Giving yourself a haircut

Posted by: dweste

Giving yourself a haircut - 06/19/08 03:13 PM

Best tool(s) and practices for giving yourself a presentable haircut or at least a decent trim to extend time between barber visits?

Thanks.
Posted by: Dan_McI

Re: Giving yourself a haircut - 06/19/08 03:29 PM

I think that really depends on the kind of cut you want. If you are willing to get it really short, then a set of electric clippers is going to get you high and tight in a matter of moments. If you want something evened and thinned out all over and still a couple inches long in places, you'll need scissors too.

If you was convinced to do it yourself, use the clippers and get it to stubble. You are unlikely to get it looking right in the back with scissors.

I cut my own and others hair many times trying to get past inspection while in college.

Something like this might be good: http://consumer.wahl.com/product.cfm?sid=9&ID=87
Posted by: climberslacker

Re: Giving yourself a haircut - 06/19/08 03:29 PM

sharp scissor and a mirror... it would be easy if you wanted a bald or shaved head, you'd never have the go to the barber again!
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Giving yourself a haircut - 06/19/08 04:01 PM

+1 on electric clippers. I've been cutting my hair for 11 years using nothing but the clippers. These days I just cut it all to the scalp so I don't have to cut it as often. Keep them oiled and free of hair and they'll last a really really long time.
Posted by: Mike_H

Re: Giving yourself a haircut - 06/19/08 06:18 PM

Just get a Flowbee! (I'm kidding...)

A good set of clippers is definitely a good suggestion. You can either do an all over short buzz, or trim as appropriate.
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Giving yourself a haircut - 06/19/08 08:20 PM

I used an electric clipper for a couple of years. Very, very convenient to buzz everything half an inch off the wood.

Perfect for camping too. Pour a cup of hot, soapy water over your head and you're presentable.

But does a buzz look good? It's in fashion these days, but it really depends on the shape of your head. Some guys look great. I don't, since my head is (apparently) shaped like a turnip. So I went back to regular haircuts.

But if money got tight, I'd go buzz again, and wear a great hat.

Posted by: BlueSky

Re: Giving yourself a haircut - 06/19/08 10:04 PM

I use clippers and scissors on mine for a couple years now. I find that if it's a little longer, it's more forgiving of errors. It's longer than a typical clipper cut, but he clippers really help get the back even (I use a #6 guard, which is 6/8" or 3/4"). I blend the rest with the scissors.

I started by extending time between visits, but finally just stop getting cuts altogether. That let me build courage by doing a little at a time. Also, if you only cut a little, it's easier to fix, if needed.
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Giving yourself a haircut - 06/19/08 10:51 PM

A few months ago I got myself a Wahl kit. All told, including tax, it came out at most of $30. It came with guide combs going from 1/16" to 1" and included taper guides for the sides.

So far I have given myself three cuts. Figure I saved about $40 so if I stop now I'm ahead of the game a bit. The first try was a bit rough but after some finagling it came out a bit shorter than planned but acceptable. As far as I can tell the snickering and laughter was well disguised.

After that it got a bit smoother. One of the tricks I learned is to start with very clean and perfectly dry hair. To work the trimmer repeatedly from all directions multiple times systematically covering the whole area.

I may go back and get a smaller trimmer to compliment the large full-power one. The large unit is hard to use to trim around the ears. One slip and you can plow a difficult to blend landing strip. A smaller and less aggressive unit might be just the thing.

If the power goes down the clipper will run well off my generator or an inverter running off a car battery. SHTF and a person with hair cutting skill, more ability than I have, could make a bit of scratch cutting hair. Working off available AC power or an inverter hooked up to a vehicle's 12v battery.

As long as people live their hair will grow. If POCO power is down air conditioning is going to be in short supply. Sweating in the heat is motivation enough for people to want their hair shorter. Short hair also uses less water, demands less attention and can help control lice.
Posted by: Todd W

Re: Giving yourself a haircut - 06/20/08 05:36 AM

Originally Posted By: dweste
Best tool(s) and practices for giving yourself a presentable haircut or at least a decent trim to extend time between barber visits?

Thanks.

The wife, best tool for a hair cut... probably helps she is a stylist.

And for the record I shaved my head today, from ~3/4" down to 1/8"... I look like a melon. Got rid of the beard too.
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: Giving yourself a haircut - 06/20/08 01:13 PM

+1 on all the clipper comments.

With a good set of clippers and the higher number guards you don't even have to do the "buzz".
Posted by: unimogbert

Re: Giving yourself a haircut - 06/20/08 03:06 PM

Not sure I'd try to cut my own hair but my wife and I cut each other's hair using a Robocut. (I think it's a competitor to Flobee.)

She had to write out the instructions and sign a liability release before I'd do hers the first time :-)

This has saved us a ton of money over at least 10 years.
Posted by: 91gdub

Re: Giving yourself a haircut - 06/20/08 10:40 PM

My barber told me many years ago that the difference berween a bad hair cut and a good hair cut is 2 weeks. laugh
Posted by: samhain

Re: Giving yourself a haircut - 06/20/08 11:49 PM

I'm bald on top so once a month I mow the sides with my beard trimmer.

My wife calls me her velvet-head cool

Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: Giving yourself a haircut - 06/21/08 12:31 AM

It's the WAHL Clippers for my son and I in the summer time, we do it on the porch so we do not make a mess in the house.

Sometimes when we have an inspection coming up I just clip the hair over the ears with some fine scissors, it gets you by until you can do a proper job.

The 3 ladies in the house will have nothing to do at all with home haircuts!

Mike