http://www.barrettrifles.com/rifle_468.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmiK_k0na6I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmX6DNUlq-M&feature=related

Why you ask?

Because it's cool. Plus I need it for the upcoming Zombie event. mad

I hate Zombies!!

Thanks Everyone!!!!

Blitz

P.S. To Chris and Martin this is posted for entertainment purposes only. If you feel it is inappropriate or out of line for this forum please feel free to do what you need to do and accept my apologies.

I just thought it was one cool rifle.

Blitz
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: If you all send me $1.00... - 03/03/08 12:12 AM

You need to read the Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks. Assault rifles aren't a good choice for zombies.
Posted by: Blitz

Re: If you all send me $1.00... - 03/03/08 12:50 AM

Enlighten me. What is best???

Would this be better?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knight's_Armament_Company_PDW

What I have now is a Mossberg 590 and Glock 22. I'm looking for something that can "reach out an touch someone"

Blitz

Re: If you all send me $1.00... - 03/03/08 01:02 AM

Speaking from a purely hypothetical within the theme of Zombie uprising, any assault weapon would be a bad idea.

I can't quote the Zombie Survival Guide because I don't have it handy but...

A zombie can only be killed with a headshot. Fully automatic weapons are are both impractical and a waste of ammo when that's considered.

Also, if there were such an event, martial law would be very likely (see any zombie movie for example). If you were walking down the street with either of those you'd draw a lot of attention from the military types...the wrong kind of attention.

The best kind of weapon is the one that can be used to fire an accurate shot to the head of a zombie, is very reliable, isn't tactical, and uses a cartridge which is very common...like a hunting rifle...though there are other options.

If you can get your hands on the book it's a very good read...as is the sequel, World War Z. It does a really good job of putting the human perspective into the topic. Many of what Max talks about in his book could apply to any pandemic. Ever since the Avian Bird Flu became a hot topic around here (and since my SAR organiziation became part of the provincial pandemic response plan) I've taken a bit of an interest in such things and the parallels are very interesting.

Posted by: MDinana

Re: If you all send me $1.00... - 03/03/08 01:09 AM

If you're looking for "head shot" + Zombie, then, with a bit of tongue-in-cheek, may I present:
http://www.bohicaarms.com/

Convert that measly .223 into something that'll get the job done!

Re: If you all send me $1.00... - 03/03/08 01:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Hacksaw

A zombie can only be killed with a headshot. Fully automatic weapons are are both impractical and a waste of ammo when that's considered.

Also, if there were such an event, martial law would be very likely (see any zombie movie for example). If you were walking down the street with either of those you'd draw a lot of attention from the military types...the wrong kind of attention.

Head shots are not a problem for me (legend in my own mind and maybe some extensive training as well) and I would certainly use the selective fire/semi auto. I agree full auto is a waist.

As far as the military/police who's to say they aren't zombies as well.

But to return to topic, don't you think that it is one hell of a rifle?

Re: If you all send me $1.00... - 03/03/08 01:23 AM

Originally Posted By: MDinana
If you're looking for "head shot" + Zombie, then, with a bit of tongue-in-cheek, may I present:
http://www.bohicaarms.com/

Convert that measly .223 into something that'll get the job done!

D'OH

Kinda hard to carry that ammo though.

Drooling anyway

Blitz
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: If you all send me $1.00... - 03/03/08 01:40 AM

Hey,

Colour me stupid fellows, as I have heard reference to "Zombies" on this site a few times, and have no idea what you are talking about?

Please fill me in.

Thanks,

Mike
Posted by: GoatRider

Re: If you all send me $1.00... - 03/03/08 02:21 AM

Seriously?

Zombies are (some say fictitious) animated dead humans. They aren't very mobile, crave brains, and are rather immune to most damage.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: If you all send me $1.00... - 03/03/08 02:26 AM

Not being a zombie hunter, I have to wonder about "...A zombie can only be killed with a headshot..."

Who discovered this? Is a headshot manditory? Is there a season on zombies, bag limit, minimum caliber, etc???
Posted by: wildman800

Re: If you all send me $1.00... - 03/03/08 02:29 AM

Most important question----Are Zombies good to eat,,,very important info to a Cajun!!!!!
Posted by: RobertRogers

Re: If you all send me $1.00... - 03/03/08 02:46 AM

I know alot of Zombies. They do not know they are Zombies, but they are. Also known as "PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER." in some circles.
Posted by: LED

Re: If you all send me $1.00... - 03/03/08 03:42 AM

And for those warmer climates where storage may be a problem there's always zombie jerky.
Posted by: climberslacker

Re: If you all send me $1.00... - 03/03/08 03:43 AM

btw do you have a paypall donation center that i can donate to

j/k or am I??
Posted by: loner5667

Re: If you all send me $1.00... - 03/03/08 04:13 AM

I think I drank a Zombie once.... grin

Re: If you all send me $1.00... - 03/03/08 04:27 AM

I would rather have a semi-auto 12 gauge and a long machete as backup. Here's why:
Although you are right that a headshot is desirable, it requires that the nervous system becomes disfunctional, such as with decapitation or a splattering of most or all of the brains out the back of the head. The higher the nervous system is destroyed, the better, as if the zombie is chopped in half at the waist, it could still pull itself along with its arms, so best go for the head or neck. But remember, it might take more than one small caliber hits to the head to actually destroy its brain to the point it cannot move at all.
Stay informed, stay alive!
Don't get bit, and Happy Hunting!
Posted by: benjammin

Re: If you all send me $1.00... - 03/03/08 01:02 PM

In a previous post, I had a much more effective solution for destroying zombie hordes...Chlor-Tri Flor. Just make sure you are upwind or in a hermetically sealed glass container when you discharge it. The only thing I know that will actually make zombies run screaming into the night.
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: If you all send me $1.00... - 03/03/08 03:04 PM

Quote:
I would rather have a semi-auto 12 gauge and a long machete as backup.

What kind of weapon you want is going to depend on what kind of zombies you're facing. If it's the bloodborne zombification virus type zombies you want to stay away from anything that's going to allow splatter.

Range weapons... "Better safe than zombie™"...

Re: If you all send me $1.00... - 03/03/08 05:03 PM

Chlor-Tri Flor, for when you aren't sure what sort of zombie you are dealing with. One size fits all.
Posted by: BrianTexas

Re: If you all send me $1.00... - 03/03/08 05:10 PM

Zombie Survival Manual was an excellent read. Decent preparedness information coupled with "laughing so hard that I was crying."

Sounds like many of our posts grin
Posted by: BillLiptak

Re: If you all send me $1.00... - 03/03/08 06:37 PM

Well Blitz......
Mr. Brooks suggests the M1 .30 caliber carbine for zombie hunting. Short, lightweight and compact. More than enough power for shooting thru rotted zombie melons. Smaller/lighterweight cartrage means more ammo on board for the same weight size as higher calibers.....made in mass quantities so parts/spares should be easy to come by. Ruger made, not sure if they still do a single action pistol (revolver) that also fired .30, that way your rifle AND pistol would use the same ammo. That way less space would have to be devoted to ammo differentials to keep diffrent caliber systems loaded.
A fine weapon for TEOTWAWKI and zombies wink
Now if you're looking into some thing for "zombie sniping" i.e., long range hunting......
A savage in .308, hell just about any .308 bolt rifle will fit that bill. If you also wanted a "civilian" .308 assault rifle (semi auto firing) then a springfield M14, G3, CETME, FNFAL would do ya just fine.

-Bill Liptak

Re: If you all send me $1.00... - 03/03/08 06:56 PM

Thanks Bill!

You just saved me from having to unpack 6 boxes of books to find my copy! smile

Re: If you all send me $1.00... - 03/03/08 07:12 PM

By the way, AMT made a semi auto 1911 style pistol for the 30 carbine as well. Didn't seem to last long, but what a concept.
Posted by: BobS

Re: If you all send me $1.00... - 03/03/08 07:31 PM

I use to have a 30 Carbine Ruger single action revolver, it had a very big boom when fired for some reason. It was as loud as the 44 Mag revolver. I still have a 10-inch 30 carbine barrel for my TC contender, but I never shoot it any more.

How do flame throwers work for Zombies? It may not explode their head, but it’s gotta mess up your day. That is if you can mess up the day of someone that’s already dead?

Re: If you all send me $1.00... - 03/03/08 09:35 PM

Here is a good writeup:

Grin and Barrett

I think it states in there that this rifle is specifically designed to take out zombies. Or maybe not. smirk

Blitz

My scanner is going off non stop - 03/04/08 01:06 AM

I've never heard it this active. Has it started already? There have been numerous incidents tonight, (at least 15 different high priority calls, nevermind fire/rescue) one guy hitting several cars while driving, leading to a high speed pursuit. I didn't know zombies could drive. Man it has been non-stop for 4 hours now. I live in a medium sized town, about 25000, (medium by Central MA standards) I've never heard this much chatter since I've been here, 3 years.

Wondering if there is something in the air tonight?

Blitz

Re: If you all send me $1.00... - 03/04/08 01:09 AM

Izzy,

Huh?

I've heard the 6.8mm M468 what is the M486? Is that a typo 4mm? I would hope that are troops out there are getting a smaller round.

confused

Blitz
Posted by: SouthDakotan

Re: If you all send me $1.00... - 03/04/08 02:25 AM

Here's what you need.
http://www.fbmginc.com/index.php?page=sh...rt&Itemid=1
It's more than a barret, but looks like it's well worth it. grin
Posted by: Raspy

Re: If you all send me $1.00... - 03/04/08 05:35 AM

Sorry I can't even afford the $0.41 stamp let alone the buck.

But personally I'd go for one of the big Barretts. That way I can drop them far enough away so I don't have to worry about the smell. Also I don't have to worry about carrying the ammo around.
Posted by: Reddave

Re: If you all send me $1.00... - 03/04/08 05:28 PM

http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/sh08-e.htm

zombie boys......bring it on

6 of shot 6 of slug for long and close range dezombification
wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-EiFtypUfQ

not dropping magazine like ALWAYS HAPPENS in films and you choose whether to unzombie someone humanely or not
Posted by: Dan_McI

Re: If you all send me $1.00... - 03/04/08 05:36 PM

I always wanted one of these, just in case there was a plague of zombies in my neighborhood: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cm6kYT2tMaA

Posted by: BrianTexas

Re: If you all send me $1.00... - 03/04/08 07:19 PM

Originally Posted By: BobS
I use to have a 30 Carbine Ruger single action revolver, it had a very big boom when fired for some reason. It was as loud as the 44 Mag revolver. I still have a 10-inch 30 carbine barrel for my TC contender, but I never shoot it any more.

How do flame throwers work for Zombies? It may not explode their head, but it’s gotta mess up your day. That is if you can mess up the day of someone that’s already dead?

The problem with using the flamethrower against zombies is that it takes to long to reduce them to ashes. While the zombie is afire, it can stagger around (uttering zombie-type moaning) setting other things on fire, including the guy with the flamethrower (always a bad thing.) Zombie killing requires something that will blow out the brain cells at a distance. This is also why machetes are not useful (too close to zombie for head removal.)

I can't believe I actually took the time to write out an answer...I guess I need to get a life crazy
Posted by: TheSock

Re: If you all send me $1.00... - 03/05/08 12:44 PM

Zombies are the dead come back to life, first invented in the film 'Night of the living dead' and then in various sequels. Any part of a zombie entering your body (in one film cremating a zombie re-animates the local graveyard with the smoke) kills you. then brings you back as a zombie.
death hurts and eating human brains stops the pain.
we use zombies on this forum as a fun way of hypothesising a disaster to prepare for, without getting into the 'well i don't think the chinese/russians (or whoever)have chemical/biological (whatever) weapons that will do this', since the original scenario is clearly nonsense.
the Sock

>Hey,

Colour me stupid fellows, as I have heard reference to "Zombies" on this site a few times, and have no idea what you are talking about?

Please fill me in.

Thanks,

Mike

Re: If you all send me $1.00... - 03/05/08 01:32 PM

Actually, zombies go back in history much further than the film industry. It was an alleged voodoo belief that people could, under the right circumstances, be brought back from the dead, not really alive, but reanimated and feeble-minded. That belief goes back at least a couple centuries AFIK.

That's what I like about Chlor-Tri Flor. It reduces organic matter to such base molecular components so quickly, infection would be impossible. Whatever it contacts is elementally reduced.

Zombies are the penultimate survival scenario. Short of having the planet blown out from under us, if you can theoretically survive a perpetual zombie attack, you should be in a good position to survive just about anything else short of cataclysm.

Re: If you all send me $1.00... - 03/05/08 01:48 PM

Originally Posted By: benjammin
not really alive, but reanimated and feeble-minded.

Gee that seems to describe a lot of people I know, as well as, 3/4 of people that drive in this state. eek

Blitz
Posted by: Dan_McI

Re: If you all send me $1.00... - 03/05/08 02:42 PM

I think this would be ideal to carry just in case some zombies decide to ambush you:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=D99NHb6B03s

We all need one of these.
Posted by: GarlyDog

Re: If you all send me $1.00... - 03/05/08 06:02 PM

You have convinced me. Here ya go

Posted by: brandtb

Re: If you all send me $1.00... - 03/07/08 02:39 AM

This fascination with zombies is being blown all out of proportion. They're not as blood-lusting as they're made out to be.

From allmovie.com, "I Walked With A Zombie" -

"RKO producer Val Lewton seemed to thrive upon taking the most lurid film titles and coming up with pocket-edition works of art. Saddled with the studio-dictated title I Walked With a Zombie, Lewton, together with scripters Curt Siodmak and Ardel Wray, concocted a West Indies variation on Jane Eyre. Trained nurse (Frances Dee) travels to the tropics to care for Christine Gordon, the wife of seemingly abusive Tom Conway. At first, Dee merely believes her patient to be comatose. But as the drums throb and the natives behave restlessly, Dee tries to bring her patient back to life by jungle magic. Conway is racked with guilt, believing himself responsible for his wife's condition; his guilt is stoked by Conway's drunken brother James Ellison, who has always loved Gordon. Utilizing very limited sets and only a handful of extras, director Jacques Tourneur manages to evoke an impression of an expansive tropical island populated at every turn by voodoo worshippers. Many of the sequences, notably Frances Dee's first languid stroll into the midst of the native ceremonies, have an eerie dream-like quality that pervades even the most worn-out, badly processed TV prints of I Walked With Zombie.

Re: If you all send me $1.00... - 03/07/08 01:49 PM

Originally Posted By: GarlyDog
You have convinced me. Here ya go

grin grin grin

Good "one" G Dog. Thanks.

Re: If you all send me $1.00... - 03/10/08 12:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Dan_McI
I think this would be ideal to carry just in case some zombies decide to ambush you:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=D99NHb6B03s

We all need one of these.

Dan,

That is Awesome laugh (Boston lingo, please excuse me) I want one!!! First time I had a chance to look at the link and I love it.

Talk about the perfect solution. Probably not very legal around here though. But what they don't know...

Thanks

Blitz