A good day canoeing (pic heavy!)

Posted by: Blast

A good day canoeing (pic heavy!) - 01/28/08 02:00 AM

I love living in Texas. Here it is January 27th and I can spend the day with friends paddling down a river 1/4 mile from my door.

Launching at 10am. Air temp: 49F, water temp: 54F

Three sleek kayaks and a 50-year old canoe (mine).

Lunch at 1pm. Air temp: 67F

Back in the water.

We launched at 10am and made final landing at 3:30pm after paddling 16 miles. Pigs, beavers, snapping turtles, and assorted birds kept us company. Talk about a prefect day!
Eat your heart out, Aloha! grin

-Blast

Posted by: aloha

Re: A good day canoeing (pic heavy!) - 01/28/08 02:33 AM

Aloha Blast.

I am pretty green now! That looks like a great day. I wish we had more navigable waterways to canoe on here. We are pretty much relegated to the ocean in terms of kayaking and canoing.

The only river I know of that is large enough to kayak or canoe is the Wailua River on Kauai. But that river is touristy since boat tours go up and down it to get to Fern Grotto. But now that Fern Grotto is closed, it might not be a bad one to try. I am just not sure if there are any good spots to stop.

Man Blast, you... You got my Achilles heel. That's something I have always wanted to do but don't have readily available here. I really enjoyed white water rafting in Colorado, but I think a canoe journey allows you to really experience and enjoy the wilderness. With white water, it's more about the water, I think. While with canoing/kayaking, it involves everything. I could be wrong as my experience is very limited, but that's my take on it.

Blast, you gotta post more stuff now!
Posted by: LED

Re: A good day canoeing (pic heavy!) - 01/28/08 03:11 AM

Thanks for the pics. Whats that tripod thing in the middle of your canoe? Gear rack?
Posted by: wildman800

Re: A good day canoeing (pic heavy!) - 01/28/08 04:18 AM

I am eating my heart out and my canoe (LOLA) in my garage is weeping with envy!!!!!

Re: A good day canoeing (pic heavy!) - 01/28/08 01:03 PM

LED,

Yes, the tripod is a gear rack to keep my pack off the bottom of my very leaky canoe.

Izzy, I'm doing the same with my tax return. I love my canoe but it really is time to move on to something that doesn't weigh 92 pounds.

-Blast
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: A good day canoeing (pic heavy!) - 01/28/08 02:22 PM

"...Wailua River...I am just not sure if there are any good spots to stop..."

The one time I was on it, back in '75, I saw lots of good places to stop. But being in a jungle (or close to it), they may have overgrown by now.

Magnum (P.I.) used to paddle offshore all the time. If he could do it, I am sure you could too...
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: A good day canoeing (pic heavy!) - 01/28/08 02:50 PM

I'm SOOOO jealous Blast.

Here it's -31C right now, -47C with wind chill. And it's going to be a record breaker tonight!
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: A good day canoeing (pic heavy!) - 01/28/08 03:02 PM

Blast--looks like you have not picked out a new canoe yet..
but notice how the guys in the Yaks have the gear on top
of those tippy boats and yours is safe inside..
at another site i exchange notes on canoeing with a guy who
also lives in Texas--Bob--at least he does not RUB IT IN!!!
Posted by: KenK

Re: A good day canoeing (pic heavy!) - 01/28/08 03:29 PM

Ohhhhhhhh (picture the same sound Homer Simpson makes while eyeing a donut)

I really miss being in my canoe. Winter is solidly upon us here in the Chicago area, though today they say we're having a heat wave in the mid 40's.

I have a larger canoe, but eventually would like to get a lightweight solo canoe. My wife just doesn't have the same passion for it that I do.

By the way, I make the very same sounds when seeing Aloha's pics too.

Ken

Re: A good day canoeing (pic heavy!) - 01/28/08 05:32 PM

Izzy,

I settled on a Pelican Navigator, hopefully for my birthday in April. It's only 62lbs but it's big enough for to take the family in it. Plus, the fact that it's only $350 get's DW approval.

-Blast

Re: A good day canoeing (pic heavy!) - 01/28/08 07:59 PM

Aloha Aloha,

Just a reminder, you/your family have a permanent invitation to come and stay with us for a visit! We'd have a great time.

-Blast
Posted by: Blitz

Re: A good day canoeing (pic heavy!) - 01/28/08 11:45 PM

O.K. Blast,

I am officially jealous. Jan 27 here it was 20 degrees and snowing all day, frown The Cape picked up a foot of snow! eek

So will you adopt me so I can go down there and enjoy the beautiful weather and help you blow things up? I'm 39 but everyone tells me I act like a four year old.

Enviously yours,

Blitz

Re: A good day canoeing (pic heavy!) - 01/29/08 02:22 AM

Blitz,

Having spent years in the great white norths of Minnesota, South Dakota and New York trust me when I say I understand what you are going through. it definately sucks to be you.

Now, if I were a bad man I'd direct you to my tales of paddling around in Texas here.

And if I were a truely evil person I'd point out that all those places on my blog where I talk about paddling are within 90 minutes minutes of my house, with most under 60 minutes.

And if I were the devil incarnate I'd mention that I can paddle them year 'round...

Have a good winter.

-Blast

p.s. Oh on adopting you. That'd only work if you were a 10 month old Chinese baby. Sorry.

Re: A good day canoeing (pic heavy!) - 01/29/08 03:12 AM

Aloha Blast, thanks for the invite. I'll let you know next time I make it to the great state of Texas. I was there last a couple of years ago and am not sure when I will be that way next. But mahalo!

Re: A good day canoeing (pic heavy!) - 01/29/08 03:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Blast

Oh on adopting you. That'd only work if you were a 10 month old Chinese baby. Sorry.

Aloha Blast, you are a baaad man. As for being a 10 month old Chinese baby... I guess if the price is right... wink

Re: A good day canoeing (pic heavy!) - 01/29/08 03:17 AM

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
"...Wailua River...I am just not sure if there are any good spots to stop..."

The one time I was on it, back in '75, I saw lots of good places to stop. But being in a jungle (or close to it), they may have overgrown by now.

Magnum (P.I.) used to paddle offshore all the time. If he could do it, I am sure you could too...

Aloha OBG,

You don't understand. Paddling offshore is always available. I want the river paddling that isn't readily available for me. That is a bummer.

Re: A good day canoeing (pic heavy!) - 01/29/08 04:03 AM

Quote:
s for being a 10 month old Chinese baby... I guess if the price is right...

Please tell me my vision of you showing up on my doorstep wearing a diaper is a horribly wrong interpetation of your statement! eek

-Blast

Re: A good day canoeing (pic heavy!) - 01/29/08 04:45 AM

Originally Posted By: KenK
Ohhhhhhhh (picture the same sound Homer Simpson makes while eyeing a donut)

I really miss being in my canoe. Winter is solidly upon us here in the Chicago area, though today they say we're having a heat wave in the mid 40's.

I have a larger canoe, but eventually would like to get a lightweight solo canoe. My wife just doesn't have the same passion for it that I do.

By the way, I make the very same sounds when seeing Aloha's pics too.

Ken

Why mahalo Ken, I thought I asked you not to talk about THOSE pictures. blush

Re: A good day canoeing (pic heavy!) - 01/29/08 04:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Blast
Quote:
s for being a 10 month old Chinese baby... I guess if the price is right...

Please tell me my vision of you showing up on my doorstep wearing a diaper is a horribly wrong interpetation of your statement! eek

-Blast

I agree, diaper for Izzy!

If I show up at your doorstep, it will likely be with leis and chocolate macadamia nuts.

Re: A good day canoeing (pic heavy!) - 01/29/08 02:12 PM

eek eek eek
-Blast

Re: A good day canoeing (pic heavy!) - 01/29/08 09:20 PM

Blast,

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits. grin

Your Pal

Blitz

Re: A good day canoeing (pic heavy!) - 01/29/08 11:15 PM

Originally Posted By: BigDaddyTX
I did just find austinpaddling.com.... sounds kinky.

"OH BEEHIVE"

Austin Powers