ointment for treating blister on mouth?

Posted by: picard120

ointment for treating blister on mouth? - 03/12/08 03:07 AM

how do you treat blister on your lips? let's assume blister developed from food allergy, not STD, grin

What ointment is suitable for treating blister?
Posted by: Onedzguy

Re: ointment for treating blister on mouth? - 03/12/08 08:21 AM

Sometimes when I bite my lip I use Chloraseptic Sore Throat Spray. The affected area will sting at first then goes numb.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: ointment for treating blister on mouth? - 03/12/08 01:38 PM

I don't know for sure, but Ambusol might help...
Posted by: Dan_McI

Re: ointment for treating blister on mouth? - 03/12/08 01:52 PM

Carmex would be what I would use. Anbesol, chloroseptic and carmex, as well as probably a few others, all contain a topical anesthetic. With these three it is phenol or benzocaine. Anbesol and carmex do it in a petroluem jelly base. One or the other would offer some pain relief and possible protection.
Posted by: benjammin

Re: ointment for treating blister on mouth? - 03/12/08 07:02 PM

Grandad turned me on to Campho-Phenique when I was really little and my lips would chap up bad. It'll numb your lip quick, and it is a fairly decent antiseptic. It also works well for backing out most kinds of slivers.
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: ointment for treating blister on mouth? - 03/12/08 08:18 PM

I second the Carmex and Campho-Phenique.

As a side...having suffered from the allergy thing myself, I now know what to stay away from. The ambulance ride and emergency room visit were not fun. Didn't get blisters, I just couldn't breathe too very good. Darn hazelnuts!!!
Posted by: nursemike

Re: ointment for treating blister on mouth? - 03/12/08 09:13 PM

If the cause of the sore is allergic reaction, it might be sensible to treat it with antihistamines and steroids: benadryl capsules by mouth, hydrocortisone 1% ointment topically. Topical Benadryl (lotions and salves) seem to be more of a marketing gimmick than an actual treatment. Both benadryl and steroids are commonly used in the ER for allergic reactions. Some interesting thoughts on canker sores here (http://www.animated-teeth.com/canker_sores/t3_canker_sore_remedies.htm

Sores in the mouth are a symptom of scurvy; supplemental vitamin c might help prevent such. Avast, ye scurvy rogues-
Posted by: Stretch

Re: ointment for treating blister on mouth? - 03/12/08 11:50 PM

I third the Carmex recommenations. Plus, you need some anyway to prevent the next lippian malady. ((( laugh )))
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: ointment for treating blister on mouth? - 03/13/08 01:08 AM

"...Campho-Phenique..."

Man, I haven't seen/smelled that stuff in years. What a unique odor it has...
Posted by: benjammin

Re: ointment for treating blister on mouth? - 03/13/08 07:11 PM

Camphoriated spirits are in a lot of ointments (including Carmex) because it works quite well for such afflictions. Camph-Phenique is the best delivery tool because it penetrates the tissue so quickly and thoroughly, but as a salve, Carmex is pretty darn good. Blistex also seems to work well, for much the same reason. The addition of a thick emollient to provide a protective layer makes salves sometimes more effective than oils or ointments.

Mellaleuca oil (tea tree extract) also has similar qualities, though I prefer the smell of Campho-Phenique more, and it seems to have a stronger anesthetizing quality.

Such ointments should be used according to mfr guidelines, as too much of a good thing can be just as bad as none at all.
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: ointment for treating blister on mouth? - 03/13/08 09:38 PM

Hey,

An old Timber Cruiser I worked with taught me a back-woods remedy for treating chapped or blistered lips. You go in the bush and search for the freshest pile of moose droppings you can find (any ungulate droppings/pellets will do), they need to be the REALLY fresh ones that are still SHINY. You then rub the outer surface of the droppings on your lips, about once every hour.

It does not help your lips at all, BUT IT SURE KEEPS YOU FROM LICKING THEM!

Sorry Picard120, it is one of the only jokes I know and I rarely get to use it, hope you are feeling better.

Mike