commute by bicycle or motor scooter?

Posted by: picard120

commute by bicycle or motor scooter? - 05/24/08 11:05 PM

Has anyone start commuting by bicycle or motor scooter?

I am starting to commuting by bike since gas cost is horrendous.
Posted by: bws48

Re: commute by bicycle or motor scooter? - 05/24/08 11:21 PM

I am seeing a lot more scooters on the roads around here. I considered it for my commute, but ran the numbers and don't see a pay off. In my case, the commute is 7.5 miles one way, 15 a day. I assumed I could commute on the scooter 90 days a year (good weather, a big assumption), scooter cost of $1000, and gas cost of 5.00/gallon, and 100 mpg for the scooter. Even at a 20 mpg for my car (I get around 23), it takes 3.7 years to save the cost of the scooter in saved gas. Doesn't seem worth it for me.
Different assumptions will give different results. YMMV.
Posted by: BobS

Re: commute by bicycle or motor scooter? - 05/25/08 03:23 AM

Won’t work for me, I clean carpet for a living, no way can I get all that on a bicycle, heck I have enough trouble getting it all in a minivan.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: commute by bicycle or motor scooter? - 05/25/08 04:19 AM

Don't forget to factor in the cost of insurance and reg for the scooter. I went thru the same thing back in the late '70's with a gas crunch, and came to the same conclusion, it just don't pay off...
Posted by: Nishnabotna

Re: commute by bicycle or motor scooter? - 05/25/08 10:59 AM

It makes me wish we had public transportation around here though.
Posted by: EHCRain10

Re: commute by bicycle or motor scooter? - 05/25/08 02:28 PM

Im a college student and use my bike to commute to classes but its only about a mile one way.
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: commute by bicycle or motor scooter? - 05/25/08 02:47 PM

and you will be in good shape!

teacher
Posted by: James_Van_Artsdalen

Re: commute by bicycle or motor scooter? - 05/25/08 05:24 PM

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99

For years the state has been trying to get elevated rail subway style transit

"Elevated" "subway" systems are generally extremely expensive to build and operate, perhaps the most expensive approach, though it does look elegant in artists' drawings. It's not surprising that those who don't have to pay for it like such systems but that those who would foot the bill are less enthusiastic...

In many of the areas of the US the problem is low population density and lack of centralization - there isn't a any "downtown" to concentrate the workers. It's not that hard to move workers to and from dispersed suburbs to the big factory in town but in a city like Houston with no central work area and spread out over more than 3,000 square miles it's a lot harder to come up with a system useful to very many people.
Posted by: James_Van_Artsdalen

Re: commute by bicycle or motor scooter? - 05/25/08 05:45 PM

Originally Posted By: EHCRain10
Im a college student and use my bike to commute to classes but its only about a mile one way.

The most important factor to middle class Americans in choosing where to live is the quality of schools because of their children.

Another difference in post-college living is that two-worker families are the norm and it's not always practical to live close to both jobs, even if the local schools aren't an important choice in home location: one of them probably going to wind up too far away from work for a bicycle.

I advocate fixing urban schools rather than exotic mass transit systems to best way to address commute problems. In many areas of the US suburban parents would consider moving into the urban school district a form of child endangerment. Making cities more attractive to live in would get more people to live near their jobs, and fixing the schools is the place to start. It doesn't solve everything (see two-worker families above) but it would make a big difference.
Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Re: commute by bicycle or motor scooter? - 05/25/08 06:52 PM

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Originally Posted By: Nishnabotna
It makes me wish we had public transportation around here though.

Bingo! You hit the nail on the head. They really need more public and mass transportation across this country. My city, DeLand has about 25,000 people. We've got a really good County run Votran Bus system. It's a mainline type system that doesn't go onto side streets, but down main and major roadways and a lot of people take advantage of it. Sadly here "normal" people don't take it because the people who take the Votran are usually sex offenders and psychiatric patients who ride for free (Yep...free) and make the atmosphere very dangerous.

For years the state has been trying to get elevated rail subway style transit to run from the surrounding counties into Orlando and around Orlando. As I understand it it took them ten years to approve how much to spend and every time they go to approve when to begin no one shows up to vote. Most likely because the "Speed Pass" people tell them not to vote on it. Speed Pass being this RF Tag you put into your car so you can go through toll booths and billed later, but they're finding out the Speed Pass people are ripping everyone off under the table.

If you are able, get involved! City council meetings, city council workshop meetings, different board meetings. My city council woman knows me by name. I live in a major metropolitan area where we already have a transportation system and our city council wants it expanded. Some businesses are for it, some against. I know who is for it and who is against so I "vote" with my my bank card. I encourage others to do the same.

There are some buses I don't get on, meaning the ones which goes through the bad parts of town. And while the system needs some improving there are still opportunities to save on gas and "contribute" to the fare box, which is another way to "vote."

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: Stokie

Re: commute by bicycle or motor scooter? - 05/27/08 07:43 AM

Until I took a new job my work was only 2km from my home so I often cycled or walked. Now I'm 27km away, too far for me to bike and the way the French drive damn near suicidal on a scooter.

The transport system is very good, it's just the people and how many use it that put me off taking it regularly. We've all seen video's of Japans transport system were people are employed to squeeze, push and crush passengers on to the trains in rush hour, well Paris ain't far behind and summertime is just murder. I'll take my car thanks.

Posted by: M_a_x

Re: commute by bicycle or motor scooter? - 05/27/08 01:59 PM

Because of that I decide to go by bicycle several years ago. I have an office job that mainly consists of pushing around a mouse. I use it in almost every weather (streets covered with snow and ice are the only exception). I felt much better after a really short time and I get a parking space real quick and close to the office. On the downside I don´t get the annual sick leave for the usual bad cold. So far I´m willing to cope with that. Those who get it don´t seem to enjoy the days off anyway.
Posted by: RogerC

Re: commute by bicycle or motor scooter? - 05/27/08 10:40 PM

While I don't know your area, it is an unfortunate reality that public transportation systems are generally not viable in the United States. Many look at Europe as a great example of how to make public trans work. Most however do not realize:
1. Europe has over twice the population density of the United States.
2. European governments heavily subsidize public transportation systems through high taxes personal taxes and then encourage the use of the public systems by lower fares (that are lowered because you have already been forced to subsidize the systems).
3. European governments discourage personal transportation use through high taxes on gasoline.

So you want a good public transportation system? Then ask for and elect a government that will take your money, put it into the public system, and then further tax you to encourage you to use it.

As for the bike/scooter question, my commute is along 4 lane byways that I would not feel safe using either to travel along.

Roger
Posted by: bat69

Re: commute by bicycle or motor scooter? - 05/28/08 12:12 AM

I've considered it, but my commute to work is 17 miles each way. And over half of that is on a Miami Expressway called the "palmetto" which tranlates into: Very Scary Road Where People Die. (or VSRWPD for short)

And When I crunched the numbers it just didn't add up. I would wind up spending at least 5k on a "scooter" that could keep me at interstate speed, add in the insurance cost and I would be better off just driving the ol' jeep every day ( and it's paid for )
Posted by: ChristinaRodriguez

Re: commute by bicycle or motor scooter? - 05/28/08 01:34 AM

God, I want a Vespa like you wouldn't believe. I don't "need" one of course, since I work from home, live within walking distance to just about everything I need, and the winters here in MN would render it useless for nearly half the year. But every summer when I hear the buzzing swarm of other people's scooters, or when I see my neighbors take theirs out of storage, I just want one even more.
Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Re: commute by bicycle or motor scooter? - 05/28/08 02:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Christina
God, I want a Vespa like you wouldn't believe. I don't "need" one of course, since I work from home, live within walking distance to just about everything I need, and the winters here in MN would render it useless for nearly half the year. But every summer when I hear the buzzing swarm of other people's scooters, or when I see my neighbors take theirs out of storage, I just want one even more.

I glanced at your art blog and I must say I am impressed. As for the scooter, if you can afford it, why not?

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: Loganenator

Re: commute by bicycle or motor scooter? - 05/28/08 02:26 PM

Yep,

DW and I sold our car and we do all our commuting, grocery shopping and traveling by bike, rail or bus now. I will be renting a car this weekend to go see family but the rental rates are cheap. $13.50/day for 3 days is lot better than my car payment was. Especially when we only use a car about one weekend every 5 weeks for visiting. Anticipating my travels this weekend I winced when I saw the price of gas on my bike this morning. Gasoline at $4.18/gallon and Diesel at $5.09/gallon.

At least the price of crude dropped yesterday wink.

Cheers,
Posted by: Blast

Re: commute by bicycle or motor scooter? - 05/28/08 02:31 PM

Quote:
God, I want a Vespa like you wouldn't believe.

I'm suddenly picturing you as Audrey Hepburn in "Roman Holiday". What a great movie.

Sidenote: if you do decide to get one PLEASE take a motorcycle riders safety class and always wear a helmet (there are some really attractive helmet available nowdays).

Sidenote #2: Check out here for some AMAZING customized scooters. They are incredible, though I still think a classic Vespa would suit you the best.

-Blast
Posted by: Dan_McI

Re: commute by bicycle or motor scooter? - 05/28/08 02:47 PM

Instead of a Vespa, you might think about a Stella. A Stella really is a Vespa with a few modifications. I think it's made in India. A comparision of their specs: http://www.provoscooter.com/px150/stellavspx.htm

More info: http://www.genuinescooters.com/scooters/stella/stella.html
Posted by: unimogbert

Re: commute by bicycle or motor scooter? - 05/28/08 04:22 PM

Long ago and far away before dotcom bust and offshored manufacturing I rode a 350cc motorcycle the 4 miles each way to work from April thru October. 75 mpg for 17 years.

Now I drive another 47 miles past that place to go to my new career. The route is vastly unsuited for motorcycle or scooter travel.

Oh well.
Posted by: Mike_H

Re: commute by bicycle or motor scooter? - 05/28/08 04:24 PM

If I worked closer to work, I would bike in a second. As it is, takes me 30 mins to get in to work.

Not too often that I work at a client near enough for me to take advantage of something like that.
Posted by: ChristinaRodriguez

Re: commute by bicycle or motor scooter? - 05/28/08 09:35 PM

Jeanette, thanks for the compliments on my art!

Blast, I most certainly would wear a helmet. The helmet my dad wore when he was the victim of a hit-and-run while riding his bike to work pretty much saved his brain.

Dan, I think the pink Stellas are awfully cute. Definitely an option to consider!
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: commute by bicycle or motor scooter? - 05/29/08 03:20 AM

I agree with Blast's "Roman Holiday" reference and the training.
Posted by: picard120

Re: commute by bicycle or motor scooter? - 05/30/08 09:12 PM

There is a sharp increase of Americans using scooter / bikes for commuting to work.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/05/30/finding.alternatives.ireport/index.html

CNN news shows Americans from different walks of life choosing scooter as alternative form of transportation.