flash their lights at the Pilothouse,
and relocate and repeat the flashing,
just often enough to get my attention,
and make me wonder what those odd flashes are,
and where are they coming from,
so as to drive me nuts!!!

We all needed the laughs that came from a well orchestrated
& planned prank!

What pranks have you admired and/or witnessed in that everyone was entertained & no feelings were hurt????
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: You know your crew is restless when ... - 03/02/08 02:02 AM

I am afraid I have been sworn to secrecy, sorry...
Posted by: Susan

Re: You know your crew is restless when ... - 03/02/08 02:54 AM

"I am afraid I have been sworn to secrecy, sorry... "

Umm, statuate of limitations hasn't run out yet, eh?

Does using Easter egg dye and vinegar on a white Samoyed count?

Sue
Posted by: Blast

Re: You know your crew is restless when ... - 03/02/08 03:39 AM

One bitter cold night while I was attending college in South Dakota several of us covered a car with 1/4 inch of wet newspaper. It was -4F that night and remained below freezing for over another month and a half. The owner couldn't get into his car until almost spring.

-Blast
Posted by: wildman800

Re: You know your crew is restless when ... - 03/02/08 03:52 AM

Now that's being "cold-blooded"
Posted by: Joseph13

Re: You know your crew is restless when ... - 03/02/08 05:25 AM

Whear to start....

#1)
I was elected to get photographich evidence of revenge eneacted.
(here is the blow by blow)
Tom shoved John into his parents swimming pool in highschool. Eleven years later, John decided he had allowed Tom enough time to forget the prior transgression, and hit him in the face with a coconut creme pie, while I took Photoes. Please note this was in a public parking lot with 12 or so whitnesses.

#2)
An overly intoxicatied friend and martial arts sparring partner passed out on my couch with a Bokken (Japanese training sword, usually make of wood) and an eskrima stick (Philipino training stick usually made of rattan) in his hands. So, I took the tennis ball my dog was chewing on away from her, tossed it onto my friends chest as I Yelled Help!

The look on his face was priceless, especially when he started laffing.

I have more of them, but there is just too much to read on this site and all the books I have bought over the last 3 months or so.

Joe
Posted by: Bartman

Re: You know your crew is restless when ... - 03/02/08 09:22 PM

No kidding, there i was:

The pilot taking off his shirt and bounding about the wheelhouse and on top of the console like a primate (including appropriate grunts, clicks and howls). Not sure if my back will ever forgive me for it....;)
Posted by: Dan_McI

Re: You know your crew is restless when ... - 03/03/08 03:09 PM

When the Captain is on the bridge wing, while going through one of the locks on the Welland Canal, and has to be restrained from dropping his pants so he can moon the people who are watching the vessel enter the lock.

Re: You know your crew is restless when ... - 03/03/08 03:17 PM

I know that feeling @ the Welland Canal.

I think it's caused by having to deal with the US & Canadian VTS along the way!

Re: You know your crew is restless when ... - 03/03/08 03:28 PM

Originally Posted By: wildman800
I think it's caused by having to deal with the US & Canadian VTS along the way!

I believe that. I HATE VTS.

Those who work at VTS seem to have little understanding of the limitations of vessel handling.

Ever had anyone tell you to hold a tow up, with a fair tide, relatively little horsepower, and a conventional single-screw tug?

Re: You know your crew is restless when ... - 03/03/08 03:38 PM

Everything but the tow. I sailed the USCGC BISCAYNE BAY, out of StIgnace, for 3 years (87-90) up there.

Re: You know your crew is restless when ... - 03/03/08 03:56 PM

That must have been a nice handling and quiet vessel. I ran some single screw tugs with Fairbanks, and they were always quiet. A pair of Fairbanks and a thruster on the BISCAYNE BAY.

For most of my time, I had 1,800 on one EMD, single screw, single rudder. Very underpowered, when you were moving four of these scows:

http://fuzzyco.com/bare/nyif/Images/big/garbageliberty-new.jpg

Taking them through the Gate more fun than sitting at this desk.
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: You know your crew is restless when ... - 03/03/08 04:18 PM

As a young dormitory-dwelling Airman at Loring AFB in 1982 I had a roommate that was a very prolific snorer. Usually by the end of the night all the shoes in the room where piled up on him.

One day as my girlfriend (future/current wife) and I were going back to the room to get something, I told her to "wait a sec". You see it was only 11 am on a Saturday morning and it was questionable as to whether Joe was up yet (2nd shift worker, Bud drinker, so on and so forth). I cracked the door peeked in, checked to make sure everything was all clear. I determined it was a good time to enter the room. Some gf and I waltz in there. Joe is in the middle of the room in his underdrawers. He is caught between his bed and a chair. He doesn't know whether to S%^& or go blind. He darts to a straightback chair calls me an SOB in his Long Island accent and tells me to give him a blanket. GF and I laugh rather heartily and left. I'm not sure he ever forgave me....

Re: You know your crew is restless when ... - 03/03/08 05:26 PM

Originally Posted By: NightHiker
Shipboard: searching for the manual mast lowering handcrank because the auto function is out and you're approaching a low bridge

At least one of my boats had a crank for the mast, most were even more basic; you sent the deckhand up and he lifted or lowered it using his hands.

Re: You know your crew is restless when ... - 03/04/08 08:11 AM

Being on a small USCG Cutter we would dress the "Boot" in a life jacket, wrap his arms & legs with aluminum foil and have him stand on the dock, moving his arms & legs as needed so we could "calibrate" the Radar.

1 kid, after he went to bed, we dripped green chem light over his blanket and then woke him up, telling him that he had gotten too much radiation and had to be MedEvac'ed.

The kid had a good sense of humor and was then welcomed as part of the crew. The things that icebreaking does to the brain is amazing!!