Special request about cats

Posted by: Blast

Special request about cats - 06/03/08 12:10 PM

All,

This evening after I get home from work I will be taking my cat Oz to the vet to be put down.

Oz has been an amazing cat. I taught him how to do tricks like jump through a hoop and walk on his hind legs like a little Rory Calhoun. More importantly, he gave me the sign that adoption was the right way to grow our family.

Oz is not the cat that sent me to the emergency room, that was my wife's cat, which is still healthy and still annoying.

Anyway, could we just lay off the cat jokes for a while?

Thanks.
-Blast, who is losing a dear friend tonight.

Posted by: Russ

Re: Special request about cats - 06/03/08 12:37 PM

My condolences. Having lost a few cats (and dogs), I know the feeling.
Posted by: BillLiptak

Re: Special request about cats - 06/03/08 01:11 PM

My heartfelt well wishes go with you and yours Blast. Me and the misses have a small zoo of our own, and to us they are not merely pets, but our "children". I can think of nothing other than to say I'm sorry big guy, my prayers will be with you as you try to recover from the loss of a loved one.

-Bill Liptak
Posted by: nurit

Re: Special request about cats - 06/03/08 01:27 PM

I'm very sorry indeed, Blast. Heartfelt wishes for you and your family.

Nurit
Posted by: climberslacker

Re: Special request about cats - 06/03/08 01:38 PM

I'm very sorry! I have lost two cats in my life and one dog, I am very sorry that you have to do this, my heartfelt wishes go to you.

Jace
Posted by: dweste

Re: Special request about cats - 06/03/08 02:05 PM

Sorry I never met Oz. I, too, struggle when God decides he needs another good cat.
Posted by: KG2V

Re: Special request about cats - 06/03/08 02:24 PM

Blast,
It's hard to lose a member of the family, and a beloved pet IS a member of the family

No jokes, but a candle will be lit
Posted by: Dan_McI

Re: Special request about cats - 06/03/08 02:31 PM

My condolences. I know what it's like to lose a pet.
Posted by: Nishnabotna

Re: Special request about cats - 06/03/08 02:54 PM

Sorry.
Posted by: paramedicpete

Re: Special request about cats - 06/03/08 03:19 PM

No words can really help dampen the blow, but my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Pete
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Special request about cats - 06/03/08 03:49 PM

I can feel your pain, once having to put down Pinky, a cat I got when I was about three, doing it myself (not advisable by the way). You are doing the right thing, when their quality of life reaches a certain point that is all you can do...
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Special request about cats - 06/03/08 04:24 PM

You have my sympathy for your loss and my respect for letting your friend go in a peaceful manner. Bo
Posted by: Mike_H

Re: Special request about cats - 06/03/08 05:08 PM

Sorry to hear about your loss. I echo wildman's respect about knowing the right time to do this for him.
Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Re: Special request about cats - 06/03/08 05:33 PM

Before my cat Sunset disappeared in November, I was planning to have her cremated when she does die, have the ashes in a wooden box and place the box in a windowsill where she usually sleeps. Later, my sister Ellie suggested having her ashes mixed with potting soil and planting something as a living memorial. I thought that was a very good idea. However, because Sunset disappeared, I can't do that.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: Stu

Re: Special request about cats - 06/03/08 05:36 PM

Blast, you have a PM.
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: Special request about cats - 06/03/08 07:37 PM

Blast,

I will remember you and your family during this difficult time.

MoBOB
Posted by: librarian

Re: Special request about cats - 06/03/08 08:53 PM

I know how diffucult it is to put a pet to sleep; had to do that a few times myself. I will be thinking of you as I brush my cat tonight. Peace.
Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Re: Special request about cats - 06/03/08 09:44 PM

Blast,

Please accept both mine and Sue's sympathies. We have both been there and understand how difficult this can be. Beyond that, we almost lost our orange tabby Leo last night. He was at Kitty Camp while we were away and they screwed up big time (which we didn't discover until today). We arrived home from Blade Show to find him on death's door. Off to the Emergency Vet Clinic and some difficult hours. He's improving, but not out of the woods yet. Turns out the bastards never give him his insulin shots, and never called us, and their own vet ordered the shots withheld! They damn near killed him. The only solace is they are going to be paying for their incompetence and malpractice big time. I think the vet bill is already over $2000.

May the memories be for a blessing...
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Special request about cats - 06/03/08 10:26 PM

Isn't it crazy how we bond with these creatures? And they bond with us. Humans are pack animals, dogs definitely, and cats too in their way.

I've had to put down quite a few animal companions over the years, and I know how difficult it is. We lost a fine cat only a week ago, and the house still echoes with her absence.

Blast, I salute your courage in doing what's right for the animal, not what's convenient for you. FWIW, I hope someone steps up for me in the same way when all hope is gone.

Like _YoDuh, I raise my glass ... to our fine companions and to owners who really give a d@amn.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Special request about cats - 06/03/08 10:28 PM

I'll drink to that.
Quote:
... to our fine companions and to owners who really give a d@amn
Posted by: big_al

Re: Special request about cats - 06/03/08 10:39 PM

I am truley sorry to hear about your cat. may I also offer this to your famley.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Posted by: AROTC

Re: Special request about cats - 06/04/08 01:24 AM

"They have cradled you in custom, they have primed you with their preaching,
They have soaked you in convention through and through;
They have put you in a show case; you're a credit to their teaching--
But can't you hear the Wild? -- it's calling you.
Let us probe the silent places, let us seek what luck betides us;
Let us journey to a lonely land I know.
There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us,
And the Wild is calling, calling...let us go."
Robert Service - The Call of the Wild

If we can't grieve for our pets we don't deserve the title of human, nor if we can't help them go peacefully when its their time. I'm sorry for your loss.

Re: Special request about cats - 06/04/08 03:12 AM

Originally Posted By: big_al
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Thank-you for your words. That is the most meaningful thing I have heard on this subject in I don't know how many years.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Special request about cats - 06/04/08 03:22 AM

Originally Posted By: AROTC
If we can't grieve for our pets. . . .

My cat Sunset has been missing since November and it is only very recently that I have done so. frown

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Special request about cats - 06/04/08 03:38 AM

To all of you, thank you.

To those who are luckily enough to know the love of a pet followed the pain of his/her loss, I hold you in my heart.

Oz fought the effects of the drugs. He wouldn't close his eyes. He wouldn't fall asleep. But in the end even a heart like his couldn't keep beating. He died in my arms, which was as it should be.

He lays now under a wax-myrtle bush. It's leaves smell like vanilla. It's a good place to rest.

Oz, my little buddy.

-Blast
Posted by: TheOGRE

Re: Special request about cats - 06/04/08 05:40 AM

I've had to go thru only having to put down one pet, my dog back when I was in college (Norwegian Elkhound with bad hips). My dad went with me to help me thru it. We went thru a fifth of bourbon that day.

I know how ya feel blast.

OGRE
Posted by: Paul D.

Re: Special request about cats - 06/04/08 06:41 AM

Blast, I'm sorry to hear that. I've "been there and done that" and it was terrible. Now that time has passed I just remember what an incredible little cat mine was. Time does not heal all wounds, but it makes them more bearable.

Take care,
Posted by: TheSock

Re: Special request about cats - 06/04/08 07:19 AM

You feel they can never be replaced. And you are right. But getting another cat really is a good idea. You'll feel differently when you see the kittens.
The Sock
Posted by: Stu

Re: Special request about cats - 06/04/08 01:34 PM

I'm sorry about your missing friend.
Stu
Posted by: KG2V

Re: Special request about cats - 06/04/08 05:11 PM

Oz was a good looking cat.

Sigh - my 2 are getting OLD, Coquette is 18, Tux is 16. I make sure before I leave the house I always give them a little "extra" attention.
Posted by: Kris

Re: Special request about cats - 06/04/08 05:41 PM

Originally Posted By: kc2ixe
...I make sure before I leave the house I always give them a little "extra" attention.

I do the same with my two; Chicken (she came with that name) and
Molly (spca rescue). They get their pat's, some scratches, and a tummy rub.
Posted by: Xterior

Re: Special request about cats - 06/04/08 06:39 PM

I'm verry sorry and understand your loss. I've lost pets before, but I will never forget each one.
Posted by: CJK

Re: Special request about cats - 06/05/08 12:50 AM

You are in our thoughts......as will be Oz.

Our best to you all.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Special request about cats - 06/05/08 01:24 AM

Nothing we'll say can fill the void... I'm sorry man.

You know how to get ahold of me other than here if you want to talk.

Re: Special request about cats - 06/05/08 12:19 PM

Thanks again everyone. I'm feeling better about it. I know he's in a better place.

Ten years ago my old hunting dog had to be put down. The vet did the job and then we had her cremated (dog, not vet ;)). Later that day I was standing in the kitchen when suddenly it was filled with the smell of wet dog and I felt a beautiful joy. To do this day I'm convinced Tina (my dog) came back from where ever she had gone to let me know she was happy and I did the right thing.

Animals may not go to heaven, but they go somewhere and it's a good place.

-Blast
Posted by: Paragon

Re: Special request about cats - 06/08/08 11:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Blast
Animals may not go to heaven, but they go somewhere and it's a good place.

I'd like to think that they do, as I've had several very special friends throughout my life that I look forward to seeing once again some day.

Having to make the decision to relieve the pain of one that you love is one of the hardest things that we will ever do. The void and mental anguish that you feel right now will gradually diminish, yet your positive memories of OZ shall remain.

Jim