Am I the Only One?

Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Am I the Only One? - 06/05/08 03:04 PM

Now that I have been back for a while, I have noticed something. Why are there no other women in this forum? Am I the only lady here?

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: Blast

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/05/08 03:10 PM

No, there's Susan, Christina, Librarian, and my wife (Kuovonne) to name four off the top of my head. There's a few others but there names escape me at this momment.

-Blast
Posted by: climberslacker

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/05/08 03:42 PM

Yes there are many, but recently you have been the only one posting very often that I have noticed.
Posted by: Mike_H

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/05/08 04:10 PM

Just a lot of us boys with our toys...
Posted by: ChristinaRodriguez

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/05/08 04:22 PM

We're rare and expertly aged, like fine cheddar...

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/05/08 04:38 PM

Quote:

And y'all look great when fighting zombies.

-Blast, still waiting for those pictures..

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/05/08 05:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Christina

How quickly I forget.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: Mike_H

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/05/08 06:25 PM

Always have a Zombie Plan!

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/05/08 06:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Mike_H

I only deal with zombies in role plays.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: Joy

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/05/08 06:53 PM

I'm here, but I am kind of shy about posting. I used to post here several years ago and quit because other things were taking up my time and interest. I would often visit, but never joined in the conversations.

I finally joined again and have made a few posts. I know there are a few things that I can contribute here and there, so I decided it was time to join back in. I'm still shy about posting, but I have enjoyed your posts very much! :-)

Joy
Posted by: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/05/08 07:49 PM

Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle
Originally Posted By: Mike_H

I only deal with zombies in role plays.

Jeanette Isabelle

Lucky you. I work with them........ whistle
Posted by: Angel

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/05/08 09:46 PM

Well, I'm a girl, but I spend more time in the woods than in a house so don't post on here as often as some. Too many things to do outside during the summer.
Posted by: LaLine

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/05/08 10:55 PM

I'm here too. I'm also shy about posting because I've only recently become -- what's the word? zealous? eager? excited? more aware? -- about being prepared and I don't feel like I have as much to contribute...yet.

Also, the few questions I have come up with I find have been thoroughly discussed in previous threads. The search option is my friend.

Please keep the posts coming. I'm learning a lot from everyone.
Posted by: Susan

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/06/08 01:24 AM

Joy, you can always ask questions!

Leigh ("Lucky you. I work with them........ ") I work FOR them. And they don't pay much.

It's spring in WA, so I am attempting to work in the garden. Unfortunately, the weather thinks it's still winter...

Sue
Posted by: frostbite

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/06/08 04:12 AM

I don't post much either, but I read often, and learn a lot.
Posted by: katarin

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/06/08 05:39 AM

i am also around ... just not much to say lately

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/06/08 11:31 PM

Thank you Sue! I'll have to try to think of something to ask. I would like to hear how the women here are preparing for emergencies, both immediate and long term. I am interested in both.

I mostly keep my small EDC emergency stuff in my purse or a bag. I try to keep a first aid kit close by at all times. I have different size first aid kits for different things, like for a small purse, a larger bag, and for the car. I have 2 small Leatherman's on key chains and a medium size one for my purse. It is too heavy and large to carry on me.

I keep emergency stuff in my car for all kinds of situations. I make sure I have enough stuff so that I can stay anywhere, at any time, for any reason and be fairly comfortable. I still have a lot I need to do for our cars though. I am not as prepared for leaving my car in a large scale widespread emergency. My pack is too small, so I would have to also hand carry some stuff. I have an AMK heatsheets bag, but would like to get the Bivy 2 and some other setup for sleeping in. I need to get lighter more compact stuff. I have lists of things I want to get, and have been saving links in favorites of things I have read about here on ETS.

My husband isn't as interested in being as prepared as I am, so I have more stuff in my car then he does. I put together a bag for his car and he has used a few things in it already - but not for an emergency.

Someday I hope to get nice packs to put everything in for hiking out of a city if we ever need to. It is more important for him to have a setup for that purpose then for me, since he works in a city and I am in the mountains.

Heat is a problem for me in my car, so I have to cover food, water and things that I worry about with pads, coats and anything else I have - to keep them cool. That works for me. Like others here I have had candles melt and food go bad because of hot temps. I used to keep a large ccoler in my trunk. That worked great, but my husband complained that my car was too heavy with all my 'stuff' so I had to take some things out and that was one of them.

So over the next year or so I have to work on cutting down on weight and making a setup for abandoning my car if I ever have too. I know what I want to get and do, but it will take time and money.

I am also interested in long term preparedness for whatever may come down the road. I have some food and water stored. I am always working on improving and adding to what we have.

Right now I am not working on my garden because I have other things that I have to work on and I can't spread myself too thin because of health problems. My duaghter is getting married in Sept., which is coming up fast!

I would love to hear how any of you other woman are prepared and what you are working on, etc. Thanks!

Joy

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/07/08 02:02 AM

It's important to be prepared, it's just as important to practice and test your gear. Also read everything you can about wilderness survival. There's tons of stuff online that's really interesting and useful. I have a mesh back pack for each of my grandkids, they are very lightweight and cost less than $5.00 at wal-mart. I also picked up some handwarmers cheap, that I had to keep replacing cause no one else was ever prepared. I made each of them a FAK. Bought a pencil box just smaller than a cigar box about $1.00 and bought bandaids and stuff from the dollar store, less than $20.00 for all 3 FAKs. Got them a heat sheet and some light sticks, some comfort food and 2 bottles of water. They also have crank radios and shake flashlights and a small LED light and compass that clips to the outside of their bags. And the most important thing I gave them was lessons in what to do if they ever get seperated from me when we are out camping. Since just about everything is fenced here, their #1 rule is to never cross a fence. That would narrow the search area and make them easier to find. I spend alot of time teaching them things that will keep them safe. Nothing beats an education. I pretty much keep all my camping gear in my car along with a few tools. I also have a case of Ramen noodles under my back seat. As far as my purse goes I have a small FAK, multi tool, fixed blade knife,bandana, gum, nutri grain bar,2 extra bic lighters,heat sheet, handwarmers,and in a small cigar tube I have 3 trick birthday candles and some dryer lint, 2LED flashlights. I also have a small tube of hand sanitizer and 2-1 gallon zip loc bags. I always watch for trial sizes of things. The contents changes some when I change purses. Neosporin comes with a little case sometimes and you can get some bandaids a needle and some tweezers in the case with it. It fits on a keyring. I keep an extra mesh backpack rolled up in the glove box in case I have to leave my car for any reason.

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/07/08 04:56 AM

Hi Angel,

How old are your grandkids? My Grandson just turned 6 and I am starting to collect things for him now. He doesn't visit as often as I would like, but when he does I want to hike with him and teach him stuff just like you teach your grandkids. His Dad (my Son-in-law) is just now getting interested in this stuff after watching Les Stroud on TV. So that will help. The dollar store is a good idea!

I have most all the things you mentioned. I don't have the birthday candles, but I have read about them, so that is a good idea. I seem to have lost the bic lighter I had, so thank you for reminding me. I'll get another one.

I also keep some large plastic construction bags with me.

I have one daughter that is interested in being prepared for emergencies. I bought her an AMK first aid kit and will get her more stuff soon. She works with groups of people so I wanted to get her one that would work with several people.

My other duaghter is not interested at all and thinks I am silly to have gear in my car for emergencies. I cannot understand why anyone would think being prepared for emergencies is a silly idea! Amazing! She lives in an earthquake prone area, so she may change her mind after a few small quakes.

I agree with you about testing gear. There are some things in my husbands pack that I would like to test. I want to get him a better stove and cooking gear. But for now he has an Esbit Stove and fuel and a camping pot in case he ever has to hike home. We need to test the esbit stove like the guys have talked about on this forum. I bought him a Katadyn Xtreme water filter that I haven't tried yet either.

Thank you for sharing Angel!

Joy
Posted by: Susan

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/07/08 05:00 AM

Angel, for your grandkids there is the What-If Game. This is not just a 'tell them' game, you want to make them think. Let them give the first ideas, and LISTEN to what they say, how they're thinking. Their outlook of a situation and yours could be miles apart. Then guide their thinking with suggestions of what would be better. And they should be able to ask YOU WhatIf questions, too.

What if you came home from friend's house and no one was home?
What if you smelled smoke in the house?
What if the fire alarm went off?
What if you got lost at the mall/in the woods?
What if you couldn't wake up the babysitter?

This game can give you clues about what they're afraid of, how they're thinking, what they expect, etc. Be aware that much of what they think the world is like is from what they see on TV; they need to know that that isn't real.

There should be info here on the Hug-a-Tree Program. If you can't find it, ask; people here can direct you.

Their kits need to have contact information sealed inside it, maybe inside the lid. Also medical emergency info, any meds they're on, anything they're allergic to.

Sue

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/07/08 11:54 AM

Joy, I have a grandaughter that's 10 a grandson thats 10 and a grandaughter thats just turned 6. We play the what if game all the time. They all love it. To often these days, kids are talked at and not to. They all know how to use a compass and we have scavenger hunts where they find clues using a compass. They have all their contact info on a laminated card in their backpacks. One of the things we do also is when we get to a camping place, we will sit down together and draw a map of the area and it goes in their backpacks. Kids are alot smarter than most people give them credit for. I've taught them all how to fish and they have their own fishing gear and it's not the barbie stuff, they have the same stuff that I do. They know how to put hooks on and take their own fish off. They each have their own tents and know how to put them up by themselves. They keep their stuff all together and know how to use everything in their backpacks. My son and daughter are also the prepared types too so I don't worry so much about them. Last winter my son in law got snowed in at work and he spent a couple of really miserable nights at work. When he got home , my daughter and I geared him up so that would never happen again. Now he makes sure he has his "I'm stranded" box in his car. He said it makes a world of difference. Just remember that kids aren't born with skills but they love learning, and the more you teach them, the less you worry. My grandkids would rather hang out with me than play video games or watch t.v.

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/07/08 11:50 PM

You sound like a wonderful Grandma, Angel! Wow! What fun!. You must live close by your grandchildren. I live 2 1/2 hours from my grandson, so I don't get to see him as often as I would like. I am only just now starting to get my act together on getting him stuff and figuring out what I want to teach him. So the things you and Sue have shared with me will be helpful. I'll print out both of your suggestions and add them to my binder.

I also bookmarked some of the things the guys on this board have shared. So maybe the next time he comes to visit me I can play some of these things with him when we go hiking.

I bought some Boy Scout books for him and his dad and hope that they will use them and maybe even join the boyscouts. I got that idea from the guys on this forum. I printed out some ETS pages for Kids and got some books from REI. I homeschooled my own girls, so teaching children comes naturally to me. The scavenger hunts you play sound like a lot of fun!

I did share with him last weekend how he could use his whistle if he ever got lost. Then he ran into the other room and pretended he was lost and blew his whistle for me to find him! He was so cute! Kids are great. I can't wait to teach him more.

His other grandparents take him fishing, so I'll leave that for them!

I am not sure yet if my grandson will keep his stuff together like your grandchildren do, but I will encourage him to. That is one reason I have been waiting until he is older to give him the gear I am collecting for him. We will start playing the 'What if' game the next time I see him!

Joy

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/08/08 02:38 AM

I only live 3 miles from my grandkids so that makes it easy for me. They keep their gear together alot better than I thought they would. We do inventory checks all the time. They have a special place to keep their backpacks and playing the what if game does help alot. They have a pretty big back yard so we camp out in it alot and it's opened to all the neighborhood kids too. Needless to say my daughters house is the cool house in the neighborhood. At first I think our bug outs to the back yard was just looked at as me being the babysitter for the neighborhood, but I guess the kids went home with such good stories that at our last one most of the parents went home and got their tents too. It looked like tent city and everyone had a great time. We are preparing the neighborhood 1 kid at a time.
Posted by: DFW

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/08/08 03:51 PM

Here's one more female! I began here using a gender-neutral call sign because I assumed it would be all men, and I wasn't sure how I would be received. That says something about my own prejudices, I guess. Not to worry, though, I've learned a lot, and more experienced campers and emergency preparers have been nice about offering advice and answering questions.

Identifying weak spots in preparedness and working on them is important, and I'm told no one is ever "done" or completely satisfied with their preparations - there is always more to do, or something that can be done better.

That said, my latest weak spot is my EDC. Weird, since we women usually carry a bag, and don't have to rely on things small enough to fit into a pocket. I carry a small purse on purpose (ergonomics - to save the back) and I carry little that would be useful in an emergency situation. I think I have been relying too much on being able to access my car, and the kit there, if there is an emergency event while I am away from home. (I'm pretty well fixed for sheltering-in-place at home) We are going to be doing major construction at work soon, and there is talk of having us park at a different location and be shuttled back and forth to the building - suddenly, no access to car kit. So, I will be re-thinking that one and searching old threads here for ideas.

One of the most useful things I learned was the "layering" system. No bugout system is good if it's too heavy to carry - so I have a small backpack, a shoulder-strap-across-the-chest bag, and an even smaller shoulder bag, which I may switch out to a "fanny or belly" bag, and belt organizer. They can all be worn at once, and if needed, abandoned to the point of the smallest bag, which is my version of the essentials-survival kit.

You ladies are great - training your kids and grandkids early. Joy, as for the daughter who's not interested? Let her live through a "situation" with no preparations, and see how fast she gets interested!
Posted by: ChristinaRodriguez

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/08/08 04:31 PM

Congrats on being "Mother of the Bride," Joy! I applaud yours and Angel's efforts to teach the grandkids preparedness skills, too.

I've found that the contents of Doug's/AMK's PSK (modified with a few small extras) fits perfectly into my bright red Witz Keep-It-Clear case, which is what I use for my EDC. It comes with a lanyard and isn't too much bigger than a pack of cigarettes. I can switch that between purses (my preferred mode of carry) and even wear it around my neck if I had to. (DFW you may want to look into something like this.)

I'm still working on my husband's car kit, though, and the long-term preparedness is always a work-in-progress. In general the problem is finding the quality items I like on the cheap, and keeping everything organized/finding space for it all. My husband unfortunately does not keep the car as clean as I would like, and sometimes I just don't even want to look in the trunk!

And definitely add Blast's "Bad Dog" scenario to your "What If" game. He practices with his daughters all the time. Teaching kids the proper way to interact with strange dogs (not just attack situations) is so important and not something I see a whole lot of these days.

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/08/08 10:23 PM

Great to see more women joining in! Thank you all for your comments, suggestions and encouragement! I agree that there is "always more to do or can be done better." That is my situation for sure!

Angel, you are quite an inspiration to your grandchildren's neighborhood! That is so neat! It reminds me of our house when I was growing up. All the kids in the neighborhood came down the street to our house. We were always doing outdoor things and it was a lot of fun! Forts, hikes, picking huckleberries and making huckleberry pie. We collected Yerba Buena and made tea. I sure miss those years!

I think my EDC is also one of my weak spots. Like you I have different size bags, purses, etc. and I am always moving things from one bag to another and trying to figure out how to get as much emergency stuff into my smaller 'Eagle Creek' purse. I like to keep a few emergency water pouches with me, as well as a couple bars, first aid, multi-tool, meds, headlamp, duct tape, cell phone and cell phone charger, etc. - and that is all in a very small shoulder purse. So I have gone back to carrying a larger bag - even then I want to put more and more stuff in it and it gets too heavy, just like you were saying.

DFW, I can understand your being uncomfortable about having your car moved further away from you at work and not having access to it. How far is it going to be and for how long?

I think in your situation I might keep a box with the 'layer system' you talked about in it and then if you have to leave in an emergency, you would have it with you to either bug out or stay in place. The box is so that the others don't know what you have in it (if that is a problem). I don't know if you have a place at work to keep it though. And hopefully there would be enough room to keep other things in it too, like more food and water, etc. If that isn't possible, let us know and maybe we can think of some other better ideas.

Christina, some day I plan on getting Doug's AMK/PSK. I bought one for a gift last Christmas. I keep thinking it is geared more for emergency situations while hiking or camping. I have most of the kits stuff in my purse/bag already. But like others, I like checking out the contents and playing with them so I know what is there and how to use it. I put duct tape on a small pencil and I keep that in my bags, along with other things that are in Doug's.

I'll have to do a search to see how Blast plays his "Bad Dog" game. That is a great idea! Thank you for sharing it with me.

Well, I guess this is getting too long. Thank you for sharing everyone.

Joy

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/09/08 01:55 AM

I'm currently reviewing and revising my EDC. For now I EDC my organizer, cell phone, medication, first aid kit, Fox 40, EMT shears and other personal items.

For some situations I carry a larger bag which holds my 2D Mag-Lite, more first aid gear, cell phone charger and PSP.

In addition I often carry bottled water.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/09/08 02:01 AM

I live in Texas so I keep a case of water in my car at all times and I usually carry 2 bottles with me.

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/09/08 02:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Angel
I live in Texas so I keep a case of water in my car at all times and I usually carry 2 bottles with me.

There are many of us here who are from Texas.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/09/08 02:15 AM

I was in Takesass once, long long ago. But we will return...

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/09/08 02:34 AM

I used to carry a bottle of water, but I wanted something that could take the heat in my car and I wouldn't have to change it all the time.

I also keep bottled water in the car, covered to keep it cool. And I have emergency pouch water that can handle the heat (I keep it covered also).

I travel in the mountains a lot, so I like to have water up front with me. I have heard too many horror stories of people driving over cliffs and spending days in the car trapped with no food or water, or surviving on very little.

I need to get one of those tools that DR recommends, like the Res-Q-me. But I haven't been able to find them locally. My leatherman might be able to cut a seat belt, but I am not sure. I figure between the tools I do have, I should be able to get it cut!

Joy

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/09/08 02:39 AM

I never tired it but I hear EMT shears can cut through a seat belt.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/09/08 02:43 AM

On my car , I have a side pocket on the door, I keep a fixed blade knife clipped to that and I have a bag of cashews tucked in there too and 2 bottles of water in my center console. If i'm thirsty enough, I won't mind if its not cold.

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/09/08 02:50 AM

Quote:
I was in Takesass once, long long ago. But we will return...

And I'll meet you at the border with ice cold Shiner Bock!

Um, unless you enter through the western border. That's over twelve hours away.

-Blast

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/09/08 02:53 AM

You got it! Just don't bring any Lone Star, I have had that before, and was less then impressed. Might be a couple of years tho...

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/09/08 02:56 AM

"...My leatherman might be able to cut a seat belt, but I am not sure..."

Depends on the model. If it has a serrated blade, it will zip thru a seat belt, but be careful not to cut yourself. If only a straight blade, it will depend on how sharp it is. And again, be careful...

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/09/08 02:58 AM

"...I hear EMT shears can cut through a seat belt..."

They will. Not as fast as a good serrated blade, but they will make it thru. Been there, done that...
Posted by: tommyb

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/09/08 04:55 AM

RE: local sources.

As someone with very few good local sources for stuff... Amazon.com . I load things like the ResQme, heat sheets, mirrors, whistles, etc in my hold shopping cart, and whenever I need something to exceed the $25 free shipping limit, I move something from the hold area to the buy it area.

A problem with the ResQme device, it is about to drive me crazy not being able to test it on something! At least with the hammer-type device in my door pocket, I'm sure I can break a glass.

-Tommy

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/09/08 06:46 PM

My husband bought me the Juice Xe6 when he saw that I was interested in having my own Leatherman. It has 2 knife blades, one a straight edge and one serrated. And it has a saw. I hope that between the 3, I should be able to cut through a seat belt. http://www.leatherman.com/products/tools/xe6/default.asp

Tommy, thank you for the great tip! I will look into adding a Res-Q-me to an Amazon list. I think my husband has one. I usually buy my stuff from REI, but they don't carry the Res-Q-me.

As for trying it out, I wonder if you could stop at a wrecked car dealer to buy a cheap used seat belt to experiment on. My ex-husband used to go to these places all the time to get parts for his cars. I would often tag along and wander around. I told this to my current husband and he has since bought a few things from wrecked car lots too. Just a thought. Let me know if it works?

Joy

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/09/08 07:04 PM

Thank you OBG, I will try to remember to be careful if I ever have to cut a seat belt! Most likely I will never have to.

Joy
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/09/08 07:19 PM

Joy has the right idea.

Wrecker and 'pick a part' lots are great places to get stuff to test with. I've been planning on buying a side window or two to test out my ERT-1 with so I know what it feels like should I ever need to use it to break a window. I could easily do the same with a seat belt.

If you do though please buy the parts you destroy. It's very easy to just wander around and break windows and cut seat belts in a place like that...and that's vandalism.
Posted by: thseng

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/09/08 07:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Hacksaw
If you do though please buy the parts you destroy. It's very easy to just wander around and break windows and cut seat belts in a place like that...and that's vandalism.

I agree, but I'll bet there are some seatbelts that have already been cut when the victim was extracted. If you are on a first name basis with your local junkyard dog, ask him if you can play with one of these. DON'T do it without asking first because it would be tough to prove that it was cut already.

Windows are another story, if you break it you buy it.

If you aren't in a habit of wearing a seatbelt, do take a good look at the smashed windshields coated with blood and matted hair while you are there.
Posted by: nurit

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/09/08 08:14 PM

If you've tested the Res-Q-Me blade on a seatbelt, shouldn't you replace it with a new one? I ask because their website says:

"Is ResQMe good for more than one use?
Yes. ResQMe automatically reloads itself after being activated allowing for multiple uses. The blade, however, will become duller after each cut or slice, and we recommend replacing the tool after one use to keep the blade sharp."

That's why I haven't tested mine...

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/09/08 08:51 PM

Good point Nurit! Thank you for pointing that out. Maybe I will get 2, so I have one to play with!

Joy

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/09/08 09:06 PM

That's why I like my ERT-1. The blade can be sharpened with a diamond or ceramic rod.
Posted by: nurit

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/09/08 09:30 PM

Thanks for that info, Hacksaw. I like that the ERT-1 can be sharpened and has a pocket clip and even a built-in light.

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/09/08 09:36 PM

Hacksaw, I'll check into the ERT-1. I have seen it before - I had it saved in my favorites under car tools. It looks like REI doesn't carry it, though they carry other Benchmade products. http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=10105

My husband likes Benchmade and has an old Benchmade knife. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Joy

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/09/08 09:40 PM

I'm usually not a fan of gimmicky features but the LED light in the ERT-1 has bailed me out a few times. The batteries are tiny though so it's definately an emergency only feature.
Posted by: picard120

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/10/08 12:36 AM

you are the only woman who post frequently. Most members here are boys who like toys. women just aren't interested in gadgets smile
Posted by: picard120

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/10/08 12:45 AM

aren't you guys concern about toxic plastic compound exist in water bottle? I don't want to store water bottle in the car in hot weather. The toxic compound will leech from the plastic under high temperature.

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/10/08 12:50 AM

We keep some bottled water in the vehicle, "just in case." We usually have a small ice chest packed with ice and jugs of iced tea for topping off our glasses as we drive. If we should get stranded somewhere and really need that water, a little bit of that toxic stuff that might get into our system seems to be the lesser of two evils...

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/10/08 01:05 AM

Quote:
aren't you guys concern about toxic plastic compound exist in water bottle?

No. I figure if I'm drinking the 100+ liters of water each day for a year I'd need to get the dangerous concentrations bisphenol A then I have bigger problems.

-Blast

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/10/08 01:10 AM

I keep my water on ice and end up replacing it about once a week, more if i'm out fishing. I usually share it with anyone that looks like they may need it.

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/10/08 01:19 AM

Originally Posted By: picard120
Most members here are boys who like toys. women just aren't interested in gadgets smile

I have my first aid kits (ranging from a modified Pocket Medic in my EDC to several industrial kits), a first aid book and additional first aid gear. They wouldn't be considered toys, would they?

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/10/08 01:25 AM

My wife has lots of "boy toys," the Cold Steel Mini-Pal on her key ring for one. I have taught her eye, eye, throat enough that it probably shouldn't be called a toy tho...
Posted by: Paragon

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/10/08 01:35 AM

Originally Posted By: picard120
aren't you guys concern about toxic plastic compound exist in water bottle? I don't want to store water bottle in the car in hot weather. The toxic compound will leech from the plastic under high temperature.

I've never seen bottled water transported in a refrigerated trailer during the summer, so you can bet its already seen >130°F by the time it reaches your super market shelf.

Jim

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/10/08 02:42 AM

Picard, I like all kinds of camping gear, emergency gadgets and tools! I am not into knives and guns like the guys, but most of the other things I would love to have for my BOB's. My husband gave me a small knife I sometimes keep on my keychain. I want to get more gadgets for my keychains too.

As for water in hot cars - I bought some emergency water in pouches that can take hot temps that I keep just for emergencies.

Bottled water for regular use I rotate often. I keep both covered with blankets and stuff to keep it cool. The heat doesn't penetrate that far in if you keep it well covered. I check it often to make sure. So far so good.

Joy

Posted by: katarin

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/10/08 06:30 AM

Actually i like gadgets and toys smile
though lately new toys haven't been in the budget..
though going to a junk yard to get parts for stuff sounds like a plan smile

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/10/08 01:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Blast
Quote:
aren't you guys concern about toxic plastic compound exist in water bottle?

No. I figure if I'm drinking the 100+ liters of water each day for a year I'd need to get the dangerous concentrations bisphenol A then I have bigger problems.

-Blast

Don't forget the most important fact. There's no proof that BPA is harmful in the first place. Even for the people who work with pure BPA in powder form in manufacturing plants like where Nalgene type bottles are made, there have been no recorded effects due to exposure. Even in infants using baby bottles made with BPA, there's no proof that the BPA does them any harm...studies are ongoing so until they come back with conclusive proof that we're all going to turn into mutant freaks because BPA is similar to human hormones, I'll keep my bottles where they are.

For what it's worth, I'm trying to learn to live without my gadgets. I still like them...but I don't want to be reliant on them where skill would be sufficient. I'm re-reading Northern Bushcraft by Mors Kochanski. I've forgotten how much you can do with a knife, axe, and a pot...if you have the skills to back it up.
Posted by: frostbite

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/10/08 07:43 PM

I'm about as talkative in person as I am on the forum, which isn't much. I like gadgets, I tend to be more minimalistic and only buy what I feel is really needed and useful, but I like them just the same.
Posted by: wolf

Re: Am I the Only One? - 06/11/08 01:18 AM

I guess maybe I should have used the name shewolf, as wolf leaves gender a coinflip.

I've been here a while, but don't post very frequently - I do enjoy soakiing up all the good information everyone has to share, though.