Observation about the Victorinox/Wenger merger

Posted by: Anonymous

Observation about the Victorinox/Wenger merger - 06/26/08 08:55 PM

Last week I picked up a Wenger swiss army pen. Basically a pen with a knife, scissors, nail file, and led light in it...a novelty at best but it makes a fine letter opener and was heavily discounted.

I just happened to notice that while it's clearly a Wenger (square logo, packaging is all Wenger, etc) the stamping on the Blade says: "Victorinox Swiss Made Stainless". This is the first time I've seen a knife with both brands on it.

Granted my SAKs all predate the merger but I still found it interesting that they're appearing to blend despite the maintenance of two distinct brands...at least 2 when it comes to knives. I'm not counting the 'Swiss gear' stuff like backpacks and wallets.
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Observation about the Victorinox/Wenger merger - 06/26/08 11:10 PM

I own quite a few Victorinox products, and have carried them on many backpacking trips. They get the job done, and they're tougher than they look.

I have also had a few Wenger items. Their steel is pretty lousy, their designs clunky. Not much of a loss IMO.

All in all, I hope Victorinox ate Wenger, not the other way around.

Pretty sure McGyver carries a Victorinox. :-)
Posted by: Paul D.

Re: Observation about the Victorinox/Wenger merger - 06/27/08 05:28 AM

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
I own quite a few Victorinox products, and have carried them on many backpacking trips. They get the job done, and they're tougher than they look.

I have also had a few Wenger items. Their steel is pretty lousy, their designs clunky. Not much of a loss IMO.

All in all, I hope Victorinox ate Wenger, not the other way around.

Pretty sure McGyver carries a Victorinox. :-)

Victorinox bought Wenger, so no worries.
Posted by: climberslacker

Re: Observation about the Victorinox/Wenger merger - 06/27/08 01:36 PM

yeah!! I havn't heard of the merger untill this thread! Thanks guys!
Posted by: CJK

Re: Observation about the Victorinox/Wenger merger - 06/28/08 12:16 AM

Now if we can just get Vic to use the Wenger design for the 'scissor spring'...