I'm Nervous

Posted by: Blitz

I'm Nervous - 02/28/08 01:00 AM

I have an interview for a new job on Friday, new company, new career path, big change. I'm a little nervous, I haven't interviewed outside my current company for 7 years. eek

I had a phone interview with the HR hiring manager the other day and it seemed to go well, the immediate supervisor (my future boss?) contacted me 1st thing the next day.

I hope I don't screw it up, all I can imagine is massive sweating underneath the armpits, stuttering, losing control of my basic bodily functions, pulling into the parking lot and hitting the CEO's car etc. frown

I’ve been going through interview questions and responses, techniques via the net.

Does anyone have any suggestions or tips?

Help

Blitz
Posted by: hercdoc

Re: I'm Nervous - 02/28/08 01:08 AM

Before going to sleep, lay there and visualize how the interview will go and what questions they may ask. I did this for the last job I interviewed for and after I got the job, my boss said I blew them away with my answers. I felt confident and not at all nervous. I'm a firm believer in visualization techniques.
Posted by: leemann

Re: I'm Nervous - 02/28/08 01:11 AM

Good luck and hope all goes well.

Lee
Posted by: Joseph13

Re: I'm Nervous - 02/28/08 01:15 AM

Blitz,

My wife and I are in the same boat. I got laid off Jan. 5th '08 and have a potential job lined up with my father-in-law out of state. I will have to find temporay work until the new job starts, and the wife is looking in the area where we will be living.

Remember to keep breating and make some self-actulizing statements such as, "I will get this job", "I am what they are looking for!"

Some of thequestions my wife and I roll-played for a hypothetical interview were:

What is your biggest flaw/worst trait inreguards to this position?

What is you biggest asset?

What was one thing you needed improvement on in your last review?

On-line searches are great for this type of info. Also take a look at a bookstore for "human resources for dummies" books.

REMEMBER TO BE YOURSELF IN THE INTERVIEW!

Best of luck with your job prospect.

-Joe-
Posted by: Jackal

Re: I'm Nervous - 02/28/08 01:17 AM

i use the rocky horror picture show for my visualization technique. remember you have passed the first interview so they must be interested in what you can offer to them.

i wish you good luck

ian
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: I'm Nervous - 02/28/08 02:10 AM

I haven't done an interview since 1970, so I am probably a little behind the power curve in that area, but what worked for me was just being honest, looking the interviewer(s) right in the eye all of the time, don't play with your hands, and for sure don't lie. Good interviewers know the answer to most of any personal type questions before they ask. Good luck...

Re: I'm Nervous - 02/28/08 03:03 AM

Thanks Herdoc,

I will do that, thank you. Usually I think of...well nevermind I don't think I can mention that here.

Re: I'm Nervous - 02/28/08 03:08 AM

Thanks Joe. I hope things work out for you and your wife. Good advice, I will use it. Thank You.

Blitz

Re: I'm Nervous - 02/28/08 03:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Jackal
i use the rocky horror picture show for my visualization technique. remember you have passed the first interview so they must be interested in what you can offer to them.

i wish you good luck

ian

Thank you for the encouragement. I remember RHPS when it first came out (I was to young to go see it) Tim Curry in drag is something I would like to forget though, Susan Sarandon looked nice, maybe I'll visualize her instead.

Thanks

Blitz

Re: I'm Nervous - 02/28/08 03:27 AM

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
I haven't done an interview since 1970, so I am probably a little behind the power curve in that area, but what worked for me was just being honest, looking the interviewer(s) right in the eye all of the time, don't play with your hands, and for sure don't lie. Good interviewers know the answer to most of any personal type questions before they ask. Good luck...

1970?? I was 2. Just how old are you??

confused grin

Blitz
Posted by: bigmothertrucker

Re: I'm Nervous - 02/28/08 03:34 AM

If you do not get the job you could always kick the guy in the junk. that will gain a measure of satisfaction for all the worries you are going through now.

good luck dude.
Posted by: LED

Re: I'm Nervous - 02/28/08 03:34 AM

Having had quite a few interviews I understand your nerves. One thing that will help with your confidence is how you sit in the chair. If its a crappy soft chair (they always seem to be) and you feel like a 7 year old cause you sink down, try scootching up and sitting further towards the front. That way you can keep your back a bit more straight. That does two things, it helps you breathe easier and gives you a more confident body posture. Oh, and at the end of the interview always give 'em a wink and a click while pointing with your double "air" six shooters. Okay, maybe not the last part wink. Good luck.
Posted by: marduk

Re: I'm Nervous - 02/28/08 03:50 AM

Don't think I can add any useful advice to what's been said.
Best of luck! I think it's safe to say everyone here is rooting for you.
May the force be with you!
Posted by: Blast

Re: I'm Nervous - 02/28/08 03:57 AM

+1 on Joseph's answer. It usually pretty easy to answer technical questions in one's area of expertise, but self-critiquing questions are a lot harder. Assume you'll be asked some and pre-plan the basics of an answer.

Also, listen attentively to the interviewer. Don't interrupt and don't start framing your answers in your mind until the person finishes their question otherwise you might miss something.

Good luck, we are all behind you!

-Blast
Posted by: TheSock

Re: I'm Nervous - 02/28/08 08:19 AM

I'm a contractor: 6 months here, 3 months there... So I interview all the time:
tips
The CV can be more important than the interview. Have a good one.
look at the books! I know for a fact I've passed interviews by reading them. They are in your library or book shop.
Practice interview.
If you've time; apply for jobs you don't want, to get the practice.
Go in plenty of time.
All clean clothes, shower and mints.
Keep your hands on your thighs while you are waiting and you can rub them dry as you stand up to greet them.
Start with a joke mildly at your own expense. If they'll ask you how you got here say 'even i didn't manage to get lost'. That should be the last negative thing you say about yourself. They may only remember the negative comment if you do.
You should conrol the pace of the interview. Speak slowly and answer when you are ready.
Have answers ready for these questions
Why do you want this job?
What do you have to offer?
Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?
How would you deal with the situation where your child has just been in an accident and has an hour to live but we want you here?
How do you deal with obnoxious/lazy/dirty colleagues.
What are your strenghts?
What are your weaknesses? The answer should be 'I'm too keen on doing a good job and can forget sometimes perfection isn't needed'.
How do you deal with a problem you just can't solve?

At the end of the interview ask 'Are there any areas of this role you are concerned I might not be able to handle?' This gives you a chance to address that area again or confirm to them you can do the job.
If you don't get the job; write them a polite note saying it was nice to meet them and thanking them for the interview. Then remind them you are still available immediately. Then if the other fellow doesn't work out or turn up they'll know they have a replacement handy. (I've got a job a few times with this one).
There is a proven correlation between nodding eye and eye contact in an interview and the chances of getting it.
Above all remember; PRACTICE INTERVIEW.
A
Posted by: Andy

Re: I'm Nervous - 02/28/08 11:32 AM

Blitz,

Best of luck in your interview. You've gotten a lot of good advice. I think practicing is good, but don't make your answers sound rote. As a guy who's conducted a lot of interviews, here's what I look for during the process:

The individual is well groomed and appropriately dressed.
Gives a good, firm, short handshake.
Speaks clearly and conversationally, this is not the time to drag out the thesaurus.
Keep your answers short and on point and as previously said, be sure to listen and understand the question, but don't be afraid to ask the interviewer to clarify the question if it was unclear.
Don't use jargon or tech speak unless you get asked questions in that manner; make sure you use terms correctly.
Make sure your CV and your oral responses jive. I'm always looking for discrepancies between what the piece of paper says and what the person says.
Be confident but not boastful; if you haven't done a particular job or skill before say so, but be sure to give examples of how you've learned on the job.
Honesty is best, but don't put yourself down.

Please, please, don't ask "How will this job help me get my next job?"

Remember that there's a reason you are being interviewed. They have a need and want to see if you can fill it. You need to make that decision an easy one for them by showing them that you can make their problems go away.

Finally, make sure they know that you want work not a job. You want to make a contribution to the organization and want to be part of their success; you don't want them to make you successfull.

When I hire people it's because they have both the technical and social skills to further the purpose of my company which is to further the purpose of my clients. If you can demonstrate that attitude to the interviewer you'll have a big advantage over others.

Again, good luck and go get 'em!

Andy
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: I'm Nervous - 02/28/08 01:35 PM

Hi Blitz

Always remember you are only allowed only one small white lie on the resume or CV. wink

Good luck with the interview BTW..

Re: I'm Nervous - 02/28/08 01:35 PM

"...Just how old are you??..."

According to my kids, older than dirt...
Posted by: GarlyDog

Re: I'm Nervous - 02/28/08 02:36 PM

Blitz:

I suggest watching the movie "Tommy Boy" so you can get an idea of how not to do sales calls/interviews.

Good luck

Gary
Posted by: LED

Re: I'm Nervous - 02/28/08 05:12 PM

That reminds me of the Tide commercial where the guy's shirt stain keeps screaming every time he talks. Cracks me up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgtfC5LBAW4
Posted by: jdavidboyd

Re: I'm Nervous - 02/28/08 07:36 PM

Originally Posted By: TheSock
How would you deal with the situation where your child has just been in an accident and has an hour to live but we want you here?

That's a good one!

"Well, sir, of course, whatever the company wants, the company gets."
Posted by: benjammin

Re: I'm Nervous - 02/28/08 08:50 PM

A man's gotta live up to his committments according to the priorities established by society if he is to have integrity in the eyes of his peers. Allowing for the severity of the cause, it is expected that your actions would be dicated by the priorities of your committments. Family issues generally take precedence over work issues. Everyone knows and expects this as the standard today. Anyone who doesn't should not expect to employ people with any sense of loyalty, committment or trustworthiness.

Given the grievous nature of the condition, I would expect my employees to see to their personal affairs ahead of their obligations to the work. If they were not so inclined, I would have serious doubts as to their reliability and judgement. In fact, I would fairly insist they leave to deal with the matter because it will likely be a big enough distraction otherwise they would be worthless to me at best, and more likely create a serious hazard.
Posted by: mattnum

Re: I'm Nervous - 02/28/08 09:08 PM

An important thing I've learned along the way: Make sure your shoes are shined, and have a good shave.

If you're wearing boots, a new coat of mink oil will do. (Ha, attempt at humor)

Good Luck

Re: I'm Nervous - 02/28/08 09:49 PM

Thanks for all the great advice and comments everybody. Very helpful!

BMT, why yes I can certainly do that.!

I'm really out of practice with my interviewing skills; I haven't been actively looking, this kind of just fell in my lap.

Thanks everybody you guys are great. I'll keep you posted.

Blitz
Posted by: bsmith

Re: I'm Nervous - 02/28/08 10:17 PM

last minute thoughts:

1. just be you. it's easy - you've been doing it for a while.

2. warning - this is not meant to offend anyone - nor is it meant in the way some might think - but imagine the interviewer without any clothes on. just might make you giggle and put you at ease.

3. see #1.

Posted by: SARbound

Re: I'm Nervous - 02/28/08 11:54 PM

Here is my tip. Just pretend you know this person, that you've been working with him for a while. He is no different than you are, not better, not worse, you are different persons.

Be yourself, smile. Show that you are EXCITED at what's coming for you in this new position ! wink

Re: I'm Nervous - 02/29/08 01:18 AM

Originally Posted By: bsmith

last minute thoughts:

1. just be you. it's easy - you've been doing it for a while.

I can't do that because I'm a jerk, a$$, Pr!ck etc. At least that’s what the people who like me say.

It was funny because I received a call from them on my cell ( I never get cell calls at work) and the people around me heard the conversation and asked me why I was being so nice.

I have to put on my good boy face. That isn't easy for me.

Blitz
Posted by: unimogbert

Re: I'm Nervous - 02/29/08 01:28 AM

All good advice so far.

I'll add one more tidbit. In a seemingly never-ending series of interviews long ago at a company far away (before the current Darkness of HR by formula) set in, several fellows had a standard interview question. They would whip out a schematic and ask the interviewee what it did. (This was an interview for an engineering job with an engineering company.)

They found that this quickly separated the academics from the working engineers. The academics would stutter, stammer and hardly glance at the paper before saying they gave up. The others studied it and started working from what they knew to develop their view of what it did by working on the problem.

All the interviewers were looking for was that the person didn't give up! I didn't give up that day and I got the job.

It was 18 years to my next interview. And it took nearly 2 years to get another engineering job.

Never give up! Never surrender!

Re: I'm Nervous - 02/29/08 01:52 AM

"...I would expect my employees to see to their personal affairs ahead of their obligations to the work..."

That of course depends on what your job is. I was once working when a major earthquake destroyed a large portion of our town, but as an on-duty LEO, I had to keep working for the public good, far from town, not getting home to check on my family/home 'til hours after the event...
Posted by: Comanche7

Re: I'm Nervous - 02/29/08 02:28 AM

Blitz,

Food for thought...your mileage may vary.

Be early (fifteen minutes at least).

When you walk in, carry yourself with confidence(i.e. no slumped shoulders and/or other negative body language).

Presuming that you are in the U.S. then a firm handshake is appropriate when shaking hands with men, be somewhat more gentle but firm when shaking women's hands. This is an introduction, not a strength test. Look folks in the eye and wear a polite smile when shaking their hands.

Make positive eye contact, but don't stare and be sure to include your entire hiring audience in your vision while speaking. One person may have asked the question you are now answering, but they are all in the room with you.

For most office environments a suit and tie is good but don't wear flashy jewelry and be sparing with cologne and aftershave.

Make make to use the restroom [yes, even if you know that you don't have to, you may surprise yourself and this is definitely one less pressure that you DON'T want to have to contend with in the interview] and if the planets line up against you and you do suddenly have the urge, then simply state so and ask where the restroom is (but only as a last resort) the interviewer is human too and will most likely understand...however it does reflect on your prior personal planning.

Be sure to drink about half a liter of water and brush your teeth. The water will keep you hydrated for the hour or two that you will be interviewed and the personal grooming is always good form, be sure that your hands and nails are clean as well.

And while it may bring great pride to wear and display your [insert your favorite charity / organization / school insignia etc.] tie tacks, cufflinks watches etc., now is not the time...these items should be neat but relatively plain. If the interviewers want to know what organizations you belong to, then they will ask, be aware however these questions can lead to discrimination suits so most knowledgable folks will not go there...

Do not be unduly surprised if you walk into a panel interview with several interviewers. Having just conducted 4 such interviews with two other panel members in the last 7 days for postion we're filling in my department, I know that it can be a bit of a shock to the interview candidate. If this is the case for yours, then take a deep breath and smile. If it is your first panel type interview,then it may help to you to relax if you to state the fact (after you've gotten done with the introductions).

If you do wind up with a panel interview, they will likely either have name cards front of them to help you with names. If they don't but they do provide you with their business cards,then arrange their cards in front of you in thesame order that they are seated around you. If there are no name tags or business cards, then take one of your spare sheets of plain white paper(you did bring some with your other documents right?) and neatly write their names and keep it in front of you. This shows organization forethought and keeps names straight when you are under pressure.

BE PREPARED> Without fail, bring a copy of your job application and several copies of your resume with you (and know what you've got written on all these documents). It is frustrating for the interviewers to review a nice resume and/or job application, then when the candidate walks in and starts speaking,it becomes very obvious that there was a ghost writer involved becuase the candidate can't answer basic questions regarding these documents.

Bring your identification (drivers license, Social Security card, green card, resident alien documents, passport etc., even if you were not asked to do so and you do not expect to travel or drive for the company). Having the resume, application copies, license/s etc. on hand shows that the candidate is serious about this interview and knows how to think ahead and be prepared. This includes bringing two working pens (blue and black ink), a highlighter and small but easily read and operated hand held calculator that NEATLY and inconspicuously fits your inside coat pocket.

It has become rather common to ask for a work sample demonstration. The actual work samples will vary by the position applied for, but if you say you know Word 2007 [or insert any other program that applies here]then don't be surprised for example if they give you verbal instructions and ask you to put them into document form. They are testing listening, cognitive and application / knowledge skills.

MAKE SURE that you understand the question and/or directions before jumping to conclusions or answering in haste.

When answering questions, give the answers requested, but try to avoid rambling or any self depreciation.

If the question is something that you don't know the answer to, then DON'T stretch the truth, overtly dodge the question and especially do not lie on any questions (job applications, verbal, or otherwise) as virtually every job now has a hiring clause somewhere that states that any intentional fraud and/or lies may be grounds for termination, now or later.

Expect to be asked why they should hire you. This type of question is basically designed to put you offguard and cause you to demonstrate thinking on your feet. If you are caught offguard by a question, you can generally buy an additional moment or two of time by stating something like, "now that's an interesting question" or "I'm glad that you asked that question" while your go into mental overdrive.

There are a number of good websites that go into great depth and detail on interviews and job searches etc. It is good to look some of these over every now and again.

You stated that your big day is Friday, so if that means tomorrow, then DON'T stay up all night cramming.

Hope this helps out. Please let us know how things go.

Regards,
Comanche7

Re: I'm Nervous - 02/29/08 03:28 AM

Thanks Comanche7 Well taken by me. Some of the things you stated will happen tomorrow. (panel interview, initial tests, face on face interview with the HR lady as well as the boss man) Many others as well. It’s eerie how you nailed almost everything though. I could go on and on about it but I will take your final advice and go to bed.

Thank You,

And Thanks to everyone for your advice and support!!

Blitz

Re: I'm Nervous - 02/29/08 03:35 AM

Blitz,

One last thought...something that has helped me out, YMMV...

Before I go to sleep,I conciously calm my mind and mentally direct my sub concious to focus on preparing me for the event / task at hand tomorrow.

Simple direct positive statements, such as "Subconcious, prepare us to do well and succeed with [insert tasks / event etc. here].

It may sound strange, but it is just like using visualizations during concious preparation sessions, and has the advantage of allowing me to sleep well because my concious mind knows that my sub concious will handle the heavy lifting before hand.

Best wishes,
Comanche7

Re: I'm Nervous - 02/29/08 11:52 PM

Had the interview today, all seemed to go well. I didn't screw up as far as I know. We'll see.

Thanks everyone for your advice and support.

Blitz

Re: I'm Nervous - 03/01/08 12:47 PM

If you don't get it:
Don't forget the note to thank them for the interview and remind them you are instantly available if the other chap doesn't turn up/work out.
The Sock

Re: I'm Nervous - 03/01/08 10:48 PM

Thanks Sock,

I've already done that.

Thank you for your input, as well as everyone else.

We'll see what happens, they told me 1-2 weeks. mad I was the first to interview so that alone doesn't give me hope. eek

Nervously awaiting,

Blitz
Posted by: sodak

Re: I'm Nervous - 03/02/08 01:14 AM

My wife has been interviewing candidates at her company, here's a smattering of answers that she's gotten that are good examples of what not to say. I kid you not, these are real answers.

What do you like most about this position?

The commute.

Do you like working in teams or alone?

Alone. If I'm in a team, then I have to share the glory.

My personal favorite was for a position that my department was interviewing for. We work on the 9th floor of a 13 story building. The candidate was a no-show, and HR called us the next day, telling us how the candidate came, looked at the building, went home, then called and chewed HR out for not telling her the building was over 3 stories high! Go figure.
Posted by: picard120

Re: I'm Nervous - 03/02/08 01:23 AM

I wonder if HR realize that technical people can't speak eloquently as literature professor. I myself sometimes stutter in an interview; the HR assume that I am a incompetent or stupid. I really hate HR for making these judgements.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: I'm Nervous - 03/02/08 01:43 AM

Good luck man, I hope you get it.

Re: I'm Nervous - 03/02/08 02:47 AM

Blitz,

In my opinion, the fact that you were the first to be interviewed is not a bad thing. In our recent interviews that I mentioned earlier, we had narrowed the field from almost 80 applicants down to 5 and we contacted the candidate that appeared to be most qualified (on the job application) first.

Glad to hear that you sent the thank you note. Win / lose or draw, it is a sign of professionalism and courtesy. Even if you are not hired for this position, the note is a good thing. Especially if you apply for another position at the same firm. It will be remembered and could be the the tipping point in a future decision (or even this one).

In the meantime, spend some quality internet time looking at job search and interview tips, anything you can ethically and morally do to improve your chances to be hired will hold you in good stead. Better to spend the "1-2 weeks" in constructive efforts than sweating bullets needlessly.

Regards,
Comanche7

Re: I'm Nervous - 03/02/08 07:43 AM

I'd second Comanche7 on that. Interview as soon as you can, if you look good, they won't put as much effort into interviewing people after you.
And as he says; this is no time for sitting back waiting. Apply for jobs every day. If you are going through agents; ring 'to confirm' they got your application. And if they want to chat; great! you want them thinking of you when a job comes in and not bothering to look on the database.
The Sock

Re: I'm Nervous - 03/02/08 11:24 PM

Originally Posted By: TheSock
if you look good,

I look great!! I'm a legend in my own mind. grin

Thanks though that gives me some hope.

I am not actively looking right now; this job kind of just came at me, a friend of mine told me they had openings so I applied. I am currently working but the writing on the wall doesn't look good for my current company.

Thanks

Blitz