pack of wolfs attack female joggers

Posted by: picard120

pack of wolfs attack female joggers - 12/23/07 09:52 PM

CNN news report wolf attack group 3 women joggers.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2007/12/22/alaska.wolf.attack.cnn

how do you guys defend yourself against wolfs? gun, pepperspray, Taser gun.

The wolfs were definitely weren't shy of humans in this situation. This isn't isolated incident. There were other attacks too.
Posted by: CityBoyGoneCountry

Re: pack of wolfs attack female joggers - 12/23/07 09:58 PM

Originally Posted By: picard120
how do you guys defend yourself against wolfs?

Ruger GP100 .357 magnum loaded with Buffalo Bore 180 grain flat nose gas checked ammo.
Posted by: ponder

Re: pack of wolfs attack female joggers - 12/23/07 10:14 PM

[how do you guys defend yourself against wolfs? gun, pepperspray, Taser gun.]

PRIMARY: Rem 870 AOW 10.5"barrel, 12 ga - With 4 - 000BUCK.
BACKUP: Glock 10 mm, with 180JHP.
Posted by: Frankie

Re: pack of wolfs attack female joggers - 12/23/07 10:35 PM

A couple of mawashi, mae, yoko, and ushiro geris on the muzzles accompanied by energic kiais while stepping back until you reach your vehicle.
Posted by: Blitz

Re: pack of wolfs attack female joggers - 12/23/07 10:42 PM

There were warnings posted about the wolves in the area. Best defense would be not to go there. Common sense isn't. 2nd defense (if you're stupid enough to ignore the warnings) would be pepper spray. Last defense, Mossberg 590 with buck shot.

IMO

Blitz
Posted by: raydarkhorse

Re: pack of wolfs attack female joggers - 12/23/07 11:18 PM

Sounds like another case of civilized people expecting mother nature to conform to their expectations, rather than conforming to mother nature. The first time I went to work in Alaska, the people I worked with who were from the area wouldn’t have dreamed of going out of town more than a few hundred yards without a gun & knife.
Posted by: handyman

Re: pack of wolfs attack female joggers - 12/23/07 11:34 PM

First , I'm always packin a 357 where/when it's legal . But that being said , If it was me in that situation , I would have shot a wolf only as an absolute last resort . A warning shot probably would be enough to scare them off and even doing that would not be the first thing I did . The women obviously didn't need a firearm . I think it's a good thing they did'nt have a firearm because IMO they were idiots . In their state of mind they probably would have just wounded one of them and made things worse or shot each other . They were running/jogging in a place that was known to have problems with with wolves . They were turning there backs on the wolves until they finally figured out that was a bad thing to do . Was that the only place they could go jogging ?
This type of story really bugs me . I could type out a very long rant about the stupid way a lot of people react about wildlife they encounter , wolves , coyotes , bears , wild turkeys [yes there was a local women who freaked out about a couple of turkeys in her yard ] , possums , racoons etc. . But I'll just say this - If you are afraid or can't deal with the wildlife you might encounter , DON'T GO THERE !!! Go live in the city !
There are too few places [and getting fewer] that wildlife , like wolves , have space to live . Give them their space and leave them alone .
Posted by: UTAlumnus

Re: pack of wolfs attack female joggers - 12/23/07 11:37 PM

Same as from two legged critters when at home: 20ga. w/ 000 buck. Away from home is a 22 until I can afford to upgrade to a 9mm.

Re: pack of wolfs attack female joggers - 12/24/07 01:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Blitz
There were warnings posted about the wolves in the area.

I wish they would post some public jogging areas in Idaho. It is damn hard to find a quality trail like that!
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: pack of wolfs attack female joggers - 12/24/07 01:21 AM

When we were in Alaska a couple of years ago, outside of the "cities," it was rare to see a local who was not armed with at least a .44 mag.

As for jogging with the wolfs, I don't jog...
Posted by: LED

Re: pack of wolfs attack female joggers - 12/24/07 01:25 AM

I'm pretty sure a marine air horn (the small ones) would have done the trick. Something you could easily carry when jogging.
Posted by: Blitz

Re: pack of wolfs attack female joggers - 12/24/07 01:31 AM

Simple fact is, they were in area they knew was not safe. On top of that they went in with animals that would be prey in the natural environment. That to me is just stupid.

Posted by: raydarkhorse

Re: pack of wolfs attack female joggers - 12/24/07 01:50 AM

Originally Posted By: NightHiker
Originally Posted By: ponder
There were warnings posted about the wolves in the area.

I wish they would post some public jogging areas in Idaho. It is damn hard to find a quality trail like that!

I've got mixed feelings on that, I can't decide whether I'm more anxious to get rid of wolves or joggers. laugh

Joggers with out a doubt!!!!!!
Posted by: big_al

Re: pack of wolfs attack female joggers - 12/24/07 02:18 AM

You people have it all wrong, Walk with A female Wolf in heat, No problems. smile

Re: pack of wolfs attack female joggers - 12/24/07 02:19 AM

...On top of that they went in with animals that would be prey.... That to me is just stupid.

That to me is just bait!
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: pack of wolfs attack female joggers - 12/28/07 06:11 AM

Exactly how much of an 'attack' was this?

Due to my slow connection I couldn't view the video. I have read about what might be the same, or a similar, incident. If so the women were not killed. More 'threatened' and afraid than anything else.

Wolves are intelligent and curious. Might be the wolves were just sniffing around and playing. Being wild animals and predators they are rough and easily draw blood from us thin skinned humans.

IMHO if the pack had intended to seriously maim or kill they would have. The outcome largely defines the intent. The joggers get away because the wolves let them.

The joggers also showed a great deal of disrespect and a lack of caution running when they knew wolves were present. Instinct of both cats and dogs is to chase and nip at any running animal.

Confronted with wolves or large cats you face them and back off slowly. The worse thing you can do is turn and run.

IMHO anyone who can't observe simple common sense rules for sharing territory with wolves needs to stay out of their territory. Stay indoors, run on your treadmill and when you do go outside stay in your SUV.

I see no harm in carrying a can of bear spray. Heavy hands with a bite. But this shouldn't be seen as an alternative to common sense steps like staying away from known wolf areas when running and stopping and backing out slowly if you see them.

IMO firearms are overkill on anything less than a wolf that has clearly demonstrated hostile intent. Chasing and scaring runners too stupid to respect the wolves and act appropriately doesn't qualify.

If and when wolves clearly demonstrate hostility a shotgun would be my choice. I think your going to find a #2 and #4 buck shot to be optimal. Double ought, and especially triple ought, are way too large. Your going to have massive holes in your pattern and end up either missing or maiming the wolves.

Kill if you must to end a clear and immediate threat but kill cleanly. No need to be cruel.

An interesting site with useful information:
http://www.wildsentry.org/WolfAttack.html

It points out that the overall risk of wolf attack is quite low. I'm far more likely to slip in my tub and drown than to be harmed by a wolf.
Posted by: KG2V

Re: pack of wolfs attack female joggers - 12/28/07 09:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
...snip...The joggers also showed a great deal of disrespect and a lack of caution running when they knew wolves were present. Instinct of both cats and dogs is to chase and nip at any running animal.

...snip...
IMHO anyone who can't observe simple common sense rules for sharing territory with wolves needs to stay out of their territory. Stay indoors, run on your treadmill and when you do go outside stay in your SUV.

...snip...
Chasing and scaring runners too stupid to respect the wolves and act appropriately doesn't qualify.

...snip...

Now, just to play devils advocate here:

The Wolfs showed a "great deal of disrespect and a lack of caution" when dealing with humans. Instinct of humans is to remove threats to themselves.

...snip...

"IMHO any animal that can't observe simple common sense rules for sharing territory with Humans needs to stay out of their territory."

...snip...

"Chasing and scaring runners is too stupid for Humans to respect the wolves "

Humans are the top of the preditor chain, both because we DO know when to back off (most of the time), OR we pre-plan and eliminate threats. 50-60 years ago, we would not even be having this discussion - that pack of wolves would already be dead, and their pelts on the way to market
Posted by: benjammin

Re: pack of wolfs attack female joggers - 12/28/07 01:25 PM

Such may be the case again. Wolves are just as easy to kill today as they were a hundred years ago when they were all but eradicated. Their survival, as with any other critters roaming our lands, is at our will and pleasure. When we tire of their nostalgic appeal and our sense of guilt returns to where it should, they then may also go the way of the Dodo. Perhaps we may be magnanimous enough to keep a few as pets or in zoos, like most of the other wild beasts that someday will be gone from the wild places.

Species come and species go. That's the way it's always been, and there are no exceptions. Our number will come up sooner or later, but for now, we can enjoy being A#1, the dominant species of the globe, masters of all we survey. I doubt seriously we will ever get smart enough to prevent our own demise. Therein also, I already believe our days here are numbered as a matter of faith, but that's a good thing (well, for some of us anyways).

Re: pack of wolfs attack female joggers - 12/28/07 01:51 PM

Yeah - I've actually gotten to see an Alpha wolf up close and personal, and NOT in a cage (was brought on a tour to the local environmantal center)

The handler actually believed "there are no documented cases of wolves attacking humans" - I had to supress the laughter on THAT comment.

I will say he was an AMAZING animal - and his handlers had him under amazing control. That said I felt a lot better that he was in a spot that there was NO way he was getting to me OR my children. Picture a really really fit husky - and about 75% larger, and a LOT more muscles
Posted by: Russ

Re: pack of wolfs DID NOT attack female joggers - 12/28/07 02:34 PM

The wolves attacked Buddy, the American Bull Terrier who incidentally fought back and survived. If the wolves had attacked the female joggers they would have had video from a hospital instead of the veterinarian. The first part of the video is all about the women being surrounded, THEN they mention that the wolves were after the dog as food. The women were slower, weaker and easier targets, but still the wolves went after the ABT instead of the women.

Next time they should go jogging without the ABT and see if the wolves are still interested. If they attack the women without the dog there we'll have a scientific data point indicating that wolves do attack people wink All we know now is that these wolves attacked a dog -- no big deal, we knew they attack and eat dogs.
Posted by: ChristinaRodriguez

Re: pack of wolfs attack female joggers - 12/28/07 03:44 PM

Simple: NOT going jogging on a trail clearly posted with signs that warn of wolves.

All those women, and not one brain between them to stop and think, "Hmmm, I'm living in Alaska. I know by the signs that wolves have attacked humans and dogs on this trail fairly recently. I'm armed only with pepperspray. Hmmm, maybe we should just go to Curves, instead."

Once again, a little situational awareness would've prevented this whole thing.

Re: pack of wolfs attack female joggers - 12/29/07 12:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Christina

Simple: NOT going jogging on a trail clearly posted with signs that warn of wolves.

...snip...

.357 Mag or a .44 Mag will work too - jog and don't worry
Posted by: Susan

Re: pack of wolfs attack female joggers - 12/29/07 06:33 AM

Here's a text article: http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/6420ap_ak_bold_wolves.html

Dogs are easy prey, esp when the owners stake them out on chains like bait. They get a few schnauzers, poodles and labs, and they figure dogs as an easy source of dinner. Hey, they're training them to eat dogs, then whining when they do. And this is the wolves fault???

Alaska, even outside Anchorage is WILDERNESS, Stupid! Why didn't these women from a (probably fenced) military base just stay on the base? Why blame the wolves for giving out Darwin Awards?

Also up in that area, they've been crossing wolves with domestic dogs (mostly Malamutes, I think) for sled dogs. The local Wolf Haven people say when you do that, you produce wolf hybrids who don't fear people, but they maintain their wolflike instincts. Does this sound like a good idea to you?

Natural Selection.... it's the LAW.

Sue

Re: pack of wolfs attack female joggers - 12/29/07 01:33 PM

The .44 I used to own, and the only .357 I still have (which is just as big as the .44) would beat me to death if I tried to run with it! Not to mention making me run in a circle from the extra weight on one side...

Re: pack of wolfs attack female joggers - 01/01/08 04:37 AM

Susan - "Why blame the wolves for giving out Darwin Awards?"

Excellent turn of phrase.

Do you mind if I use that?

IMHO if we are to have wilderness we have to have wild animals. Animals that need predators present if they are to stay healthy long-term.

Humans can't, or won't, do the job. Evidenced by the simple fact hat hunters don't brag about how old, sick, emaciated and scraggly the animal they shot was. Hunters tend to try to shoot exactly the animals that should be living the longest and reproducing the most. The largest, biggest, healthiest animals they can draw a bead on.

Part of going into a wilderness area is not being perfectly safe. Living on their terms. Taking some risk because it is one of the few areas still out there where every facet hasn't been made to cater hand and foot to humans. If you are careless or foolish there is a good chance the wilderness will call you on it. I would prefer that the wilderness stay wild.

I realize I would see it differently if I, or a friend or relative, was the one getting lunched but at some level I think that joggers feeling the raw fear of being eaten is a good and healthy thing. Humans too easily fall into pride. Assuming we are the be all and end all of all things. Much healthier to realize that the universe does not care. That we are just another in a long string of animals that have dominated this sphere for a time. That if we don't play our cards right, or simply find ourselves unlucky, we could find ourselves on the menu. Possibly even 'as dead as the dodo'.

The FAA studied the last transmissions from airplane crashes. They noted that one of the most common noises made by the pilots, just prior to the obligatory 'OH SHI...', followed by deafening silence, was whistling. Optimistic, carefree, self-confident, self-assured whistling. The epitome of pride before the fall.

In survival if you find yourself feeling entirely confident and carefree, and/or whistling, you know your overlooking something. Fear is healthy. Wilderness, with large animals which could potentially see us as food, or a toy, helps keep us on our toes. A good thing.

Humans need something out there handing out 'Darwin awards'.
Posted by: frenchy

Re: pack of wolfs attack female joggers - 01/01/08 09:00 PM

I didn't see the video..
Anyone knows if they were blonde ??
Could be an explanation ...

grin grin grin
Posted by: red

Re: pack of wolfs attack female joggers - 01/01/08 09:20 PM

Quote:
Yeah - I've actually gotten to see an Alpha wolf up close and personal, and NOT in a cage

Yep, I have video from 2 years ago of one at my car 10 feet away. I'm sure he was just a regular sized wolf, but he sure seemed big in comparison with my car.

Some old timers shooting photos with me said that was a "once in a lifetime". One of them thought it was going to raise a leg and mark my Subaru.

I think that the possibility of wildlife attacking is something that we talk about alot on this forum, but how many of us really have an idea of the difficulty of surviving after the attack? As far as I can tell, most who survive are with others who scare/fight of the attacking animal and go for help/apply first aid. Survival becomes much more delicate with a mauling thrown in. My favorite account was Hugh Glass' incredible survival after a grizzly mauling, but I imagine he didn't want to go through that again for all the money in the world.

Something for me to think about as I used to go solo quite often.
Posted by: 7point82

Re: pack of wolfs attack female joggers - 01/01/08 09:26 PM

The sniveling, helpless, overwhelmed blond just about made me sick. sick

Others have already said it but... if you want to live in town; live in town & if you want to spend time in wild places then you should be prepared to deal with whatever you may encounter there.
Posted by: picard120

Re: pack of wolfs attack female joggers - 01/02/08 01:10 AM

Originally Posted By: frenchy
I didn't see the video..
Anyone knows if they were blonde ??
Could be an explanation ...

grin grin grin

No, they were brunettes. grin
Posted by: frostbite

Re: pack of wolfs DID NOT attack female joggers - 01/02/08 04:42 AM

Agreed, it was Buddy the snack food they wanted. In pulling the dog around by the leash they were showing the wolves they were willing to fight over the "food", when meeting wildlife don't pick a fight with it-leave the food and take care of yourself.

Mace, a Large gun, and possibly a road flare, for intimidation.

They should've had more sense.
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: pack of wolfs attack female joggers - 01/02/08 05:06 AM

Alaska is a dangerous place regardless of where you live. Anchorage had 7 resident brown bears in the city limits when I lived there in the mid-80's. People get stomped by moose every year. People just have to be very aware and take great precautions in their actions. While Alaska is intoxicating in its beauty, that very same feeleing from the intoxication can kill you very, very quickly.

Re: pack of wolfs attack female joggers - 01/02/08 02:58 PM

"...the military bases in Anchorage teem with wildlife..."

Somewhere I have a pic of a pilot sitting in his F-16, with a cow moose trotting across in front of him. So if a moose can sneak on, ya gotta assume that wolves can also...

Re: pack of wolfs DID NOT attack female joggers - 01/02/08 09:27 PM

Originally Posted By: frostbite
Agreed, it was Buddy the snack food they wanted. In pulling the dog around by the leash they were showing the wolves they were willing to fight over the "food", when meeting wildlife don't pick a fight with it-leave the food and take care of yourself.

Mace, a Large gun, and possibly a road flare, for intimidation.

They should've had more sense.

I hadn't seen it that way. But if I drag a line with bait on it at sea they call it trolling. Works on the water. Why not on land. Trolling for wolves anyone?
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: pack of wolfs attack female joggers - 01/02/08 11:35 PM

20+ years of paddeling around in the middle of nowhere and
this is the only wolf i ever saw..early evening across a
small river and he was gone in a few seconds...

where do all these attacking wolves come from??
and why does photbucket fail to resize my photos???