Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset

Posted by: Blast

Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset - 12/05/07 03:58 AM

I love my Swedish Mess kit but at almost three pounds it was way to heavy.
Luckily I have a Dremel tool and like Dinty Moore Beef Stew.

Write-up here.

-Blast
Posted by: JCWohlschlag

Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset - 12/05/07 05:55 AM

That’s just a work of art, man! wink
Posted by: LED

Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset - 12/05/07 06:03 AM

Very nice Blast. I have an extra Trangia burner that will soon have a Dinty Moore home. Question: What did you use to make the screen stay put? Epoxy? Flue tape?
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset - 12/05/07 09:00 AM

That looks very good and very functional. I'm also curious about how you attached the screen, soulder??

What's the weight???

Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset - 12/05/07 12:56 PM

The entire cookset (burner, windscreen, pot, matches, bic lighter, plastic fork, plastic spoon, EMPTY fuel bottle, and a bag to hold everything weighes just 1.15 pounds.

I originally planned to hold the screen in with rivets, but it turns out it doesn't need anything. I bent the screen so that its curvature was greater than the can. The springiness of the expanded metal screen wedges it in place.

I may make a secondary windscreen which will be just a bit bigger than the pot, but I haven't used this set in any conditions where I've needed something to stop the heat loss from the pot. With this design all the burners heat gets directed to the bottom of the pot. Very little heat escapes unused.

-Blast
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset - 12/06/07 03:39 AM

Looks great- my only concern is lighting the stove. I've had trouble with that with my add ons.
Posted by: aloha

Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset - 12/06/07 07:29 AM

Aloha Blast, nicely done. How much thermite do you put in your stove?

As usual, I enjoyed reading your blog. You are so blessed with such a beautiful family. You get lots of dirt time and you have a propensity to blow things up. Man, what more can a guy ask for?

Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset - 12/06/07 01:22 PM

Quote:
my only concern is lighting the stove.

It's no problem. The bottom of the Dinty Moore can was also cut off. I just light the burner as normal, set the Dinty Moore windscreen/potstand over it, then set the pot on top. Ten minutes layer I'm eating rehydrated goo.

-Blast

Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset - 12/06/07 05:21 PM

Quote:
How much thermite do you put in your stove?

25g to boil water, 37g to heat up a can of chili, and if my calculations are correct, 2 lbs of thermite in three stages to cook a turkey. wink

-Blast
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset - 12/07/07 02:22 AM

You still haven't tried this? *grins* We so need to have an ETS retreat. If for no other reason than the thermite turkey.

Although, I don't know if I can make anything out of those left overs. *laughs*
Posted by: DaveT

Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset - 06/06/08 12:45 PM

Hi all - sorry to necropost here, but I was wondering if anyone had a line on the Swedish Trangia stove/mess kits.

Several months back, Sportsman's Guide had a fantastic deal on them - four Swedish mess kits and eight of the stoves and alcohol bottles for just over $20. I didn't have any cash in the "fun money" account at the time, and then suddenly (not surprisingly) they were gone. Has anyone seen a similar deal? I'm constantly kicking myself on this, because I'd love to have a couple for the cars and a few more to stash away in different places.

My normal places to look for these don't seem to have them anymore - has anyone seen a place to pick up a few?

Thanks

Dave
Posted by: thseng

Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset - 06/06/08 12:55 PM

I just grabbed one from the local Army Navy store (Whitehall, PA) for about $16. They had some left but the rest were a little rough.

I haven't tried mine yet, perhaps I won't like it...
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset - 06/06/08 02:02 PM

Cheaper than Dirt lists one for $11.97. I have not purchased from them in a long time, apparently lately some folks have had some problems with orders from them, so order at your own risk...

Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset - 06/07/08 01:31 AM

Weird...this was a discontinued item for them and Sportsman's Guide the last few months (when I'd looked)...I'd stopped looking and assumed the source for these had dried up.

Thanks

Dave

Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset - 06/07/08 02:00 AM

Nothing ever dries up, the price just goes up...

Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset - 06/08/08 01:17 AM

They come in waves to Sportsman's Guide. Wait a month or two and they'll probably get more in stock. But jump on them fast because they are in high demand.

-Blast
Posted by: leemann

Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset - 06/08/08 06:09 PM

Try cheaper than dirt they have them in stock last time I checked. zrw-170 is the product #.

Lee

Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset - 06/09/08 11:43 AM

So, how's this for coincidence? Blast says to keep checking, and I went back to Sportsman's Guide and they now have 10-packs of the stoves, the alcohol bottles and the stove "sleeves" - the outer wind guards for the mess kits. But, not the mess kits themselves.

So I ordered a set - I've got various mess kits to use, and the stoves were what I wanted. Weird, isn't it?

Thanks for suggesting I look again

Dave
Posted by: thseng

Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset - 06/09/08 12:43 PM

That's great, because I tried mine out this weekend and its pretty neat. Looks like Dinty Moore Beef Stew for lunch today...

Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset - 06/09/08 05:20 PM

Figured I should add in a link to the items. Here's the deal from Sportsman's Guide - which I just ordered:

Sportsman's Guide - 10 stoves, bottles, stands (no mess kit)

Cheaper Than Dirt - with mess kit

Dave

Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset - 06/11/08 09:22 PM

OK, so my order has arrived. It's...a pretty huge stack of the burner stands filled with the fuel bottles and Trangia stoves. They all seem to be in pretty good shape. There's some slight staining on the outside of the stoves - anyone know what this is and how to get it off?

And Blast, how big was the big Dinty Moore can you used to shield your burner? I'll need to make a couple (or a lot) of those, unless I can find find a couple of the Swedish mess kits alone (without the stove kit and stand). Anyone want to trade a Swedish mess kit (or two) for a pair of the stove sets/bottles/burner stands? smile

Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset - 06/12/08 12:52 AM

The discoloration is just tarnish plus maybe a little color change due to heat. Try cleaning it with Brasso or some other metal polish.

I think the Dinty More stew was a 24oz can, but I'm not sure. It's 3.75 inches tall, so you can do what I do, walk around the grocery store with a ruler measuring cans. For extra fun, don't bathe that day and mumble about aliens in your sock drawer.
whistle
-Blast

Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset - 06/12/08 01:24 AM

"...measuring cans..."

Been there, done that. But, if you plan on cutting both ends out of the can with a normal can opener, but sure to inspect the bottom of the can. Some cans are formed from one piece of metal, so there is no rim on the bottom, making it a little hard to run a can opener, or P-38 for that matter, around it...
Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset - 06/12/08 01:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Blast
For extra fun, don't bathe that day and mumble about aliens in your sock drawer.

Are you sure about that? I always heard it's best to get out your cell phone and quote a certain line from one of my favorite movies. "Hello? Cobra Bubbles? Aliens are attacking my house."

Follow that with, "They want my dog!"

At this point you may want to have an actual alien with you trying to ease an explosive situation. "There's no need to alert the authorities. Everything's under control."

And finally you top it all with, "Oh, good, my dog found the chainsaw."

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset - 06/12/08 12:03 PM

Quote:
Some cans are formed from one piece of metal, so there is no rim on the bottom, making it a little hard to run a can opener, or P-38 for that matter, around it...

Dremel tool, all the cutting and humming power of a lightsaber and a similar lightshow when you slice through it's powercord...
grin

-Blast

Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset - 06/12/08 01:36 PM

"...a similar lightshow when you slice through it's powercord..."

You do that too huh? Little bit of electricians tape and you are (maybe) back in business...

Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset - 06/12/08 01:49 PM

After someone here made reference to outdooridiots.com, I went there for a look, and found this . What an interesting windscreen!!!
Posted by: JCWohlschlag

Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset - 06/12/08 02:55 PM

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
After someone here made reference to outdooridiots.com, I went there for a look, and found this . What an interesting windscreen!!!

A piece of collapsible clothes dryer vent ducting… brilliant!

Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset - 06/12/08 03:44 PM

Another one of those "why didn't I think of that" things...
Posted by: Mike_H

Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset - 06/12/08 05:19 PM

Guiness in a bottle! Brilliant!!!

Re: Blast's lightweight Trianga cookset - 10/03/08 01:31 PM

For anyone (like myself) who got in on the Sportsman's Guide deal of 10 Swedish alcohol burners, pot stands and bottles but was left to search for the mess kit that fits into it, I've found one place with a good price on just the mess kits that doesn't also kill you on the shipping and handling charges. Actually, if you have time to wait for it to arrive, they have free shipping.

Swedish mess kit

If you take them up on the free shipping offer, they send it along on the slow boat - or rather, they wait a week or so to box it up, then send it UPS ground. It took about two weeks for my order to reach me, but it did get there and the kits are in what appears to be new/unpainted/unissued condition (they do have some scratches). However, mine's aluminum instead of the stated stainless.

A good value for the price, however - and the usual "not affiliated" disclaimers apply.

Dave