Need a new backpack

Posted by: dweste

Need a new backpack - 02/21/08 12:48 PM

Well, it has finally happened. The old Kelty backpack lasted 25 years with various repairs, patches, hand-sewn additions, etc. But while I was napping a friend placed it too close to a fire thinking it would reflect light and heat and, well, let’s just say the waist belt and bag melted and burned beyond all hope of recovery. The external frame is warped, looks a bit melted in one spot, and I do not trust it anymore. And the stench ….

My friend is very apologetic but I need a new, or at least new to me, backpack. I have been looking on-line and the variety and prices of the “new” stuff are a bit dazzling. My buddy is going to buy the replacement but I am not going to stick him with a $300 plus tab. He insists on buying a replacement though I told him the value of the old pack couldn't be more than $50.

I have no experience with the military stuff but it is intriguing. I am a many-pockets not a one-big-sack guy. The fire experience also makes me wonder if different materials are in order. I like the system packs for which I can get various add-on pouches, etc. beyond the initial $200-250 setup my friend is going to cough up. Never had a camelback and it is not a requirement but I can see the advantages.

So, assuming: a price under $250 and a base capacity of at least 2000 cubic inches, what would you recommend?
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Need a new backpack - 02/21/08 12:53 PM

I think that items that are very personal, as in fit and need, are hard for people to recommend. I would suggest that you visit a outdoor/backpacking store such as REI and try on a variety of their packs. I would not recommend any military packs I have ever seen, they are normally a one size fits none type of thing, very heavy for their size, painful to carry...
Posted by: saniterra

Re: Need a new backpack - 02/21/08 01:45 PM

Since you seem to have had good luck with Kelty, be advised that they make a military/tactical line of packs. Most of them seem to be very similar to their sports/consumer line of packs, both a few seem to have molle compatability. Google Kelty military packs. I myself prefer non-military type gear as it is less conspicuous in a non-military environment. Hanging lots of stuff off of a pack can make it unwieldy, unbalanced and more likely to snag on things.
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Need a new backpack - 02/21/08 06:47 PM

Quote:
So, assuming: a price under $250 and a base capacity of at least 2000 cubic inches, what would you recommend?

You may find this review interesting for the Karrimor Sabre 45,

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/index.php/Carrying-stuff/Karrimor-Sabre-45-Rucksack.html

Re: Need a new backpack - 02/21/08 06:51 PM

I'm intrigued by this one:

http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/Mariposa-Plus.html

Thoughts? Experiences?

Thanks.
Posted by: mtnhiker

Re: Need a new backpack - 02/22/08 09:32 PM

The North Face has a new medium size pack(about 2500 cu.in.) called the Skareb 40. Looks like a good pack. A couple different compartments,hydration compatable etc. I think this is going to be my next pack if my TNF terra 40 ever wears out.
Posted by: mtnhiker

Re: Need a new backpack - 02/22/08 09:37 PM

P.S. The Solaris 40 is another one by North face worth taking a look at. I think they are both around 150.00

Re: Need a new backpack - 02/24/08 08:25 PM

Thanks to all.

My ideal pack spec list so far:

An external frame that becomes an outdoor “chair” back support when the load is removed..

A waist support system that field detaches from the frame to become a standalone fanny, lumbar pack.

A backpack that field detaches from the frame to become a frameless or internal-framed, standalone, pack.

A daypack that field detaches from the frame to become a frameless or internal-framed, standalone pack.

Tough, waterproof bags to be used internally or externally to the external frame or to the other packs.

Detachable sternum strap with secure camera and / or binocular carrying capability for use with any frame or pack combination.

Hydration system that fits both the backpack and the daypack.

Of course everything is ultra light, waterproof, camouflage, and extra durable.

That’s not asking for too much is it?

Re: Need a new backpack - 02/26/08 04:39 AM

Could this be the one?

http://wiggys.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=119&CFID=2384136&CFTOKEN=56721166
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Need a new backpack - 02/26/08 05:26 PM

Hi dweste

Not at 4.6 Kg (10lbs), it isn't. The DG-6 is even considerably heavier than the 120L (vast storage space) PLCE British Army Bergen!! (nearly twice the weight at 2.8 Kg).

http://www.genuinearmysurplus.co.uk/page...d-new/rowid=231

http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/reviews/showproduct.php/product/336 (for some reviews of the PLCE Bergen)

Posted by: JRJ

Re: Need a new backpack - 02/26/08 07:12 PM

You might take a look at http://www.eberlestock.com

In full disclosure I do not have one YET. I have "read" great things about the packs though and will be purchasing one sometime this year.

-JRJ
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Need a new backpack - 02/26/08 07:23 PM

Forum member Taurus loves Eberlestock and I'm sure would tell you all kinds of wonderful things about them if he were here to do so.
Posted by: Jackal

Re: Need a new backpack - 02/26/08 07:54 PM

if the bergan is of interest check ebay always several there new and used personnely use the 120lt bergan for camping and the smaller other arms version for my bobs.

Re: Need a new backpack - 02/26/08 11:00 PM

Jackal and all:

Is the PLCE Bergen with the 2.8 kg weight as shown the same item as the 90 pattern PLCE Infantry Rucksack discussed in the second paragraph? That is, does Bergen = rucksack?

I read the Wiggy’s site to show the 4.61 kg weight includes a sternum strap, waist belt, detachable daypack, hydration space, many pockets, and advanced materials and fittings. I wonder if the extra 1.8 kg might be worth it for Wiggy’s quality, etc.
Posted by: Jackal

Re: Need a new backpack - 02/26/08 11:57 PM

Bergen is from the manufacturer's name "Bergans" usually associated with the British Armed Forces. bergans come in various types and sizes.

Other Arms Bergan is shorter backed and you can add pouches to the sides for more carry space

Rucksack - Patrol Pack PLCE 30Ltr

PLCE
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_Load_Carrying_Equipment

Posted by: Hikin_Jim

Re: Need a new backpack - 03/01/08 01:18 AM

I recently bought a GoLite Quest. I really like it.
http://www.golite.com/Product/proddetail.aspx?p=PA5257&s=1

It has a full internal frame, but it weighs only about 3.2 lbs, about a third of the Wiggy's pack. It doesn't have quite as many pockets as I like, but it fits well and is a pound lighter than my old pack. Light is good.

Fit, by the way, is a big issue. I'm a 6 footer. Most every thing I buy is size L or XL. I've been backpacking with a size L pack lo these many years. I went and got fitted. I'm a freakin' size M. Long legs, shorter torso. Switching to a size M pack made a huge difference in carrying comfort. Huge.

A budy of mine bought an Osprey recently. He really likes it, and it has the detachable daypack feature. Great for trips where you hike in to a "base camp" and then do peak bagging or side trips from your base camp.
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: Need a new backpack - 03/01/08 02:21 PM

For my large BOB, I have what essentially amounts to the MOLLE II Core Rifleman Set. I put together for around $100.00- $125.00 (estimate). It's used gear, but with the exception of the initial coat of dirt in some cases and the lightening of age in others it's all in great shape. I don't have all of the magazine pouches, but I don't need them either.

I like it a lot, but truthfully it's overkill and has been pared down somewhat in some instances and added to in others. I dropped the MOLLE II vest for a low key hunting vest with multiple pockets, so I lost the magazine and grenade pouches as well. I don't need the Sleep Carrier because my MSS bag comes with it's own compression sack and MOLLE attachments. The buttpack stays rolled up in one of the Sustainment pouches. I'm going to replace the Day Pack with something a little more sporty and less cammie eventually.

On top of it all I attach my Eureka K2 XT... I wish I'd gotten the expedition yellow now instead of green... LOL

With it all on I look like an overloaded goof.

Really I don't like being all camoed up like that. Not being seen draws a lot of attention. LOL