ETS: Missing in Action?

Posted by: Roarmeister

ETS: Missing in Action? - 07/24/08 12:05 AM

For the last few days I've been getting a number of errors when trying to access the home page of ETS.
"The page you requested cannot be found on Equipped To Survive™" which I find a bit strange.

This happens about 50% of the time but a few re-loads later, it comes back. Is their a problem with the server or perhaps is it just me not having success with access. This doesn't happen with my other website so I figured it must be a timing issue with this site? Any ideas?

--
signed: "missing my daily updates"
Posted by: dweste

Re: ETS: Missing in Action? - 07/24/08 12:10 AM

Me, too.
Posted by: climberslacker

Re: ETS: Missing in Action? - 07/24/08 12:14 AM

me 3
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: ETS: Missing in Action? - 07/24/08 12:21 AM

No Problems Here?

Mike
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: ETS: Missing in Action? - 07/24/08 12:31 AM

I was having trouble getting to ETS via a previous bookmark that had some type of php tag on it If I recall correctly. All I had to do get rid of everything but http://www.equipped.org/ , which got me to the ETS front page, then I just made another bookmark.

Re: ETS: Missing in Action? - 07/24/08 12:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Nicodemus
I was having trouble getting to ETS via a previous bookmark that had some type of php tag on it If I recall correctly. All I had to do get rid of everything but http://www.equipped.org/ , which got me to the ETS front page, then I just made another bookmark.

Hmmm, maybe, just maybe. I checked my bookmark and it was directing me to "http://www.equipped.org/home.htm" so I just removed the last bit and will see if that changes anything.
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: ETS: Missing in Action? - 07/24/08 12:40 AM

I have a high speed wireless setup, and Internet Explorer still cacks about one time in ten. I assume it doesn't get a response quite quick enough and throws up its hands. I hit refresh (F5) and ETS loads, no problem. So I'm sure it's some idiot time-out setting in IE that I can't quite find.
Posted by: MartinFocazio

Re: ETS: Missing in Action? - 07/24/08 08:32 AM

Check your bookmarks, they should be just plain www.equipped.org, nothing else. We're always making adjustments to the server and software, and anything you bookmark that contains .php? is a candidate for an unannounced changes at various attacks are attempted and preventative patches applied.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: ETS: Missing in Action? - 07/24/08 01:17 PM

I had the same problem, so I just googled ETS, then re-bookmarked it. Works fine again...

Re: ETS: Missing in Action? - 07/24/08 11:50 PM

Thanks for the replies. Cleaning up the address seems to have done it. I am curious as to why it changed just in the last week or so? FTR, I am running Firefox 3.0.1 I wouldn't touch IE with a 10' pole and if my life depended on it!

The problem is when I bookmark most pages they send me to a home or index page then a few months later with a different web page writer it changes to the opposite index or home or something even different.

Web pages owners should really stick to one REAL address for the home page and never change it lest they lose customers (clients?), JMHO.
Posted by: MartinFocazio

Re: ETS: Missing in Action? - 07/26/08 11:58 PM

With the forum SW, there's a PHP/SQL thing going on, and as it is patched, the generated page ID's - including the home page - sometimes change. We're CONSTANTLY under attack by spammers and other goofballs, so there's a pretty constant stream of changes and tweaks as the site is defended both proactively and occasionally reactively.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: ETS: Missing in Action? - 07/27/08 02:38 AM

"... PHP/SQL thing..."

That's all Greek to me, but as long as I can google ETS and get where I want to go, I am a happy camper...