to get some cord that you would most likely be using first thing in a survival situation.

Am I just looking at it the wrong way?
Posted by: Dan_McI

Re: rope handle for a knife - 07/30/08 04:26 PM

The County Comm video might work, but you will probably need to drill at least one more hole. As an alternative, you might try working toward the blade, opposite from what the video does.

If you do that, then end you tie off may be in the wrong place. If you leave enough cord, then you could tie a turkshead, and give it a rather neat appearance. Something like this: http://www.folsoms.net/knots/turkshead.htm

Instead of the county comm method, you could also simply make a whipping, as one might make a temporary whipping for a rope or line. See: http://korpegard.se/knot/?knot=16&hideComments=&showInt

I put a temporary whipping over most of the handle of my coldsteel kukri, then tied two turkshead at either end. The original handle is there, but most of it is covered in line.

The difficulty I foresee you having is where the handle comes out at the point that should be between your index and middle fingers.
Posted by: steelie

Re: rope handle for a knife - 07/30/08 04:59 PM

Originally Posted By: MRPrice
No advice on tying it on but a question that I seem to have a mental block on

I understand cord/extra cord but for some reason to me having it be used as the handle for a knife always strikes me as "wrong" in that you seem to be sacrificing a more effective handle to get some cord that you would most likely be using first thing in a survival situation.

Am I just looking at it the wrong way?

good point... but i can't think of any other way to get a handle on there, without doing something more "permanent." since this is my kayak blade (not survival, per se), chances are, i'm not going to be using the paracord for anything in particular... it will be first and foremost a nice grippy handle when wet.

to everyone else, thanks for the links. this is exactly the info i was looking for, but couldn't seem to figure out the right combination of search terms for google.
Posted by: Rodion

Re: rope handle for a knife - 07/30/08 05:16 PM

[censored].png" alt="" />

I then hit myself in the head with the ring, causing all drawing talent to evaporate into thin air.
Posted by: bsmith

Re: rope handle for a knife - 07/30/08 10:52 PM

this may work:

http://www.m4040.com/Knifemaking/cordwrap.htm

Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: rope handle for a knife - 07/31/08 01:53 AM

If you just want a grippy handle, you might just dip it in something like this. The stuff I have used (not necessarily this particular brand) gives a nice tacky feel to whatever you dip in it, and you can get nice bright colors if you want...
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: rope handle for a knife - 07/31/08 03:19 AM

bees wax rubbed on a wood handle will make it grippy
Posted by: Raspy

Re: rope handle for a knife - 07/31/08 05:50 AM

Paracord Knife Handle
Cord Wrap Handles
Cris Revese Right Handed Knot and Left Handed
Posted by: NAro

Re: rope handle for a knife - 07/31/08 11:53 AM

I second OBG's suggestion:
http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

I've used it on skeletal frame knives with great success, and you can repeat the dip until you have it built up to the heft you want.
Posted by: comms

Re: rope handle for a knife - 08/01/08 04:37 PM

Your using that knife for kayaking but is that a knife made for kayaking? Seems a bit silly to create a knife for that purpose without some sort of gripiness done by the manufacturer. I mean it would be meant for a wet environment and without a hilt, it invites your hand to slip over an onto the blade. I have never been a fan of skeleton knives.

If that's what its made for great, my bad. But I think there are better options for 'at the ready' maritime blades.

I have wrapped some tanto knives in paracord and replaced some wood handles with paracord on others but none with the curves your handle has, I think you may not like the outcome, either in feel or how the rope remains taut long term around the handle. I think the curves will slip the rope a bit.

I have tried some of the plasti-Dip on tools and dog tags and it works pretty well. Get the liquid and not the spray.

A cheaper option may be to use rubber bands around the handle. In time they would break but its a good thought, I think, to get around the curves and get the grip you want.

I think your whole point is to get some tactile feeling or tackiness on the handle. I don't think para cord is the answer for that handle, or that that blade is right for a kayak environment.

My two cents and you know what the price of dollar is these days.
Posted by: Nishnabotna

Re: rope handle for a knife - 08/01/08 05:13 PM

I wonder what a spray on truck liner would be like. I know some people that applied extra Herculiner to their tool handles, but it would be a waste to buy a whole can for just one knife (starts to go bad after opening). But if you could find a place that did it I'd think they could apply it for very little money since it would be such a small amount. They could just give it a quick spray a they were finishing up a customer.
Posted by: NAro

Re: rope handle for a knife - 08/01/08 11:23 PM

Use PlastiDip. If you want it REALLY grippy, fling some fine aquarium sand on the wet handle. You won't drop it when it's wet, but I find that for prolonged use it sandpaper's my hand (who'd have thought!).

FWIW I plastidip a LOT of stuff I use in my outdoor/survival kits: CRTK skeletal knives, Zippo lighter, some flashlights, etc. I either dip, or use a disposable 1/2" paint brush and paint the gunk on.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: rope handle for a knife - 08/02/08 03:08 AM

Another option would be self fusing silicone rubber electrical tape. This stuff, available at any hardware store, kindasorta melts into itself when wrapped around an object, creating a semi-sticky surface...
Posted by: Raspy

Re: rope handle for a knife - 08/02/08 05:54 AM

Apparently I goofed on this link. Paracord Knife Handle So I'll fix it.