Easy survival...

Posted by: Naseem

Easy survival... - 02/26/08 05:57 PM

PSK? BOB? SAK? FAK? TAK? KAK? You really don't need any of these!!!

Here's more like what you need. Save some shotgun shells in case you come across Mad Max too...

http://jalopnik.com/360213/the-ten-best-post+apocalyptic-survival-vehicles

Nas.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Easy survival... - 02/26/08 06:11 PM

$100,000 for a camperized Jeep Rubicon before options?! Holy cat crap on a stick!

Posted by: benjammin

Re: Easy survival... - 02/26/08 08:34 PM

Hmm, I think for the money I'd rather have a good pack string and well outfitted. They'd last a lot longer, and in the end I could always eat them. Try that with the missle car.
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: Easy survival... - 02/26/08 08:54 PM

The Dobbertin Surface Orbiter... That is the coolest scratch-build I have ever seen...

I'd really love to see that thing in action.

The DSO gets 12MPG and has a 340 gallons capacity, so it could go about 4080 miles, which is quite a distance to get a person out of trouble. Well, that's on land anyway. I have no idea what the MPG for sea travel is.

Cool beans.

Re: Easy survival... - 02/26/08 09:29 PM

http://www.autohomecanada.com/

Any vehicle can be a survival vehicle. One of the above + my Jeep + my camping gear = survival vehicle.

Though I'm still reading the site...I hope they make on that fits my Jeep!
Posted by: Jackal

Re: Easy survival... - 02/27/08 12:26 AM

mine is a 1972 land rover 109 that i found rusting in a field and bought for £50.

completely rebuilt it myself evenings and weekends over 18 months. now i know it will run and if it does breakdown i know how to fix it.

using a modern computerized survival vehicle is a poor choice imho to much to go wrong.

Re: Easy survival... - 02/27/08 01:17 PM

This thread reminds me of the movie "Damnation Alley". LOL
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Easy survival... - 02/27/08 01:45 PM

Horseburgers and mule jerky, yummy...
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: Easy survival... - 02/27/08 01:46 PM

Classic Cheese. LOL
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: Easy survival... - 02/27/08 04:13 PM

That surface orbiter is actually made from a stainless steel milk trailer container. Pretty slick!! I do agree with ben about the pack string. I'd select a whole raft of llamas or alpacas 'cuz they are made for cold and miserable conditions. Plus you can use their wool easier than a horse's hair.

Re: Easy survival... - 02/27/08 04:36 PM

Just don't let anybody steal your camels or you'll end up in Bartertown working for Tiny Turner

Re: Easy survival... - 02/27/08 06:57 PM

Damnation Alley Landmaster restoration

http://jalopnik.com/360536/ode-to-the-landmaster

best post-apocalytpic vehicle
http://jalopnik.com/361370/and-the-best-post+apocalyptic-vehicle-is-the-sisu-xa+185

late surge of votes wonder if that had to do with this thread smile

Re: Easy survival... - 02/27/08 07:15 PM

The xa 185 is only the best post-apocalyptic vehicle if your friends best post-apolalyptic vehicle is the school bus full of gas from The Road Warrior.

I'd still rather have a motorcycle...at least you can push it if you run out of gas and it only takes one camel to pull it! wink

Re: Easy survival... - 02/27/08 07:21 PM

not to keen on camels, oxen would be better with the added bonus of a walking food reserve smile. wonder what mules taste like
Posted by: PackRat

Re: Easy survival... - 02/27/08 08:07 PM

Just convert your existing set of wheels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bennett_buggy

Re: Easy survival... - 02/27/08 08:23 PM

Mules taste a lot like horse. I always found the meat had a slightly sweet taste, comparable to a beef round steak in texture and lean-ness. Mules are a bit more sinewy.

Oxen can get to have a bit of a wild taste if left to forage on their own. You can get mighty bowlegged riding an ox.

Llamas are good, but you can't ride them. Camels have too much attitude. Horses are generally less sensible in the bush than a mule, but tend to also have a better temperament and can go a lot faster.

I've seen pigs big enough to ride, but I don't reckon they would last long on the trail. Ever try to saddle a pig?

Re: Easy survival... - 02/27/08 08:34 PM

I've been in touch with the Autohome people and they're very prompt in returning emails. So far I love everything about them except the price. I guess convenience costs.

Re: Easy survival... - 02/28/08 01:16 PM

Why is it I hear more about Texans (myself included) trying to ride pigs? I guess riding horses gets boring after a while.

Re: Easy survival... - 02/28/08 03:58 PM

something in the beer in texas ?
Posted by: BobS

Re: Easy survival... - 02/29/08 03:33 AM

Originally Posted By: benjammin
This thread reminds me of the movie "Damnation Alley". LOL

That's what I thought of when I looked at the picture of the Dobbertin Surface Orbiter.

Posted by: massacre

Re: Easy survival... - 02/29/08 09:14 PM

That's the one with the huge cockroaches that ate the rubber off the gas station pumps and had the guy from Airwolf, right? Ahh... good cheesy stuff that was. smile