Class Time

Posted by: MoBOB

Class Time - 04/03/08 02:37 PM

OK Class, as some of you may recall, I am just starting to put together my EDC and PSK. Originally they were going to be kind of mashed together as a single entity. With a little thought I have decided to go split them. The EDC will be smaller in comparison to the PSK. If you remember from a previous thread I mentioned that I was going to try using a Nite-Ize tool holder for my Leatherman Crunch and a coin tubes for the other stuff.

So, as I was thinking more and more about how to contain items in a container. Little hobby baggies are an option. But, I had another thought (danger Will Robinson!). This is where your homework assignment comes in to play. What could you store in the cap of a dried out Sharpie? After all, they are just tubes without a cap. Now go grab a regular one, a big one, and let me know what you discover.

You will be rewarded with the currency of the forum; the "Survivo".

Class dismissed.
Posted by: Dan_McI

Re: Class Time - 04/03/08 02:54 PM

Needles will fit, and it might be a good way to contain some. However, i like the idea someone else had here of using a case for mechincal pencil leads.

Certainly some thread and fishing line could fit, but how would be the issue. I think a cotter or hair pin could be used to wrap either around. You could do the same with some duct tape around something too. I like spools for sewing machines for these, but they will not fit in a sharpie.

I've got, although I sometimes question keeping, fishing gear around. However, it can supply food. Some hooks, sinkers and maybe a small spinner should fit.

A small x-acto or scapel blade might fit. It's not my first blade of chocie, but it's better than nothing.

Re: Class Time - 04/03/08 03:30 PM

You get 20 Survivos. Feel free to spend at your leisure
Posted by: benjammin

Re: Class Time - 04/03/08 04:48 PM

A rolled up $100 bill can be put in there. A cotton wad soaked in vaseline, a match and a striker pad wrapped in plastic wrap separate from the wad can all be stuffed in together. Half a load of powder for my 50 cal muzzleloader can fit. 28 .177 cal bbs will fit. 5 feet of standard duct tape in a roll will fit. 8 ibuprofren tablets will fit. A black cat firecracker and 1/2 oz of #9 lead shot will fit in there (personnel deterrent???).
One whole sheet of standard kleenex tissue can be stuffed in.

I could go on...
Posted by: JCWohlschlag

Re: Class Time - 04/03/08 05:43 PM

Originally Posted By: MoBOB
What could you store in the cap of a dried out Sharpie?

A fresh Sharpie. wink Hey, people do include them in kits! I like the Twin Tip ones.

Re: Class Time - 04/03/08 06:32 PM

Land sakes! Why would you take the cap off a fresh sharpie and replace it with one from a dried up one! You'd still have a spare cap to fill. That don't make no sense!
Posted by: Taurus

Re: Class Time - 04/03/08 06:36 PM

Quote:
...that I was going to try using a Nite-Ize tool holder for my Leatherman Crunch and a coin tubes for the other stuff.

Hey moBOB.

I dont want to steer this off topic but I use a Nite-ize holder as well.(Ilove the thing) The little pouch at the bottom holds matches and tinder, wire, safety pins,string, small bottle of lighter fluid(etc) as well as a nail wrapped in GUN tape. I chopped down a hacksaw blade and attached a mine string handle which fits down the long back sleeve. If you decide to drop the flashlight a metal cigar tube with a good cap will fit where the flashlight goes in place of a sharpie and can be filled with all sorts of stuff. some tubes are quite strong and resist bending and abuse quite well, not to mention being waterproof. Some of these tubes are quite fat and can even hold a button compass or a mini BIC.

Re: Class Time - 04/03/08 08:12 PM

You get 90 Survivos. You would have received more but you were a little smug with the "I could on" statement. You stand admonished.

Feel free to spend your loot on what ever you desire.

Re: Class Time - 04/03/08 08:15 PM

I just have the two-pocket version.

The bigger one is, well...bigger. Plus I don't care for the straps on the outside. My Inova is straight and would fall right out.

5 Survivos for class participation.

Re: Class Time - 04/03/08 08:25 PM

Quote:

Ahhh I see....oops.

I have been away from here for a while so I may have missed this but WTF is a survivo?
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Class Time - 04/03/08 08:26 PM

Originally Posted By: benjammin
A rolled up $100 bill can be put in there. A cotton wad soaked in vaseline, a match and a striker pad wrapped in plastic wrap separate from the wad can all be stuffed in together. Half a load of powder for my 50 cal muzzleloader can fit. 28 .177 cal bbs will fit. 5 feet of standard duct tape in a roll will fit. 8 ibuprofren tablets will fit. A black cat firecracker and 1/2 oz of #9 lead shot will fit in there (personnel deterrent???).
One whole sheet of standard kleenex tissue can be stuffed in.

I could go on...

The mental image I have of Ben jamming everything within arms reach into a Sharpie cap makes me laugh. Just don't put the cotton/vaseline and the 100 dollar bill in without something in between...if you need to spend the 100, they might look at you funny when you goo up their hand.

OMG T is back. Can I say welcome home yet?

Re: Class Time - 04/03/08 08:38 PM

Quote:
OMG T is back. Can I say welcome home yet?

yes brother, been Back for a couple of days and will be soon getting ready to go again with the next roto. all in one piece too. the position I had to fill temporarly has been filled with a fresh operator and I got my ass on the next plane out of there. Until next time...
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: Class Time - 04/03/08 10:17 PM

Welcome Back Taurus!

Really good to hear that your trip worked out OK and that you are back home safe.

Thanks for your Service and "Walking the Walk".

Mike
Posted by: climberslacker

Re: Class Time - 04/03/08 11:23 PM

hey what kind of sharpies are we taliking about? I mean I think I can think of many,many theing to put in this sharpie cap!
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Class Time - 04/03/08 11:47 PM

The aluminum cigar tubes are great, but they are very thin walled, and get deformed easily. I prefer the plastic ones myself. The cap is only a friction fit, but a wrap with tape fixes that, keeping the cap on and making them pretty water resistant...
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Class Time - 04/04/08 12:28 AM

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
The aluminum cigar tubes are great, but they are very thin walled, and get deformed easily. I prefer the plastic ones myself. The cap is only a friction fit, but a wrap with tape fixes that, keeping the cap on and making them pretty water resistant...

Sone are heavier rhan others and some are double walled (the two halves slide over each other)like a Davidoff tubos 2000. They're pretty tough.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Class Time - 04/04/08 01:31 AM

Shows what I know 'bout stogie holders. Serves me right for quitting smoking on 12/7/75...

Re: Class Time - 04/04/08 04:59 AM

Student's choice...Just identify which model of Sharpie you are using when you hand in your assignment.

Re: Class Time - 04/04/08 05:01 AM

1,000,000 Survivos for your service and safe return.

Thank you and God bless you.

I apologize for not making the connection.

Re: Class Time - 04/04/08 11:22 AM

No, no, no smugness intended, just very tired. My eyes were starting to close and I didn't want to dream (yet again) of doing wierd things with Sharpies.

Re: Class Time - 04/04/08 11:25 AM

Hmm, a C note, a sharpie cap, and some vaseline, sounds like a Jackass episode in the making to me.

Oh yes, welcome back Taurus. I see Muqtada was kind enough to give you a proper send off before you left. Sure wish they'd let us do something about his sorry butt. Killing the leaders of terrorist groups does have a desired effect on their followers.

Re: Class Time - 04/04/08 12:45 PM

moBOB- thanks a lot for the kind words my friend, I will be heading back all too soon but for now at least, I will attempt to put it all behind me for a while. Even though it was a TAV and not a full deployment I was glad to get out of there all the same. 1,000,000 survivos! wow, what does that enable me to buy(lol) As soon as I gets a sharpie in my hand I will hopefully be more help to your question.

benjammin- thanks as well, I cant tell you how happy I was when this happened. http://cnews.canoe.ca I love working with U.S forces, especially these guys. Made a couple of great friends with the Marines and am really looking forward to fighting alongside them again.

Quote:
Killing the leaders of terrorist groups does have a desired effect on their followers.

yes my friend, very true. I would prefer to whack them all, leaders and followers alike. The Marines are more than willing to help with that one.

Quote:
Thanks for your Service and "Walking the Walk".

Thanks SD, comments like this make a guy blush. I love my job, but I dont "walk the walk" any more than my friend who is an Edmonton police officer. In fact that holds true to any firefighter, SAR tech, EMT and so on. My hat goes off to these people who walk the line every day right under our noses and rarly ever get thanks for it. I only do it when someone makes me(lol)

Re: Class Time - 04/04/08 03:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Taurus
Quote:

Ahhh I see....oops.

I have been away from here for a while so I may have missed this but WTF is a survivo?

It is just something (fake currency) I made up for this thread. Sort of a bad take on the points from "Who's Line Is It Anyway?"

Re: Class Time - 04/04/08 03:22 PM

Originally Posted By: benjammin
No, no, no smugness intended, just very tired. My eyes were starting to close and I didn't want to dream (yet again) of doing wierd things with Sharpies.

I know...Just pokin' a little fun. Hope the nightmares weren't to bad.