Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York

Posted by: MartinFocazio

Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York - 05/06/08 08:06 PM

Spotted this tidbit in a NYC Newspaper yesterday (click on the image to enlarge it):

If you can't read it, here's some key excerpts:

Wouldn't every straphanger want to carry a 3.5" flashlight, a 7" prybar, a metal whistle and a towlette to remove dirt, along with a disposable anti-fog mask?

That's what Bensonhurst resident David Ruggerio thought when he invented the Subvivor Subway Safety Kit last year. He was so confident in his invention that he placed an order for 10,000 with the manufacturer and promoted with a web site that reminded prospective customers of such events as the 1987 escalator fire at a London Underground Station that killed 31 people - and 9/11.

"I thought we were going to sell out the first week," said Ruggerio who works in the security industry....but Ruggerio has only sold a few hundred....

...for many New Yorkers, carrying an extra 12 ounces is, perhaps, too much. Octavia Green, 28, of the Bronx, thought the kit was only for "anal" people.
"Why would you need a crowbar to get out of a train and onto a track?" she asked. "You wouldn't know where you are. It's like a catch-22, you'd kill yourself trying to save yourself."

And down at the bottom, here's the newspapers suggested EDC - no I'm not making this up, look for yourself:
  • Hand Sanitizer
  • TranStrap - a portable strap that hooks to the bar so you don't have to touch it.
  • Mini-Fan
  • Almonds
  • Book
  • iPhone

You can't make this stuff up folks.
In case you're wondering, my NYC EDC is basic, basic - flashlight, whistle, bandanna, water, mobile phone and SAK or Leatherman tool - that's always on my person. I have some more stuff in the backpack (FAK, a few more tools, batteries) and that's with me when I'm on the subway.

Posted by: Paul810

Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York - 05/06/08 09:13 PM

Most people don't care, don't want to inconvenience themselves, or just don't think it's "cool." On one hand, that's an advantage for those of us who take the time and effort to prepare ourselves. On the other hand, it's a disadvantage, because we're the ones who often have to help the less prepared.

All in all, sometimes you just have to do what you think is right and let other people do what they think is right.
Posted by: horizonseeker

Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York - 05/06/08 09:13 PM

if he did this right after 9/11, yes, he'd be sold out within a week, but now the memory is hazy, life goes on and he should have done some basic market research before placing that huge order.
Posted by: LED

Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York - 05/06/08 09:42 PM

Sad I even have to ask but, is a 7" emergency prybar legal in the subway? I'd think if there were some type of bag screening going on they'd confiscate it anyway, no?
Posted by: Russ

Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York - 05/06/08 09:57 PM

Market research would have been wise. I carry much of what Martin listed although I carry most of it in the backpack. In my pockets are things that I might need right now. The water can wait a bit; the FAK is usually for somebody else too so by definition that can wait wink but in my Mission Wallet is a 1xAAA LED flashlight (when the lights go out you need a flashlight right now), an SAK Spartan (when a bottle of wine needs opening. . .), a Leatherman Squirt E4 and a couple aspirin. My change purse carries small bills, coins and an SAK Classic. Cell phone is on my belt and sunglasses are on my face.

The backpack carries a lot of gear including a LM Charge TTi, Ritter RSK Mk1, a 4xAA LED flashlight, a GPS, spare AA & AAA batteries, a good FAK in a clear vinyl zip top bag, a clean cotton gym towel, a Small REI MultiTowel and a liter of water. I haven't seen a need to carry a pry bar although I keep one behind the seat of my truck with the fire extinguisher and serious FAK. The extra room in the backpack is reserved for whatever else I decide to take that day.

My guess is that a lot of folks in NYC don't do anything but answer a phone and go to lunch so the idea of carrying tools and being prepared to use them is alien. What's the FDNY for but to rescue me (it's all about me) when a disaster strikes. Why get out of a train when I can just sit in the dark and read my book waiting for somebody in charge to tell me what to do. 9-11 is so 2001

Posted by: BobS

Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York - 05/07/08 01:58 AM

There will always be people that don’t worry about “what if” and also always expect a support network to be on hand if ever needed.

Katrina should have told everyone this is not so and they may be on their own for several days or more.

Nothing you can really do to convince them to have even the simplest form of a kit with them. Just do what you feel you must for yourself and hope you are ready if anything happens, and let them fend for themselves.
Posted by: picard120

Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York - 05/07/08 02:28 AM

well, NY public will pay the price when the next disaster strikes. they have already forgotten 9/11.
Posted by: KG2V

Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York - 05/07/08 04:02 AM

some of us are prepared. Just wish my health was better. If I had to walk home like I did during the blackout - hahahahahahahahaha - I'm lucky if I can hobble a block or 2, which is partly why I spend the outragious prices to drive (and the fact that if I walk more than about 2 blocks, the next day will have me laying in bed screaming - and not in a good way wink )
Posted by: Polak187

Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York - 05/07/08 01:01 PM

Martin,

And this article as well as this guy's "failure" surprised you? NYC has shorter attention span to disasters than 3 week old puppy. If it is not free or hip NYCers don't want it. NYC will always be unprepared due to ignorance of its residents. No motivation or pre-emptive thinking is our signature move. We want handouts and someone else to care for us. 90% of sick people I come in contact with don't even have basic food/med supplies. Well they can afford a 60inch plasma TV but no medicine for their asthma. Trip to the hospital that could have been avoided by taking a tylenol ($5) turns into a 12 hr adventure with ambulance ride and hospital bill curtesy of tax payer and the city. Now NYC puts an importance scale on their call type for police and ems response. Now people learn to say the right thing. I say armed robbery and cops are there in 2 minutes. You say car break in and it takes them 5 hours. I say chest pain and get dual response under 10 min. You say sick and it takes me 20-30 min and priority is falling. Emergency Services and city gov't are NYC residents' backup and disater plan. But it's not necessary people fault. It's also the city that gives away stuff for free and maintains people on welfare making them dependent on the system. I'm hot - take me to ER with AC. I'm hungry - take me to ER with food. I'm thirsty - give me water. But than again natural selection in case of disaster maybe wouldn't be that bad. Maybe my rant machine went off for a bit there but it's true. NYC commuters and residents are more interested in portable fans and iphones than water and flashlight.

Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York - 05/07/08 01:06 PM

Hey Matt, don't hold back, tell us how you really feel wink
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York - 05/07/08 01:09 PM

And that is also true of most of the folks in the rest of the good ole U S of A!!!
Posted by: Tjin

Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York - 05/07/08 01:30 PM

it's not just the US, but i quess most of the western world. I quess we are to safe to really prepare for disasters.

In The Netherlands, prepardness is even less. The govermant has started to promote prepardness, but with little succes. And we are not talking mayor prepardness.

The list of basic items by the Dutch goverment is:"
- A FM radio, with batteries
- Flashlight
- First Aid kit
- Matches in a waterproof containter.

On the addition items list:
- Prescription medicine
- cash, importent papers
- Spare keys
- maps / phonenumbers
- 3L water per person, per day
- 3 days worth of food
- hygiene stuff.

Really basic in all, yet i have yet to find somebody that actually has these things with prepardness in mind. And i don't just know a lot of normal people, i work in the emergency and safety business.
Posted by: Jesselp

Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York - 05/07/08 01:34 PM

My NYC EDC for commuting from Brooklyn to Manhattan by subway in a suit and tie:

On self / in pockets / on belt:
Keys
Blackberry
Fox 40 Whistle (on keychain)
Small Buck folding knife (on quick release on key chain)
Fenix P3D flashlight
Watch
Wallet with ID, credit cards, and never less than $20
Rain gear / umbrella as appropriate

In briefcase (messenger bag type):
N95 dustmask
Spare CR123 batteries
Paper, pens, pencils
Lunch
Wind-up emergency AM/FM radio with built in flashlight

At work:
Running shoes and change of clothes
Two Nalgene type water bottles, as well as commercial bottled water in my desk
Additional N95 dust masks
Company provided emergency kit with:
Battery powered AM/FM radio
Chemical light sticks
"juice box" water
Space blanket
Cheap flashlight
Latex gloves

My thougts are that in most any emergency my first concern will be to get myself out of the subway or highrise office building where I am, followed by walking home. The walk shouldn't take more than a couple of hours (even in work shoes), so huge amounts of food and water are unnecessary. I'd have to choose between one of three bridges, though I suppose if it got really bad I could walk through the Battery tunnel as well. (Heck, I've even mapped out a route home walking through the subway tunnels if I had to stay below ground the whole way, but it would have to be REALLY BAD before I tried that one!) At home I have substantial resources for sheltering in place and keepng my family safe and comfortable, so getting there is the primary goal.

Do I have everything I could conceivably need? No
Do I have reasonable resources available to me that I am unlikely to find overly inconvenient to keep around? I think so
Do I have more than nearly everyone around me? Absolutely.

Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York - 05/07/08 01:56 PM

Jesselp,
Why did you choose the "Wind-up emergency AM/FM radio with built in flashlight"? It seems to me a standard battery powered AM/FM radio would have enough battery life to get you home. The windup radios I've seen were all more geared toward the long term. A standard radio should save you both weight and space in your messenger bag. Add a SAK Handyman to make up the weight savings wink
Posted by: Jesselp

Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York - 05/07/08 02:27 PM

Russ,

Well, they came in a pack of two at Costco. Rather than buy something else, I figured I'd put one in my bag.

Truth is, I've not been impressed with the things, and will probably be replacing them soon. I've had them for about a year, and they no longer hold a charge for the light. You need to keep turning the handle to get the light to work.

I don't think I'll be buying a new SAK for my bag, but I've toyed with the idea of tossing my Leatherman Charge Ti in the bag, however it was an anniversary gift from my wife, and I'm a bit scared I'll lose it smile

JLP

Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York - 05/07/08 05:15 PM

If the LM Charge Ti was a gift, all the more reason to carry an expendable in the bag. The SAK Spartan is fairly inexpensive and not too threatening if that's an issue.

As for a radio/light combo that doesn't hold a charge -- dump it, dump it now. Don't waste your energy lugging it if it doesn't work. A cheap Sony AA. . .wait a sec while I check Amazon. . .will set you back ~$10 plus shipping and it works on very common AA batteries. Something to consider would be to get a flashlight that also runs on AA batteries such as the Fenix L2D or L2T so you only need one set of spares. Just a thought, yours to carry.
Posted by: ChristinaRodriguez

Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York - 05/07/08 05:34 PM

This article depresses me, but doesn't surprise. I think the short memory span is just part of being human and flawed.
Posted by: DaveT

Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York - 05/07/08 09:29 PM

Jesselp - you're doing a lot better than the majority, I'm sure. I'd say Russ has some very good suggestions.
If you don't want to order online, you probably pass street vendors or electronics stores with even cheaper and/or smaller radio versions - something with earbuds so you can listen on the move. I was very glad to have one in the '03 blackout - news reports on WNYC (1010 WINS was knocked out by the power outage) started explaining the scope of the outages, so I could convince some people still waiting on the subway platform that there wasn't going to be a "next" train that day.
Also, you might want to consider a small Nalgene, like a .5-liter, with water on you. Something you won't break, something you can refill as you walk (unlike the "juice box). The blackout was also a hot day, and it was a long walk home for me (and I was already in Brooklyn...adding Manhattan to the walk would not have been fun).

Dave
Posted by: Polak187

Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York - 05/07/08 10:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Russ
Hey Matt, don't hold back, tell us how you really feel wink

That would be a perfect way to get banned smile
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York - 05/07/08 10:46 PM

I think it's unfair to single out New Yorkers...there are people like this everywhere and I see my fair share every day.

Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York - 05/07/08 10:58 PM

I'd agree with that, Jesselp has put much thought into his situation.

Along the lines of water, consider a small backpack to carry stuff for the walk home. I don't know the specifics of your messenger bag, but if you need to walk home a backpack might be a better option. Then again, maybe a messenger bag is the best option in NYC. Does it have room for carrying water for the walk to your home? A couple of the new Camelbak models are bottle based rather than using a bladder for water -- I kinda like the Camelbak Sutra. I prefer to drink from a bottle than from a tube, but that's a personal preference thing.

Right now my get home backpack is a Camelbak Alpine Explorer. It's set up as a minimalist overnight pack. I have a 25 mile walk, so if TSHTF and a big earthquake out here tears up the roads or knocks down a certain bridge. . . For water I use a bottle but I have the bladder to carry additional water for the walk. Actually in the summer I might wait for the sun to go down. . . Naah, most likely I'll just hang out with my truck (food, tent, sleeping bag, camp stove, et al) and wait for the dust to settle. No need to become another casualty along the road.
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York - 05/07/08 11:38 PM

Quote:
It's like a catch-22, you'd kill yourself trying to save yourself.

Wow, this is pretty depressing. All the gadgets and the kit in the world at the end of day means very little anyway if the Will To Live (WTL) is not there in the first place. frown

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuqyN9wWthU

Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York - 05/08/08 08:05 AM

Thing is, NYC Transit ACTIVELY drills into the passengers "Do Not leave the train without the assistance of the train crew or rescue personel" - Fire? Move to the next car, don't hit the emergency brake - Medical? Wait till the next station - etc etc/ "The Tracks are more dangerious and you are better off waiting in the train"

The NYCTA is probably HAPPY this kit failed

Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York - 05/08/08 09:14 AM

Originally Posted By: kc2ixe
Thing is, NYC Transit ACTIVELY drills into the passengers "Do Not leave the train without the assistance of the train crew or rescue personel" - Fire? Move to the next car, don't hit the emergency brake - Medical? Wait till the next station - etc etc/ "The Tracks are more dangerious and you are better off waiting in the train"

The NYCTA is probably HAPPY this kit failed

Actually I think in most cases that’s good. Touching the third rail is lethal, so when passengers just pull the emergency brakes and brake out, this will be a hazard. Even rescue personnel, won’t accesses these places without having the power switched off first.

When there is fire, you really don’t want to stop in the middle of a tunnel. It allows little accesses to those who want to flee and the rescue personnel to enter. Stopping at a station will allow passengers to exit the train much quicker and allows fire-fighters to put out the fire quicker and more easily. Although the advantages vary depending on the design of the stations. I’m not familiar with the trains in the US, but carriages should contain the fire long enough to stop at a appropriate location.

Same story for the medical problems, EMT can easily enter stations, but tracks are a totally different story. EMT’s will generally be quicker on the scene when the patient is at a station.

Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York - 05/08/08 11:10 AM

I'm not saying that drilling folks not to go into a tunnel isn't a good thing, and most things they say make sense - MOST of the time

I'm just saying that it puts the ridership in the "just sit there, listen to your iPod, and read a book, and you'll be OK" mindset, and that anything else is "anal"

I know the folks on the train I was on during the blackout were happy I had a flashlight (Got lucky, my train was actually IN Times Square Station)

Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York - 05/08/08 12:56 PM

So how hard is it to open the doors when the train system loses power? IMO a good flashlight is a top priority for any kit in the city.
Posted by: Susan

Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York - 05/08/08 04:58 PM

I keep hearing about the 'third rail'. So, which rail is it? Is it the one farthest to the right when you're facing the same way the train is facing?

Do people who routinely ride the trains KNOW which is the third rail?

Sue
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York - 05/08/08 05:11 PM

I have been told that it is the center rail, but don't know for sure...

Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York - 05/08/08 05:15 PM

I always thought center rail also, the two outer rails being for the wheels.

Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York - 05/08/08 05:27 PM

It's on one side OR the other, depends - switches back and fort (there is no center rail) - it looks different, and usually has a wood/fibreglass cover over it (up about 4" or so) - it's WIDER than a regular rail too

In the city subway, it's 600 Volts (660 actually - I think) and at least used to be 25Hz (think it still is)

Interestingly - the communter trains around here are also 3rd rail - Now the LIRR has "top shoe" 3rd rail - like the subways - aka the "shoe" (which is on both sides of the car - and BTW both sides are hot - they are connected together) rides on TOP of the 3rd rail, but Metro North has Bottom Running 3rd rail - the rail is suspended, and the shoe slides on the BOTTOM of the 3rd rail - each as it's advantages

if you look at this photo - the 3rd rail is up aginst the wall (in stations, they try to put the rail away from the platform, so that in case someone does fall, and someone tries to pull them up, there is no 3rd rail to step on)

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?54488

Posted by: Arney

Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York - 05/08/08 05:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Susan

I think most regular NYC subway riders would know what the third rail is. You spend a lot of time staring it from the platform waiting for the next subway.

But, would you know it walking in a dark tunnel? That's the real question. It would be very easy to accidentally kick the third rail with your toe as you stumbled around in the dark/semi-dark. The cover only shields it from above.

Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York - 05/08/08 05:40 PM

The "Third Rail" in the NYC Subway system is a rail carrying 600 Volts, DC. The rail can be on either side of the main tracks, as there are pickup "shoes" as they are called on both sides of the train.

The main tracks are also a conductor, serving as the "ground" to the 3rd rails "hot" (think home wiring - the third rail is the black wire, the tracks are the white wire).

Here's an illustration I made to show how it works:

The current from the third rail powers all functions of the train.

The third rail itself is only slightly guarded from accidental contact through the installation of a wooden insulating plank mounted above the rail.

This system is also used by the Long Island Rail Road and hundreds of other systems.

see more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3rd_rail

Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York - 05/08/08 06:00 PM

The train here has no rail. It has arms which reach up to cables suspended from the top of the tunnel like a trolley car. Makes the above ground parts of the route much safer for passers by I imagine.

Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York - 05/08/08 06:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Russ
So how hard is it to open the doors when the train system loses power? IMO a good flashlight is a top priority for any kit in the city.

Actually it depends on the kind of train. Most models in service can be opened with the emergency release swith, but not all. But if a traincrash happend, doors may not be usefull because of damage, or when the train is on it's side.

Originally Posted By: Susan
I keep hearing about the 'third rail'. So, which rail is it? Is it the one farthest to the right when you're facing the same way the train is facing?

Sue

Depends on the model of train and kind of tracks used. I have seen subways with third rails on the ground, on the sides and the kabels on top.

Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York - 05/08/08 09:13 PM

Here is an annotated version of the image KC2ixe posted:

Posted by: Brangdon

Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York - 05/11/08 05:56 PM

The Subivor website is at http://www.subivor.com/home.html.

Looks like a plausible kit to me. I'd really only question the moist towelettes. Also the prybar might be a bit big for every day carry. Dustmask, torch, whistle are good things to have.

Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York - 05/12/08 06:18 AM

Moist towelettes could be the only shower you get if you're trapped for days in a tunnel. Feeling clean can really keep morale up. Most of my emergency kits have at least one 'Wet Ones' toilette.

Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York - 05/12/08 08:32 AM

OK - other than the river crossings, what tunnel in the NYC subway could you get stuck in for days, and still be in the situation to use moist towelettes? Seriously? NYC subways are all "cut and cover" and are less than 20 feet down - and the whole right of way has emeregncy exits ever couple of hundred yards, and have air grates a lot closer than that

If you're stuck for a couple of days - you are either
1)In a river crossing
2)there are 1-2 spots up by Harlem that are deep
3)Or have a whole buildings worth of debris on top of you, and blocking the tunnel on both ends, and hint, even the WTC didn't take out the tunnel THAT bad (still lucky that there were no trains in the Rector St stop, but...

The Moist towelettes would most likely be useful for when yoy grab onto a handrail or a grab bar, and there was some "shmutz" on it
Posted by: Rodion

Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York - 05/12/08 01:48 PM

I'm surprised the poor fellow wasn't sued for disturbing the peace...

The dialogue between myself and whoever comes into contact with the "just in case" part of my life can be summarized as such:

Them: You're wasting money.

Me: You waste more on smoking and alcohol.

Them: You can't be prepared for everything.

Me: You're prepared for nothing.

Them: You're a jerk for surviving when the rest of us croak.

Me: You're a jerk for making me save you.

Them: You should be studying.

Me: Yes. frown

Aside from that...

I'm not kidding. People have actually told me that being prepared is somehow unfair to everyone else. As if I'm some Wall Street big shot building a nuclear vault under Mount Rushmore. For Jews' sake, when lights went out at the bar I work in, I was the only one with a flashlight. How they intended to operate the electrical board in total darkness is a mystery* to me, considering it's conveniently located above a working grill.

Whenever someone asks me to open a can (in a working kitchen, mind you), my SAK is the only tool available for the job. I am also more often than not the only one with a lighter.

My neighbor called me "Rambo" upon discovering I have two flashlights in my posession. What people would do if they saw a FAK in my class bag, I'm afraid to imagine.

I believe the reason for such mentality is, paradoxically, Darwinian: people who focus on "making it" in the current state of affairs have an advantage over survivalists (and this is the gentler of the two terms I could have used) when it comes to investing time and effort into their career and what-not. Unless of course one could make a career out of survivalism. But that's not realistic, is it? wink

*I suspect use of the kitchen blowtorch is routine.
Posted by: Arney

Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York - 05/12/08 02:42 PM

Originally Posted By: kc2ixe
OK - other than the river crossings, what tunnel in the NYC subway could you get stuck in for days, and still be in the situation to use moist towelettes?

I lived up in Washington Heights for a couple years so I spent a lot of time in the 168th St. station. I'm not certain how deep it is, but it's definitely much deeper than your normal subway station. They used to have this slow, human-operated elevator and the door had a small window. You'd watch the elevator shaft moving in front of you and it always felt like you were descending into the coal mines or something.

Let's not forget the logistical difficulty in moving lots of people around. If hundreds of airline passengers can be stranded out on the tarmac for a very long time in winter weather, it's certainly not beyond reason for subway passengers to be stuck underground or on an overhead section for a long time, too.

Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York - 05/12/08 03:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Arney

I lived up in Washington Heights for a couple years so I spent a lot of time in the 168th St. station. ...snip...

I said Harlem - I meant Washington Heights - they are the deepest part of the system (3-4 stops there), and are the exception that proves the rule. That said, I still hold that "Moist towelettes" are useless except for getting shmutz off your hands

Of course, this is from a guy who, when he used to travel by subway usually had 50+ lbs of gear with him

I just think the kit the guy was selling wasn't great, but not horrible. A better kit would be a N-95, a flashlight, a Multitool, maybe a cylume stick, and a bottle of water
Posted by: Rodion

Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York - 05/12/08 03:07 PM

...and an iPhone. Maybe then it would sell.

Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York - 05/12/08 03:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Rodion
I believe the reason for such mentality is, paradoxically, Darwinian: people who focus on "making it" in the current state of affairs have an advantage over survivalists

This is absolutely, 100% true. New York is a city of here and now, and not if or when. In my experience, the city has been incredibly resilient and able to deal with bad things better than anywhere I've ever been.

Posted by: MoBOB

Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York - 05/12/08 09:20 PM

Less than 20 feet down? The last time I exited a station in Manhattan I climbed in excess of 70 steps. Given a conservative 7" rise that puts the depth at over 40'. The only one I was on that was 20' or less was the one at Yankee Stadium, Which is, as we know, an elevated rail.
Posted by: Sinjz

Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York - 05/12/08 11:27 PM

The anal comment was just one guy. While he may be saying what many people across the country are thinking, he far from represents New York. I'm a New Yorker and my kits basically matches Martin's. :p So let's not lump everybody together....

I also think the failure of this kit has more to do with the kit itself. Cheapie flashlight, dust mask, whistle and a pack of wipes can all be had for less than he's asking. And seriously, how would you use the crowbar in a subway emergency?
Posted by: Paul810

Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York - 05/13/08 01:04 AM

The people that care probably already have a kit made up, so they don't need to buy one.

The people that don't care...well...just don't care. So, chances are, they aren't buying one either.

That's probably why they aren't selling.

Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York - 05/13/08 01:20 AM

Well that gets back to market research which was mentioned way early in this thread. That said, I agree. It would like someone selling "earthquake survival kits" in CA. The folks who are concerned already have gear set aside. The folks who live on the major faults and don't care? Darwin had something to say about these folks. Why ask why?
Posted by: cajun_kw

Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York - 05/14/08 06:27 PM

I got a lot of laughs at NYC residents expense during the 5 state power outage a few years back. People hiking up 34+ floors with buckets of water...minimal stored food, no stored water, no flashlights.
Of course, the news probably wouldn't show too many people that are prepared. That's not sensational so why report it !
Did see one 4 story co-op bldg that had power the whole time ... they had installed their own backup diesel generator with plenty of fuel .. so they were set.
So, I know there are some New Yorkers that do prepare....BUT like many places...those that are prepared are truly in the minority.
I always thought a return visit to interview those that were shown on TV unprepared then, to see if they are more prepared now would be a neat show. Maybe part of a program on preparedness in general ...in light of tornados, earthquakes etc that seem to occur frequently enough somewhere in the world. But hey... TV usually doesn't spend much time educating the masses.
I know that watching them on TV convinced me to never to live in a bldg taller than a few stories. ....and while I hate big cities, it gave me even more support for desire to never move ot one ever. BUT, I might find myself in one while traveling or on business, so I always try to by prepared more when I do that. Just in case.

Re: Being Equipped is so "Anal" Says New York - 05/15/08 08:40 AM

I worked with the Red Cross (I was one of their Hams - NYC ARES) during the blackout.

The big need, the 1st night, was getting water to those walking home! Some building ownwers were nice enough to turn on their sillcocks to a snice steady stream so folks could fill their water bottles (part way into the trip, almost everyone had one - they went to the local deli and bought a bottle of water)

By about Midnight, all was quiet, and the next AM, the power started coming back on. I got called out to Brooklyn for a building with no water (remember folks, in NYC, basically, if you are above the 6th floor (lower if your in say, Washington Heights), your water is pumped by YOUR building - the water doesn't "Just flow"), but by the time we got there, the water was on

If the folks who LIVED in those 34 story buildings used their brains, there would be no problem - there is a VERY large water tank on the roof - if people didn't waste it, and only used it for drinking... I'll BET you, when the power first went off, lots of folks still showered etc - all the water on the roof went down the drain

In a "mid to high" end building, I would expect them to have a backup generator - but I know most don't (hey, why plan for a once every 20 year thing) and I KNOW a lot of the projects are lucky to have anything that works - even if the city did budget for a generator

Oh well - anyway, by Noon the next day, we were sitting around, with CASES of Gatoraide and Water, trying to give them to passers by, who looked at us and said "Dudes, the Blackout's been over for hours" - The team I was with at that time Was from Binghamton - they handed me a bag of Gatoraide powder to "put in the ARES supplies", and they took off for home - I waited for the re-supply truck to show, and told him to return the truck full of water bottles back to Central Stores - and I went home for a well deserved sleep (I did get about 3 hours at about 5am, but that was it)