So.....am I crazy?

Posted by: Taurus

So.....am I crazy? - 04/09/08 10:06 PM

I’ve always treated survival prep as just that, prep for any situation that may potentially get myself or those around me killed. This involves a lot of stuff in my mind, and it does not always revolve around that ever popular “lost in the woods alone” scenario. It Could be a car accident, a robber, a fire or whatever. I often train/practice things that will give me any available edge in a bad situation. I regularly try to take courses in first aid, accident scene management training, defensive drivers courses, instinctive shooting, self defense training etc (above and beyond what the Army teaches) because in my mind I may someday need those skills (or need those skills again)

In my mind this is perfectly logical

After buying my house one of my first bits of survival training was to pace out all the areas of the house and then practice walking them blindfolded. I wanted to be able to find my way to the nearest window or to the door even if I was totally blind. In my mind there are many reasons this may be useful, but the biggest reason would be waking up and having the house full of smoke. Without being able to see I could get to the kids room, and then to the nearest escape even if blinded by smoke (in theory anyway) Of course this is easier said than done….so I practice it from time to time. Sounds silly but in all honesty I can feel my way through my house at night with skill that only my cat can match(most of the time)

Last night after changing the batteries in all the smoke/Carbon monoxide detectors I decided to give it a go as I was a while since I had practiced this hope to God I never need it, but will be glad IF I ever need it skill. Things went well until I tripped over my kid’s guitar hero controller. No big deal, it was good for a laugh.(no doubt it would have been good on video)
When I shared this story with friends over lunch however, they were quite amused by it. Not the fact that I tripped, but the fact that I was blindfolded walking through my house practicing fire escape. In fact, they seem to think I am completely nuts for even considering the possibility of such nonsense. I was taken aback. Some part of me thinks that everyone else must do this kind of stuff as well. Why wouldn’t you? I mean really
I guess I won’t get into detail about the other things I practice doing in case of emergency but I was really surprised that everyone thought I was the crazy one. I first was drawn to this forum because it appeared that there were a few people here who think very much alike but….

Am I the only person who does this stuff? Am I really nuts, or is it everyone around me?

Sure would feel less nuts if other people here did similar things. Let me know.
Posted by: LaLine

Re: So.....am I crazy? - 04/09/08 10:16 PM

If you're crazy then so am I. I've been working on a couple of articles to put on our family's web page about preparedness and how to get started. One of the ideas I was putting out there for them to practice was walking through their house blindfolded. Better to practice now when all they have to worry about is feeling stupid rather then do it when they are scared spit-less.

BTW, I must thank all of you on this forum for your fabulous posts. I've been lurking for quite a while as I feel like I'm very inexperienced in this area, but the more I read the more I feel like my knowledge is increasing. I've only been able to practice a few of the things I've learned here, but I'm now in a CERT training class at work and I actually feel a little more prepared then some of the others in the class. So thanks to you all.
Posted by: technician

Re: So.....am I crazy? - 04/09/08 10:16 PM

No, you're not crazy, just better prepared than your lunchmates.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: So.....am I crazy? - 04/09/08 11:05 PM

Great idea, but I think that you are doing one thing wrong. In a house/building full of smoke, you won't be able to walk around, there will be too much smoke for you to breath. You need to get down on the floor, as low as you can go. So I would suggest that you do all of your practicing on your hands and knees, crawling as low and fast as you can go. Then have the entire family practice crawling in line, possibly with a hand on the ankle of the person in front. You, of course, will be leading the pack...
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: So.....am I crazy? - 04/09/08 11:07 PM

Taurus,

You are not alone in your training just among friends who are just scattered over a large area (e.g. worldwide).

Welcome to the ETS Forum, Laline. This is a fun, interesting place to learn.

Mike
Posted by: MDinana

Re: So.....am I crazy? - 04/09/08 11:16 PM

Taurus, a big ditto on OBG. Heat rises, as well as smoke. In a real fire, the air on the ground is cooler (relative to standing upright, which may be several hundred degrees), and clearer. In fact, many FF's crawl around too while in structure fires. Don't forget to check any closed doors before you go through them.

2nd, having a good light is essential in this environment. That's a no-brainer.

3rd, no, I don't do this. I do, however, leave the lights off during late-night restroom runs. So I pretty much know how far to my restroom, and that passes 3 windows.
Posted by: Matt26

Re: So.....am I crazy? - 04/09/08 11:36 PM

Welcome home as well! No, your not crazy. I do the same thing except I do it like OBG suggests, on your hands and knees. As any of the other firefighters (i'll have 19 years in Sept)on here can tell you the air is significantly cooler, cleaner and much easier to see through! I can brag that my 9 and 6 year old daughters can climb out and down the escape ladder in their room faster than I can! grin

Re: So.....am I crazy? - 04/09/08 11:47 PM

Quote:
a big ditto on OBG. Heat rises, as well as smoke.

True, point well taken. I have considered this but I am still concerned with the pacing part yet.(getting fairly quick) I have tried it crawing a few times. I even tried it with a wet rag over my face once. If you do make sure you keep one arm fully extended while crawling.And make sure the wife is not home or you may Secretly end up on youtube(lol)

Quote:
having a good light is essential in this environment.

Oh, dont worry. I have about 3 emergency lights in every room of the house. I practice without only because I want to know I can do it in the worst case(short of filling up the house with smoke).

Thanks guys. Now I dont feel so crazy after all(lol) If I am at least I am in good company here. crazy
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: So.....am I crazy? - 04/09/08 11:47 PM

Hi Taurus,

Apparently more people are killed by their trousers than killed by bears in Canada every year. I don't know the statistics for those who have been killed whilst falling down stairs wearing a blindfold but I suspect it could possibly be more than those killed by bears in Canada every year. wink

Posted by: Susan

Re: So.....am I crazy? - 04/10/08 12:01 AM

Yes, you're crazy..... like the proverbial fox.

Real crazy is the attitude that nothing will ever happen to you.

Real crazy is when something happens and you don't know what to do, where to go, or generally how to deal with it.

Real crazy is standing around crying or curling up in a ball in a corner with smoke swirling all around you.

Hey, your coworkers can absorb it all through their optic nerves while they watch Bear Gryllis, can't they? Now THAT'S real preparation!

Never pay attention to idiots because you're not responsible for how, or if, they think.

Sue

Re: So.....am I crazy? - 04/10/08 12:05 AM

NH-
Quote:
I HAVE learned over the years to do a pre-walk through first, with 3 kids there's no telling what's been left where.

(lol) so true. Takes away from the realism a bit if you check first though.

Matt26-
Quote:
I can brag that my 9 and 6 year old daughters can climb out and down the escape ladder in their room faster than I can!

I hear you, My kid will be a teenager soon and I will need to try to PREVENT her from escaping out the window at night.

Am_Fear_Liath_Mor -
Quote:
I don't know the statistics for those who have been killed whilst falling down stairs wearing a blindfold but I suspect it could possibly be more than those killed by bears in Canada every year.

I know for a FACT more people die in Canada die each year in house fires than either bears or trousers. I dont want to be one of them. eek

Laline-
Quote:
Better to practice now when all they have to worry about is feeling stupid rather then do it when they are scared spit-less.

I feel good and silly at the time, especially when I did a cartwheel over a plastic guitar left on the floor but This is why I practice as well. Welcome to the forum, hope to hear more from you on how the web page is going.

Re: So.....am I crazy? - 04/10/08 12:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Taurus

If you do make sure you keep one arm fully extended while crawling.

Actually, rather than hand out, try keeping one hand on the wall. Keeps you from getting disoriented, and in a straight line. Of course, make sure it's not the burning wall (sorry, I keep my Nomex in my car...)
Posted by: ironraven

Re: So.....am I crazy? - 04/10/08 12:21 AM

Yes. Yes you are crazy.

Just crazy enough to blend in here. smile
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: So.....am I crazy? - 04/10/08 03:00 AM

While I don't practice walking around as if the house was full of smoke, sometimes when I get home, I pretend that I came home to a break-in (example, front door ajar). In a real situation I might call the police and let them look around, but I like to proceed as though the cops are unable to assist. I basically go commando-style through my house with whatever available weapon is on-hand, taking each room and closet/space, as I go along, "securing the building", aggresively creating a path that ensures "they" can't get behind me, and eliminating all possible hiding spots.

So, you're post makes me feel like I am not totally alone...but that doesn't mean I don't "get a little crazy".

I define crazy as being mental to the point of endangering self or others.

I don't think you are crazy, unless you think you can successfully negotiate a house fire at standing height.
No, I simply think that you love your family and want to keep them as safe as possible.

LOL.

DON'T TOUCH THOSE DOOR KNOBS!!!
Posted by: Raspy

Re: So.....am I crazy? - 04/10/08 03:18 AM

Probably Yes. But that is neither here nor there.

Your Practice and preps are the sanest thing you can do.

Your friends [PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER. All] are simply stupid.

Re: So.....am I crazy? - 04/10/08 04:01 AM

Quote:
I basically go commando-style through my house with whatever available weapon is on-hand, taking each room and closet/space, as I go along, "securing the building", aggresively creating a path that ensures "they" can't get behind me, and eliminating all possible hiding spots.

Quote:
you're post makes me feel like I am not totally alone...

Ha, wicked dude. laugh

I can tell you another reason for pacing out all the areas in my house. I have every possible hiding/ambush spot in my house burned into the back of my mind, as well as every shooting angle and distance. I have a safe in the master bedroom and one downstairs with keypad entry containing a .45 ACP full of 230 gr hydra shock and a Mossberg 590 full of #4 buckshot respectively.(along with the rest of my collection) My surefire M3 sits in the top drawer next to my bed with NVGs and flexi cuffs. In the event I arrive home from work etc and think someone may be in the house I have a Mossberg 935 under the back seat of the Ram with shells locked in the center console(I can get the gun lock off damn quick as the keys are part of my EDC)

I also just purchased a .500 S&W revolver that the mere sight of would likely be enough to make the devil himself think twice about his next move. We have a lot in common.

But...My views on home defence are a whole new area which makes my friends question my sanity

Tonight I will practice my fire escape drill again except I will crawl this time on the excellent advice of the folks here. I may even see if the family wants to participate although I bet my wife will laugh at me harder that my friends did. She doesent share the same Enthusiasm as I do about this stuff.
Posted by: jdavidboyd

Re: So.....am I crazy? - 04/10/08 12:51 PM

Originally Posted By: NightHiker

...Although I HAVE learned over the years to do a pre-walk through first...

That seems like it negates the whole point of the exercise, no?
Posted by: benjammin

Re: So.....am I crazy? - 04/10/08 01:49 PM

Well, my experience is that if there's a fire in my house, I get out. Of course, my kids are gone now, but even when they were home, I always figured I stood the best chance of saving anyone if I am not incapacitated, and have a good plan.

That said, I make it a regular practice to walk through the house in the dark. It isn't 100% blindness, but it is a perspective change. Occasionally I will challenge myself by getting out of bed in the middle of the night and trying it while still in the fog of wakening. That is a bit more of a challenge, even though I am a very light sleeper.

I've also occasionally just sat in the dark in various parts of the house and just listened to what's going on at 2:00 am. Sometimes I will go out in the back yard and sit in the bushes for an hour and just watch the house and the road.

Heaven help the poor sod who happens to try breaking into my house at night whilst I might be sitting behind the rhodoendron or fern bush, with sword in one hand, Glock in the other, and a headlight shining in their surprised face.
Posted by: BillLiptak

Re: So.....am I crazy? - 04/10/08 01:52 PM

Crazy, but in a good way laugh. As a humble suggestion while trying this standing, try keeping your feet as close to the floor as possible. Say maybe an inch or so above floor level, that way you can "drag" your feet and "feel" any obstacles before hand. I too make all my bathroom runs in the dark, and with 2 dogs and 5 cats (I swear between my wife and roommate I got a damn zoo....) there is always a distinct possibility of tripping and breaking my neck unless I do a dry land "stingray shuffle"

-Bill Liptak
Posted by: Paragon

Re: So.....am I crazy? - 04/10/08 02:24 PM

Originally Posted By: benjammin
I've also occasionally just sat in the dark in various parts of the house and just listened to what's going on at 2:00 am. Sometimes I will go out in the back yard and sit in the bushes for an hour and just watch the house and the road.

Heaven help the poor sod who happens to try breaking into my house at night whilst I might be sitting behind the rhodoendron or fern bush, with sword in one hand, Glock in the other, and a headlight shining in their surprised face.

Perhaps it's just me Benjammin, but the thought of having a neighbor sitting in the bushes for an hour or so in the middle of the night, wearing a headlight and clutching a sword in one hand and a Glock in the other, might qualify as being slightly over the top.

Jim
Posted by: thseng

Re: So.....am I crazy? - 04/10/08 02:27 PM

For an extra challenge, sprinkle the floor liberally with Legos.

If you don't have any Legos, broken glass will do, but it is not as challenging.

Re: So.....am I crazy? - 04/10/08 02:28 PM

Quote:

ROFLMAO. Benjammin my good man, this post made my morning. After my TAV , the bas***ds put me behind a desk to give me a break (I hate it sooooooooo bad) So I end up here on the forum when I should be working. I have to do something as I am itching like crazy to get back with a field section. As I sit here reading your post and laughing out loud like a madman I cannot tell you how cool it is to know I am not the only one out there who does this kind of stuff. If I am crazy for hiding out side my house with NVGs and a shotgun, then I guess I will have company in the nut house from some of the other folks here.

I tried the whole hold the ankle and escape thing with my family last night(at the suggestion of people on the forum) I was hard to convince the wife to take part as she is laid up with a broken foot but she decided to humour me. The kid had a blast as it appeared as a game to her.

For those of you who haven't tried this you should. Holy crap, It is a challenge alone and standing/creeping but crawling with wife and kid together is a real challenge.(well worth it) The biggest problem is negotiating stairs in this manner, but we made it in under 2 min(and that included me going to the kids room, and then attaching her to the chain and then from there going back through the house to the farthest door) I wanted to go the farthest distance for practice but in a real situ I would be going for the nearest exit. In a real situ there would also be the fact that the kid would be in a state of panic as well, another thing to consider. My dog was very amused at the sight of us all blindfolded and crawling through the house (must have looked odd) But the dogs interference brought up another problem in my mind.

If ever there is a fire I don't think I would be able to leave the pets behind. I would hope they would have the sense to follow us or at least make a good run for it on their own. Maybe I will get one of those dog whistles just in case.......

Re: So.....am I crazy? - 04/10/08 02:45 PM

I can see the benefits of such a practice but I'm not sure I'd benefit from it in my place. I can see my front door from my side of the bed. With a small open concept condo like I live in, there's almost nothing to get in the way unless you get lost in the bathroom just after the fire starts. wink

Plus like I've mentioned in previous posts I don't own the arsenals some of you do. If I had a break I'd have to be sitting on the john or sleeping to not see it happen. Plus I'm not sure what I'd do if it did happen.

I guess that's the real point of the excercise is to get rid of the indecisiveness such a situation can bring over a person.

Re: So.....am I crazy? - 04/10/08 02:52 PM

Quote:
Plus like I've mentioned in previous posts I don't own the arsenals some of you do.

Dont worry, you will soon enough grin

I guess crawling out the door on hands and knees in a blinfold may raise concerns if you live in an apartment or condo. You could always make a rope ladder and practice rappeling off the side of the building as a fire escape(depending on what floor you are on) If you do let me know, that sounds like it would be a lot of fun.

Re: So.....am I crazy? - 04/10/08 02:58 PM

Dont worry, you will soon enough grin

My PAL hasn't come yet but it shouldn't be too much longer!

I guess crawling out the door on hands and knees in a blinfold may raise concerns if you live in an apartment or condo. You could always make a rope ladder and practice rappeling off the side of the building as a fire escape(depending on what floor you are on) If you do let me know, that sounds like it would be a lot of fun.

If a neighbor caught a whiff of me walking around blindfolded with some kind of weapon in hand, I'd likely be getting a call from the condo board about it.

Rapelling off the balcony is something I've thought of too. To get out of my building I have to cross two catwalks to get to the fire escape and one to get to the elevator...if the fire is in the right place those won't last long. My balcony faces the front street and there's lots of sidewalk/court yard under my 3rd floor balcony. Maybe it's time to invest in a rope? wink
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: So.....am I crazy? - 04/10/08 04:01 PM

Welcome Laline....

Dig in brother/sister. There is plenty to go around.

Again, welcome to the party, jump in with both feet.

Re: So.....am I crazy? - 04/10/08 04:06 PM

Taurus,

You are not from Mars. You are extremely proactive. You are actually a positive influence on the rest of us. You, along with others, prod the rest of us on.

Perspective: How do you think some of DR's family and/or friends viewed him as he launched this forum?

I get nutso looks from people for just wanting to carry an EDC with a few Band-Aids, SAK, thread and assorted things in a tube in my Nite-Ize Pockits(TM).

You are fine. You are thinking of the welfare of your loved ones and doing something about it.

How's that for a "Mutal Admiration and Affirmation Society" session. All for free, of course.

You are on track.

Re: So.....am I crazy? - 04/10/08 04:13 PM

[/quote]

My surefire M3 sits in the top drawer next to my bed with NVGs and flexi cuffs.
[/quote]

Next to the bed? Interesting blush

Re: So.....am I crazy? - 04/10/08 04:57 PM

It's easy to tell which of my neighbors are conservative, and which are liberal. The liberal ones get agitated when they see me with weapons in hand in the yard at night. The rest just grin and sleep easier knowing guys like me are around to do great harm to those who would otherwise victimize our neighborhood. the cop that lives down the block just waves and has a good chuckle.

Then again, anyone ever see the Dan Akroyd, John Belushi movie "Neighbors" Imagine it being Cousin Eddie instead of Akroyd's character, and you probably have some idea of what it looks like in my yard at night, on those nights when the air is quiet, the moon is new, CCR is playing "Run Thru the Jungle" on the radio, and I get an itch ...
Posted by: Matt26

Re: So.....am I crazy? - 04/10/08 07:01 PM

All you can do about animals is open the door, a scared animal will more than likely lash out and hurt you. Leave the door open when you leave. If they can get out they will.
Posted by: Chisel

Re: So.....am I crazy? - 04/11/08 02:58 AM

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
So I would suggest that you do all of your practicing on your hands and knees, crawling as low and fast as you can go. Then have the entire family practice crawling in line, possibly with a hand on the ankle of the person in front. You, of course, will be leading the pack...

Right, but dont tell your luchmates otherwise you'll hear words other than "nuts".

The logic I use most of the time to ignore the PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER. is that they will NOT be around to help me in case I find myself in a problem. So why bother with what they think and say ?? Just dont tell them everything you do.

And BTW, not telling them is the right thing anyway, because in case of SHTF, there will be a big crowd of people at your door step thinking (Taurus must have a full pantry and lots of preparedness stuff).

ummmm
Do I do it?
No, because my lifetime-luchmate (wife) will call her brother weeping and tell him I have finally broken to pieces.

Re: So.....am I crazy? - 04/11/08 03:26 AM

"...the cops are unable to assist. I basically go commando-style through my house..."

I respectfully have to ask why? Any cop with an ounce of sense will not do a building search alone, so why would you? You can stay outside and cover the obvious exit if you want to, but going inside, even tho you know the layout, is just asking for trouble. There is nothing (other than my family) in my house that I am willing to risk my life for. Call the cops, stay outside, and if the cops can't come, either try to "arrest" the badguy when he/she exits, or let him/her go and file an insurance claim. And for sure don't shoot the bg when he comes out, in most jurisdictions burglers are not shootable...
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: So.....am I crazy? - 04/11/08 04:04 AM

Posts with references to 'PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER.' and 'liberals'are part of a very specific lexicon and world view. Smoke can cloud your physical eyesight and ability to breath. The cultural smoke from a specific mindset; good,bad or indifferent can also cause myopia and loss of fresh air for the brain. ETS will be offering a set of custom exercises for our readers. OBG will teach individuals that, YES! you can walk down to the mailbox without a PSK, BUSSE knife and GLOCK.This will be done in comfort zones of a few feet daily increased incrimentaly.I will be holding a seminar this summer at the Krishnamurti Ashram in Ojai. We will discuss the application of Feng Shui to create harmonious firing zones and denial of cover to hostile energies ( they only lack green tea. ) People, it's good to be prepared. But please remember to breathe once in awhile and the safest house is probably a mess like mine. I'd get sued in court for depraved indifference to life, should any intruder be foolish enough to step foot in here.

Re: So.....am I crazy? - 04/11/08 04:55 AM

OBG,

It is glaringly obvious that YOU are most definitely NOT crazy.

I'm going inside so I CAN shoot him while he is inside; One more home-invasion rapist child-molesting kidnapper thief piece-o'-dookie off the streets? I'll make that decision when the time comes. I do what I can. Why should I let him get away so he can rape or murder somebody down the street if I have the opportunity to kill him while he is in my house? There was a time when people thought about their community in addition to their families and their selves. There are child-molesters, kidnappers, rapists and murderers getting out of prison only to do it again. Heinous crimes should be dealt with severely. If he is only a thief, then he should go steal from the grocery store. If he is in my house, I am going to assume he is looking for a victim. People feel sorry for a kid who gets killed when all he did was burglarize for pawn items so he can get high on heroin, but a persons home is a persons home.
A home should be thought of as saying "welcome" to family and friends, and "stay away" to everybody else. If some people don't have that much sense to acknowledge that, and think that the home-owner is going to assume they broke in because they wanted to make a sandwich, then they will probably not survive very long anyway. So, I say assume the worst, and if they don't sit tight until the cops arrive, shoot em. But, don't let them get away. You might be safe, but they can always come back or they may decide to victimize somebody else. Be a part of your community, not just a societal pawn.

I want them to be afraid of coming into my house and anyone else's house too, and not because I might call the cops or file insurance claims, but because they are dead if they do, or at least taking one in the leg and then cuffed for the cops.

To put it bluntly; I'm going in after the intruder(s), and I'm going to kill him/them, hoping that I got there in time to stop him from raping and murdering my wife and children who I hope are still dreaming peacefully in their beds. If he did get to them already, and he is still in the house, not only am I going to kill him, but I am going to kill him by beating him to death with his own arms that I twisted and ripped away from his torso while he was screaming how sorry he was and that he couldn't help himself 'cause he was off his meds.

The only sure way to deter crime is to keep potential criminals afraid of the repurcussions. Criminals are liars and will say anything to get away. If I find someone in my house and he has no exit, he will either negotiate or attack. I am not heartless. I can tell the difference between a mentally ill person who "wandered home" and a "bad guy".

Not everyone fears incarceration, but everyone fears pain.

This is not an easy thing to sum up in a forum post, but for what it is worth, it is fun to feel in control, especially of one's own house.
Posted by: LED

Re: So.....am I crazy? - 04/11/08 05:01 AM

Holy s*%t Chris, that was funny.

Re: So.....am I crazy? - 04/11/08 12:19 PM

Quote:
YES! you can walk down to the mailbox without a PSK, BUSSE knife and GLOCK.

Well, where's the fun in that?

The Ashram seminar does sound like a good getaway though. I would prefer it if we had a few clinics in CQD and at the 50 foot line just to clear some of the physical stress and get our focus. If OBG will take his rig there, count me in.

Re: So.....am I crazy? - 04/11/08 01:07 PM

Quote:
not only am I going to kill him, but I am going to kill him by beating him to death with his own arms that I twisted and ripped away from his torso while he was screaming how sorry he was and that he couldn't help himself 'cause he was off his meds.

ROFLMAO!!!!

Quote:
YES! you can walk down to the mailbox without a PSK, BUSSE knife and GLOCK.

Tell this to the parents of the teen beaten nearly to death in broad daylight playing road hockey in his own driveway two blocks down from me(they stole his shoes)His sick mother watched helplessly from the window and all she could do was phone the police. Bet she wished she had a Glock or two handy. Some people may argue that fact but that is up to them.

True, 99% of the time you will be fine. Its the other 1% that I try and be ready for. I have been to the field plenty of times and never needed a knife, but I still have it with me.

You do things your way and I will do things my way. I dont think either of us is wrong.

Re: So.....am I crazy? - 04/11/08 01:13 PM

My wife could teach the Feng Shui thingy, we have a three legged frog and everything. But last time I was in Ojai I didn't see anyplace to park out home on wheels, and the road in was kinda crooked and narrow. Of course that was about 45 years ago, give or take a few...

Re: So.....am I crazy? - 04/11/08 02:08 PM

Well, a three legged frog would be worth half as much to me, having only one good leg for the fryer. BTW, do you remember an old joke about the physiological link between a frog losing his legs affecting his ability to hear?

I suppose we could load the frog on the trap machine, we'd get more use outta him that way. Well at least once maybe. I've heard of the rabbit on the sporting clays, which is a tough shot at times, but never the frog.

We could always move the seminar to Chamballah-Ashrama south of Denver, though I've heard recently that place got taken over by the skin-heads. I guess the Khrishna brethren decided to lop off their top knot and cop an attitude. Denver can do that to ya.

Posted by: Dan_McI

Re: So.....am I crazy? - 04/11/08 02:47 PM

I think the custom exercises described by Chris above should also include some classes in peaceful meditation, so that I can be at harmony with the universe, before I reload.

Troglodyte007, I wish you luck. Honestly, I do and hope you kill him. However, should I be able to get my family and myself out and in an area of safety, I'm probably not going back in.

I would however readily introduce someone uninvited and in my home to my Remington 870, from across the room.

And as far as the original question in this thread, Taurus, if you are crazy, then you are asking lunatics in the asylum to diagnosis you.

Re: So.....am I crazy? - 04/11/08 02:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Dan_McI

And as far as the original question in this thread, Taurus, if you are crazy, then you are asking lunatics in the asylum to diagnosis you.

LOL. This is the truth!

For me I couldn't imagine shooting anybody in my home...it's just not how I was raised. I don't think I'm capable of it (not right now anyhow). The other thing is that I live in a condo so for every shot which misses is a potentially killed neighbor.

Re: So.....am I crazy? - 04/11/08 03:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Hacksaw
The other thing is that I live in a condo so for every shot which misses is a potentially killed neighbor.

That's one reason I like the shotgun. From 10 feet away, it almost doesn't matter what shell is being used. A 12 gauge has enough power to do some very serious damage, at 10 feet, even if it is loaded with lead bird shot. At 10-12 feet, the pattern from bird shot can be as samll as 6 inches in diameter, which if you are accurate pours all of your lead onto the intended target. Penetration is not as good with bird vs. buck shot, but most of the bird shot is still getting 4 inches deep into him, and it is not going through the walls to get to your neighbor's cat.

See:

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/long_guns/def_090105/

http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs10.htm

Re: So.....am I crazy? - 04/11/08 03:48 PM

This is another reason I handload. I can increase or reduce the charge weight in my shells depending on what I want them for. The benifit is lower recoil and reduced penetration for home defence.

Its fun to make hot loads using 12 gauge 3 and 1/2 inch hulls and stacks of dimes as well. Bet that would be a fairly effective home defence cartridge. laugh
te he he he....

might not hold up in court too well though..........................
Posted by: wildman800

Re: So.....am I crazy? - 04/11/08 04:57 PM

After reading many of the post in this thread, I'm reminded of that old golden rule: All things should be keep in moderation.
Posted by: unimogbert

Re: So.....am I crazy? - 04/11/08 05:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Troglodyte007

To put it bluntly; I'm going in after the intruder(s), and I'm going to kill him/them, hoping that I got there in time to stop him from raping and murdering my wife and children who I hope are still dreaming peacefully in their beds. If he did get to them already, and he is still in the house, not only am I going to kill him, but I am going to kill him by beating him to death with his own arms that I twisted and ripped away from his torso while he was screaming how sorry he was and that he couldn't help himself 'cause he was off his meds.

Trogs, you can be my neighbor anytime. I'll even help clear the house with you and pass you some of my tools to do it with.
If I'm on the jury, you'll get a medal rather than a sentence but....

Jury selection would weed out everyone on the forum for unacceptable bias against the poor downtrodden subsistence home invader who was just trying to feed his family before going down to buy drugs on his way to the polling place to vote.

I strongly recommend Massad Ayoob's books which address the second battle in your scenario- the court fight to defend your liberty.

Making statements like the above automatically sentence you to jail in our (US) present judicial system if it can be traced to you. Being right is not enough when there are lawyers about.
Remember it's more about being a system than it is about justice.

Re: So.....am I crazy? - 04/11/08 06:02 PM

At least in the US your laws clearly start with those freedoms. In Canada the law about such things is so vague and muddy that no two people, experts, cops, or judges seem to agree on what is legal and what isn't.

If you read the law and just interpret the words, everybody would go to jail for shooting another man unless he could prove his life would end if he didn't...regardless of home invasion or any other situational differences.

Perception and reality are completely different. A cop once told me that as long as you don't shoot somebody in the back and you make sure you KILL him and do it ON your property, you'll get off unless your lawyer is completely incompetant regardless of the actual situation.

Re: So.....am I crazy? - 04/11/08 06:39 PM

I guess shooting an intruder with a load of dimes mixed with rock salt would be a wee bit hard to sell to a Judge in Canada. grin

Re: So.....am I crazy? - 04/11/08 08:22 PM

I guess shooting an intruder with a load of dimes mixed with rock salt would be a wee bit hard to sell to a Judge in Canada. grin

You might have a problem with that in the northeastern U.S. states too. But in most of the western states, you would never be indicted.

Re: So.....am I crazy? - 04/11/08 08:34 PM

I'd hate to be a medical examiner that day.

Cause of death? Trauma due to internal organs being punctured by 15 dimes.
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: So.....am I crazy? - 04/11/08 10:16 PM

Hey Taurus,

Glad your are back, you sure do add to the conversation around here.

Concerning reduced shot loads, rock salt and dimes in a shotgun, for home defence check out the website called "The Box of Truth". The author and his buddy test all of these and much more for terminal ballistics. Very well done and interesting, exposes a lot of myths.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/theboxotruth.htm

If you have never checked out this site before you better; go to the bathroom, send the kids to the neighbours, unplug the phone, make yourself a sandwich and get a beer (or 3) because once you start reading/watching this stuff out you will be busy for a couple hours.

Mike

Re: So.....am I crazy? - 04/12/08 12:17 AM

You are really out of the FS loop, a three legged frog is supposed to bring prosperity or something good. We have had the frog for quite a while, still waiting for the windfall profits to show up...

Re: So.....am I crazy? - 04/12/08 05:03 PM

Quote:
Concerning reduced shot loads, rock salt and dimes in a shotgun, for home defence

Hey folks, I was only kidding about the dimes for home defence, I cant imagine anyone thought I was serious. Really

I do load stuff like this but only to shoot from an special barrel and then only at pumpkins and other fun targets on the range, thats all. Heres a shot at the range using some hand loads on a tgt for ranging/pattern testing.

[img][IMG]http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll200/taurus-135/range1025.jpg[/img][/img]

I handload some very nice 2 3/4 inch reduced charge/recoil cartridges in 00 buck and #4 buck respectively. I would never be foolish enough to admit openly that they are to be used for such purposes for legal reasons so I call them my "close range, anti-varmit shot gun shells"

the fact that I loaded them specifically with enough power to penetrate 6-8 inches into humans but not through the hardwood walls in my house is pure coincidence. wink

Re: So.....am I crazy? - 04/12/08 05:49 PM

I handload some very nice 2 3/4 inch reduced charge/recoil cartridges in 00 buck and #4 buck respectively. I would never be foolish enough to admit openly that they are to be used for such purposes for legal reasons so I call them my "close range, anti-varmit shot gun shells"

You know, it'd be really nice if this type of "close range, anti-varmit shotgun shell" was available via a public vendor.

Yeah, my SG has #4 also, but I'm still worried that (God forbid) if anything happens, that 6-month kid next door will catch a few pellets - even though it would have to go through my exterior walls, the other house's exterior walls, and into whatever room he sleeps in.

KNOWING that a round is designed to be stopped by a few sheets of drywall would be one less thing to worry about.
Posted by: CJK

Re: So.....am I crazy? - 04/20/08 07:55 PM

I haven't read through all the posts so apologies if it is duplicating another one.....you are here with US....of course you're crazy......but in a good way......
Posted by: horizonseeker

Re: So.....am I crazy? - 04/20/08 11:11 PM

well, if you have to ask......

:p