man survived in wilderness on rotten meat

Posted by: picard120

man survived in wilderness on rotten meat - 01/22/08 12:34 PM

A man was lost in the wilderness of BC survived on rotten meat of wild animal.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/reuters/080122/canada/canada_survival_col

Is this a isolated case of survival? Can one eat rotten meat and survives?
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: man survived in wilderness on rotten meat - 01/22/08 02:20 PM

"...Can one eat rotten meat and survives?..."

I noticed that the story said that eating the rotten meat made him sick. By sick I presume that they are talking about running from both ends, which equals dehydration, which is worse than not eating for 96 hours. You will not starve to death in that time, but severe dehydration could kill you. I will pass on the rotten meat...
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: man survived in wilderness on rotten meat - 01/22/08 03:57 PM

+1.

He'd have been fine without any food by the sounds of it. I highly doubt he was eating enough to meet his daily minimum anyhow.
Posted by: benjammin

Re: man survived in wilderness on rotten meat - 01/22/08 06:07 PM

Hmm, depends on how you define rotten I suppose.

In SA, part of the Selous Scout training includes killing a baboon and hanging it in a tree for three days, then cooking and eating it. I've not had baboon, but I reckon that hanging a dead one in a tree for three days probably doesn't improve the taste much.

I also wonder just how rotten the carcasses were if it was cold enough to give him frostbite. I doubt he was exposed to any really nasty pathogens, most likely he gagged maybe on the smell or the texture, given that the animals were likely whole. Even cooked, most animals don't taste real good when they aren't dressed out first. In any case, he wasn't in a starvation mode yet so I don't know why he started eating them so soon.
Posted by: Stretch

Re: man survived in wilderness on rotten meat - 01/23/08 12:52 AM

Maybe it was fresh, but he gagged on the thought of the poor beast...lying there without saran wrap, styrofoam, and a USDA sticker. Or maybe, without a price tag to remind him of the high cost of game meat, frugality went out the window and he overate.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: man survived in wilderness on rotten meat - 01/23/08 02:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Stretch
lying there without saran wrap, styrofoam, and a USDA sticker.

Silly ETS member. The USDA doesn't work in Canada!