Improve diesel engine miles per gallon

Posted by: GarlyDog

Improve diesel engine miles per gallon - 07/12/08 11:14 PM

I recently installed a propane injection system on my Ford F350. I have been very impressed with the results. My mileage went from around 13-14mpg to 21-23mpg.

Even after adding in the cost of propane, which is drizzled into the system by a computer, my cost per mile has dropped significantly. In less than one year, through savings at current diesel prices, including propane, the system will be paid for.

For anyone who owns a deisel vehicle, this technology is worth looking into.

Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Improve diesel engine gas mileage - 07/12/08 11:30 PM

How is the power on propane? As in pulling a large fifthwheel trailer up a grade...

Re: Improve diesel engine gas mileage - 07/13/08 12:07 AM

Power goes up too. It is really incredible. The engine runs much more smoothly, and is much quicker off the line.

Posted by: unimogbert

Re: Improve diesel engine gas mileage - 07/13/08 12:27 AM

Be wary of legislators learning of this. They'll have to tax the propane like they tax gasoline and diesel.
Posted by: BobS

Re: Improve diesel engine gas mileage - 07/13/08 12:40 AM

There is a hidden cost with propane that doesn’t show up for a time, diesel and gasoline have the ability to lubricate an engine. Propane doesn’t do this, it’s a very dry gas that has no lubricating ability. This may cause problems down the road.

Re: Improve diesel engine gas mileage - 07/13/08 04:52 AM

The engine still runs on diesel fuel. A small amount of propane is injected into the system by a computer controlled device to help the diesel fuel burn more effeciently. It is NOT a retrofit to run on propane.

Regarding the tax, the propane tank is removable and refilled like a gas grill tank. Uncle Sam doesn't tax this the same way as if it was permanently mounted as a fuel tank...yet. The tank on my truck holds only 20lbs, which lasts about 1200 miles.
Posted by: sodak

Re: Improve diesel engine gas mileage - 07/13/08 12:59 PM

As long as it's done properly, propane injection will really clean up your emissions. IIRC, it increases the total burn to something like 90 or 95%. Propane is great at scavenging the diesel for combustion. They had a great writeup on the turbodieselregister a couple of years ago, it might still be there.

Re: Improve diesel engine gas mileage - 07/13/08 01:15 PM

Do you have a link or website???
Posted by: sodak

Re: Improve diesel engine gas mileage - 07/13/08 08:52 PM

Here you go.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/forums/

This is pretty much a gathering of Dodge diesel owners with the Cummins engine, but they have great articles and technical data. Even if it's Cummins-oriented, their quarterly magazine is loaded with good technical diesel info.

I hope you like it!

Re: Improve diesel engine gas mileage - 07/13/08 10:36 PM

Here is the system that I am using:

http://www.superchips.com/categories.php?p_cat=8&cname=Propane+Systems

You definitely need to know what you are doing to install this system correctly/safely. Or you can have a professional mechanic do it for you.

Yes, the emissions seem less stinky too.

Re: Improve diesel engine gas mileage - 07/14/08 12:51 AM

Thanks to you both...