Mixed feelings about hunting

Posted by: handyman

Mixed feelings about hunting - 01/02/08 03:48 PM

I was just curious about this . Anyone else feel this way ?
I love fishing and hunting but I always feel bad about the killing . IMO , unless you are a strict vegitarian , every time you eat meat or fish you are really just hiring someone else to do the killing for you . I don't like tropy hunting and eat the game I take . But ,I can't shake the bad feeling I have when I kill something .
I have a real problem with some of the hunters I've run across that shoot just about anything that moves and seem to get a big thrill out of killing something .
I also have a problem with hunting seasons and huntig of predators - coyote , bobcat , etc. for several reasons .

Posted by: Stretch

Re: Mixed feelings about hunting - 01/02/08 04:18 PM

I'm like you in every respect except: I don;t normally have ill feelings about the killing. I have helped butcher at least 3 large game animals (deer and oryx), but I have never killed one. Small game animals don;t bother me a bit, but I think I might have some feelings if, after shooting a deer or other large animal, I arrived to find the animal still alive and struggling to live.

I agree about the trophy hunting too. I don;t have a problem with hunters who kill and process a large game animal, and then take the trophy for mounting, but I do have a problem with those that hunt solely for the trophy.

I have no problem hunting predators. The best meat I ever tasted, bar none....none....is cougar taken from the Davis Mtns in west Texas. I haven't hunted a mountain lion yet, but I'll doggone sure stalk the barbeque pit for scraps like a hyeena until I do hunt one!
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: Mixed feelings about hunting - 01/02/08 04:27 PM

Handyman...The extinguishing of a life is a powerful thing. That is why the vast majority of aboriginal peoples honor the animals in their various ways. Even in Germany, where hunting is more like shooting fish in a barrel, some of the lodges practice the rite of thanks by having the hunters lay across the animal as a way to show the respect to the animal.

The deeper issue is most likely that everything in this world has been "Bambi-ized". This may sound harsh..but they are just animals. However, we must smartly manage wildlife through sound conservation and harvest practices. Due to the success of these programs the deer populations on the East Coast have exploded, as you are probably well aware. Through careful culling of bucks and the occasional does the herds have responded very well. The deer are almost as pesky as woodchucks, rats and rabbits; they are everywhere.

This may sound odd, but I have no problem with a true trophy hunter. Consider this; how many true trophies are out there? It may take a true trophy hunter 3,4,5 or more seasons before they find the animal that is truly a trophy. Also, they usually won't fill their tag at all. Despite the "failures" leading up to that take they are still buying licenses and gear. In general, supporting the sport. Additionally, they typically donate the meat. Now your boneheads who just want a rack for the wall...they shouldn't be hunting...period. Let them buy a resin rack from some retailer.

If/when you are present at the final breath of an animal or human you come face-to-face with your own mortality. Very powerful medicine. Some have sworn off hunting due to that experience alone. Your decision will no doubt be guided by your own worldview.

I will leave you with this... The fact that you are affected shows you are willing to confront some of the larger issues in the human experience.
Posted by: Susan

Re: Mixed feelings about hunting - 01/02/08 05:42 PM

"I love fishing and hunting but I always feel bad about the killing."

Why shouldn't you? You just deprived a creature of it's life. So you have a conscience, that's not a hanging offence. I regret the hamburger that was killed in my name. But I still eat it.

It seems to me that the dividing line is that you're eating the meat, and not just having a fun time killing things, like too many guys.

You probably also take care with WHAT you're shooting. I try not to go out in hunting season anymore. Many of those guys shoot at anything that moves, looks like it might, or any large stump with a 'rack'. They kill cattle, goats, llamas, dogs, people, cars, and each other. They wound animals and don't go after them to finish them off, because it's too much trouble. A woman in OR twenty years ago had a German Shepherd drinking out of his water bowl on her porch and he was shot by some fool who apparently "didn't notice" the house, the porch, or the ring of loose, colorful scarves that floated around the dog's neck, a talisman against bozos.

IMHO, trophy hunters are just people with big egos and little you-knows. So what if they give the meat away? It's illegal to do otherwise, isn't it? So they have a stuffed head with glass eyes and a big rack, so what? Nothing has been proven to anyone, it's all in their head.

Sue
Posted by: Taurus

Re: Mixed feelings about hunting - 01/02/08 07:01 PM

Besides being in the field for my job, Hunting is mostly the reason I spend time in the field while not at work. I love to hunt. As a kid it was often necessary to hunt with the old man just to help make ends meet but now it’s all for the fun involved. In fact I get just as excited for the opening of Deer/Moose/Grouse/Duck/Goose season as I do for Christmas. I don’t need to hunt as I can easily afford to buy meat. There is just something about casting and reloading my own bullets and using them to stalk and hunt an animal that is very fulfilling. I also butcher my own game and the first steak or maple sausage that comes off of the BBQ tastes just a little bit better knowing that it was all done with my own hands. Any respectable hunter does not shoot at anything that moves. Just like everything else in life the bad actions of the few paint a bad picture of everyone else. I do not hunt for trophy as I feel no need to impress anyone with exaggerated mighty hunter stories and I would much rather harvest a big fat doe than a buck in the rut because the meat tastes better and is usually much more tender. If a trophy happens across my path then of course I will take the shot. I despise poachers who waste meat only to take an animal’s horns or fur. If I kill it, then the animal gets used to the full extent possible. Besides using the meat I have a friend who takes the fur and uses it for fly tying, and the rack goes to another friend who uses them to make knife handles. Even the heart, kidneys and liver get eaten unless they appear tainted.(makes one hell of a pie!!) I have no problem with the killing of an animal so long as it is a clean kill. Like any respectable hunter, my heart sinks when a bad shot results in a crippling shot. I have only done it twice but most people who hunt have made that bad shot despite their best efforts(just not all will admit it) I get really mad when a hunter gives up on a wounded animal without first exhausting every possible method to end its misery. I ended up staying in the woods overnight once because of a shot taken just before last light missed its intended mark and hit the Deer in the guts. As soon as I saw the animal’s reaction (he arched his back like a cat and ran) I knew I was in for a long night of tracking. I waited for a few hours to allow him to bed down and bleed out and then with the aid of a blue LED light I took up the trail. It took me till the next morning to find the sucker where he had finally died some 300 m from where the shot was taken but I would have felt horrible to have not ever found him. On another occasion despite the fact that the deer was a perfect angle and well within my ethical range, the deer moved at the instant I pulled the trigger resulting in the bullet hitting the guy’s leg. A deer with three good legs can still cover ground fairly fast and before I could follow up the shot he was gone. I spent the whole night and most of the next day looking for it but because of the rain there was no blood trail. Feeling really bad about it and just about to give up I happened across another hunter who had saw that same deer in the morning and had shot it. I was relieved. I think IMHO that if you respect the game which you hunt and try your absolute best to give it a clean, quick death and every possible amount of effort when you take a bad shot to prevent it from suffering needlessly then as long as the meat is not wasted there is nothing you should have to feel bad for.
Posted by: norad45

Re: Mixed feelings about hunting - 01/02/08 07:26 PM

Quote:
IMHO, trophy hunters are just people with big egos and little you-knows.

I'm sure that will come as a surprise to women who trophy hunt. I personally know four, none of which has a "you-know" that I am aware of.
Posted by: benjammin

Re: Mixed feelings about hunting - 01/02/08 08:37 PM

I believe that most people take hunting and fishing for granted, or at least have a disconnected attitude toward those activities. That is a shame, for as the only truly sentient creatures to have roamed this planet (as far as we know), we have a responsibility to manage the resources at our disposal.

Killing game animals, especially bigger ones like deer, salmon, or even predators ought to be a morally/ethically challenging, and sadly for a lot of folks it isn't. If we go about the business of harvesting game in an ethical and responsible manner, we are actually improving the outcome for the remaining game, their habitat, and the environment in general. That is a good thing. Having taught hunter ethics, it is a challenge to get young minds to think in terms of the importance of the actions they are about to undertake, and the consequences. Too often they get wrapped up in the actions and seldom think of the outcomes. The act of hunting and fishing, whether actual harvest occurs or not, pays for most all of the habitat improvements and wildlife monitoring programs directly.

If there was one thing above all others you could undertake to ensure that wildlife continues to prosper and populations continue to increase, it would be to go out and hunt and fish.

In addition to killing my share of wild things and having worked in a slaughterhouse, I've had to put down a fair number of pets, sometimes with just my own two hands. For me, the feeling is similar, just more intense the closer you get to the animal in question. It should always feel a little hard on the heart to do this, that ole yeller effect I suppose. Being able to get past that feeling and still do the deed is a sure sign of maturity in my book. It's not much of a stretch to go from euthanizing a pet for humane reasons to participating in the legal thinning of a herd to keep it healthy and in balance with it's environment. It'd probably be a healthy attitude to have when bringing children into this world as well I reckon.
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Mixed feelings about hunting - 01/02/08 09:10 PM

I too have mixed feelings.

It would be one thing if hunters were, at considerable trouble and risk to themselves, hunting for subsistence and respectfully entering into a verdant, healthy and intact ecosystem to harvest the fat of the land and protein to keep themselves alive.

Problem is that most hunters are not filling a vital need in their families diet. Most hunters, and their families, are thirty pounds overweight and consume far too much fat and protein for their own good.

The money they spend for special hunting gear every year would buy more meat at the local Mega-Mart than they safely eat.

And hunting, especially as it is so often done down here, release the dogs and wait to shoot the deer as it runs across a road on the other side of the quadrangle, is not a sport. The deer never win and seldom break even. Exception being when the beer saturated hunters blast each others trucks as the deer bounds between them.

Even the ecological role many hunters claim is a bit of a crock. I have never heard a hunter brag about how weak and mangy the deer he just shot was. Even the most honorable hunters don't fill the roll of a predator. A predator kills the weak, old, diseased and slow while leaving the strong and vibrant of the species to perpetuate their line. Hunters always aim for the strongest, largest and healthiest while leaving the weak, old and diseased.

Of course the hunters are also only interested in certain animals. So the ecosystems are manipulated to favor those types. Florida had something like a dozen species of deer not too long ago. Now white tail deer constitute the vast majority of the deer remaining. Humans have the uncanny ability to reduce a vibrant and diverse ecosystem to a narrow, fragile mono-culture in a remarkably short amount of time. It isn't just hunters. Loggers, four-wheelers, ATV enthusiasts, sport fishermen and developers all get a piece of this action.

Of course one of the most disgusting sights I saw while hiking was where a hunter had shot a deer and skinned it. The hunter took the head and skin for a trophy and left the carcass to rot. I spent more than a few hours dreaming up the appropriate punishment. Medieval doesn't even begin to cover what I had in mind. Hannibal Lector would blanch.

Of course the biggest threat to wildlife isn't hunters. It is habitat loss. Parking lots, strip malls and McMansions stobbed in every 200' eat up territory. A lot of this comes down to cars and highways. Before interstates there were very few 'bedroom' communities or long-distance commuters. If you worked in town you lived in town. Cars and highways have allowed the miles and miles of suburban wasteland to exist.

As we expand into the wilderness every square inch of land is accounted for and 'owned'. Bears and deer don't pay taxes or build the cubist nightmares of suburban life that keep the builders and developers smiling so they get compromised out of existence. At least hunters tacitly own the harm they do.

I have been hunting a few times. Only got one deer. Using a high-power rifle I shot him. Clean shot at perhaps 150m. He bolted, took three bounds and fell over. He tried to get up a couple of times but by the time we got there, perhaps a minute or so, it was dead. I was amazed at how pretty and graceful the deer was. And how easy and unfulfilling it was to shoot. I felt better about seeing and observing the deer than shooting it.

It also dawned on me that I had given no thought to what I would do with a dead deer. I lived in an apartment with very little in the way of methods of cooking and a refrigerator so small it barely would hold a twelve-pack of beer. Luckily my friend had a chest freezer and a family that ate deer regularly. When we got to his place we carved off a few choice cuts for me to have at home. His father appreciated the hide as he was teaching a Boyscout troop how to tan leather. Cool deal by me.

So that was my deer hunt where I came back as 'the mighty hunter'. We went out to drink that night and everyone told me what a great shot it was and how proud I should feel. I didn't feel proud. I also didn't feel like a monster or murderer. I didn't feel much of anything. It was so mechanical. The deer never saw it coming and shot without any joy or feeling. Only something like mechanical efficiency. The only feeling was a feeling of competency with a little luck. I had followed procedure and the bullet had landed where I aimed it. I felt lucky the deer died quickly. I don't think it suffered much. The look in its eyes was one of surprise, not anguish or pain.

On following hunting trips I was always careful to make sure I 'didn't have a shot' and a 'missed' a couple of times. I sure did like to be out in the woods. Hunting inspired me to get back into hiking.

I feel like I have proven to myself that I can hunt. That I can carry through with the mechanics of the harvest. If I was forced by events to hunt again I think I could give an adequate showing of myself.

But one question keeps surfacing. Exactly what role does hunting play in survival? In most disasters I'm not likely to be where hunting is possible or practical. After a hurricane shooting game in a semi-suburban environment seems more hazardous than it is worth. And showing up with a forty pound deer carcass when folks are worried about the meat defrosting in the freezer seems wasteful.

If I was to find myself in a remote area hunting sounds good but I think my biggest concern would be getting found or getting back to civilization. Hunting could easily turn into a distraction. At most I might take small game if it presented itself along the way. A squirrel or rabbit or two might be beneficial as long as I didn't have to take too much time or trouble to get it.

Of course there is always the mythical mass breakdown of civilization. I doubt I would be doing much hunting in that case either. There are likely a couple million mall ninjas and part-time hunters out there. You can pretty much count on all of them to be out there harassing the local wildlife. I see no advantage to getting caught in the crossfire. Let them kill each other off. I will be hunkered down until the gunfire and screaming stops.

Point being I don't see a big role for hunting in most survival situations I'm likely to find myself in. If and when I see a role for it I feel I could get the job done. I don't have any compunctions about killing if killing is the most effective and practical way to go.

Posted by: ponder

Re: Mixed feelings about hunting - 01/02/08 11:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Stretch
The best meat I ever tasted, bar none....none....is cougar.... I haven't hunted a mountain lion yet...

My guess is that you have tasted mountain lion. You probably just didn't know it. It tastes identical to cougar.
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Mixed feelings about hunting - 01/03/08 12:11 AM

I'll bet they both taste a lot like puma...

Re: Mixed feelings about hunting - 01/03/08 12:12 AM

"...I also have a problem with hunting seasons..."

That's interesting, may I ask why???

Re: Mixed feelings about hunting - 01/03/08 12:21 AM

Most will claim that PANTHER is by far better than COUGAR. Some think the lowly MOUNTAIN LION has too much of a musky smell over the PUMA.

Re: Mixed feelings about hunting - 01/03/08 12:23 AM

Originally Posted By: handyman
......I also have a problem with hunting seasons and huntig of predators - coyote , bobcat , etc. for several reasons .

For several reasons, I would recommend that you not go.

Re: Mixed feelings about hunting - 01/03/08 12:35 AM

Gotta add some tabasco I guess...

Re: Mixed feelings about hunting - 01/03/08 12:46 AM

Wow dude. You appear to have a fairly strong opinion on this one!! Just keep in mind that not all of us who enjoy hunting are beer swilling, overweight trigger happy red necks that kill everything that moves with reckless abandon. There are a few of us out there that respect nature to the fullest. We just really like to hunt.
Posted by: MartinFocazio

Re: Mixed feelings about hunting - 01/03/08 01:10 AM

I'm with you there.
Hunt it to eat it - you should be stuffed by IT, not the other way.

I thank the creatures I kill and eat for giving me life.

Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Mixed feelings about hunting - 01/03/08 01:12 AM

I don't hunt though I do fish. Many fisherman keep their limit regardless. I don't keep a fish unless I have explicit plans to eat it the same day.

When I'm camping I feel incredibly satisfied if I'm able to walk out to a nearby river or lake and catch dinner...it just doesn't get any better IMO.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Mixed feelings about hunting - 01/03/08 03:20 AM

People who hunt just to kill, and leave the carcass to rot or only take trophies actually scare me- there is something very unnatural to that, and the only one I met had a weird "vibe". The kind of vibe that in high school I got off the skinheads; not making a judgment, just an observation that may or may not be free of subconscious bias.

But if I intentionally kill something, it is for one of three reasons: defense (of self, property or domestic animals), kindness (still breathing roadkill, etc), or to eat. And if I eat it, I use just about everything or pass it on to someone who can, down to the bones, and I also thank it and wish it's spirit a swift passage into the next life. What I can't use, I return to the earth.

And if I get eaten by a catamount or wolf, the joke will be doubly on me- one becuase I got eaten, and two becuase I've said for years I don't think they are back in this area. :P

EDIT: Oddly enough, I never felt a thing when I was working on a farm and several of the cows where culled. Then again, I never did figure out which one had an itchy side while I was between it and the wall and a couple of my ribs got broken in the process. No, I don't hold a grudge or anything.

Re: Mixed feelings about hunting - 01/03/08 12:03 PM

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
"...I also have a problem with hunting seasons..."

That's interesting, may I ask why???

It is the hunting seasons on predators that I have the problen with .
The reasons I don't like the hunting of predators :
1. It's said that some game animals must be hunted to manage the population . This might be true in some cases like where areas are more thickly settled with humans . But in areas where there is enough space for predators , if the population needs to be thinned out to keep it healthy , why not let the predators do it naturally ? Why thin the population of predators ? Like ArtinFl said , you don't have hunters going after the sick , injured and starving game . Most hunters will try to get the biggest and healthiest animals .
2. Hunting wolves , coyotes , bobcats etc. is not hunting for food . It is trophy hunting .
3. Unless a predator is sick , injured or has become a danger to humans or livestock , I see no reason to hunt them .
4. I just don't like the idea of shooting dogs or cats - domesticated or wild - unless it is absolutely necassary .

Re: Mixed feelings about hunting - 01/03/08 12:13 PM

I'd like to thank the people who took the time to respond with insightful , well thought out replys .
Personally , I hate typing , I'm not very good at it .

Re: Mixed feelings about hunting - 01/03/08 01:17 PM

"...It is the hunting seasons on predators that I have the problen with..."

OK, thanks. I thought you were talking about two different things there, which is why I was confused...
Posted by: clearwater

Re: Mixed feelings about hunting - 01/03/08 06:55 PM

If I want to shoot something, paper is a lot easier to sneak up on,
let alone clean and butcher.

A friend who is a commercial deep sea fisherman calls catch and
release "fish torture".

Re: Mixed feelings about hunting - 01/03/08 07:21 PM

It is a sad indictment that Art reminds us about. For too many years our concerns about conservation and wildlife management were essentially non-existent, and it is true that even still we encroach where the land was open and animals went about their business. Fortunately, minds and ways of doing things are changing. The neighborhood development I moved into outside of Denver two years ago was constructed in such a way as to be more favorable to wildlife. In fact, the resident deer and antelope herds there have done well enough that they now exceed the numbers present before development of the area was planned. The reason being more forage was made available to them, no hunting pressure at all, and better cover, as transition zones were included in the development plan with trees and shrubs and gulleys. It was not uncommon to sit in the kitchen some days and watch a herd of 20 or more Mule deer walk by through the yard, browsing the brush and drinking from the birdbath. Yes, it is more artificial than the natural environment. The point is I think it is an improvement.

So even though things are bad in places, and you will find examples of unethical activity anywhere you care to look, you can also find where men have made the effort to improve the chances for wildlife to thrive. With every box of ammo I buy, every pair of socks with the Browning logo on the side, I am doing much the same thing, maybe not on such a grand scale personally, but along with millions of other hunters and fishermen across this land, we are making a tremendous difference. It won't fix everything, but it has made it better in some places than it ever was before. That's one reason why there are more whitetail deer in North America now than there were when Columbus landed in 1492. It may not be ideal for all, but it is better by a darn sight than to just leave it as it is, or was, in many cases.

Art does balance our argument out. He points out that we still have a long way to go, but I think participating in hunting and fishing can still be a big part of that effort when done for more than just the sport of killing that he refers to. That is never acceptable behavior, I don't care what jurisdiction you find yourself in. It certainly is not what is taught by any state agency, and is not part of the hunter's code of ethics anywhere I've hunted yet.

I am overweight, and I do hunt and eat venison and other wild game in addition to eating beef and chicken etc. Not only do I like the taste of wild game better in most cases (except the Armadillo I've eaten, blecch!!!), but I also eat it because it is usually better for me than the domesticated stuff. If I had a choice between eating beef or elk, I will always go for elk, even if I have a thousand pounds of beef in the freezer. Is killing an elk any different to me than killing a beef cow? Only in method and the amount of respect I have for the animal (beef cows being less desirable a food source and lacking in the fair chase process and the collateral experience of the hunt).

Re: Mixed feelings about hunting - 01/03/08 08:31 PM

As a general statement, not directed at anyone here....

All I know is that every time I eat (with a few exceptions) something has to die. Be it meat or vegetable it dies so it can live, and whether I am the one who kills it or the one who buys what someone else has killed that is simply the way life is. Living in Alberta I have a few friends who have worked in slaughter houses and from what they tell me a lot of questionable ethics are in place in that industry as well. In fact, a bullet is way more humane than some of the ways cattle are killed. I think hunting is an excellent thing for those who like it. A hunter has a big responsibility to keep their actions in check so hunting may be enjoyed by all those who like it. If you hunt and play by the rules, Great! If you prefer not to hunt, also great! There are bad hunters and good ones. If I happened across someone who left an animal in the woods to suffer or who has left a carcass to waste only to collect a trophy then I may grab that person by the hair and march his ass, willing or not to the nearest warden. People who do these things ruin it for people like me, who have much respect for hunting. For those who take it all to the other extreme(tree hugger types)Before a person gets too judgmental about how I am taking the life of something they must realize that each time they buy meat from the store that something still had to die, probably in far worst a way than the Deer I have taken. For those who think hunting is still not necessary, stop by my place next time I have some fat, juicy Moose burgers on the grill and I will prove just how wrong you are(LOL !!)

Re: Mixed feelings about hunting - 01/04/08 03:39 PM

Yes, to live is to consume. After spending half a year toiling day and night in my garden, come harvest time there is a pinge of reluctance at having to remove all those lovely plants I worked so hard to care for. I could even go so far as to say that it inspires the same sort of reverence as what I have for harvesting wild game, or going to my cousin's house to help kill the steer I helped feed and care for.

Those who respect life have the sort of ethics that preclude them from wasting such a commodity, be it the zucchini they just picked, or the duck they just blasted outta the sky. Taking that prize pumpkin to the fair for that blue ribbon is akin to taking that cape and head to the taxidermist for me. That pumpkin may win the prize, but at the end of the day, it will get eaten, same as the deer I shot and the cow I thumped.

Re: Mixed feelings about hunting - 01/04/08 08:46 PM

I am going to classify myself as "true trophy hunter" because I have yet to fill a deer tag. Not because I haven't gone afield in search of critters but because the darn things always are in a different part of the world than I am. The running joke is that I go "camping with guns" not hunting.

Re: Mixed feelings about hunting - 01/05/08 12:19 AM

You sound JUST like me! My wife, while babysitting the kids of other hunters, shot a deer. I, on the other hand, tramped all over the hills of central CA and never got a shot!!!
Posted by: Eugene

Re: Mixed feelings about hunting - 01/05/08 02:31 AM

i did the same thing a couple years ago. I hadn't made it deer hunting in years and WV had a few days overlap between buck and doe season because the doe population was overpopulated that year so we went down then. Others in the family there had seem some deer but everyone was waiting for the big buck so no on had shot any in days. I never cared about horns, I just want the meat. Parents house in in a valley and there is a dirt trail up the side of the mountain to the rest of their farm. hopped in the truck and started to drive up on the farm and saw a doe about 1/2 way up, hopped out of the truck and laid the gun across the hood, shot it and loaded it up and went back down. My wife and mother were going to go shopping and hadn't even left the house yet and I was done. So I let my wife shoot my gun some before we took the deer up to check it in. Some of my cousins living there live for deer season, count down the days until the next one, save up their vacation for it, have automated feeders with motion activated digital cameras (one managed to find the memory card from one with pictures of a bear destroying it), have super expensive guns in fancy cases that you hear the air seal pop when they unlatch them and went away empty handed while I hunted for a whole five minutes with an old youth rifle dad bought my from Kmart when I turned 13.

I don't like the idea of sport hunting myself. To me that is just wasteful, I don't fish because of this either because fish seems to upset my stomach so I don't want to do the sport catch and release. I never squirrel hunted after disliking the taste of my first squirrel (greasy mess). The little 20 gauge barrel for that youth gun sat on the rack for around 20 years until I bought a clay thrower and use it for that now. But when I was growing up on the farm those deer would come in and eat our garden and crops so when we hunted it was getting back what they took from us, just in a different form smile

Re: Mixed feelings about hunting - 01/07/08 02:09 PM

Lately my "hunting efforts" have been more like mooching wild game meat from my friends that can go and hunt. I finally scored a standing invite and may go sometime this month or next.
Posted by: brandtb

Re: Mixed feelings about hunting - 01/07/08 04:30 PM

It seems hypocritical to me to criticize hunting unless you're a vegetarian. What's your alternative? Some chicken who's been raised in a pen the size of a milk crate with two other chickens and never sees the sky except on its way to the slaughterhouse?

If you didn't hunt and kill the animal it would live longer, granted, but what would be its fate? Get old and injured and die of starvation or be brought down by wolves?

Re: Mixed feelings about hunting - 01/07/08 07:01 PM

I could go one step further and say it'd be a little hypocritical unless you grew your own food, wove your own clothes from your own cotton, and built your own house from lumber you grew and cut and rocks you quarried and moved on your own property with your own two hands.

We consume on so many levels, food is only one layer. You'd have to give up just about everything including money if you really wanted to make a legitmate claim about non-impacting the environment and living a healthier life. I know a few strict vegetarians that are as obese and unhealthy as any meat eater, and a few old, lean injuns that barely ever eat anything but meat. It isn't a health choice or an environmental choice, so it must be strictly a lifestyle choice that people go for the vegetarian thing, so far as I can tell. That's absolutely acceptable, long as they don't try and peddle it for anything more than what it is.

Re: Mixed feelings about hunting - 01/08/08 02:05 PM

Some chickens are raised that way., some are allowed to play in groups in yards. Ultimately it is a question of economics. I don't find much difference in my cooking using chicken breasts that sell regularly for $1.79 a lb vs. those that sell for $2.99 a lb, except that I save a boodle. Likewise with regular eggs vs, those "organic" variety. Nobody that eats my food seems to be able to tell the difference none either. Now they can tell right away when I am using grouse or chukar or pheasant.

Posted by: Brangdon

Re: Mixed feelings about hunting - 01/12/08 01:30 PM

Originally Posted By: benjammin
Some chickens are raised that way., some are allowed to play in groups in yards. Ultimately it is a question of economics. I don't find much difference in my cooking using chicken breasts that sell regularly for $1.79 a lb vs. those that sell for $2.99 a lb, except that I save a boodle.
For me ethics is also a factor. There's a limit to how much suffering I'm prepared to inflict on other animals in order to save a dollar.

(There's just been a couple of TV series about chickens in the UK, so it's currently a hot topic.)
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Mixed feelings about hunting - 01/13/08 02:12 AM

IMHO cruelty is to be avoided to the extent it practically can be. Not so much because it inflicts pain on other sentient beings. But because of the morally corrosive effect gratuitously or needlessly inflicting pain has on the person inflicting the suffering.

Torturing small animals is one of the red flags warnings of a child turning into a sociopath.

If you must kill, for whatever reason, then some care should be taken to do it as humanely as reasonably possible. You shoot the rabid dog to eliminate a clear and present threat, to end the suffering of the infected animal that will die tortured, and because there aren't other practical options.

Re: Mixed feelings about hunting - 01/13/08 07:41 PM

We are talking about chickens here folks. Let's get a grip. Look where we are..Around the Campfire!!!
Kill'em, skin'em, and eat'em.

Re: Mixed feelings about hunting - 01/14/08 03:37 AM

Some chickens are pretty tough...

Link

Re: Mixed feelings about hunting - 01/18/08 08:14 PM

Yep, I remember Grandad making me hold the legs on a hen he had to get ready for dinner. He swung that axe, and I ended up holding on to a pair of chicken handlebars on one of the craziest rides of my life. That hen kicked her legs and flapped her wings and dang near beat me into the ground, all the while Grandad and Uncle Jimmy were standing there laughing so hard they couldn't breathe, while I am going "Whoa, Whoa, Whoa!". I ended up covered in blood and feathers and Lord knows what else, but I never let go of them drumsticks!

It weren't the first time I seen how dinner was got, but it was the first time I realized how much work it was to get it done.